• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | February 2013 | The most desirable handheld in Japan

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's insanely, retardedly hard. If you don't like a challenge, never play it. It's only worth playing on normal difficulty and up btw, otherwise you're not really experiencing the brutal, soul crushing difficulty the game has. I played several chapters on PS3 and gave up so I could wait for the inevitable trophy patch/version.

Maybe on Very Hard/Master Ninja. But Hard and Normal is EZ if you know how to block/roll and XY->XXY(SquareTriangle->SquareSquareTriangle)/Izuna Drop.

Does that include NG3? Also GoW is better than peasants.

NG3 is the abortion Bayonetta had after God of War came into her room. :( My lord Ninja Gaiden: Black doesn't speak of that episode for good reasons.

UberTag

Wow, I've purchased almost every worthwhile Vita game so much that I assumed I would never wind up with a free game that I hadn't already ponied up on.

And yet here we are with Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus. Awesome!

Figured, oh well.
So guess my second question would be where EU Vitabros (muffins) buy their US cards from.

Amazon.com, if you can get them to work, would be the way to go.
No activation fee and they'll send you the code directly.

The game itself? Pinnacle of the action genre. Devil May Cry (NOT Donte must Cry: DmC) is it's sire/prince and Bayonetta is it's princess while Metal Gear Raiden: Revengence seems to be coming in as the Queen or possible second cousin.

God of War is the peasants.

Too bad for them I'm thinking "Sony doesn't give anything to either platform worth a damn except maybe one game every four months, so I'll just buy those on the sale (even if I don't get the 50% the rental service dudes get) next time they go on sale and forgo wishing Sony would release shit I give a damn about on the rental service."

But hey, trying the trainwreck port of NG1S is a decent thing, now I can see how bad they ported it for free. Can't knock that.

(1) God of War is fine. It's a fun action game. Is the combat as deep as Bayonetta or DMC3/4 or NG1/2? Probably not. But considering you can beat most of those games by finding an exploitable combo and mashing it until the end, depth is only what you make of it.
(2) DMC3/4 and Bayonetta are all better than NG, IMO of course.
(3) Revengeance will kill them all.
(4) I agree, NG3 was one of the worst games I played in a long time. I'm not sure what the fuck they were thinking with a lot of those changes. I'd like to see how it plays out with Razor's Edge, but I won't touch that unless they port it to PS3 (or 360).

Maybe on Very Hard/Master Ninja. But Hard and Normal is EZ if you know how to block/roll and XY->XXY(SquareTriangle->SquareSquareTriangle)/Izuna Drop.

NG3 is the abortion Bayonetta had after God of War came into her room. :( My lord Ninja Gaiden: Black doesn't speak of that episode for good reasons.
That's quite the image...

ZeroAKA

Well, I just renewed my PS+ subscription. If you guys didn't know, Sony is doing an offer right now that gives you 3 additional months of PS+ if you buy a 1-year subscription. I should be set until November of next year (hopefully I'll have a PS4 by then).

Carl

Too bad for them I'm thinking "Sony doesn't give anything to either platform worth a damn except maybe one game every four months, so I'll just buy those on the sale (even if I don't get the 50% the rental service dudes get) next time they go on sale and forgo wishing Sony would release shit I give a damn about on the rental service."

But hey, trying the trainwreck port of NG1S is a decent thing, now I can see how bad they ported it for free. Can't knock that.

Surprise! Seks complaining about PS+.

10/10 totos.

Lol I remember taking Ninja Gaiden over to a kid's house (before black) and showing him level 1. He died to the white ninjas 3 times and swore off the game forever.

Twinduct

if you ask most people they like EU plus better :p I personally prefer NA plus but I seem to be in the minority lol

as for amazon.com, I believe you will need a US address but beyond that i don't believe they compare that to your billing info on your card. someone else could explain better either way make sure you buy the online code and not the code that will be shipped out.

Yeah I've used it quite alot with steam codes ... which was also 'US only'.
I think it's just a reaction to the NGS+ though. I'm sure the EU store will get it 'down the line' but yeah, just wanted something to play until the 20th (or whenever P4G arrives)

zulux21

Well, I just renewed my PS+ subscription. If you guys didn't know yet, Sony is doing an offer that gives you 3 additional months of PS+ if you buy a 1-year subscription. I should be set until November of next year (hopefully I'll have a PS4 by then).

i need to check when I am good until I can't remember if it's nov 2014 or march 2014... if it's march i might pick up a new year of plus.. though to be fair I have been there since day one,June 29, 2010, and have only bought 2 years (30 months) so my account should have expired last December, but free months and the psn getting hacked has keep me good for a while lol, thus I might just hold out and wait for a slightly better deal or more month bonuses in games ect.

Yeah I've used it quite alot with steam codes ... which was also 'US only'.
I think it's just a reaction to the NGS+ though. I'm sure the EU store will get it 'down the line' but yeah, just wanted something to play until the 20th (or whenever P4G arrives)

oh i was just saying what the majority think. EU gets more retail ps3 games, there is no denying that, but for me something like megaman 9/10 is worth more than Vanquish, sleeping dogs and batman AC combined as they are games I already own. I tend to wait 6 months to get most retail games as by then i can get them for $5-$10 so most of the retail games on the ps+ don't interest me at all because I either already own them (as they tend to be more than 6 months old) or don't have any interest in them and thus don't want to take up 10gb of my hard drive and bandwidth on them. Beyond that in general I prefer random niche titles over big AAA titles. Especially this gen a lot of AAA titles bore me because they all tend to just play it safe... meaning in general they aren't bad, but they aren't anything that makes me go WOW! either. There are more reasons why I don't like the digital retail titles on plus in general but I don't need to bore you with details.

That being said ninja gaiden isn't a bad title for me as it meets my rarely met criteria for a retail game.
A. I don't own it and have no interest in buying it.
B. Despite having no interest in buying it I still wouldn't mind trying it out at some point.
C. it still would cost more that $15 to obtain

the only other retail release I can think of that came out in EU or NA that met that criteria for me was KoF13
both infamous 2 and gravity rush are games I still plan on buying but have held off because i own them on plus, so they are a plus as well, and I managed to lend my friend LBP2 because i already owned it but could get it through plus, but beyond that I don't think I have or would have bothered with any other retail release on PS+

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Well, I just renewed my PS+ subscription. If you guys didn't know, Sony is doing an offer right now that gives you 3 additional months of PS+ if you buy a 1-year subscription. I should be set until November of next year (hopefully I'll have a PS4 by then).

whered u buy from? psn directly?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Surprise! Seks complaining about PS+.

Surprise, Carl defending lord Sony-sama's honor.

Tell me, how much of the IGC do you own and how much of it do you want to play?

Yeah... that's what I thought. Either you 1) own the titles they're giving out for free (therefor crap update) or 2) no1currs (crap update).

RARELY do they give a 3) game that's okay and some1currs and you don't own it.

Thinking about it, the way to solve 1-2 and is to pull a VF5: Day-1 IGC it for 1-4 weeks. That would make the service worthwhile since you don't run into the bullshit of "damn, I already own that/damn I don't care about that" that PSRS continues to do. But, hey, if you want Sony to not fix it more power to you. They won't be getting another $50 hope-and-change off me next year.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

Yeah... that's what I thought. Either you 1) own the titles they're giving out for free (therefor crap update) or 2) no1currs (crap update).

Thinking about it, the way to solve 1-2 and is to pull a VF5: Day-1 IGC it for 1-4 weeks. That would make the service worthwhile since you don't run into the bullshit of "damn, I already own that/damn I don't care about that" that PSRS continues to do. But, hey, if you want Sony to not fix it more power to you. They won't be getting another $50 hope-and-change off me next year.

personally i've developed a strong resistance to the buying urge in general, so odds are i don't own the IGC game... and sony will definitely be getting 50$ out of me for the next year (+3 free months) - esp with all the ps3 games too and discounts.

i think theyve been doing a great job with the service... it's not their fault you own most of the games or areant interested in the rest.

really the only way they can rectify ps+ in your eyes if having a larger pool of games to choose from...therefore you not owning all the good ones already ( or you still would - not sure of your buying habits)

To be fair, I didn't own any of the PS + titles, though my brother was lending me Uncharted. But then again, I haven't put any time into any of those titles besides a brief stint with RCR

One good thing about ps+ is that I get to try games I would normally never be interested in.

Case in point Ninja Gaiden, never played any of the games in the series and now I get take a chance on it for free. If I don't like it I'm not really out anything.

zulux21

personally i've developed a strong resistance to the buying urge in general, so odds are i don't own the IGC game... and sony will definitely be getting 50$ out of me for the next year (+3 free months) - esp with all the ps3 games too and discounts.

i think theyve been doing a great job with the service... it's not their fault you own most of the games or areant interested in the rest.

really the only way they can rectify ps+ in your eyes if having a larger pool of games to choose from...therefore you not owning all the good ones already ( or you still would - not sure of your buying habits)
to be fair PS+ is not good for people who buy everything they want. It's best for people who either only buy a few games a year and want to supplement their collection or people like me who tend to wait until there is a good sale on any game that isn't the 2-5 that I must have as soon as they come out (typically niche games that never go on sale anyways)

there is no way to make a good version of PS+ for someone who buys everything they want as you would have to offer everything right away for them, which there is only so much you could offer for $50 a year to a person who would give you money for everything anyways and try to make it worth it for both parties involved.

One good thing about ps+ is that I get to try games I would normally never be interested in.

Case in point Ninja Gaiden, never played any of the games in the series and now I get take a chance on it for free. If I don't like it I'm not really out anything.

that is in general my views. I am a person that loves trying out games. I would have never tried out a space shooter for two bucks or flying hamster with out plus and those are some of my favorite games in the last 5 years. (we are talking top 100, not top 10 stuff :p) nor would have I tried foosball 2012, and I didn't actually hate the game, i would have hated paying for it, but it was like a stupid flash game that amused me for 20 min for some reason lol

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
to be fair PS+ is not good for people who buy everything they want. It's best for people who either only buy a few games a year and want to supplement their collection or people like me who tend to wait until there is a good sale on any game that isn't the 2-5 that I must have as soon as they come out (typically niche games that never go on sale anyways)

there is no way to make a good version of PS+ for someone who buys everything they want as you would have to offer everything right away for them, which there is only so much you could offer for $50 a year to a person who would give you money for everything anyways and try to make it worth it for both parties involved.

that is in general my views. I am a person that loves trying out games. I would have never tried out a space shooter for two bucks or flying hamster with out plus and those are some of my favorite games in the last 5 years. (we are talking top 100, not top 10 stuff :p) nor would have I tried foosball 2012, and I didn't actually hate the game, i would have hated paying for it, but it was like a stupid flash game that amused me for 20 min for some reason lol

yeah ageed on both accounts.

Carl

Why does me owning the games they own mean it's a crap update? Lol. If they gave away the 20 top games of the gen i'd probably own 99% of them, but it wouldn't be a "crap update". There's a difference between content you own and "crap".

Whatever they give away, there will always be some people that own it. And as i said before, i own the vast majority of content they give away, but it's worth it to me for the small percentage i don't own, and for the discounts. Discounts alone cover the PS+ subscription cost for me, so any games i don't own are just gravy.

zulux21

NG is a solid choice. It's one of the few decent launch titles I don't already have so I'll play it and trophy whore it gladly.
are you feeling ok, the lack of hate towards well.. everything in general today is a bit worrisome :p
Why does me owning the games they own mean it's a crap update? Lol. If they gave away the 20 top games of the gen i'd probably own 99% of them, but it wouldn't be a "crap update". There's a difference between content you own and "crap".

it really depends on how you define a crap update. If you want to define it as a crap update for yourself if it's because you own everything that is fine. I don't personally consider the EU update for feb crap, but it's definitely something I wouldn't want. Ninja Gaiden for me was more exciting than the entire EU feb update (it should be noted those that ninja gaiden is part of NA's jan update still though), doesn't make EU's crap, in fact most people are excited for it, but it's not for me.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
all things considered I feel like vita's 2013 year is shaping up nicely. currently it may not be a plethora of games, but theres something solid for everyone it seems. except maybe rpg? but hey theres ps1 and p4g for that.

though a demoralizing demo of sly i'm still stoked for it.... looking forward to the announcements this week too from sony on tearaway and KZ. and i know theres some unannounced goodness coming. :)

ZeroAKA

all things considered I feel like vita's 2013 year is shaping up nicely. currently it may not be a plethora of games, but theres something solid for everyone it seems. except maybe rpg? but hey theres ps1 and p4g for that.
The Vita is still lacking a worthwhile and well-priced FPS, but Killzone should change that. More RPG fans should check out Disgaea 3.

zulux21

I would like more games confirmed lol.
for me the only must have vita title for 2013 would be the binding of isaac (which is on sale 75% off on steam today for those who have a decent gaming pc and want to try it before it comes to vita with extra features)

beyond that the only game that interests me that is confirmed for NA release at this time is soul sacrifice, and I need more info on that before I am sure if I will buy it or not lol

im excited for Dragon's Crown but will get it on the ps3 instead, and tear away looks ok, but i have fears that touch controls will make it unplayable for me as I don't generally like touch controls.

dan2026

I still don't really know how PS+ works.

Is it a rotating cycle of free content?

Or is it just a library they keep adding to?

ZeroAKA

Rotating cycle, although once you've added the game to your shopping cart, you get to keep it and even redownload it as long as you have PS+.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I would like more games confirmed lol.
for me the only must have vita title for 2013 would be the binding of isaac (which is on sale 75% off on steam today for those who have a decent gaming pc and want to try it before it comes to vita with extra features)

beyond that the only game that interests me that is confirmed for NA release at this time is soul sacrifice, and I need more info on that before I am sure if I will buy it or not lol

im excited for Dragon's Crown but will get it on the ps3 instead, and tear away looks ok, but i have fears that touch controls will make it unplayable for me as I don't generally like touch controls.

yeah - see it somewhat limited lineup, but i'm viewing vita differently than i view my ps3. my vita has allowed me to play and enjoy/discover so many more games than ps3, due to the smaller library. it brings me back to the days when i could invest time into games rather than have gaming add- and buy a new game asap. nowadays everyone is looking for their next hit of quality/AAA gaming... vita really lets you appreciate and explore... maybe i'm being too optimistic here. but just how i feel with my lovely mobile friend.

also: Let's Fish arrives tomorrow no?

Mokubba

This thread moves so fast.

PS+, why you so good

Invisimals coming out this year, bring it on. I've heard so many good things.

I also thought this quote was interesting from the PS4 leaks thread.

I think the most interesting "new" part in this are the Extras, but there isn't really a lot of information there. However:

- Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
Really interesting if we could get across-the-board support for low-latency streaming to Vita.

This could be mean even better remote play which is what I'm hoping for.

VanWinkle

though a demoralizing demo of sly i'm still stoked for it.... looking forward to the announcements this week too from sony on tearaway and KZ. and i know theres some unannounced goodness coming. :)

Why demoralizing?

zulux21

Yeah, an extensive one. Being a completist doesn't help matters.
Easily have enough to keep me busy until the fall already.
man... if I was a completionist, given my backlog, even if I played 18 hours a day, I think my backlog would last me into the 2020s >.>:
also: Let's Fish arrives tomorrow no?

it does but that is far more of a wait to hear if it's good and then pick it up on sale to have stupid fun with it game instead of a game i want lol

Vodh

A bit of both. As long as you're a subscriber, you can 'buy' the free games for free - at any given time, there's a selection of such games for you to 'buy'. In that regard, it's a rotating cycle of free content.

But all the games you've ever 'bought' remain yours to play - the only requirement is that you need to be a PS+ subscriber to access the content you've received for free. You can unsubscribe, which makes you lose the access, but as soon as you resub, you'll be able to play all the free PS+ games you've ever 'bought' (or, in other words, added to your download list when they were free). In that regard, it's a library they keep adding to.

So, essentially, you just build your own library of free games by claiming the currently free titles whenever they become available.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
it does but that is far more of a wait to hear if it's good and then pick it up on sale to have stupid fun with it game instead of a game i want lol

hahaha! yeah, well 20$ is a nice price - so i may jump in feet first. and if not its aperfect game for sale price/ps+ for a game you may not normally pick up, but realize its fun after you experience it.

US PS+ redeemed. I've never played any of the Ninja Gaiden games, but I have always been interested in them.

Edit: Sweet, it'll be free starting tomorrow. :D

NGS+ (prepare to be amazed by visuals if) Just adjust the contrast and gamma (etc) levels in the opening options to (in order of sliders):

zulux21

hahaha! yeah, well 20$ is a nice price - so i may jump in feet first. and if not its aperfect game for sale price/ps+ for a game you may not normally pick up, but realize its fun after you experience it.

oh carp...
I just realized that I talked about let's fish without a fishing pun in my sentence... the lead weight of this oversight has hooked my soul and sunk it to the bottom of a deep dark lake :/

VanWinkle

havent have first hand experience...yet

but the opinions i see are more bad than good, so it saddened me a bit...

like i said though im still excited. planning on crossbuying it.

I assume you mean opinions on the PS3 demo? The thread on that demo was far more positive than negative, but maybe you were reading from a different thread/forum. If you mean the two impressions on the PS3 game we've read, the only negative was long load times. That could be very important to you, but that doesn't make for a bad game.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I assume you mean opinions on the PS3 demo? The thread on that demo was far more positive than negative, but maybe you were reading from a different thread/forum. If you mean the two impressions on the PS3 game we've read, the only negative was long load times. That could be very important to you, but that doesn't make for a bad game.

i never said it was a bad game....

but it's had lots of hype, so anything negative is demoralizing. you know brings your excitement down a little from where it was.

VanWinkle

i never said it was a bad game....

but it's had lots of hype, so anything negative is demoralizing. you know brings your excitement down a little from where it was.

That's understandable. Were you referring to the PS3 demo thread, by the way? Because I'd like to read whatever thread has more bad stuff than good stuff in it, to get an idea of what I'm in for.

OmegaZero

WHY ARE YOU GUYS NOT TALKING ABOUT NGΣ+?

IT'S FREE!
DOWNLOAD IT!
GET YOUR ASSES KICKED BY NINJA!

ASDFGJKLASKDHFASDK

NGS+ (prepare to be amazed by visuals if) Just adjust the contrast and gamma (etc) levels in the opening options to (in order of sliders):

Also make sure to do this ^^^
The game's default visual settings make it look very washed out.

Top Bottom