• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Warcraft' Movie Post-Production |OT| 20 months of...hype? Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

I get the sense they'll make her half human for the movie tbh

Makes sense given that they're following Orcs & Humans and that it was a completely unnecessary retcon in the first place. Is there even going to be any major draenei presence in the movie besides hogger-level cameos?

Syf

Banned
Makes sense given that they're following Orcs & Humans and that it was a completely unnecessary retcon in the first place. Is there even going to be any major draenei presence in the movie besides hogger-level cameos?
Doubt draenei will even be mentioned unless this movie does well and gets a sequel

Woorloog

Banned

Actually, Garona being half-dranei half-orc was a necessary retcon since the time between opening the Dark Portal and First War was shortened to 1 year from 15. Can't have full-grown half-orc half-human in 1 year... so she could not be a half-human.

Of course, if the first retcon hadn't been made, her being half-draenei would not have been needed.

(Later, it was established there exists magic that can age a child and make them grow faster, the orc warlocks bolstered their numbers so before opening the Dark Portal. This could be used on Garona to make her full-grown half-human half-orc in a year or so. EDIT It seems she was aged with magic in canon as it is. Huh. This does make her nature as half-draenei really pointless.)

Arkeband

Banned
The one shot that looked off to me when I first watched the new spot was this:

O7oZjn9.png

If that's Khadgar, he looks like a goober.

Zackat

The one shot that looked off to me when I first watched the new spot was this:

O7oZjn9.png

If that's Khadgar, he looks like a goober.
Yeah his mustache isn't quite thick enough for that look lol. But he is supposed to be pretty young iirc.

Won't he be old khadgar by the end of the movie anyway? New actor possible for future installments.

Even with magical aging, for Garona to be a full adult by the time she meets Khadgar and Medivh is way too fast. With her being half draenei it ends up being at least a few years, maybe a lot more. Half draenei is a fine retcon, especially with how many shitty ones blizzard has made.

Durotan being a main character in the first war is way more egregious than Garona being half draenei

isny

napkin dispenser
I don't know how ya'll haven't realized that this Warcraft movie universe is it's own seperate universe. Dalaran is flying guys...that's a HUGE retcon. I doubt what happens in the films will ever count as official lore. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Loxley

I don't know how ya'll haven't realized that this Warcraft movie universe is it's own seperate universe. Dalaran is flying guys...that's a HUGE retcon. I doubt what happens in the films will ever count as official lore. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Yep, it's an adaption of the story of real-time strategy game - they were always going to take liberties with the canon to make it work for a two hour+ film. I'm not surprised in the slightest that they're altering some aspects (like Dalaran) to be a little more recognizable to the World of Warcraft audience as opposed to the long-time Warcraft hardcore.

isny

napkin dispenser
long-time Warcraft hardcore.

This is me. I have a book shelf full of signed Warcraft books and am super into the lore. It is what it is though. The film looks amazing and I'm going to go in with a smile on my face and enjoy it and geek out at the references just as much as every other person who has a deep connection with the franchise. Just enjoy it for what it is and be happy we didn't get this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub01mPDS-Z0

Loxley

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDHi-_KDuE3/?taken-by=warcraftmovie

New footage (with Gul'dan's back! :D)

I like that there's a bit of quirky humor in the mix.

Also,
that dagger is going to be the sweetest of irony.

Man, after 15 years of Jason Hayes and Russel Brower, rock music just does not fit the Warcraft aesthetic. When I think Warcraft, I think of stuff like Seasons of War.

The film's score is something I'm very interested to hear - especially if Ramin Djawadi uses themes from the games (which I'm sure he will in some capacity).

Man, after 15 years of Jason Hayes and Russel Brower, rock music just does not fit the Warcraft aesthetic. When I think Warcraft, I think of stuff like Seasons of War.

The film's score is something I'm very interested to hear - especially if Ramin Djawadi uses themes from the games (which I'm sure he will in some capacity).

I agree, I'm sort of worried about the film's score as well due to the music played in the official trailer. How can you have a Warcraft movie without Warcraft music?

For anyone thinking that the vfx possibly won't improve, most of the scenes in the tv spot are taken right out of that first trailer which came out in november and is most likely much older.
I'm not saying that the final trailer or release version won't have odd vfx/composition though, but it probably won't be this bad.
No, I am telling you that nothing will likely improve. I work in vfx and half my friends work at ILM, and most of them worked on Warcraft. It wrapped last April.

Still.. I think the vfx are pretty damn good. I just think that compositing wise there wasn't much more they could do... those greenscreen plates look ... not great.

Maximus.

The visual effects on their own are impressive. Mixed with the live actors and something just feels so off. Every trailer has had me feel this way. Still going to see the movie, as this is one of my favorite game franchises.

kanuuna

Have any of the trailers featured music from the actual soundtrack yet? Because I don't feel like I've heard anything that sounds like Warcraft in the stuff that's been put out.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
No, I am telling you that nothing will likely improve. I work in vfx and half my friends work at ILM, and most of them worked on Warcraft. It wrapped last April.

Well I said most of the scenes in the tv spot is taken right out of the trailer which is at least 5 months old now and that these old scenes will most likely improve.

/E/: Wait, last april? What are they doing then now?

CassSept

Well I said most of the scenes in the tv spot is taken right out of the trailer which is at least 5 months old now and that these old scenes will most likely improve.

Scheduling. The movie was slated for December 18 but everyone ran the fuck away when Disney announced TFA release date, Warcraft was moved to March and eventually to June. Likely because Universal doesn't have reliable blockbusters this year, that slot worked really well for them last year (it releases on the same weekend JW did) and nothing releases on June 17 (well, Finding Dory will be massive but it's different demographics). June release is part show of faith, part desperation.

Even the 5 month old trailer was all final shots.

It doesn't happen often but films do finish that early... gives them time to do large changes if needed and I think it makes sense given Blizzard's involvement.

I worked on Harry Potter 4-5 and they both delivered 6-8months before release.

Finaj

With so many people who had played this game, how is this thread not more crazy active?

(IMO) Many Warcraft players and movie-goers on this site are not convinced the film will be any good and the current run of trailers/marketing haven't done much convincing.

But I could be completely wrong in that assumption.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Even the 5 month old trailer was all final shots.

It doesn't happen often but films do finish that early... gives them time to do large changes if needed and I think it makes sense given Blizzard's involvement.

I worked on Harry Potter 4-5 and they both delivered 6-8months before release.

That's weird, I'd expect one would work on this to improve anything you can, but on the other hand this movie spend a lot of time in post production.

Loxley

With so many people who had played this game, how is this thread not more crazy active?

It's a video game movie, which means until proven otherwise most people will just think it's garbage by default. Pile on top of that the internet's inherent disdain for any movie that uses a lot of CGI, and I'm not suprised at all that there's not really any hype for the movie around here.

Maximus.

That's weird, I'd expect one would work on this to improve anything you can, but on the other hand this movie spend a lot of time in post production.

It's not weird. Everything costs money. Having such a long post production period would make the cost of the movie to go up. These people have a timeframe and have to deliver the best product possible within a given timeframe/budget.

Loxley

Reposting Gul'dan for new page - he looks great.

OasRiBF.jpg

For comparison's sake, here's Gul'dan in the cinematic for Warlords of Draenor:

KpKddNA.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Didn't Dalaran become a flying city during WoW, which is years later after the events of the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom