• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
WAS' issues appear to be related to the voice acting, though that doesn't explain why all their Steam patches for the alpha are broken.

Clannad had a large team of translators, which is why they've been spending most of the year editing it.

Oh I didn't know it was due to the voice acting. I really did think it was due to other projects. And yeah guess I was right about Clannad's team. The more people translating and editing it, the faster it goes.

Lain

I'm still waiting on the Starless text patch from JAST. Someone might scratch his/her head about why I'd wait for it given the type of game Starless is but hey, nothing kills me more than annoying text typo back to back with this kind of stuff.
Now the funny thing is the forum posts about Starless I got emailed and read between yesterday and today highlighted that Shiny Days was released in a pretty unpolished state.

JASTUSA person said:
Tim

I have not forgotten about the script update but it's just gotten put on the backburner especially now because of the new jlist site.

currently my to do list (for completed games) include -in order of priority:

Shiny days crash patch test (1/3)

shiny days permissions fix patch (installer)

shiny days ending titles recheck (at least 2 mistakes reported)

shiny days uniform check (summer vs shiny mixup in inori route)

raidy 3 XP compatibility patch (installer)

raidy 3 missing files fix (installer)

starless script check

Slot that in with helping out with the site, final touches on the new forums, testing of upcoming games and script editing for new translation. I can only do so much at a time, it's not forgotten just taking a stupid long time.

forum poster said:
sanahtlig

Bump the Manami ending save corruption to the top of that list please. o_O

My sympathies to the Starless fans who are still waiting on text fixes. But at least you guys got a working game with all the content unlocked on Day 1. It's Day 10 after the Shiny Days release and the game is barely in a playable state, nor is the content unlocked. The Shiny Days release is basically a disaster of epic proportions. I can't even recall a JAST release that was this bad off the top of my head, and I've been around since 2003.

I had no idea the Shiny Days release had that many problems. Hopefully by the time I'll get to it everything will be sorted out.

gaiages

Banned
I want to play some good horror games for Halloween, but I can't handle actual horror games... so I'm gonna play some creepy VNs instead. :p First up: Saya no Uta, of course. I know most of the premise, but always wanted to read it, so it should be fun. Well, as fun as a macabre setting like that can be.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I want to play some good horror games for Halloween, but I can't handle actual horror games... so I'm gonna play some creepy VNs instead. :p First up: Saya no Uta, of course. I know most of the premise, but always wanted to read it, so it should be fun. Well, as fun as a macabre setting like that can be.

How about some Corpse Party? Currently discounted as well, I believe. I mean, it's horror, but more creepy, especially if you have an imagination.

gaiages

Banned
How about some Corpse Party? Currently discounted as well, I believe. I mean, it's horror, but more creepy, especially if you have an imagination.

I want to try the original, but at the moment I don't have the money to buy it, and already own Saya. But later in the month I will consider it for sure :D

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I want to try the original, but at the moment I don't have the money to buy it, and already own Saya. But later in the month I will consider it for sure :D

I should really go through Saya myself this month (yet Steins is still on hiatus >_>), only because it's spooky-time month! But yeah definitely get to Corpse Party when you can! At least get through the first one. The second is more of a VN than the first, but the first is still the best. That is, until I pick up Blood Drive (and find the time to play it...)

Lucentto

Banned

Try Phenomeno.

It's pretty good and its free iirc.

Yuuichi

I'm still waiting on the Starless text patch from JAST. Someone might scratch his/her head about why I'd wait for it given the type of game Starless is but hey, nothing kills me more than annoying text typo back to back with this kind of stuff.
Now the funny thing is the forum posts about Starless I got emailed and read between yesterday and today highlighted that Shiny Days was released in a pretty unpolished state.

I had no idea the Shiny Days release had that many problems. Hopefully by the time I'll get to it everything will be sorted out.

Jast is just a wreck right now, did they loose all their staff to SP or something? While I know Payne claims it's because he has so much going on, that's why you hire more people.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Try Phenomeno.

It's pretty good and its free iirc.

I shall get this too! Free and has an english patch! Also done by ABe! Haven't seen that guy around in a while, so guess he's been doing VNs?

EDIT: Uh oh, looks like the english patch has been removed? The link is broken now...

After having watched LPs of Danganronpa 2 and 999 and wanting both of them for years, I finally ordered them from Amazon alongside The World Ends With You

SO HYPED

Yuuichi

I shall get this too! Free and has an english patch! Also done by ABe! Haven't seen that guy around in a while, so guess he's been doing VNs?

EDIT: Uh oh, looks like the english patch has been removed? The link is broken now...

Game download here (scroll down to the mirrors section), I mirrored the patch here.

I'll fix the OP in a bit.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Got it, thanks guys! (Darn whoever reported it >_> The game is free officially to begin with, anyways...)

Shizuka

Phenomeno didn't have a single option during the game, right? I remember not being able to get it to run and just watched the whole thing on YouTube.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Phenomeno didn't have a single option during the game, right? I remember not being able to get it to run and just watched the whole thing on YouTube.

I wonder why it's listed as 2-10 hours? I figured it would have paths. Maybe just the duration of how fast people can read (at least when it comes to VNs).

Hey, Sekai Project has Vita news:
I am Audi, and I’ve known many of the crew at Sekai Project dating back nearly 10 years now. I have worked in the games industry since the mid 2000’s, which has spanned companies in Europe, Japan and the US. I was also one of the closest friends of VN music legend Umemoto Ryu, and had the honor of spending time with him shortly before his passing. During GDC of this year, I discussed the various upcoming projects as well as the issues Sekai faced with getting proper contact with Sony in order to get their titles onto Sony’s services. It just so happened that my previous job had me doing this sorts of work in Europe, and as such I offered to help speed up this process.

Over the last few months, I have become part of the team and concentrated my efforts on improving key areas of this wonderful company, namely our front on the digital handheld market such as PSN, as well as proper community communication. And I’m glad to say that we’ve now been able to progress rapidly and should have some very good news for Grisaia fans in the coming weeks! While the lack of communication on this issue is unfortunate, it is important to take the amount of work that is needed into consideration, and that the team at Sekai Project never stopped working hard on this even before I teamed up with them. In order to be approved, let alone have your titles viable to be put on a service like PSN requires a lot of paperwork, not to mention legalities from Japan, cleared up. GDD (Game Design Documents) need to be made from scratch to fully explain the game inside and out, content needs to be accurately presented and explained, and the list goes on. While we are all lifelong gaming enthusiasts and lovers of VN, the world of publishing a game can be a jungle of technicalities and confusion if you never walked through it before. I’ll avoid getting too deeply into all the hoops in getting games published, but it’s sadly not as simple as uploading a file and wait for a happy answer.

But now that we been able to mostly clear up all obstacles that stood in the way of getting this game and the others we got in the pipeline onto the PSN service, we will work hard at bringing more surprises and continue our support for the VN genre. We will of course also keep you continuously updated on the progress with further games scheduled onto the PSVita.
Which is nothing specific other than there will be good news in the coming weeks as they apparently progressed on all that dreaded paperwork.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Which is nothing specific other than there will be good news in the coming weeks.

Just read it on their Facebook update (FB is still useful for company updates!) and sounds like they have a lot to announce soon. Are they going to NYCC? Maybe they'll do some announcements there, if so.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hi. Yeah it's me. We'll have more announcements very soon. We are just taking care of some backlog of stuff that was stalled a bit before I was on board then continue with the good vibes.

I await the good news (and hopefully for some rewards to get mailed out soon :x)

Sölf

So, since I've basically played Danganronpa for 10-12 hours straight yesterday, finishing the second trial, I can definitly say I like it. xD
Is there any way to find out if you have reached max friendship with a character? I've only done something with Junko,
since I knew she died, as I've seen the first three episodes of the anime back when it aired,
and after that with Celester. But yeah, no idea if my friendship is already max or if I have any way to find out. Oh, and the Sauna scene... it didn't really help, that Mondo has the same voice actor as Hijikata from Gintama. Then again, the whole scene could have come from Gintama... xD

Hi. Yeah it's me. We'll have more announcements very soon. We are just taking care of some backlog of stuff that was stalled a bit before I was on board then continue with the good vibes.

Well then , if those are cleared , this will be without a doubt , very good.

Awaiting the good news.

Sölf;180847068 said:
So, since I've basically played Danganronpa for 10-12 hours straight yesterday, finishing the second trial, I can definitly say I like it. xD
Is there any way to find out if you have reached max friendship with a character? I've only done something with Junko,
since I knew she died, as I've seen the first three episodes of the anime back when it aired,
and after that with Celester. But yeah, no idea if my friendship is already max or if I have any way to find out. Oh, and the Sauna scene... it didn't really help, that Mondo has the same voice actor as Hijikata from Gintama. Then again, the whole scene could have come from Gintama... xD

YOu get a trophy once you max out a character relationship level . DO try to max out a character but don't worry if you can't as the game has other modes tied to this function too.
( you will be able to max everyone at some point )

Sölf

Well then , if those are cleared , this will be without a doubt , very good.

Awaiting the good news.

YOu get a trophy once you max out a character relationship level . DO try to max out a character but don't worry if you can't as the game has other modes tied to this function too.
( you will be able to max everyone at some point )

Do I get the trophys as soon I maxed it out? I looked at the wiki and it sounded like I would only get them at the end of the game.

Shizuka

Which is nothing specific other than there will be good news in the coming weeks as they apparently progressed on all that dreaded paperwork.

While it's nice that they're acknowledging the Vita ports they promised, it's still basically the same thing they've been saying, when they actually bothered to say anything about it.

I'm sorry, but I'll remain cynical until they manage to release at least one of the Vita ports they've promised.

Sölf;180851044 said:
Do I get the trophys as soon I maxed it out? I looked at the wiki and it sounded like I would only get them at the end of the game.

You get the trophy as soon as you max out a character relationship ..but you can't do it ( or it's VERY VERY hard to ) on your first try throught the game .most players do it once they've cleared the main story.

XMSHO

I wonder why it's listed as 2-10 hours? I figured it would have paths. Maybe just the duration of how fast people can read (at least when it comes to VNs).

Don't expect to get much... The game was made as a promo for the LN, so it only covers the first volume or so (that why it's free). It has good atmosphere nonetheless.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Don't expect to get much... The game was made as a promo for the LN, so it only covers the first volume or so (that why it's free). It has good atmosphere nonetheless.

AH I see. Yeah I read that it only had part of the LN in it, but didn't know that it was a direct promo for it.

Also, more SP news! WEE ep 3:

Hello everyone,

We wanted to share the status of translation of the game and a update on porting status for WEE in general.

Currently episode.03 is 7.39% done in translations, we're in the process of onboarding a new translator to help get the game out sooner to your hands. He first has to read the first two games before he can start translating the game.

In this Kickstarter we promised various ports to be done with the game and have decided to settle on Unity as the only porting target. The previous port of episode.01 to Renpy was not done very well and we decided not to wait for the port to complete to get episode.02 out earlier this year.

Once episode.03 is done we will start the porting process of getting all 3 games on to Unity. During the time that takes for porting the games we will be revisiting episode.01 and 02 to give it another editing and translation check pass. Because of the ports promised we have a question to backers.

Do you want to wait for the Unity version of the game to be finished and then print physical editions? We will put up a poll in a private update in the near future.

Grisaia physical stuffs etc:

Hello everyone,

Here's the latest on Grisaia that isn't PSVita related.

The Fruit of Grisaia Physical version

We finished double checking the bug reports from Steam and sent in via email and are now in the process of working on fixing them before getting the disks pressed. We're looking at the start of November for disks to start replicating from the factory.

Physical goods

They're currently held in Japan awaiting shipment to the fulfillment warehouse.

The Labyrinth of Grisaia

Translation is estimated to be complete in late November. There's still technical/editing/qa work required after that so we do not have a firm release date just yet.

If anyone has any questions, anything on your mind at all, feel free to leave a comment here or send it to our Facebook and Twitter.

The G-senjou no Maou Steam page is live.

And lol at their WAS update
Hello Backers,

The previous update should not have been posted and the update was reverted on Steam.

The information received regarding the status of voices was not double checked by another staff member before it was uploaded as an alpha build.

We will have another update in the future with status of release and when some physical items will be shipping.
This project is such a mess.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone played through Fragment Notes? I'm super anal about saves and I know with VNs I really SHOULD keep several. In the case of this game, I think I picked the wrong choices. I didn't even get a bad end, I just went back to the title screen >_> I noticed that there's an image gallery for the 2 choices of girls you can pick, so I'm assuming you probably have to clear all those events for an ending to even happen. Huh...

Sure wish I saved at the choices now, since I guess I have to start a new game over and do a lot of tapping on my phone >_>

Sölf

Finished Danganronpa. God, I haven't played a game that much in months or even years. Played like 10-12 hours the first two days and finished it on the third after... 6 or so. xD

Now for School Mode. Have to befriend them all!

Top Bottom