• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanda and the Colossus famitsu scan

TheGreenGiant said:
The big scanned images look awesome; quietly photorealistic and atmospheric. I've played maybe 20 minutes of my ICO disc which I picked up 3 days ago. Can't quite get into it yet but I want to. ICO's art style takes a bit of getting used to, doesn't it? I keep squinting at the screen.

It does? *shrugs*

I was captured from the moment the intro sequence finished until the end. Somehow the game just sucked me in in a matter of seconds.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, breathtaking.... has there been any mention on when this will release yet?

In that 1st thread I called embargo only to come in here and proceed to use the scan visor so just like Jason I saw new environment shots and cursed my cheating eyes - gotta quit now fo' real. wanda media "can't look no more" is now in process. +3

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Marconelly said:
op_ivy, sometimes during the 2005. I've heard June 2005 being mentioned for the Japanese release.

damn, thats quite a ways off... i'd imagine wanda will again use the fake language from ICO? if so, can we at least expect it to hit hear soon after japan? how close did ICO release in the 2 regions?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
op_ivy said:
damn, thats quite a ways off... i'd imagine wanda will again use the fake language from ICO? if so, can we at least expect it to hit hear soon after japan? how close did ICO release in the 2 regions?

Interesting enough, ICO was released in America first, then in other regions

cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

*wipes tears from eyes*

It's just... so beautiful. It's beyond words. I'm gonna faint when the first video trailers rolls out.

:D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Interesting enough, ICO was released in America first, then in other regions
Yeah, and sadly too. US version was definitely half assed compared to the ones released elsewhere. Well, at least the actual game was pretty much intact, it's just the bonus stuff that was completely left out of US version. I just hope that by now they have realized the US was at least equally important market for the game, and will treat it as such.

damn, thats quite a ways off...
It is, but it took them around 4 years to make Ico, and here it's about the same.

Matlock

Banned
Dear ICO Team:

If this is as good as it looks, I'll pardon the travesty that was ICO. I doubt you'll fail with this one, mainly because it looks extremely fucking awesome.

Sincerely,

Matlock

Matlock said:
Dear ICO Team:

If this is as good as it looks, I'll pardon the travesty that was ICO. I doubt you'll fail with this one, mainly because it looks extremely fucking awesome.

Sincerely,

Matlock

>_<

Alucard

Banned
I'll chime in with the rest and say "Oh my God, that looks absolutely beautiful."

So is this a sequel to Ico or is it a new game by the same creative team? *out of the loop*

Alucard said:
I'll chime in with the rest and say "Oh my God, that looks absolutely beautiful."

So is this a sequel to Ico or is it a new game by the same creative team? *out of the loop*

Same team, new game.

Alucard

Banned
If my buddy at work remembered to bring in his PS2 today, then I should have one by this evening. After that, I'm off to purchase a copy of ICO. :)

MASB

neo2046 said:
wait! will I get any trouble if I post too many mag scans.......??
From what I remember from a topic long ago, the reason you can't post scans from American/European mags is that various GAF people work or rather could potentially work for the various mags, so they don't want scans to potentially piss off future employers. Not to mention a chance of potentially getting sued. For Famitsu, etc. none or practically none of the GAF will ever work for them, and the chances of Enterbrain finding out about it and suing is small, so copyrights can be ignored in those cases. In other words, it's not about copyright laws or anything, just about convience.

As for the scans, they look great. :) And why does Matlock have to rain on the parade? ;)

WordofGod

Banned
This game is one of the most impressive videogames I have ever seen. Maybe even surpassing the shock of Zelda @ last years E3 2004. WoW!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think he has a quota of at least four Ico trolls a week to fulfil. The man's tireless.
Haven't seen anyone so persistent since the days when Rasputin/Duke Raoul actually gave a crap about posting on the gaming board. o_O

pcostabel

Gold Member
DSN2K said:
screw high res textures and bump mapping,

this is going to be the best looking game ever :D

I totally agree. Ico ans Wanda are proof that art direction >>>>>> graphics poWaR!
I am afraid that next gen we will be flooded with games full of shiny plastic characters and environments, if the demos are any indication. Thank god there will always be people like Ueda that will use the technology to make truely beautiful works of art.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Mike Works said:
I want this more than Zelda.

I have to admit to this as well. And it's because of the concept alone. Scaling these huge creatures to exploit weakness... it's like a flea simulator. :D

And I actually thought about this type of gameplay before, when a large section of God of War was described as taking place on the back of a giant who is crawling through a desert.

Wildly imaginative gameplay and awe inspiring visuals = sale.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Thinking about it, yeah, this definately is my most anticipated game for the long-term, which does even surpass Zelda.

BTW, what is the name of the developer? Do we just call them "Team ICO?"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Me too... though I want The Minish Cap more than both. :)

I haven't kept up on Minish Cap. What's the deal with it? I had always assumed it was a simply a new 2D Zelda...but is it something totally new and creative? That would be sweet...

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
I haven't kept up on Minish Cap. What's the deal with it? I had always assumed it was a simply a new 2D Zelda...but is it something totally new and creative? That would be sweet...
It's a new 2D Zelda from Capcom, the dual world mechanic this time involves shrinking/growing Link... looks excellent. Nice art too, here's the JP website.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
And I actually thought about this type of gameplay before, when a large section of God of War was described as taking place on the back of a giant who is crawling through a desert.
Wow, now that you've mentioned it, I remember. Hell knows how these two teams came to such a simillar idea. It's supposed to be one level in God of War, or something like that, though, and I'm not sure what you are supposed to do while you are on that monster, but I remember him describing that you have to catch up, and climb onto a gigantic monster.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
/drool

Simply amazing art, the huge giants, the outdoors, the lighting, everything is so surreal and yet what you would expect from such a weird universe.

pcostabel said:
I totally agree. Ico ans Wanda are proof that art direction >>>>>> graphics poWaR!
I am afraid that next gen we will be flooded with games full of shiny plastic characters and environments, if the demos are any indication. Thank god there will always be people like Ueda that will use the technology to make truely beautiful works of art.

Indeed, the majority of devs, especially western ones are heading straight to bump & normal map madness, it might be a showcase of amazing technology and approach CG look, but imo, its not gonna beat a good modeller with plain old polygons and textures, art has a lot to do with it too and sadly, devs who go the bump mapping madness route typically dont give a shit about art.

teiresias

Indeed, the majority of devs, especially western ones are heading straight to bump & normal map madness

I think the strength of ICO (and seeminly Wanda) is that it revels in its otherworldly vibe and uses it to the fullest extent to bring its art to forefront. The problem with most of the next-gen western stuff I've seen (mainly the next-gen PC FPS games, with which I'll include Doom3) is that it's mainly tech without making it look natural.

However, if the new Unreal demos were any indication it looks like they've finally got the models having that "lived in" look that Doom3 lacks IMO.

I sort of hope Wanda doesn't use that "low res" whatever mode that ICO did and that it's ethereal without having that kind of washed out look of the original game.

Matlock

Banned
Mike Works said:
Game of the fucking century. I want this more than Zelda.

If you're talking about "Mature Zelda," I agree. "Minish Cap/2D Zelda"...not really.

I'd have to put this right above GTA:SA on my "to get" list.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, the scope and epicness of this game is fantastic. Just looking at that pic with the main character next to the giant...and the pic with the nice little lake where the main character is mounted on the horse...I'm now officially very, very impressed.

Ill Saint

There seems to be a day / night cycle?

I've read that the game is about 2 to 3 times longer than ICO, so this bodes very well.

Marconelly said:
Yeah, and sadly too. US version was definitely half assed compared to the ones released elsewhere. Well, at least the actual game was pretty much intact, it's just the bons stuff that was completely left out of US version. I just hope that by now they have realized the US was at least equally important market for the game, and will treat it as such.

It is, but it took them around 4 years to make Ico, and here it's about the same.

Ico started out as a PS1 title though, so here's hoping that WATC is going to be a much longer game than Ico.

And I get a very Panzer Dragoon vibe from the scans. Atleast the first one, not a big fan of the artwork in the Xbox PD.

Top Bottom