• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump recorded bragging about his fame letting him violate women in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
gtanW6y.jpg

You know our motto...
OMG XD

Politically speaking the worst would be audio of him freely rambling about how he is playing everyone and doesn't really care about any of the issues his platform is built on. Basically saying that he doesn't care at all about poor people getting jobs or tax breaks, wants illegals here, etc.

That MIGHT be the only thing that moves his base, even if it wouldn't really shock anyone who is against him right now.
I don't think so. He admitted, publicly, during the debate, that he doesn't pay income tax and that this makes him smart. That didn't sway his supporters one bit. Nor did the fact that he spent his own charity's money on portraits of himself.

Then again, after all the shit we've been through, I'm mildly surprised that this actually gets enough traction. It's not like it was really surprising that he'd grope women, though I guess it's nice to have unequivocal proof. So who knows?

Looking forward the the Republican postmortem after this election.

I'll give it to you right now: "Trump was the problem".

That'll be pretty much it.

No admission that they cultivated the base that voted for him. No self-reflection about being the party of racism, misogyny, and bigotry. They're going to say "we are the party of values, it was just a fluke that Trump won our nomination". They'll talk about reaching out to minorities and women, with no actual plan as to how. They'll still think their "values" and "fiscal responsibility" should attract them.

I predict zero change in the party platform. No backing off of LBGT hate, "voter fraud" (ie. let's try to keep blacks from voting), or any of their other horrific stances.

And, most of all, I predict this: just as electing the first black president snapped the minds of casual racists across the country, electing the first woman president is going to snap the minds of...well, actually probably a lot of the same people.

Buckle down, because the GOP's "Hillary is the devil" campaign isn't going to slow down one bit after November 8th.

hobozero

I'm curious why now people are withdrawing support after all the garbage he's been spewing ever since he announced his running. Is it cause now they think they can rally behind Pence?

This question or a variant has come up a lot in this (beautiful, beautiful) thread (NeoGAF has the best threads. Just the best), and I have a theory.

All his previous heinous utterances have been interviews or from the pulpit. There is an implicit understanding among the electorate that, like all politicians, whatever he says publicly will be bullshit. The good things will be bullshit to win votes. The bad things will be bullshit to win votes. It's all, to one degree or another, bullshit. So when he says POWs are bad soldiers, or Mexicans are rapists, supporters just mentally adjust the ol' Bullshit Detector. He didn't really mean that, you see? It's all fine. Everything is fine.

But when he says something in private, the context is different. He isn't trying to win votes or sway anyone. It breaks the Bullshit Detector's calibration. He had no reason to lie in private, so mentally there is no "out"; there's no way to justify the comments as pandering.

And when you can't disregard the comments as pandering bullshit, it splits everyone into 2 camps - people who recognize that he is a sack of garbastic, womanizing shite, and people who refuse to and defend him appear as hypocrites (which they totally are).

McLovin

So he's saying you can sexually assault "rape" women and get away with it if your rich and famous? And that he did it because he could? Jesus fucking Christ.
I would consider grabbing a woman by her privates rape

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Amazing article on NY Times about this whole thing. The climax/ending is incredible.
You weren't lying. Fantastic piece and deserves to be shared.

Some choice quotes:
If you snicker or say nothing while your fellow men behave like Donald Trump, you are no better.
If you have spent your career brutalizing and dehumanizing women legislatively rather than personally, you are no better. If you were happy to overlook months of violent racism, xenophobia, transphobia and Islamophobia from the Trump campaign, but now you’re mad that he used a bad word and tried to sleep with another man’s wife, you are no better.

KarmaCow

The thing that I don't get is people thinking this is just about him saying a naughty word. It's like, no, legally what he's bragging about is committing serial sexual assault.

It's the only thing they can spin and they're desperate to make the conversation about that instead.

I'll give it to you right now: "Trump was the problem".

That'll be pretty much it.

No admission that they cultivated the base that voted for him. No self-reflection about being the party of racism, misogyny, and bigotry. They're going to say "we are the party of values, it was just a fluke that Trump won our nomination". They'll talk about reaching out to minorities and women, with no actual plan as to how. They'll still think their "values" and "fiscal responsibility" should attract them.

I predict zero change in the party platform. No backing off of LBGT hate, "voter fraud" (ie. let's try to keep blacks from voting), or any of their other horrific stances.

And, most of all, I predict this: just as electing the first black president snapped the minds of casual racists across the country, electing the first woman president is going to snap the minds of...well, actually probably a lot of the same people.

Buckle down, because the GOP's "Hillary is the devil" campaign isn't going to slow down one bit after November 8th.

That's the best
worst
part about all of this though. The postmortem after Romney's failed bid featured Republicans saying that they needed to increase their appeal with minority voters, fix their stance on immigration reform, acknowledge the gay community, and to stop presenting themselves as the protectors of the rich. Four years later and here we are ...

Red

They're still failing to see the difference between "normal" (but still grossly juvenile) gutter talk and what Trump said.
There are plenty who can't make the distinction, and who genuinely believe Trump's words are healthy, regular, everyday remarks, who believe that the behavior he describes is not only okay, but normal, even encouraged, so anyone who does not behave that way is in the wrong.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There are plenty who can't make the distinction, and who genuinely believe Trump's words are healthy, regular, everyday remarks, who believe that the behavior he describes is not only okay, but normal, even encouraged, so anyone who does not behave that way is in the wrong.

"but what's rape culture guys?"

Bronx-Man

Banned

Servbot24

Banned
I hope Hillary goes for the jugular on Sunday. If Trump is really going in with Bill Clinton affairs as his primary ammunition, she should be prepared to flip that shit on him straight quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom