• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Guess I'll just need to make sure to make a couple saves then, for when I do play. (And since I hear it's gruesome or whatever, probably wait 20 mins till after a meal to play :p)

I'm trying to get into the genre, even if most of what I have played so far have been sort of hybrid games, such as the Danganronpa Series. Any recomendations for novels on Vita? I'm looking forward to works leaning towards "serious", as in trying to avoid stuff with excessive fanservice or love / japanese high school whatever stories.

Currently I'm considering Stein's Gate to begin with, and trying to get some ideas from the opening post.

Vylash

I'm trying to get into the genre, even if most of what I have played so far have been sort of hybrid games, such as the Danganronpa Series. Any recomendations for novels on Vita? I'm looking forward to works leaning towards "serious", as in trying to avoid stuff with excessive fanservice or love / japanese high school whatever stories.

Currently I'm considering Stein's Gate to begin with, and trying to get some ideas from the opening post.
do you know Japanese? If not your choices are extremely limited

So there's a new Japanese VN on Greenlight and the page says this:
"Libra of the Vampire Princess" is Xero's new bishoujo visual novel game being released in Japan on October 30th under their hit label Onomatope.

This fall we will launch a Kickstarter campaign to bring the official English version to the West. Please give us your vote and help us release our game on Steam!
So more localization Kickstarters, and this one for a new game. I wonder if they are doing without a western partner.

creid

I can't believe it's getting that much backing for a japanese VN I have never heard about. It seems Vita version is pretty much a lock so I guess I have to give it a shot.
I've only heard about it because it seemed to be the only VN people were playing in this thread for a long time.

Fruitbat Factory is bringing a mystery VN, Magical Eyes - Red is for Anguish, to Steam this Winter.

In the middle of the night on a certain day of April 201X, the right arm of the owner of a general store is chopped off in the backyard of his own store.
Even though he claims that the perpetrator is a 'doll' that was kept in the store, his words carry little weight due to the lack of other witnesses.
The doll and the detached arm are gone from the scene of crime.

“Like a light too strong may burn out one's retinas, so too can supernatural entities be toxic to humans.
Even should they take on the invisible form of one's emotions.”
This is a mystery story about bizarre incidents unfolding around the town,
intermingled with a complicated mixture of human intentions.

cj_iwakura

Apparently a team working from our tools for Ougon Musou has finished a translation of Cross. Shame they beat me to it, but I'm confident it'll be great.

upandaway

Got all the endings for the heck of it because they it took no effort, but yeah they don't affect the story at all, except maybe sister's ending revealing a bit.

Not gonna lie the story and setting had so many ridiculous things that I had trouble ignoring.
The characters were kinda forced at many points when so many better choices were available.
The twists were nice (the big one made me look back on the whole story). I honestly feel kinda weird about the fact that I enjoyed it, because I can clearly say it's not great, but I did have a lot of fun (I liked Sachi's chapter the most). The humor never worked though.

....excuse me???

Did they really just do that

Okay that's much much crazier than the G-senjou twist

Got all the endings for the heck of it because they it took no effort, but yeah they don't affect the story at all, except maybe sister's ending revealing a bit.

Not gonna lie the story and setting had so many ridiculous things that I had trouble ignoring.
The characters were kinda forced at many points when so many better choices were available.
The twists were nice (the big one made me look back on the whole story). I honestly feel kinda weird about the fact that I enjoyed it, because I can clearly say it's not great, but I did have a lot of fun (I liked Sachi's chapter the most). The humor never worked though.

It's not a must play VN , but it's damn enjoyable when you play it. the big twist really makes you look at the whole story differently. If you have the time , do play the fan disk , because it answer some plot holes in the normal game.
I can safely say that i don't care about the heroines in this game, yet i cared more about the setting and the MC...
The sister for the small screen time she had was the best girl on this game

The story forces you to accept part of the character and setting in order to stay coherent , it's very hard to full accept since this future and those law are just awefull all around ... but the game manages to stay coherent long enough

upandaway

Trying to see whether there's another VN (preferably something I can buy digitally) that I could play before school starts again in 3 weeks. I've only played Danganronpa 2, Never7 and Sharin no Kuni this year so I'd like to at least bump it to 4 VNs for the year. If anyone has suggestions I'm ready.

It's not a must play VN , but it's damn enjoyable when you play it. the big twist really makes you look at the whole story differently. If you have the time , do play the fan disk , because it answer some plot holes in the normal game.
I can safely say that i don't care about the heroines in this game, yet i cared more about the setting and the MC...
The sister for the small screen time she had was the best girl on this game

The story forces you to accept part of the character and setting in order to stay coherent , it's very hard to full accept since this future and those law are just awefull all around ... but the game manages to stay coherent long enough
Yeah you said pretty much what I was trying to say. It's duct taped together in terms of logic (I could give you a neverending list of inconsistencies and fallacies but what's the point), but the twist was really fun. And I also thought the music was great, a lot of calm piano tracks which I love.

Not sure about the fandisc... if it's just gonna be a supplement of info to the main story then I could probably skip it. If it can stand on its own as an enjoyable VN that's a different story (is it?)

Hey all! First time visiting this thread and wanted your opinions.

I've been playing through Steins;Gate and it has rekindled my love for the VN genre. I want to play other games of the same caliber and I have a few questions.

First, here's the list of games I have played:

All the Ace Attorney games (multiple times, huge fan)
The 3 main Danganronpa games (plus DR0)
999 and VLR
Steins;Gate

Second, after looking around online at a lot of people's "must play" or top ten lists, here is the general consensus of VNs which shouldnt be missed:

Ever17
G Senjou No Maou
Fate/Stay Night
Muv Luv
Clannad (Watched the anime, enjoyed it)

My questions are:

1. Did I miss anything important? I know people have their opinions on what they think are their favorites, I am just making sure I didn't miss something that most people consider required reading/playing.

2. Are there any translations that would hinder my enjoyment of the must play games I listed? I've read to watch out for poorly written fan translations, but specific titles weren't mentioned.

I suppose that's it. I'm anxious to start diving into more VNs, and just want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

You are missing Higurashi/Umineko. With so little they achieve so much.

Planetarian is short but fantastic.

And chaos;head was decent too. I actually played that instead of steins;gate. I guess robotics;notes (or all the ";" series) tend to be good, right?

Bowl0l

And chaos;head was decent too. I actually played that instead of steins;gate. I guess robotics;notes (or all the ";" series) tend to be good, right?
Where can I purchase a digital copy of Umineko? I can't find it in mangagamer.

Higurashi is already on Steam and Ep. 2 should be coming soon.

As for Umineko... wait, I'm not sure that was localized yet? Wait, yeah, it's coming to Steam (announced in July apparently) but not out yet. Damn, I thought it was out, that's a shame.

upandaway

Ever17
G Senjou No Maou
Fate/Stay Night
Muv Luv
Clannad (Watched the anime, enjoyed it)
I don't think G-Sejou is a must at all, the only part where it stands among the rest is the soundtrack (which is admittedly amazing). Definitely Higurashi. And give Katawa Shoujo a try.

As a bonus, if you liked:
Ever17, get Remember17
F/SN, get Tsukihime

Aleskar

Banned
1. Did I miss anything important? I know people have their opinions on what they think are their favorites, I am just making sure I didn't miss something that most people consider required reading/playing.

2. Are there any translations that would hinder my enjoyment of the must play games I listed? I've read to watch out for poorly written fan translations, but specific titles weren't mentioned.

I suppose that's it. I'm anxious to start diving into more VNs, and just want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

Rewrite from key (Clannad, Kanon, Littlebusters and Angelbeats Devs) is a really good ride and i enjoyd every minute of it.
You can check it out here: VNDB SFW

Yuuichi

Yeah you said pretty much what I was trying to say. It's duct taped together in terms of logic (I could give you a neverending list of inconsistencies and fallacies but what's the point), but the twist was really fun. And I also thought the music was great, a lot of calm piano tracks which I love.

Not sure about the fandisc... if it's just gonna be a supplement of info to the main story then I could probably skip it. If it can stand on its own as an enjoyable VN that's a different story (is it?)

First some comments on the game.
While I agree the game is riddled with strange issues in the writing, I still consider one of the most important things I've ever read in terms of the way that it explores such a strange dystopian society. Ultimately it's probably a better thought experiment than a game, but I think that might just be ok.

As for the fan disc, as I recall only the part you should actually play is translated, and you really should play it. The part that you'll be playing is about Houzuki, and acts as sort of both a prequel and closer to the true end, filling in some details to give you a more complete picture of the plot and a character that you don't really get to understand the motivations of.

My main problem with Sharin no Kuni was its atrocious pacing at times, but it has some really great moments and I liked the finale. Though I recall the translation reading pretty awkwardly in parts.

As for the fan disc, as I recall only the part you should actually play is translated, and you really should play it. The part that you'll be playing is about Houzuki, and acts as sort of both a prequel and closer to the true end, filling in some details to give you a more complete picture of the plot and a character that you don't really get to understand the motivations of.

Yeah, this the only part you should read. The rest are mostly just excuses for ero content.

JulianImp

Besides the PC releases, you can also read through Higurashi on DS and Umineko on PS3. If you get the PC games, there's a translation patch for Umineko that was at the very least endorsed by Ryukishi himself, and there's another patch that adds the PS3 graphics and voiceovers if you happen to have that version as well. The Steam releases will happen someday, but it'll probably take quite a while before we get all eight main episodes of Higurashi, the extra ones, and both arcs of Umineko.

I'd also vouch for Higanbana, but only if you happen to like the style of previous When they cry VNs. The big difference with Higanbana is that it actually began its life as a manga AFAIK, and that it has lots of short stories that are loosely interconnected rather than having one long narrative like Higurashi and Umineko. It's also a lot darker at times, even compared to the other two.

upandaway

First some comments on the game.
While I agree the game is riddled with strange issues in the writing, I still consider one of the most important things I've ever read in terms of the way that it explores such a strange dystopian society. Ultimately it's probably a better thought experiment than a game, but I think that might just be ok.
I think that's why it's so easy to find the faults, because it's easy to take the setting seriously and give it some thought.

@ the fandisc thanks guys, I'll get on that soon then.

I don't think G-Sejou is a must at all, the only part where it stands among the rest is the soundtrack (which is admittedly amazing). Definitely Higurashi. And give Katawa Shoujo a try.

As a bonus, if you liked:
Ever17, get Remember17
F/SN, get Tsukihime

Rewrite from key (Clannad, Kanon, Littlebusters and Angelbeats Devs) is a really good ride and i enjoyd every minute of it.
You can check it out here: VNDB SFW

Besides the PC releases, you can also read through Higurashi on DS and Umineko on PS3. If you get the PC games, there's a translation patch for Umineko that was at the very least endorsed by Ryukishi himself, and there's another patch that adds the PS3 graphics and voiceovers if you happen to have that version as well. The Steam releases will happen someday, but it'll probably take quite a while before we get all eight main episodes of Higurashi, the extra ones, and both arcs of Umineko.

I'd also vouch for Higanbana, but only if you happen to like the style of previous When they cry VNs. The big difference with Higanbana is that it actually began its life as a manga AFAIK, and that it has lots of short stories that are loosely interconnected rather than having one long narrative like Higurashi and Umineko. It's also a lot darker at times, even compared to the other two.

Thanks guys, I'll be checking some of these out in the coming months :)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Vita and Android stretch goal for Muv-Luv has been hit!

Very quick! Now for the 720k goal... With the amount of time left, I'd say it's definitely possible! Doesn't look like they are doing physical copies for the Photon stories, but free since I got the $150 tier.

gaiadyne

Just started playing a few days ago. School Days HQ was one of my favorite VNs back when it released and I've been looking forward to playing this game ever since it was announced that JAST was translating it. I'm only on Chapter 2 so maybe things change later on but the game is more boring for me than School Days. Setsuna is a really flat unemotive character so having her as the main perspective really makes scenes drag, I kind of miss Makoto...

Just started playing a few days ago. School Days HQ was one of my favorite VNs back when it released and I've been looking forward to playing this game ever since it was announced that JAST was translating it. I'm only on Chapter 2 so maybe things change later on but the game is more boring for me than School Days. Setsuna is a really flat unemotive character so having her as the main perspective really makes scenes drag, I kind of miss Makoto...
I've played through most of this (at 73% and am done until there is a better guide for what I'm missing). And it's a lot more light hearted than School Days, well except for some stuff that JAST thankfully cut out. I didn't mind Setsuna though, Inori was the character I didn't care for and thankfully she is relegated to one path.

Where the heck is ZE3

I want a new mystery VN to get addicted to

I'm so glad I can answer this
ESCAPING SUMMER 2016

Though get hype indeed, some recent Aksys tweets suggest we might get some new art and stuff soon. Think of it this way: We've already gone a quarter of the way since the announcement!

I can't stop hyping about ZE3. Someone hold me, hold me tight

aravuus

I'm so glad I can answer this
ESCAPING SUMMER 2016

Though get hype indeed, some recent Aksys tweets suggest we might get some new art and stuff soon. Think of it this way: We've already gone a quarter of the way since the announcement!

I can't stop hyping about ZE3. Someone hold me, hold me tight

Man

It's really happening, isn't it

Insane

I know this gets asked a lot, but I guess I should wait to start with Steins Gate until the vita game that includes the first comes out sometime this year?

I know this gets asked a lot, but I guess I should wait to start with Steins Gate until the vita game that includes the first comes out sometime this year?

No. Unless you speak Japanese Steins;Gate 0 is not coming this year, and that promo is for the PS4, not the Vita.

Lol its you again!

So whatever is currently on the vita (maybe a psp version?) is what I should go with for the foreseeable future?

Yeah, the Steins:Gate that's currently on the Vita is the only game in the series available in English. The sequel might eventually come over, but it hasn't been announced and it would likely be a while.

aravuus

I was trying not to make it more complicated. Steins;Gate 0 is coming later this year and it's more of an interquel.

Well, it's something-quel, at least. I thought they were done with the S;G universe for good.

I'm gonna get some flak for this, seeing how we're in a VN thread and all, but I hope they turn it to an anime too. I fucking love the original S;G anime, it was so so so good.

If not, I guess I'll just finally play the dang visual novel, too! I've got it installed for ages already

XMSHO

Something crossed my mind a while ago, BW 17infinity countdown may be connected to Takumi Nakazawa's secret project...
It didn't get enough attention unfortunately, but Nakazawa posted "from the future" (1/7/2017) months ago in his personal blog talking about working on "unannounced project".
(He then updated it to add that he work on punchline game right now).
It's somewhat baseless assumption, but the title plus the fact that the smallest countdown and (1/7/2017) are close. So finger-crossed!

(edited now XD)

Well, it's something-quel, at least. I thought they were done with the S;G universe for good.

I'm gonna get some flak for this, seeing how we're in a VN thread and all, but I hope they turn it to an anime too. I fucking love the original S;G anime, it was so so so good.

If not, I guess I'll just finally play the dang visual novel, too! I've got it installed for ages already

They already announced that it's getting an anime adaptation.

Top Bottom