• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finaika

scene that gave me literal happyness feels was

I Am Durotan...Son of Garad...Chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan!

To hear those fuckings words on the big screen........

GIF-cry-crying-Doctor-Who-sad-sob-sobbing-tears-Wilfred-Mott-GIF.gif

Is that Chris Metzen?

Hagi

scene that gave me literal happyness feels was

I Am Durotan...Son of Garad...Chieftain of the Frostwolf Clan!

To hear those fuckings words on the big screen........

GIF-cry-crying-Doctor-Who-sad-sob-sobbing-tears-Wilfred-Mott-GIF.gif

Durotan was the highlight of the movie for me, actually all the Orcs were. I don't think I've been in awe of CG characters this much since Gollum.

strafer

Durotan was the highlight of the movie for me, actually all the Orcs were. I don't think I've been in awe of CG characters this much since Gollum.

While I didn't dislike the humans, this movie should have been Orcs only. All the different Orc clans and have the second movie have humans.

TDLink

Man, if they succeed in making 13 Warcraft movies I will be really happy.

I just hope I'm alive by the 13th as these movies is probably going to take a while.

It really depends on how well this first movie does and how fast they want to move on everything. Jones apparently already has the next two films for this first trilogy outlined. Maybe he has some of the script done too, who knows. He's almost done with Mute so it's not impossible that he goes from that into production on Warcraft 2. I think the best case scenario would be a film every two years. No way the series gets annualized like what's happening with other franchises.

Loxley

Man, if they succeed in making 13 Warcraft movies I will be really happy.

I just hope I'm alive by the 13th as these movies is probably going to take a while.

I could see Warcraft going to the way of the Fast & Furious franchise or (blech) the Resident Evil films; keep the budget hovering around the same number for each film with incremental increases, and get a solid return each time around.

Hagi

While I didn't dislike the humans, this movie should have been Orcs only. All the different Orc clans and have the second movie have humans.

I didn't dislike them either especially Lothar. I would've liked to see everything leading up to them coming to Azeroth as well but man that opening scene was cool as hell.

strafer

I could see Warcraft going to the way of the Fast & Furious franchise or (blech) the Resident Evil films; keep the budget hovering around the same number for each film with incremental increases, and get a solid return each time around.

God, don't mention the Resident Evil movies. This movie alone is better than all the RE movies.

The Fast series though, I like that.

2 Orc 2 Humans.

Houndi101

I thoroughly enjoyed the film and so did everyone I saw the movie with.
Even the friend whos only knowledge of the universe is Hearthstone.
The changes didn't mind me and actually felt deserved, I do not understand where the 1/5 reviews and comparing this to honestly bad movies with no trade craft are coming from.

Edit. And the ending didn't feel cheap at all, I'll be there for the sequel opening night, even if it means travelling to China!

Grandi

Just came back from seeing it here in Finland. I enjoyed it. The action scenes were definitely the highlight but the pacing was all over the place. It was clear that some drastic cuts were made, and whoever forced that to be done should be fired. The movie really suffers for it. I'm glad that it's doing really well in China and elsewhere, because I want sequels so we can see the good bits of Warcraft lore on the big screen.

I played WoW on and off for about four to five years, mostly during vanilla and TBC. The last time I played WoW was with a free period of MoP. Haven't touched WoD. So I guess it's easier for me to like the movie, compared to someone who knows nothing about Warcraft.

Also, it was odd that the only "classes" in the movie were warrior (Lothar and others), mage (Khadgar/Medihv/Kirin Tor), rogue (Garona), hunter (some random orc), and warlock (Gul'dan). Where were all the Alliance priests and paladins?

Horde > Alliance btw. Lok'tar ogar!

Chucker

Just came back from seeing it here in Finland. I enjoyed it. The action scenes were definitely the highlight but the pacing was all over the place. It was clear that some drastic cuts were made, and whoever forced that to be done should be fired. The movie really suffers for it. I'm glad that it's doing really well in China and elsewhere, because I want sequels so we can see the good bits of Warcraft lore on the big screen.

I played WoW on and off for about four to five years, mostly during vanilla and TBC. The last time I played WoW was with a free period of MoP. Haven't touched WoD. So I guess it's easier for me to like the movie, compared to someone who knows nothing about Warcraft.

Also, it was odd that the only "classes" in the movie were warrior (Lothar and others), mage (Khadgar/Medihv/Kirin Tor), rogue (Garona), hunter (some random orc), and warlock (Gul'dan). Where were all the Alliance priests and paladins?

Horde > Alliance btw. Lok'tar ogar!

Paladins don't show up until the 2nd war. Uther along with Archbiship Faol decided that Clerics shouldn't be fighting the Orcs, and that knights should wield the faith.

Priests are a good question though.

sqwarlock

This.

Now, I do work for Blizzard, so this is just my opinion, but in no way does this movie deserve the low score it's getting from critics. I'm not a huge WoW lore nerd, and went in expecting not to like the film. I quite enjoyed it! Perfect? No. But its flaws have been wildly exaggerated.

I'm like Chmp here, except I'm a HUGE WoW lore nerd. This movie far exceeded my admittedly low expectations. It's a lot of fun, the fanservice is great while not being super obvious most of the time, and it definitely has me frothing for Warcraft 2.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
They want to do a lot more than 3 Warcraft movies. Duncan Jones wants to do a trilogy PRIOR to Arthas (ie, Warcraft 1 + 2) and then hand it off to someone else.

So basically 3 movies for Warcraft 1 and 2. Then Warcraft 3 is probably another trilogy on its own. That's 6 movies. Then each WoW phase is basically a movie of its own potentially as well.

Warcraft, ideally, isn't just going to be a trilogy. It's the start of a long running series of films. Right now the structure is there for them to clearly do 13 movies. The only way I see this really getting compressed is if Warcraft 3 is 2 films instead of 3. That's about it.
  1. Warcraft
  2. Warcraft 2
  3. Warcraft 2 Part 2
  4. Warcraft 3
  5. Warcraft 3 Part 2
  6. Warcraft 3 Part 3
  7. World of Warcraft
  8. Burning Crusade
  9. Wrath of the Lich King
  10. Cataclysm
  11. Mists of Pandaria
  12. Warlords of Draenor
  13. Legion

He has said he has a trilogy planned out but doesn't want to do Arthas' story. He wants to see that as a fan. That means the trilogy is comprised of the first game, the second game, and the second game's expansion.

Man I can't imagine any reality in which Warcraft gets a 13-film series, lol. Even if such a thing were possible, I don't really see the point for continuing on after the 6th film, as that would be the end of the actual self-contained narrative. How do you make a movie out of an MMO? Who is the protagonist?

SArcher

Banned
So am I understanding it right that Paula Patton's character is a half-orc-half human? In that case did she have an orc mother and a human father? Because I can't see that working out the other way around due to...size issues.

strafer

So am I understanding it right that Paula Patton's character is a half-orc-half human? In that case did she have an orc mother and a human father? Because I can't see that working out the other way around due to...size issues.

in this universe. In WoW she's half orc half draeni

Grandi

It's not explicitly said that she is a human/orc hybrid. Only the half orc part is certain.
Also:
At the beginning of the movie we see captive draenei in a cage. One of them grabs Garona by the hand and begs her for help and she understands them. Gul'dan doesn't. Which might as well imply that she is half orc/half draenei in the movie universe too.

Zackat

Man I can't imagine any reality in which Warcraft gets a 13-film series, lol. Even if such a thing were possible, I don't really see the point for continuing on after the 6th film, as that would be the end of the actual self-contained narrative. How do you make a movie out of an MMO? Who is the protagonist?
eNRWzOh.gif

(Penis) size issue remains, no?
Haha. Come on.

TDLink

Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King especially tie up plot threads from the RTS games so it's pretty easy to see how they especially could be made films in a continual series.

For Burning Crusade I'm not sure, but the great thing is the film adaptations don't have to be 1:1 as the games. They can pick a few different characters to elevate to protagonist level but obviously Illidan, Vashj, and Kael'thas would play a major role...all who assuredly would be established in prior films.

Bolvar would absolutely make sense as a protagonist for Wrath and it's a great way to show what happens with Arthas' character post-WC3.

Cataclysm is more of its own story rather than tying up older threads but it's a very basic "world is at stake with a big evil Dragon" tale. The expansions (and stories) got weaker after Wrath but for films they can still figure out ways to adapt them if we get that far and the series continues to be popular.

Tillbo

So...looking at Box Office Figures it appears that the movie has now made $168.6 million from a budget of $160 million and has only been out for a week and has yet to even launch in the US.

Does this mean that sequels are pretty much a given now?

strafer

semi off topic, does anyone else have or had trouble installing The Frozen Throne? RoC went without problems but somehow Frozen didn't wanna work.

I downloaded it as usual from my battle.net account. Then when I try to install it nothing happens, I click install and the admin window pops up, I choose yes but then nothing happens.

Damn, I wish they would add it to the launcher already.

TDLink

So...looking at Box Office Figures it appears that the movie has now made $168.6 million from a budget of $160 million and has only been out for a week and has yet to even launch in the US.

Does this mean that sequels are pretty much a given now?

That's not counting the marketing budget but it's looking pretty positive.

Tillbo

That's not counting the marketing budget but it's looking pretty positive.

Yeah....I wondered at what point does a film actually become profitable? Does the Box Office equal profit or just revenue? Also, I wonder what value merchandising and Blu-Ray/DVD sales bring in relative to the theatre release?

I guess if it has recouped its budget in a week then a sequel is now quite likely

Yeah....I wondered at what point does a film actually become profitable? Does the Box Office equal profit or just revenue? Also, I wonder what value merchandising and Blu-Ray/DVD sales bring in relative to the theatre release?

I guess if it has recouped its budget in a week then a sequel is now quite likely
Generally a movie has to make 2 times its production back to become profitable. That's what I've read anyhow.

Tom_Cody

I'm thinking about seeing this tomorrow but I don't want to wade too deeply into reviews for fear of getting spoiled.

What is the general GAF consensus so far? From the bit that I've scanned the thread I get the sense that a lot of people like it and that its worst offenses merely relate to its adherence to genre tropes.

What are are the highest highs and the lowest lows? This looks very appealing to me and I haven't seen any strong arguments that it's actually bad.
(FYI, I haven't played any of the games)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ya know, it's definitely a shame Blizz couldn't get their act in gear to have Warcraft 1 and 2 remasters/remakes ready in time for the movie release. It certainly would have been the prime time to do it, and it's something they have been talking about doing or a while now.

strafer

Ya know, it's definitely a shame Blizz couldn't get their act in gear to have Warcraft 1 and 2 remasters/remakes ready in time for the movie release. It certainly would have been the prime time to do it, and it's something they have been talking about doing or a while now.

There is always Blizzcon.

Tillbo

I agree, I'd have thought Blizzard would have done a lot more to cross-promote WOW and the movie together....seems like a missed opportunity.

As far as the movie goes, as a big Warcraft fan, I really loved it! I'm not so sure that people unfamiliar with Warcraft would get so much out of it though and the poor reviews may be a reflection on this.

strafer

I agree, I'd have thought Blizzard would have done a lot more to cross-promote WOW and the movie together....seems like a missed opportunity.

As far as the movie goes, as a big Warcraft fan, I really loved it! I'm not so sure that people unfamiliar with Warcraft would get so much out of it though and the poor reviews may be a reflection on this.

the critics were always going to hate this movie.

Let's not kid ourselves. This movie was made by a fan of the world and the games for the fans of the world and games. Non gamers will not appreciate it.

kanuuna

I saw this just now. I wasn't blown away, but I didn't dislike it either. Some fan service was a little on the nose
I felt like Kargath and Grommash were everywhere in this film
for my liking, and some of the stuff I felt like they could've left in the dust with this cut of the film (
Ironforge, which was on for like two minutes and only served to introduce the audience to the 'Boomstick', and Dalaran and whatever the hell that cube thing was about - I actually really disliked the whole Medivh / Sargeras / whatever sub-plot, especially when the editing cut back and forth between the battle going on in Black Morass(?) - it felt like a distraction and I thought they could've just built up to the battle better similar to LoTR
Also the Varian name drop just seemed out of place
). Action was good, too,
though the duels (for as many as they had)
weren't very exciting in my opinion. I imagine an extended version with all the pieces in place might have helped all of those make better sense. Other than that, to my mind the CG was very impressive overall (I kind of wish I had gone for a 3D showing), though a couple of shots towards the end (which I look forward to seeing in Blu-ray), looked a bit off to me. Music was good, though not something that immediately transported me to the world of that IP. Humor was good in spots, too.

As for the ending, I thought it was a little abrupt.
Also the fishing rod after end title card felt like the only genuine easter egg I could spot the first time through. Murloc thing doesn't count really when they practically shove it in your face.

On one last note, audience seemed pretty amused by the localization of some of the locales and character names in the subtitles, myself included.

I hope the home media release gets an extended edition. If nothing else, a good commentary track - should be interesting.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is one of the scenes (shown in a trailer) that was cut from the movie.
(Orcs charging in what looks like Dun Morogh at 1:26)

Finaj

Finally saw it. I enjoyed it, but it did have some glaring issues.

+Effect work from ILM was top notch. The Orcs were visually perfect, as were other creatures like gryphons and Dwarves. The environments were just as I imagined them.

+The magic felt unique, powerful and was visually spectacular.

+All the Orc characters were represented well. Durotan and Garona were given decent development, and Gul'dan was perfectly manipulative and vile. Blackhand's loyalty to the old ways made him pretty interesting and Orgrim had some enjoyable inner turmoil.

+ I did like the bickering between Lothar and Khadgar as well as most of the humor,
"I don't know. It's never done that before."

+ I liked that the film was willing to take risks with its characters.

+ Starting off the film with

- The editing in the film was some of the worst I've ever seen. Some scenes looked like they just stopped and a new one began without finishing the previous scene. Given how much footage was cut, I can't really blame Jones on this, though.

-It felt -really- rushed. All the characters and the universe they inhabited were introduced in basically 20 minutes. Again, a fault to the cut footage.

-As a result, many characters come off as one-dimentional because there just wasn't enough time given to develop them properly. There are also a lot of moments that would have better payoff if I got more emotionally invested in the characters.

-I felt Dominic Cooper as King Llane was miscast. He just couldn't bring the chops necessary for that role.

I have a feeling a director's cut would fix a couple of these issues.

MattyG

Banned
Is there stuff about the Warcraft universe I should know before I see this? I've only played a tiny bit of WoW, so I'm basically going in blind.

Fularu

Banned
This.

Now, I do work for Blizzard, so this is just my opinion, but in no way does this movie deserve the low score it's getting from critics. I'm not a huge WoW lore nerd, and went in expecting not to like the film. I quite enjoyed it! Perfect? No. But its flaws have been wildly exaggerated.

I agree!

pls flag me for beta
I kid...
Do I?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Is there stuff about the Warcraft universe I should know before I see this? I've only played a tiny bit of WoW, so I'm basically going in blind.

Nah you'll be fine. Its a good fantasy action movie and despite some issues with scene cutting that an extended edition will fix the overall progression is quite decent. My girlfriend came out understanding what had happened in the movie and who the key characters were without ever touching WoW, Warcraft or anything Blizzard.

A studio isn't going to make a $160,000,000 film and hope that the masses research the lore of Warcraft before driving to the theater.

CazTGG

Just got back from seeing it. The special effects are indeed amazing, almost worth the ticket price alone for seeing them were the overall film not a bore. Duncan Jones is a talented director but it felt like someone hit the off switch since the human characters feel lost half of the time and completely disinterested the other half. Honestly, the film might've been better if they focused more on the orcs than the largely boring and forgettable humans (if you're not familiar with the series or taking notes like I was for my review of the film, you'll likely forget about half of them, let alone that the main one has a son though at least the latter is framed in such a way that you get the basic "this person means something to this character", even if you don't care that
they died
because they had barely had any screentime) or setting up the plot for the sequel which, if the Chinese box office or amount of people who saw it with me are any indication, will be made despite the overall film never amounting to be the Lord of the Rings film it so desperately wants to be. There are some positives in addition to the aforementioned effects like a good dose of humor that, while it doesn't always get a laugh, injects a bit of life into a film that feels like it's gasping for air. It's not the worst film i've seen all year nor is it offensively bad, it's just not very interesting. Review incoming, but for now i'd recommend seeing The Nice Guys over this if you'd want a good laugh.

Valhelm

contribute something
Warcraft goes to show that high fantasy can actually be much, much worse than the Hobbit films.

This was probably the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters. Every scene was bad. The script, the delivery, the accents, and the art design all seemed out of place and cheesy. I've got no idea how so many people approved of this every step of the way. A couple scenes were sort of fun, but seemed lower quality than your average Warcraft cutscene. The juxtaposition between the orcs and humans felt like Roger Rabbit without the charm. How could these green monstrosities be so much less realistic than the Na'vi seven years ago?

Worst part? The fucking Hulk hands

Oxn

Finally saw it. I enjoyed it, but it did have some glaring issues.

+Effect work from ILM was top notch. The Orcs were visually perfect, as were other creatures like gryphons and Dwarves. The environments were just as I imagined them.

+The magic felt unique, powerful and was visually spectacular.

+All the Orc characters were represented well. Durotan and Garona were given decent development, and Gul'dan was perfectly manipulative and vile. Blackhand's loyalty to the old ways made him pretty interesting and Orgrim had some enjoyable inner turmoil.

+ I did like the bickering between Lothar and Khadgar as well as most of the humor,
"I don't know. It's never done that before."

+ I liked that the film was willing to take risks with its characters.

+ Starting off the film with

- The editing in the film was some of the worst I've ever seen. Some scenes looked like they just stopped and a new one began without finishing the previous scene. Given how much footage was cut, I can't really blame Jones on this, though.

-It felt -really- rushed. All the characters and the universe they inhabited were introduced in basically 20 minutes. Again, a fault to the cut footage.

-As a result, many characters come off as one-dimentional because there just wasn't enough time given to develop them properly. There are also a lot of moments that would have better payoff if I got more emotionally invested in the characters.

-I felt Dominic Cooper as King Llane was miscast. He just couldn't bring the chops necessary for that role.

I have a feeling a director's cut would fix a couple of these issues.

Pretty much how i felt, but more negative towards it.

Wanted to like it, but it feel flat for me.

Arkeband

Banned
My brother just saw it in China and said that outside of its CGI, anything live-action was total dogshit.

He said the worst scene was Khadgar writing fake language in a script for like a minute straight, and then he mutters "interesting..." and it fades to black very slowly, and this was basically the kind of disjointed, fan-film style directing for most of the movie.

Also, all of the blood and stuff was brightly colored purple or something, possibly Chinese censorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom