• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontovik

Banned
For those who've seen and did not like it, is there tons of cringe-worthy and eye-rolling moments in which the 'cheese' becomes unbearable?

Skux

Why did you expect humor? It's a fantasy action, not a comedy. Having forced humour would have made it feel terrible in my opinion, instead what we have is a great movie that brings to life the world that I spent countless hours exploring in. Can't argue with that.

You're joking right? The Warcraft games are filled with charm and wit. These are games where two-headed ogres argue with each other, where magic spells transform raging demons into docile sheep, and where units say silly things if you pester them with clicks.

If only the film took a fraction of that in its adaptation to the screen.

Laieon

If there's a next one, it should have gnomes and goblins. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm looking forward to it regardless of what the critics are saying. One of the biggest complaints I'm seeing is that people are acting like it's a generic fantasy movie and for some reason putting it up against Lord of the Rings. I think introducing some of the movie steam punk aspects of Azeroth would be good for differentiating it from other fantasy movies.

Arex

Eh I thought there are enough humours in the movie. Imo there's only so much you can cram into it before it becomes a joke. I don't want it to become another marvel movie.

For those who've seen and did not like it, is there tons of cringe-worthy and eye-rolling moments in which the 'cheese' becomes unbearable?

No. But it's full of really bad acting from the human side. Like really awful, not even funny good. This is no TMNT.

It's better than BvS, I'll give it that.

EDIT: Oh, unbearable. I read your post wrong. Yeah, the whole movie is unbearable. It's not good cheese. Human actors are horrible.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Ran out of budget apparently. $160 million is actually pretty cheap for a movie of this scale (for comparison, the Hobbit films had a budget of 200-250 million).

However, there is a lot of finished footage we've seen in tv spots/trailers that weren't in the film, apparently.

IIRC the 40 minutes was mostly cut due to the length (as the studio didn't want another 3 hour long movie) and some CGI scenes couldn't be finished because they ran out of budget.

Everyone i went with (including myself) was a bit dissapointed to learn the movie was "just" two hours. It's a short fantasy movie in todays world where most movies of this type and budget are 2hours 30minutes at least. It's too bad if they cut it due to length. It does however, give me a bit more hope to see an extended edition :p

Dead

well not really...yet
Since this seems to be coming up a bit, In this interview Jones confirms there is an extended edition, saying audiences won't have to wait to find an answer regarding...whatever it is they are talking about:

https://youtu.be/3ngojYD4L3I?t=131

"To be honest, it won't take a sequel. It's in the extended edition, and it was in the cut until we got closer to the film coming out,

But then on the same day tweeted:

there will be no extended cut unless the theatrical does well. That is just the way of things.

https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/737039177456324608

So who knows. Seems like Jones has an extended cut ready, but Legendary haven't made plans yet until they see numbers.

Jokab

Yeah I definitely thought so. I can't pinpoint any of them off the top of my head, but there were for sure times when I thought "really...?"

Moff

nl9nwo1tb32x.png

give us that Arthas, come on. but this time with the original music from the game. Arthas my son is just too good to not use.

deleted

I hope this turns out alright financially - I just wanna see that Directors Cut and I want this to be a/the new fantasy movie franchise. So much potential...

But I guess it's nice to want things. What does it need to make to become 'successful'? 400m internationally?

Wasn't this thing blowing up in China?

Everyone i went with (including myself) was a bit dissapointed to learn the movie was "just" two hours. It's a short fantasy movie in todays world where most movies of this type and budget are 2hours 30minutes at least. It's too bad if they cut it due to length. It does however, give me a bit more hope to see an extended edition :p

Yeah, another 30 minutes could have solved the pacing issues, maybe.

Chucker

Yeah I definitely thought so. I can't pinpoint any of them off the top of my head, but there were for sure times when I thought "really...?"

The only one that sticks out for me is FOR AZEROTH! in the lightning field.

Some of you Junior Film Critics are exaggerating how bad this was. It wasn't great, but it wasn't the curdled milk left out in the sun for 2 weeks like you're making it out to be.

Chucker

At best, the next movie should:
State that years have passed, the Orcs and Humans have been fighting the whole time, then cut to a grown Thrall escaping Durnholde and journey to Alterac and find his clan, have a montage of shaman training (don't do this). Found Orgimmar, have Medivh not really be dead, or communicate to him in dreams, warn of the burning Legion, team up with Jaina and defeat the Burning Legion...
I guess for the Humans show Varian get kidnapped and become Lo'Gosh? I don't know if that lines up, but if Varian was a kid while Thrall was a baby in the movie universe it should?

That might be too much for one movie though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
At best, the next movie should:
State that years have passed, the Orcs and Humans have been fighting the whole time, then cut to a grown Thrall escaping Durnholde and journey to Alterac and find his clan, have a montage of shaman training (don't do this). Found Orgimmar, have Medivh not really be dead, or communicate to him in dreams, warn of the burning Legion, team up with Jaina and defeat the Burning Legion...

That might be too much for one movie though.

If they do end up making a trilogy, I'm curious if they will bother with the "through the dark portal" stuff from the Warcraft 2 expansion at all, or if they will just go from Humans beating the Orcs, destroying the portal, then time jumping 20 years or whatever for Thrall and Arthas. It seems like it would be hard to fit in.

I could see a 2nd movie starting somewhat towards the end of the 2nd war, having a time-jump near the middle of the film, and ending with the Orcs in Kalimdor after meeting the Trolls and Tauren. That way the third movie will have most of the set up done for the the Warcraft 3 story, and only have to introduce night elves as the new major players.

Smoolio

I've wanted to see the battle of black rock mountain on the big screen for 20 years, ever since I had to get my mum to type "It is a good day to die" because I was too slow at typing to save
Lothar

Twookie

lets hope duncan doesn't have to cut out so much in the next movie so the pacing won't be as terrible as it was

Jokab

Some of you Junior Film Critics are exaggerating how bad this was. It wasn't great, but it wasn't the curdled milk left out in the sun for 2 weeks like you're making it out to be.

I'm a "junior film critic" for expressing my disappointment in the movie? Whatever dude. I really like Warcraft but for me this movie was below average. The Durotar dissection on the previous page hasn't had any proper retorts.

Hagi

This was amazing, absolutely surprised the hell out if me. Really didn't expect to like it so much. Damn the feels for these Orcs, really appreciate that everything isn't so black and white. Hopefully it does well enough for a sequel because I'll be gutted if we don't get one.

Durotan is such a great character. As someone who went in with next to zero Warcraft experience I'm on the train now.

FeD.nL

I'm a "junior film critic" for expressing my disappointment in the movie? Whatever dude. I really like Warcraft but for me this movie was below average. The Durotar dissection on the previous page hasn't had any proper retorts.

While I agree that Durotan could have used more screen time I also pointed out to the original poster that his choice isn't some random thing that happens:

Durotan experiences first hand what Fel energy does to a body when Medivh kills all the fel infused orcs during the ambush. That is what sets him off to rebel against Gul'dan. It's even right there for the viewer to see.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
There's a huge anti-climax coming, let's say they follow Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne for the next two movies. That's basicly too many loose threads to leave an audience hanging even if it leads perfectly into "Go play World of Wacraft". I kind of wish them to do four movies:

1. Reign of Chaos
  2. The Frozen Throne
  3. The Burning Crusade
  4. Wrath of the Lich King

That way the storyline is resolved and the movie going audience is left feeling satisfied.

Movie was awful. I had hopes just because I play WoW but this isn't good stuff. If this is the future of Warcraft movies then please stop now.

strafer

There's a huge anti-climax coming, let's say they follow Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne for the next two movies. That's basicly too many loose threads to leave an audience hanging even if it leads perfectly into "Go play World of Wacraft". I kind of wish them to do four movies:

1. Reign of Chaos
  2. The Frozen Throne
  3. The Burning Crusade

That way the storyline is resolved and the movie going audience is left feeling satisfied.

Man Lick King will be a huge undertaking.

They must be careful not to draw similarties to the witch king from lord of the rings.

J-Fr

I watched the French version last week. I'm curious to compare this with the original version, I didn't find the acting cheesy. (Not anymore cheesy than the Warcraft lore?)
This might be the best video game adaptation in my opinion. I really liked the movie, (the main flaw was to put a Meeting Stone inside Elwynn Forest..
there's no Dungeon in Elwynn right? Horde player here!
).
It's a real shame they had to cut down nearly one third of the film, the pacing seems to be really affected.

strafer

I watched the French version last week. I'm curious to compare this with the original version, I didn't find the acting cheesy. (Not anymore cheesy than the Warcraft lore?)
This might be the best video game adaptation in my opinion. I really liked the movie, (the main flaw was to put a Meeting Stone inside Elwynn Forest..
there's no Dungeon in Elwynn right? Horde player here!
).
It's a real shame they had to cut down nearly one third of the film, the pacing seems to be really affected.

Well, pre-wow there might have been.

FeD.nL

1. Reign of Chaos
  2. The Frozen Throne
  3. The Burning Crusade

Well Duncan Jones wants to focus on giving the Orcs a home as his trilogy, so basically Thrall's side of the story. In the Collider interview he said:

The thing is that Warcraft has so much story available to it. For the fans, there are some key stories they really want to see on screen. I won’t be doing those. But, what I really want to get right is that I want to set the foundation for any other Warcraft stuff that happens after this. My trilogy has a pretty clean and useful set-up. The orcs have lost their own world. Durotan has led the Frostwolf clan to a place of safety, but he still doesn’t have a home. By the end of the trilogy, I would hope that we’ve established where the new orc home is.

If he stays on board I think he will focus on Thrall's ascend to Warchief. Ending it with the founding of DurotarOrgrimmar.

strafer

What a want to see on the big screen is Orgrimmar, Undercity and Elf and Undead Sylvanas.

Also, Cairne and Thunder Bluff.

Fuck..so much stuff I want to see.

Chucker

While I agree that Durotan could have used more screen time I also pointed out to the original poster that his choice isn't some random thing that happens:

Durotan experiences first hand what Fel energy does to a body when Medivh kills all the fel infused orcs during the ambush. That is what sets him off to rebel against Gul'dan. It's even right there for the viewer to see.

First.

FeD nL explains the retort as well as I could. Dude literally says (paraphrasing)
Hey, you know when Gul'Dan started messing with Fel energy our lands started dying? That's strange, and that human mage really messed everybody up who had been infused. Oh also, look at the land he's been using versus the lush forests past the entrance to the valley we're in.

My only concern is how this could ever be fit into three movies. Even if you cut the Burning Legion stuff completely (which could be done, though I don't know how much is in this movie), the Lich Ling will simply take too long and it's easily the most popular storyline.

It needs four movies and could be pretty amazing.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

This.

Now, I do work for Blizzard, so this is just my opinion, but in no way does this movie deserve the low score it's getting from critics. I'm not a huge WoW lore nerd, and went in expecting not to like the film. I quite enjoyed it! Perfect? No. But its flaws have been wildly exaggerated.

strafer

scene that gave me literal happyness feels was

I Am Durotan...Son of Garad...Chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan!

To hear those fuckings words on the big screen........

GIF-cry-crying-Doctor-Who-sad-sob-sobbing-tears-Wilfred-Mott-GIF.gif

This.

Now, I do work for Blizzard, so this is just my opinion, but in no way does this movie deserve the low score it's getting from critics. I'm not a huge WoW lore nerd, and went in expecting not to like the film. I quite enjoyed it! Perfect? No. But its flaws have been wildly exaggerated.

Heh, told you Blizzard was reading this forum.

Loxley

My only concern is how this could ever be fit into three movies. Even if you cut the Burning Legion stuff completely (which could be done, though I don't know how much is in this movie), the Lich Ling will simply take too long and it's easily the most popular storyline.

Jones says he has already outlined the remaining two films he'd do if he's able to. So I guess there's already a plan in place. He hasn't said whether or not they involve Arthas or the events of Warcraft 3, but it very well could.

TDLink

They want to do a lot more than 3 Warcraft movies. Duncan Jones wants to do a trilogy PRIOR to Arthas (ie, Warcraft 1 + 2) and then hand it off to someone else.

So basically 3 movies for Warcraft 1 and 2. Then Warcraft 3 is probably another trilogy on its own. That's 6 movies. Then each WoW phase is basically a movie of its own potentially as well.

Warcraft, ideally, isn't just going to be a trilogy. It's the start of a long running series of films. Right now the structure is there for them to clearly do 13 movies. The only way I see this really getting compressed is if Warcraft 3 is 2 films instead of 3. That's about it.
  1. Warcraft
  2. Warcraft 2
  3. Warcraft 2 Part 2
  4. Warcraft 3
  5. Warcraft 3 Part 2
  6. Warcraft 3 Part 3
  7. World of Warcraft
  8. Burning Crusade
  9. Wrath of the Lich King
  10. Cataclysm
  11. Mists of Pandaria
  12. Warlords of Draenor
  13. Legion
Jones says he has already outlined the remaining two films he'd do if he's able to. So I guess there's already a plan in place. He hasn't said whether or not they involve Arthas or the events of Warcraft 3, but it very well could.

He has said he has a trilogy planned out but doesn't want to do Arthas' story. He wants to see that as a fan. That means the trilogy is comprised of the first game, the second game, and the second game's expansion.

strafer

They want to do a lot more than 3 Warcraft movies. Duncan Jones wants to do a trilogy PRIOR to Arthas (ie, Warcraft 1 + 2) and then hand it off to someone else.

So basically 3 movies for Warcraft 1 and 2. Then Warcraft 3 is probably another trilogy on its own. That's 6 movies. Then each WoW phase is basically a movie of its own potentially as well.

Warcraft, ideally, isn't just going to be a trilogy. It's the start of a long running series of films. Right now the structure is there for them to clearly do 13 movies. The only way I see this really getting compressed is if Warcraft 3 is 2 films instead of 3. That's about it.
  1. Warcraft
  2. Warcraft 2
  3. Warcraft 2 Part 2
  4. Warcraft 3
  5. Warcraft 3 Part 2
  6. Warcraft 3 Part 3
  7. World of Warcraft
  8. Burning Crusade
  9. Wrath of the Lich King
  10. Cataclysm
  11. Mists of Pandaria
  12. Warlords of Draenor
  13. Legion

Man, if they succeed in making 13 Warcraft movies I will be really happy.

I just hope I'm alive by the 13th as these movies is probably going to take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom