• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

So pumped for PS4, you guys. Not seeing how Cross games are going to work though. Games on PS3 are already too big to fit everything properly on the Vita side, and now on PS4 it will probably be even more so.
I'm not sure it will be something that happens a lot for big budget PS4 titles. I think there will still be a space for new PS3/Vita games after the PS4 launches though, especially from Japan.

And there will always be smaller download only games, which won't need full "console power" regardless. What I'm really hoping is that Sony's made developing and publishing these for the both PS4 and Vita as easy as possible, to the point where the added cost of a second version is inconsequential.

So torn, I want to keep playing Persona but I'm SO into DJMAX.

I got my deposit back from my cell phone provider so I'm probably going to get a 32 GB card and some PSN cards so I can get all the classic FF games that are on sale. So pumped. I also want to get some anime on DAT OLED, like Toriko (my favorite anime currently). I'm going to get some good playlists going too for when I finally start working through NFS: Most Wanted.

So if Ubisoft are pleased with AC:Liberation's sales, we'll still see support from them, right?

Maybe we will get an eventual Rayman Legends port after all (after the full priced console versions obviously).

Didn't someone at Ubi say they had similar ideas to AC:Lib for other franchises? So possibly Far Cry, Splinter Cell or Ghost Recon spin-offs? :O

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't know if anyone is interested, but I have some more impressions of Knytt Underground on Vita, as well as some screenshots!

Graphics: Visually impressive. The only knock I can really give it is the fact that it's yet another platformer with silhouetted environments and colorful backdrops. It really does look and animate nicely though. The character models are stylized, but look kind of amateurish, like someone who wants to draw in an anime style, but can't wrap their heads around it.

Game play: It's more of an Adventure game, than an Action game, although there are certainly enemies present that you must avoid most of the time. The map is interesting, and laid out in a way that facilitates non-linear progression, but also pushes you towards your objectives, which in turn, will help you progress even further into the game as you unlock more skills.

I really enjoyed Chapter 1, but Chapter 2 left a sour taste in my mouth. I am currently in Chapter 3, which manages to, at the least, explain the point of Chapter 2 from a game design perspective (I'm not going to spoil it here, though). Chapter 3 is much more interesting, and that non-linear progression is a lot more engaging now.

Sound: The music and sound effects are utilized well. There doesn't seem to be that much of it, but what's there is atmospheric and fits the style of the game well. No complaints here.

Story: It's interesting, but not over-bearing, at least so far. The NPCs you come across have amusing things to say, and it has a classic "Only YOU can complete this task" structure that many old school games have.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it. It's light on action, but the adventure elements and quests are fun, and the environments are interesting. I actually really recommend it, especially now that it's on sale for $8.99 (USD) for Plus dudes and dudettes.

And now, the screenshots (all taken from the first chapter of the game)!

8454409404_df345c82bf_b.jpg
8454409576_044d33ca18_b.jpg

8453317181_c58ba35394_b.jpg
8453317835_104a134bc8_b.jpg

8454410848_c9e5f58ced_b.jpg
8453318323_9f826cfb36_b.jpg

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
So if Ubisoft are pleased with AC:Liberation's sales, we'll still see support from them, right?

Maybe we will get an eventual Rayman Legends port after all (after the full priced console versions obviously).

Didn't someone at Ubi say they had similar ideas to AC:Lib for other franchises? So possibly Far Cry, Splinter Cell or Ghost Recon spin-offs? :O

thats good to hear - more support, and thus more experience developing, and expectedly better quality games.

VanWinkle

I'm hoping a Vita version of Rayman Legends will be announced sometime here soon. I'm sure we'll see more support from Ubisoft.

I think it's highly likely Rayman comes over. I'm sure the original did well on Vita. They did a great job.

Hopefully it did better than the 50Kish combined numbers of both HD systems. If it did, I'm sure it would come over to Vita.

As to AC3:L - I'm hoping for a sequel -

My response (copy/paste) post from the Ubi earning thread:

The "overall" picture for Ubisoft isn't the same as the one for Sony, though.

For Sony, this was one of their two key holiday titles for Vita, and they reportedly spent an eight-figure sum on a co-marketing deal in order to secure the game. From that perspective, 600K worldwide is pretty miserable.

For Ubisoft, well, it's not their job to save the platform, so all they're concerned about would be whether the game turned enough of a profit. And apparently, it did, though we'll see how their future Vita support shapes up.

See, I don't care how it performed for Sony, nor do I care if it "saves/d" Vita. I care whether the development investment was sound for Ubisoft. According to Ubisoft, they're quite pleased with the figures, even going as far as to state that Vita development - with the right IP - isn't quite the risk people paint it as.

Now, as a fan of AC3:L, this pleases me as I'd love a more refined/proper sequel. Hopefully, this alludes to that happening.

1's the worst of the whole bunch with that control lag Ratchet has to go along with a lot less content. They're not even comparable to the ps3 games in quality or content.

Well, that's like... you're opinion, man.

One is the worst of the original 3, of course. It's a game that's over 10 years old.
The sequels took the formula and made it better. Both of them.

Of all the games in the series? The PS2 games were the best, period (excluding Deadlocked) The PS3 games feel soulless to me... they've lost their charm and ingenuity.

Mr E.

I'm sure Great little war game was supposed to get a Vita release too. I know it's an iOS game but its a good un. Not quite Advance wars but damn near close and loads of fun.

Seems to have dropped off the radar for the moment.

breakfuss

What I'm at least hoping for is vita integration with the PS3 port of Rayman Legends. The way the wii u pad is used with that game is slick! A separate vita port would be ideal, though.

I'm sure Great little war game was supposed to get a Vita release too. I know it's an iOS game but its a good un. Not quite Advance wars but damn near close and loads of fun.
Last I heard, the developer had dropped the Vita version. I believe they were among the ones Sony let lend Vita devkits for free, and from their comments it seemed like they expected Sony to pay for the porting too.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
i'm going to be honest here - i don't mind iOS games coming to Vita...especially considering that that since i got my vita i've transitioned completely from ipad gaming to vita... and typically any iOS game getting real BUTTON controls just makes the game better.

god jetpack joyride is 100xs more enjoyable pressing X rather than finding a comfortable place to tap the screen/backpad..

btkadams

I just did... and as I said above, R&C (the original) was better than any PS3 incarnation of the series (though I can't judge the latest digital title, as I haven't played it). I'm not sure where the PSP game stacks up either, as the PS2 port came out way too late for me to care.

The only place they were lacking is graphics, but they converted to HD nicely. I sold both of the retail PS3 games when I finished them.

I don't plan on ever getting rid of my HD collection.

that has to be the most insane statement i've read in a while (in my opinion, of course). i just can't comprehend how someone could prefer r&c1.

i just finished god of war ghost of sparta on my vita. i think it might be the first psp game i've started and completed on the vita. it's an incredible game and looks fantastic on the vita. recommended!

quetz67

Banned
Any help on how I can unlock more tracks in Ridge Racer unlimited? I am now Level 3 and beat all available tracks in different modes.

Grisby

Yes. Cross-save games use a PSN feature called Title User Storage that gives all games 1 MB of "cloud space" per PSN user to play around with. Previously it was mainly used to store profiles for online multiplayer games, but then Kojima realized it could re-purposed for "Transfarring", and Sony followed up with the whole Cross-save initiative.
Good deal. And thanks for the bit of history too.

TizioVerde

Neo Member
Hi VitaGAF, i want to replay MGS2 so i'm really tempted by the Vita version.
Can someone tell me how the game handle the missing buttons?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hi VitaGAF, i want to replay MGS2 so i'm really tempted by the Vita version.
Can someone tell me how the game handle the missing buttons?

Touching the item positions on the touch screen, which works pretty great. MGS2 is my favourite MGS game which I replayed countless times to find all the dogtags and replaying it on Vita was pure joy. Just believe me and buy it!

that has to be the most insane statement i've read in a while (in my opinion, of course). i just can't comprehend how someone could prefer r&c1.

i just finished god of war ghost of sparta on my vita. i think it might be the first psp game i've started and completed on the vita. it's an incredible game and looks fantastic on the vita. recommended!

Writing, level design, creativity, etc.

The PS3 games were forgettable to me except for the one secondary villain in ACiT, Lord Vorselon.

Everything else was just recycled or uninspired to me. I had high hopes and was so disappointed with Future that I skipped ACiT for a long while. I eventually got it cheap, platinumed it, and sold it off. Those two games combined (with Quest for Booty added in) killed my love for the series enough that I had no interest in All 4 One when it came out. I played and platinumed that when it became free on PS+. At this point, I have no interest in FFA and am content to replay what I consider the best games in the series via the HD collection.

As I said earlier, I just played through and got the platinum for R&C HD and I had more fun with it than I had with either of the PS3 games.

When R&C was on PS2, I bought the first game randomly as a Greatest Hits title shortly before Going Commando came out. My housemate and I would fight over who was playing and we each had completed the game at least 2x over, and were on playthrough 3 or 4. It spawned a tradition where my housemate would get me the new R&C for Christmas for the next two years and we'd proceed to do the same with those games. We'd even watch each other play and found it entertaining because we found them funny and endearing and well-written.

When I finished R&C:F for the first time... I didn't care. I didn't have enough fun with the game to want to play it again and I didn't enjoy the story/cutscenes/writing either. I had no desire to start that second playthrough, let alone a 3rd or a 4th or even more. The only reason I played ACiT more than once was my desire to finish getting the rest of the trophies.

I'm sure I could bring a large amount of my opinions here that would probably make your head explode while we're at it. But this is all off topic and has nothing to do with the Vita... so let's get back on track, people.

With that said, was the Crossbuy game for $20 any good actually? Is it out on Vita now or is that later in Feb?

Keep reading his posts then, there's a lot more where that came from.

Quiet you.

Ok so beware MAJOR gravity rush spoilers

so I just stopped playing where I'm about to fight the anemone and what the fuxk is happening in this game?

The little girl is a god, they have a giant death sphere and seemingly want to destroy the town they protect, they children and raven have disappeared, the navi are not at all explained.

I'm so confused and hating the combat so it's getting difficult to continue, good job I seem to be right at the end...

so I just stopped playing where I'm about to fight the anemone and what the fuxk is happening in this game?

The little girl is a god, they have a giant death sphere and seemingly want to destroy the town they protect, they children and raven have disappeared, the navi are not at all explained.

I'm so confused and hating the combat so it's getting difficult to continue, good job I seem to be right at the end...

That's literally the second to last fight in the game, so might as well finish it now!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I swear, if its not Takao writing them, no one notices hidden tags.

Kazerei

Banned

I think the story and the background lore are intentionally vague. You can get a better understanding of it though, if you talk to various people and really pay attention to the dialogue.

And yeah the game is pretty bad. Toto is wrong about everything :p

Skyzard

Banned
Any help on how I can unlock more tracks in Ridge Racer unlimited? I am now Level 3 and beat all available tracks in different modes.

IIRC there should be a total of 9 tracks + their reverse to choose from in single race events and online..not necessarily in the grid campaign.

About to bite on Unit 13 to hold me over until Killzone Mercenaries, nice sale EU. It's like the only game on the list I want that I don't already have but still. Should have waited on SFxT too :p

I think the story and the background lore are intentionally vague. You can get a better understanding of it though, if you talk to various people and really pay attention to the dialogue.

And yeah the game is pretty bad. Toto is wrong about everything :p

I wouldn't say it's bad, it just have some issues.

I adore the world and the music and the style, just flying around is captivating

TizioVerde

Neo Member
Touching the item positions on the touch screen, which works pretty great. MGS2 is my favourite MGS game which I replayed countless times to find all the dogtags and replaying it on Vita was pure joy. Just believe me and buy it!
Sounds good, i'm definitely going to buy it (and MGS2 it's my favourite too).
Thanks for the help.

Fusebox

Banned
And another thing about Uncharted, when I push start/pause I get a few options on the screen.

I can't navigate or select the options with the sticks/buttons I have to use touch screen.

BUT

I can't just touch the option I want even if it's on the screen, I have to scroll it into the centre position and then tap it.

Wtf Naughty Dog? Who was the gronk who playtested this?

I love the gunplay and adventuring but this game has so many crazy jarring dumb design decisions, it'd almost be funny if it wasn't so damn annoying.

And another thing about Uncharted, when I push start/pause I get a few options on the screen.

I can't navigate or select the options with the sticks/buttons I have to use touch screen.

BUT

I can't just touch the option I want even if it's on the screen, I have to scroll it into the centre position and then tap it.

Wtf Naughty Dog? Who was the gronk who playtested this?

I love the gunplay and adventuring but this game has so many crazy jarring dumb design decisions, it'd almost be funny if it wasn't so damn annoying.

1.- Yes it's a shitty menu
2.- It wasn't developed by ND

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Man, some people have...interesting...Ratchet and Clank tastes.

I bought the HD Collection, and am playing the first Ratchet and Clank for the first time. Being completely honest, the game pales in comparison to the sequels. All of the sequels, spanning both platforms.

The things that a lot of people seem to ignore about the R&C series is that each sequel refines, even subtly, the game play elements of the ones before. The first R&C is definitely charming, and fun, but it lacks now staples of the series like Arenas, Strafing, better controls in general (like first person aiming and moving and throwing your wrench at the same time), and the RPG elements like leveling up your weapons, health, and armor.

Up Your Arsenal is still my favorite (arguably edged out by A Crack In Time), but the first is "weak" in comparison.

Going Commando is more ambitious than R&C, and is therefore rougher around the edges. Up Your Arsenal fixes that, and polishes it.

Tools of Destruction, for me, felt like a reintroduction to Ratchet and Clank for those that maybe never played the PS2 1s (like me, actually. I only played a little of the first one; never played GC or UYA). Almost a remake of the original, with a few game play adjustments (and obviously, a new story with a new villain). I thought it did a great job of establishing who R&C are, and their world.

Quest For Booty was a fun downloadable, even if it was short. It was funny, with some fun game play, and more refined visuals from ToD.

A Crack In Time, in my opinion, is the best in the series. Why? Those game play tweaks that are often taken for granted. Ratchet controls better, the shooting is better, the humor is probably the best in the series, and most importantly, thanks to the Hover Boots, Ratchet was actually fun to play solo (one of the things I hated about previous R&C's is when Ratchet was separated from Clank, and you had to trek through a level without him on your back).

And, yeah, the visuals have naturally improved as well, but I find it disingenuous to dismiss the subtle and broader game play tweaks each R&C since the first has undergone over it's 6+ entries.

Oh, and Deadlocked wasn't shit. It was different, and still fun, but an actual attempt at changing the R&C formula people love to bitch about. It was like Smash TV, featuring Ratchet & Clank. I'll gladly take the free PS3 version of Deadlocked when Full Frontal Assault hits Vita (and BOOM, I bring this tangent back to the Vita, to keep this shit on topic! Hiyoh!)

Famassu

Writing, level design, creativity, etc.
Are all better in A Crack in Time than in R&C1, which is clearly THE FIRST GAME in a franchise that has just gotten better throughout the years. That's not even debatable. There's so much more variety & fun in ACiT than the first R&C, which is clumsy, awkward shit in comparison. It's cray cray talk to try make R&C1 seem like a better game than A Crack in Time, which at the very least shares the topspot with R&C3, if not even tops it.

A Crack in Time is the superior game in EVERY way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nightmarish Phantaqsm's phase 3-Good Dragon Sword farming spot with UT chaining. Phase 4-Good Vigoorian Flails farming spot as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also Corrosive: No, only Nightmarish Phantasm's unlocks after the Bone Dragon boss, guess I do have to complete the game to open up the rest of them and the Hurricane Pack 2 mission. Oy.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Are all better in A Crack in Time than in R&C1, which is clearly THE FIRST GAME in a franchise that has just gotten better throughout the years. That's not even debatable. There's so much more variety & fun in ACiT than the first R&C, which is clumsy, awkward shit in comparison. It's cray cray talk to try make R&C1 seem like a better game than A Crack in Time, which at the very least shares the topspot with R&C3, if not even tops it.

A Crack in Time is the superior game in EVERY way.

Yeah, you pretty much said everything I said in infinitely less words. In a comparison with R&C1, ACIT bests it in every way. The only one I'm torn about is Up Your Arsenal, which I love almost as equally as ACIT. UYA was a fantastic ending to the "traditional" R&C games on PS2. ACIT was a fantastic end to the Future series, although I'd love to have another like it on the PS3, but I wouldn't mind Insomniac holding off, and doing an R&C on the PS4 instead.

Top Bottom