• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skab

Imagine them getting to wc3s era, with them splitting the story into multiple parts, and the first movie ends with, "Succeeding you, father."

I think it's looking alright. I'm not going to nitpick the CG as you can do that for any film but I get the feeling it will be decent.

Having played since the original Orcs&Humans it's almost enough to see it just to see that entire world on the big screen and I can't believe I'm the only one who feels that way.

The visual effects are really nice, but I'm getting uncanny valley feeling from that. Almost everything looks very obviously filmed against a green screen.

Oh shit, we got dwarvez (perhaps in Ironforge?):

TWKm0sc.jpg
Finally!

-griffy-

Banned
Orcs don't have green blood, they have red/reddish black blood depending on which game you're playing.

Night elves have purple, draenei have blue. The rest are standard red.

The movie orcs appear to have green blood (or at least the green-skinned variety). We've seen it in at least two shots now. Green blood is probably easier to get away with in PG-13 then red blood.

Khezu

I have no idea what I'm expecting from this movie, but I like Warcraft so I'm going to see it.

I don't really mind if it's going to look hella fake, as long as its consistent in it's fakeness.
Only when CGI is super uneven does it ever pull me out of a movie.

Orcs don't have green blood, they have red/reddish black blood depending on which game you're playing.

Night elves have purple, draenei have blue. The rest are standard red.

Do you know that for this movie? I'm simply trying to explain the squirting liquid coming out of the orc on the right side of the gif.

Wreav

Banned
Not convinced it's Ironforge. Notice the open sky in the background, and remember that the dwarves have their own forging district in the back of Stormwind.

-griffy-

Banned
Not convinced it's Ironforge. Notice the open sky in the background, and remember that the dwarves have their own forging district in the back of Stormwind.

I'm not so sure that's open sky in the background, looks like it could be opening to a giant cavern.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm not particularly interested in the Warcraft universe but Duncan Jones does good work, this looks to be a labor of love, and frankly I want the movie to be a success so we can get a Diablo adaptation, so I'll probably see it at some point.

Arkeband

Banned
The movie orcs appear to have green blood (or at least the green-skinned variety). We've seen it in at least two shots now. Green blood is probably easier to get away with in PG-13 then red blood.

That's disappointing, black would have at least been canon to the WC3 intro trailer.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
All vfx were completed last April.

For anyone thinking that the vfx possibly won't improve, most of the scenes in the tv spot are taken right out of that first trailer which came out in november and is most likely much older.
I'm not saying that the final trailer or release version won't have odd vfx/composition though, but it probably won't be this bad.

Zackat

Then don't go see it, you fucking CG nitpickers are the worst...

They just want the real orcs to get a job too.

Full CGI would have been the dream but would the general public have gone to see it more than this? I have my doubts.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
They just want the real orcs to get a job too.

Full CGI would have been the dream but would the general public have gone to see it more than this? I have my doubts.
Full CGI movies not aimed at kids fail miserably at the box office.

Nokterian

Are people that stupid here tend to forget warcraft always had a bit of a cartoony look? To me it nails how warcraft looks.

Arkeband

Banned
Are people that stupid here tend to forget warcraft always had a bit of a cartoony look? To me it nails how warcraft looks.

We're at least smart enough to realize they're not going for Space Jam, and that the aim of the CGI is to be believable alongside live action actors.

Nokterian

We're at least smart enough to realize they're not going for Space Jam, and that the aim of the CGI is to be believable alongside live action actors.

No but it has the aesthetics on how warcraft looks and feels from the oversized armor on the humans to even on the orcs that is always been the case for example.

Zackat

I trust in ILM. Some of these shots are scary but they have done good work. I'm cautiously optimistic.

raphier

Banned
That cloak tho

C47qbBQ.gif
This shot is super weird. I am not exactly sure what happens, Lothar slides between his legs, but the sword is weird, like it ghosts through the body. There is supposed to be contact, but he still slides forward. He shouldve fallen.

-griffy-

Banned
This shot is super weird. I am not exactly sure what happens, Lothar slides between his legs, but the sword is weird, like it ghosts through the body. No momentum or he twists it behind his back.

He's sliding, sword in front of him. Sword collides with orc, pushing dude's body down. Sword slices through groin/ass, comes out the other end in a spray of blood. It's pretty straight forward.

Arkeband

Banned
He's sliding, sword in front of him. Sword collides with orc, pushing dude's body down. Sword slices through groin/ass, comes out the other end in a spray of blood. It's pretty straight forward.

He chopped his orc dick right off, bro. He definitely squishes down in an unnatural way, though.

Now I'm definitely Team Horde, all humans are good for are turtling up and cheesing with mortars and Mass Teleport. And going right for the groin.

Finaj

I think the green Orc with the bone cape is Blackhand. He's only been shown as brown in the prior footage.

Clancy Brown better bring some Orc goodness.

Grym

But will it bomb as hard as God of Egypt is the question.

Nah...It does looks nearly as bad to me. But the WoW community and long-time players are intensely loyal. There will be a big fanbase going to see this movie regardless of quality. If it is even remotely good and pulls in other viewers beyond that fanbase, it could be huge.

I honestly wish they'd have done a full "The Last Guardian" movie. It couldve been some good shit. But I get why they chose for that not to be the core of the movie.

As it stands, the lore I'm most worried about them fudging is the Kadghar/Garona/Medivh plot, Garona herself, and the old Horde. Khadgar and Medivh are super important, so if that plot ends up minimized then a lot of potential sequel impact is lost.

I know that Garona being half draenei itself was a retcon, but I hope they don't scrub that out. She's probably the wonkiest looking part of the movie, she really should've had some prosthetics to look more half draenei (like in the comics). She just looks like a painted human, and it's pretty silly next to actual orcs.

And I really don't want them to shy away from making the old Horde really evil. Because they were. And even when Orgrim took over they were still pretty damn shitty. Speaking of Orgrim, he's barely in the trailers, but he shouldve been the most important character on the Horde side. Them choosing Durotan when he was a nonentity in the first war is absolutely baffling to me.

I'm still hyped as fuck, but I can't help but be worried about the lore. I've been all into the Warcraft lore for most of my life, as silly as it can be, so it means a lot to me.

Dicer

Banned
He chopped his orc dick right off, bro. He definitely squishes down in an unnatural way, though.

Now I'm definitely Team Horde, all humans are good for are turtling up and cheesing with mortars and Mass Teleport. And going right for the groin.

Have you ever mudslid under and orc whilst cutting into his taint? unless the answer is yes, then you can't speak from experience...

It looks fine.

CassSept

Full CG would have bombed but really, the humans just look completely out of place, all the time. Warcraft definitely has a cartoony over-the-top style and that's part of it's identity, doing a live action film that's true to the series is a fool's errand.

Still, day one I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom