• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wake-up Club |OT| Wake-up = life

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Tried it this morning and won 2 trophies! Too bad no one else i know has it yet.

zroid

Banned
Well, whaddya know, I got to cheer two people on today! I still awoke to find 9 others already up, while being credited as 1st, but at least I have proof now that this actually kinda works!

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Well, whaddya know, I got to cheer two people on today! I still awoke to find 9 others already up, while being credited as 1st, but at least I have proof now that this actually kinda works!

came to post this.... same happens with me!

hopefully its counting towards the trophy :p

Beckx

Today was the third day in a row that I woke up, got 1st in group, and everyone was awake before I got to cheer anyone on.

Apparently I am in the over-achievers group for wake up club. Where are the slackers? I want to virtually yell at you to wake up!

jrronimo

Woke up in 12s and with bots this morning due to PSN maintenance; got the trophy for everyone waking up anyway. Woo!

I picked up the Vita dock yesterday when I happened to pass by it in a store. Sadly it doesn't work unless I take off my case, but it feels a little more alarm clock-y that way.

lantus

5:45-6:00am central mon, wed, and fri. Sometimes later if I can't help it. I'm going to try and remember to download this before next week, so I can start this as soon as possible.

MisterC20XX

Oh my goodness, the crushing disappointment of missing my alarm, looking at my Vita and seeing that weeping sheep and the scrolling list of names! I forgot that I had my headphones plugged in so I overslept. :( To hell with this app, I can't take the potential for morning sadness!

So can you only use this with people on your friends list? Two days ago, bots, yesterday, it didn't even work because PSN was down so I got a generic alarm and an error message, and today, bots again.

So I have to believe that no one in the world with a PSVita uses this app to wake up at 11:00 GMT?

Looks like this really is a flop.

SmithnCo

its anyone around the world waking up at the same time as you. Someone actually added me because of this.

Yeah, you get a trophy for adding someone, so it can't just be your friends.

Hopefully people keep using this and it doesn't drop off a cliff eventually, I plan to go for the 365 days trophy legit.

zroid

Banned
This is weird. I forgot to leave the app running in the background on standby last night. You'd expect no alarm to go off this morning. Which is true, a Wake Up Club alarm did not go off.

Instead, the Vita started beeping and there was a notification that popped up saying "Time is up. Would you like to launch Wake Up Club?" The hell?

Checking my stats, it apparently didn't count as a failure. Well it certainly did the job, in any case. The beeping woke me up, lol.

VanWinkle

This is weird. I forgot to leave the app running in the background on standby last night. You'd expect no alarm to go off this morning. Which is true, a Wake Up Club alarm did not go off.

Instead, the Vita started beeping and there was a notification that popped up saying "Time is up. Would you like to launch Wake Up Club?" The hell?

Checking my stats, it apparently didn't count as a failure. Well it certainly did the job, in any case. The beeping woke me up, lol.

Huh, weird. But nice.

Weird. Mine asks me if I'd like to launch Wake Up Club every morning; and I always leave it running.

I have my alarm set for6:30am JST.
It took me over a minute and a half to get up and I still ended up in 1st place. Japan must be slacking off.

President of Japan Kamiya never sleeps

Does this thing just tell everyone they're in first place? I've woken up with it every day since it came out and have never been in anything other than first place. Only had bots during PSN maintenance, and have only had to "cheer on" real people once. While you may have woken up my heart, Wake-Up Club, you've also awoken my SUSPICION.

I may be only able to give this thing a try a try while my g/f is out of town. Otherwise, my Vita will end up being accidentally destroyed when my back is turned.

jrronimo

Wish list for Wake Up Club:
1. Be able to add friends and look at the profiles of the people you woke up with on a given day /after/ you've shut the alarm off.
2. Add own music as ringtones -- Pretty much anything from C418's Minecraft soundtrack would be awesome, though specifically Living Mice jumps to mind.
3. Add own clock faces? I feel like "the community" could make some super nice looking clocks if they were allowed to.
4. Disable "cheering on" sound effects. I don't want to hear cheering first thing in the morning if I've already turned my alarm off. If I'm tapping someone's icon, I don't want to hear /their/ encouragement.

Was first again today, at 14 seconds, and there didn't seem to be any bots. I am also growing suspicious...

Also there is a trophy for everyone in your group waking up in under 3 seconds, if I am recalling correctly. Unless I set /another/ alarm to go off before /that/ alarm, I don't see that one happening...

Generally getting up at 7 a.m. Mountain Time (UTC-7).

jrronimo

Definitely won't happen. They're going to sell them!

I figured that, but a boy can dream. Hell, I'd give 'em $5 for the privilege of adding my own music (given that it's a free app). I'm guessing we won't see Minecraft songs on there, for instance...

Yeah that time-based trophy has to be impossible, because it takes longer than 3 seconds for the app to load from standby. Even if I hit the button [as] instantaneously [as possible], it still takes around 10 seconds.

megalowho

Remembered to throw my Vita on the bedside table last night for some Wake-up Club action. Got a beep that wasn't my alarm, a popup asking me if I'd like to open Wake-up Club (yes), then a connection popup and finally a notification telling me I need to update my System software. I shut the thing off and got on with my morning.

The idea of Wake-up Club >>> Wake-up Club on PS Vita. Having to open and load the app when your alarm goes off instead of just going straight to the social alarm bit is kind of a dealbreaker to begin with. Hope they can improve upon it, but the way the OS is set up currently is just not conducive to being a good alarm clock.

zroid

Banned
Guh... I forgot I had lowered the system volume yesterday, so this morning's Wake Up was a bust :(

As neat as this thing is, it's just too much at the mercy of what is otherwise your video game playing device to be entirely practical. Forgetting to open WUC or turn the master volume up to max shouldn't be issues you'd have with a proper (reliable) alarm.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Guh... I forgot I had lowered the system volume yesterday, so this morning's Wake Up was a bust :(

As neat as this thing is, it's just too much at the mercy of what is otherwise your video game playing device to be entirely practical. Forgetting to open WUC or turn the master volume up to max shouldn't be issues you'd have with a proper (reliable) alarm.

Yeah that's a problem. Also when I use it as a proper alarm without the internet connectivity it doesn't make loud noises at all. It's 3 soft alarm sounds that you only hear if you're already awake.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

agreed - i'm about to delete it off myself. fun while it lasted.

Shoyz

Are you supposed to wake up for the first ring? I don't set my alarm to wake myself when I need to wake up, I set it about 20 minutes early so I can get a couple of snoozes off and then wake up on time. :(

Tried to wake up this morning. It beeped, I went to it, Vita told me to update OS.

I was pretty annoyed... The Vita needs to connect to the internet 5 mins before the timer goes off to make sure any updates are downloaded and whatever because clicking on the wake up club thing, then waiting a minute as it tries to connect to wifi AND psn... is super annoying.

Pretty much. Unless you have the program open, not on music or Music unlimited (which I use a lot on my Vita dock), and the thing connected to the internet already, it's useless.

Woke up half an hour late today because apparently the Vita's "can't find a network connection!" error message takes precedence over everything else until you dismiss it, so my alarm never went off (or rather, it did, but it was hidden behind the error so I never heard it). I think the honeymoon is over.

Remembered to throw my Vita on the bedside table last night for some Wake-up Club action. Got a beep that wasn't my alarm, a popup asking me if I'd like to open Wake-up Club (yes), then a connection popup and finally a notification telling me I need to update my System software. I shut the thing off and got on with my morning.

The idea of Wake-up Club >>> Wake-up Club on PS Vita. Having to open and load the app when your alarm goes off instead of just going straight to the social alarm bit is kind of a dealbreaker to begin with. Hope they can improve upon it, but the way the OS is set up currently is just not conducive to being a good alarm clock.

Just realized we had the exact same problem.

jrronimo

Completely agreed. If the system didn't insta-sleep while the screen was off, or if WUC wouldn't take so long to open, it'd be awwwwright. But it's way too hampered by itself.

Even silly things for me like: WUC works best when the Vita's in a dock, in my opinion -- it looks and even sometimes acts more like an alarm clock. Since the USB cable is super short, so the power brick has to rest of my nightstand, which is just messy. I suppose I could have the dock there without the power cable, but that seems silly...

Woke up half an hour late today because apparently the Vita's "can't find a network connection!" error message takes precedence over everything else until you dismiss it, so my alarm never went off (or rather, it did, but it was hidden behind the error so I never heard it). I think the honeymoon is over.

I've been setting my "normal" alarm clock to go off 5 minutes after WUC's, just in case WUC's didn't work for some reason. An alarm should be a relatively straightforward thing; to have the app *not* work in its *only reason for existing* seems a bit ridiculous...

Every morning, a bunch of bots. I don't think I've seen an actual person. Everyone always awake already. This is such bullshit. What a piece of shit app.

WUC_zpsd02ebf5e.gif

:)

RpgN

I doubt it's going to be handy besides the novelty but I'd love to be proven wrong since I have a hard time waking up :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
There's something seriously wrong with this game's backend server stuff. I can delay clicking for a couple minutes, arrive to a woken up club and be signaled as first.

Kind of ruins the competitive nature and degrades it to an alarm clock with bots.

Yup. I've used it every day since it launched in the US. The program behaved correctly the first day, and never again since. Now I either get a combination of me and bots, or a room where everyone is awake already yet I'm ranked first. I have no idea why I'm even using it at this point... I guess because it gives me something to do on the Vita.

Frazley

I love waking up in the morning to this.

One question: how do I view profiles? I try touching and holding down on the avatars when people are waking up and nothing happens, I also try pressing the avatars when it is on the congratulations screen and nothing seems to happen.

SmithnCo

I love waking up in the morning to this.

One question: how do I view profiles? I try touching and holding down on the avatars when people are waking up and nothing happens, I also try pressing the avatars when it is on the congratulations screen and nothing seems to happen.

I just touch and hold on woken up people. I don't think it works after everyone has woken up though.

Top Bottom