• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Wichu

Yes thats right :)
Something strange I noticed though, in the English version, the voice clips when someone is speaking seem to be very small (like just a 2 word phrase or something) and dont match up with whats written in the text box. Is this intentional, or is the Japanese version different?

I think only the story scenes and class trials are fully voiced - there's too much text in the game to have everything voiced.

Yuuichi

I think only the story scenes and class trials are fully voiced - there's too much text in the game to have everything voiced.

UMD size (and possibly budget, dunno much about the development of the original) concerns are the likely culprit.

Dolgan

Played and finished fault milestone 2 today. Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was a less complete episode than milestone one, but since I knew it was split in side:above and side:below I was prepared.

Some thoughts about the beginning:
I have to say the beginning was... not what I expected. The whole "you died and then I (the player?) undo the whole stuff. The scenes made it look like a programm or something was used. I'm not good at speculating or guessing so I'll just prepare to be surprised in future episodes.

About the episode in general:
We get more character development for our three main girls and get introduced to some new characters in Rughzenhaide. With Ritona gone for a fair amount of the episode, we see Rune and Selphine fighting for themselves (with some help of Rhegan I guess). We get some foreshadowing for the next episode, which should focus more on Ritona and that strange doctor. I think the three new character from Rughzenhaide will also be part of the prologue (which will be released next, before side:below).
I thought the "conflict" of this episode with the siblings was decently done. It avoided the perfect happy ending and showed how rotten the country, or at least some of the people in power, are. I wonder if we get to see the start of a revolution in the next episode. It also nicely introduced the Rhegan persona. I'm curious, if we get to learn all the past ruler personas in the following episodes.

The next episode will be fault - SILENCE THE PEDANT which will feature Ritonas backstory. Looking forward to it, since she's my favourite character in the series. :)

Yes thats right :)
Something strange I noticed though, in the English version, the voice clips when someone is speaking seem to be very small (like just a 2 word phrase or something) and dont match up with whats written in the text box. Is this intentional, or is the Japanese version different?
Those are just little flavor sound bites for unvoiced parts.

@Dolgan

That 4th and 5th wall break in fault 2 was really unexpected.i hadn't screamed WTF since the days i was playing MGS2 for the first time.

I'm like, really loving that part.

Has anyone played Notch - The Innocent LunA: Eclipsed SinnerS? Was browsing Steam horror VNs (which there are depressingly few) and saw that. Apparently it's a Chinese VN. It's got some pretty good reviews despite a supposedly eh English translation.

grim-tales

Onto the Danganronpa class trial/investigation now (thoughts):
The investigation parts are very much like old-school Ace Attorney
One character reminds me of Ace from 999 because he is "lion-like", also the part where the victim writes something when theyre dying is just like one part in VLR (and probably turns up in AA too).
It doesnt seem as shocking so far as 999 or even VLR because 'blood' is neon pink ,wtf?

Dolgan

@Dolgan

That 4th and 5th wall break in fault 2 was really unexpected.i hadn't screamed WTF since the days i was playing MGS2 for the first time.

I'm like, really loving that part.

It sure was surprising. Especially, because there were no hints in the first game. I just wonder where they'll go with that.

It sure was surprising. Especially, because there were no hints in the first game. I just wonder where they'll go with that.

I want to say that they hinted that that character was really something else , especially given how she was presented but that stuff is just another level.
Everything that was done in milestone 2 made me want more and so far i've just played the demo.
( not enough free time to play the full game now )

grim-tales

Now I'm stuck in a "Where the fuck do I go" phase, I dont know what to do since I've talked to lots of people and found 14 pieces of evidence or so.
I've talked to the fat geeky stereotype (Hafumi) in the trash room and found the shattered crystal ball etc... but at a loss now

Now I'm stuck in a "Where the fuck do I go" phase, I dont know what to do since I've talked to lots of people and found 14 pieces of evidence or so.
I've talked to the fat geeky stereotype (Hafumi) in the trash room and found the shattered crystal ball etc... but at a loss now

Check the room faceplates if you haven't. Talk to Asahina. Go to the kitchen. That's all I remember from the top of my head

grim-tales

Check the room faceplates if you haven't. Talk to Asahina. Go to the kitchen. That's all I remember from the top of my head

Thank you :)
Ah, got to the class trail now :)
Firing truth bullets is annoying and I cant do the 2nd one? (You need to use the kitchen knife set)

grim-tales

Thank you :)
I think I get it now. I have to shoot down the actual words themselves.
Edit: Oh God, now even though I know the killer I have to do this rhythm game shit?
Its much harder than it looks.

So it seems like the plan for the Muv Luv Kickstarter is to have a translator from Japan translate it and then have fan editors from alternativeprojects work on the script. And rather quickly too if Muv Luv is really going to come out in March and MLA in Summer. This isn't very encouraging, especially given the history of poor translations from non-native speakers in visual novels.

Yuuichi

I don't see anything obvious that infers such a thing; I agree that, if true it doesn't bode well at all for the quality. Takajun is the best non-native translator the scene will ever see, and he's long gone.

They are also never going to meet that March 2016 date if they are retranslating the games. Translating Extra+Unlimited, editing it, doing the programming and engine improvements, and going through QA and bug fixing in 4-5 months? And doing all that while working on MLA because that release is supposed to only be a few months later? Not happening.

I don't really have a whole ton of confidence in Degica here.

I don't see anything obvious that infers such a thing; I agree that, if true it doesn't bode well at all for the quality. Takajun is the best non-native translator the scene will ever see, and he's long gone.
Their community manager tweeted about it. Follow his responses and it seems that they plan on having a native Japanese speaker translate it and fans edit the script. And the prefundia mentions using translators from Japan.

Yuuichi

Their community manager tweeted about it. Follow his responses and it seems that they plan on having a native Japanese speaker translate it and fans edit the script. And the prefundia mentions using translators from Japan.

I got a sensible chuckle out of that, thanks. I see where he's coming from, but I strongly disagree with him. Even taka-jun's work, which I think everyone will agree is the best work ever done for the scene by a non native, seems sightly stilted when you stop to pay attention to it. His translations are very good, but sometimes the meaning or phrasing is just a bit off how a native speaker would translate it, and that's not something that can be caught by an editor, because there's nothing objectively wrong with the translation.

I would also never trust a non-native to translate anything with heavy flow, like something written by sca-ji or Masada.

Jazz573

I got a sensible chuckle out of that, thanks. I see where he's coming from, but I strongly disagree with him. Even taka-jun's work, which I think everyone will agree is the best work ever done for the scene by a non native, seems sightly stilted when you stop to pay attention to it. His translations are very good, but sometimes the meaning or phrasing is just a bit off how a native speaker would translate it, and that's not something that can be caught by an editor, because there's nothing objectively wrong with the translation.

I would also never trust a non-native to translate anything with heavy flow, like something written by sca-ji or Masada.

You keep mentioning this Taka-jun guy, but I've never heard of him, so what exactly has he translated?

Yuuichi

You keep mentioning this Taka-jun guy, but I've never heard of him, so what exactly has he translated?

Wanko to Kurasou, Sengoku Rance, Brass Restoration, Swan Song, part of Eustia, and most of Majikoi (he's the one famous for leaving it unfinished because he literally disappeared). Everything I've ever heard about him is that he was a non-native speaker, so unless someone has something to prove otherwise I'm inclined to believe it, especially with the way his stuff reads.

Wanko to Kurasou, Sengoku Rance, Brass Restoration, Swan Song, part of Eustia, and most of Majikoi (he's the one famous for leaving it unfinished because he literally disappeared). Everything I've ever heard about him is that he was a non-native speaker, so unless someone has something to prove otherwise I'm inclined to believe it, especially with the way his stuff reads.

And Fate Stay/Night and Tsukihime.

Yuuichi

I'm surprised because he's best know for his Type Moon work. He even translated the Kara no Kyoukai novels and did some fansubbing for the movies.

I thought all his work was isolated to Yandere because I never had reason to think otherwise, and most of my time with type moon was years ago before I cared about who worked on what. I haven't always been the almost all knowing being when it comes to VN's I am today.

I thought all his work was isolated to Yandere because I never had reason to think otherwise, and most of my time with type moon was years ago before I cared about who worked on what. I haven't always been the almost all knowing being when it comes to VN's I am today.

That wasn't meant as a dig.

Jazz573

Wasn't Sengoku Rance done by Seiha, not Yandere?

Finished Fruit of Grisaia. Quite liked it. Wound up doing the routes in Michiru, Sachi, Yumiko, Amane, Makina order which seems like a good order to go through it. Overall I think that Yumiko's route was the weakest and Amane's route being mostly carried by its flashback. I do appreciate how they made each route feel self contained and equally important in their own right. Looking forward to playing the rest of the series now.

Are the animes for the sequels any good or would I just be better waiting for the eventual VN releases?

Shizuka

I asked on the Facebook page that 600,000 was too high of a stretch goal for the Vita Muv Luv Kickstarter, then they told me they lowered it to 500,000. They really are open to criticism, if it all it took was one question for them to drop 100,000 from the stretch goal.

Ephidel

Maybe I'm just overly cynical after seeing a few bad kickstarters but that actually makes me more wary than anything.
I want to believe that people set their budgets and plans based on figures and estimates they've investigated and worked on beforehand, and that the original $barriers are set for a reason (preferably because that was the amount of money they needed to do that / fund that / make that particular thing worthwhile to pursue).
$100k seems like a lot of money to knock off a target at the whim of one question, which makes me wonder how much thought they've actually given that target :|

Shizuka

Maybe I'm just overly cynical after seeing a few bad kickstarters but that actually makes me more wary than anything.
I want to believe that people set their budgets and plans based on figures and estimates they've investigated and worked on beforehand, and that the original $barriers are set for a reason (preferably because that was the amount of money they needed to do that / fund that / make that particular thing worthwhile to pursue).
$100k seems like a lot of money to knock off a target at the whim of one question, which makes me wonder how much thought they've actually given that target :|

I feel like they're doing the Vita port regardless of the stretch goal, but they're putting it behind a stretch goal in order to gather more money. You can see that from the Twitter messages where they mentioned Vita would be a platform for the game without mentioning stretch goals.

Well that's interesting;
GIX4gZr.jpg

I guess Harmonia really is coming west.

Top Bottom