• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I just did. They look ugly and are too long. They're snorefests. I know I'm almost alone with this opinion, but I don't care. I didn't like the books either. And what makes it even funnier is the fact that I enjoyed Dragonlance more than LotR. Sue me. :)

JtWSyBk.gif

sobaka770

Banned
I just did. They look ugly and are too long. They're snorefests. I know I'm almost alone with this opinion, but I don't care. I didn't like the books either. And what makes it even funnier is the fact that I enjoyed Dragonlance more than LotR. Sue me. :)

Wow, OK, that's harsh.

That being said, I think it's unfair to compare the two and does a disservice to Warcraft. One is based on the well-established novel with existing deep characters for one, and second, Warcraft has a very different feel, it's not your lighthearted adventure movie.

FeD.nL

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I know money is king when it comes to this stuff, so hopefully the negative reviews (especially some of the seemingly silly hyperbolic ones) don't impact the sequel potential if the film makes a tidy profit. I know It's looking like China is poised to make the film do just fine financially on its own, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Legendary decide to just one and done it if they think the interest for more isn't high.

FeD.nL

I know money is king when it comes to this stuff, so hopefully the negative reviews (especially some of the seemingly silly hyperbolic ones) don't impact the sequel potential if the film makes a tidy profit. I know It's looking like China is poised to make the film do just fine financially on its own, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Legendary decide to just one and done it if they think the interest for more isn't high.

Transformers does just fine as a franchise even though it gets shit on by the press.

Reading up on the articles it really seems that a sequel is looking more and more likely. Duncan has already said that he hopes that sequel will be announced soon, and since he laid all the groundwork in this film he really can shoot a more focussed sequel.

With these numbers Universal will definitely come out with a profit. And it looks like legendary will too because of all the licensing/marketing deals.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Transformers does just fine as a franchise even though it gets shit on by the press.

Reading up on the articles it really seems that a sequel is looking more and more likely. Duncan has already said that he hopes that sequel will be announced soon, and since he laid all the groundwork in this film he really can shoot a more focussed sequel.

With these numbers Universal will definitely come out with a profit. And it looks like legendary will too because of all the licensing/marketing deals.

That's good news. Having not seen the movie (but having what I hope is a pretty fair/unbiased impression of it), I can definitely see how a sequel can capitalize off of the positives of the movie and avoid many of the problems. A cleaner, more focused movie that doesn't have to establish a whole word with scenes in different locations every 15 seconds. Also, the plot itself would likely be more straightforward assuming it's more or less going the Warcraft 2 route.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Oh wow, I just saw that it got to 17% on RT, that's fucking sad. I hope it still does well, though, Duncan is a good dude.

Wow, OK, that's harsh.

That being said, I think it's unfair to compare the two and does a disservice to Warcraft. One is based on the well-established novel with existing deep characters for one, and second, Warcraft has a very different feel, it's not your lighthearted adventure movie.

Yeah, Warcraft is more action heavy, but still they feel quite the same. Storywise. We have this common enemy, then different camps who are fighting each other, one true hero and the posse. We go here and there, we fight, we laugh, we have jolly good ol' time and then we face the enemy. The story is not dissappointing, it's just typical and generic one. It's the one we've seen countless times, it's the one we read from LotR. It is what it is.

I'm mostly disappointed because they didn't cut the movie in two. It's just so full. It didn't have mellow points, and when it did, they were brief. Warcraft has too much material for its own good. At least LotR was cut in three and it was still just too goddamn long.

And I loved the goddamn Orcs! My people!

Armadilo

Banned
Tmobile is giving all its customers a free ticket to the movie, will these tickets be counted for ? the first week sales / attendance ?

sobaka770

Banned
Yeah, Warcraft is more action heavy, but still they feel quite the same. Storywise. We have this common enemy, then different camps who are fighting each other, one true hero and the posse. We go here and there, we fight, we laugh, we have jolly good ol' time and then we face the enemy. The story is not dissappointing, it's just typical and generic one. It's the one we've seen countless times, it's the one we read from LotR. It is what it is.

I'm mostly disappointed because they didn't cut the movie in two. It's just so full. It didn't have mellow points, and when it did, they were brief. Warcraft has too much material for its own good. At least LotR was cut in three and it was still just too goddamn long.

And I loved the goddamn Orcs! My people!

I actually disagree. I thought Warcraft was not a very funny movie, not a lot of jokes in there. It was also much more brutal and brroding that LotR. I wouldn't even classify it as an adventure movie much, there's mostly war and scheming in this one. I think you oversimplify the plot of both movies to make them look alike.

Just saw it last night.. I finally know why the user ratings are so high on imdb when the metascore is so low. The movie was great ! Don't understand the reviewers at all. It wasn't lord of the rings, but it wasn't trying to be. It was a different type of movie, and it stands on it's own as one of the best fantasy movies (in my opinion)

It had a few pacing issues in the beginning where things felt a bit rushed, but man was the movie good ! A lot better than I was expecting too. Hoping that extended edition materializes, and that the positive word of mouth helps the movie.

Just saw it last night.. I finally know why the user ratings are so high on imdb when the metascore is so low. The movie was great ! Don't understand the reviewers at all. It wasn't lord of the rings, but it wasn't trying to be. It was a different type of movie, and it stands on it's own as one of the best fantasy movies (in my opinion)

It had a few pacing issues in the beginning where things felt a bit rushed, but man was the movie good ! A lot better than I was expecting too. Hoping that extended edition materializes, and that the positive word of mouth helps the movie.

Good to hear! I will respect your opinion as your avatar the s amazeballs.

styl3s

Wouldn't surprise me Warcraft is fucking HUGE in china.

Gonna be fun to go back and read some of the comments from people who think they are box office experts a lot of people before the first reviews even came out were saying it's going to flop, it's not going to do well because its a video game movie or that nobody cares about a warcraft movie and then when early critic reviews came out people were having a field day.

But then again this is a forum that considers Batman V Superman is a box office flop. Almost 900 million isn't a box office flop.

Arex

Doesn't really deserve the 17~% on RT (more like 7-7.5 movie to me), RT is really skewed with the all or nothing scores.

Far more enjoyable to watch than Batman v Superman (imo ofc) , my mum and sister both agree lol

I hope it succeed overseas, I really want them sequels haha

Ah now that's good to hear. I'll save my opinion until I see the movie myself, but the constant awful reviews with very little backing them up were making me wonder if maybe something about it just wasn't clicking with the right audiance.

Between this and Xmen Apocalypse I'm beginning to think I'd like movies a lot more if I just always went into the theatre expecting it to be god awful and being pleasantly surprised when it's actually good...

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
It was bad, just really bad.

I liked the CGI and the Orc scenes, but overall the movie was just not good. They try to build up to a lot of things, but because none of the characters have any depth, you just don't care. I also wasn't a big fan of the acting of the humans.

The best example was the moment the son died and the main character could just watch. What could have been a powerful scene, was no just rubbish. "Oh no, the guy that had 50 seconds of screentime until that fight dies..." We barely even know who that kid was.

Something that also bothered me was the use of Durotan. A great orc with a lot of personality. And they barely uses him. He should have had more scenes.

Also after the fight of Gul'dan vs Durotan all the orcs turned on the cheater Gul'dan, he suddenly kills three orcs and everyone just suddenly 'forgives' him cheating and will fight anyway for him? That was just bad writing...

A lot of the scenes were cringy and I was shaking my head a lot in disbelieve. One of my friends who is a huge Warcraft fan was also really dissapointed. The movie was just missing at least 30 minutes because the pacing was just too fast. The story had no depth and was really 'basic'. I expected a lot more if you look at the lore of the Warcraft universum.

Also how stupid was the end fight? We barely see any great fighting scenes in the whole movie with the exception of the big fight in the end. Then we get to see a big show-off of two powerful characters and instead of making an epic 5 minute battle, they end the fight after 10 seconds...

I am really surprised that people here liked the movie. I am guessing a lot of fans here right now? I am pretty sure that the backlash in the coming weeks will be enormous.

cdyhybrid

I liked the CGI and the Orc scenes, but overall the movie was just not good. They try to build up to a lot of things, but because none of the characters have any depth, you just don't care. I also wasn't a big fan of the acting of the humans.

The best example was the moment the son died and the main character could just watch. What could have been a powerful scene, was no just rubbish. "Oh no, the guy that had 50 seconds of screentime until that fight dies..." We barely even know who that kid was.

Something that also bothered me was the use of Durotan. A great orc with a lot of personality. And they barely uses him. He should have had more scenes.

Also after the fight of Gul'dan vs Durotan all the orcs turned on the cheater Durotan, he suddenly kills three orcs and everyone just suddenly 'forgives' him cheating and will fight anyway for him? That was just bad writing...

A lot of the scenes were cringy and I was shaking my head a lot in disbelieve. One of my friends who is a huge Warcraft fan was also really dissapointed. The movie was just missing at least 30 minutes because the pacing was just too fast. The story had no depth and was really 'basic'. I expected a lot more if you look at the lore of the Warcraft universum.

Also how stupid was the end fight? We barely see any great fighting scenes in the whole movie with the exception of the big fight in the end. Then we get to see a big show-off of two powerful characters and instead of making an epic 5 minute battle, they end the fight after 10 seconds...

I am really surprised that people here liked the movie. I am guessing a lot of fans here right now? I am pretty sure that the backlash in the coming weeks will be enormous.

Maybe people just have different opinions.

I might be crazy though.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even bad ones.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
almost like people have differing opinions

So was the Battlefield Earth comparison way off?

Yup, this was actually fairly enjoyable. I'll admit, my expectations were very low. But uh yeah, I saw it last night and I was entertained. The fights were pretty cool, likeable characters, cool music, very little fanservice (which I liked) and what fanservice there was was pretty funny (the subtle level up animation when Kadgar beats Medivh).

Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to a sequel.

Also after the fight of Gul'dan vs Durotan all the orcs turned on the cheater Durotan, he suddenly kills three orcs and everyone just suddenly 'forgives' him cheating and will fight anyway for him? That was just bad writing...

All valid points, but man, it could have been so much worse. At least the movie made you care enough to make you level complaints like these.

Carcetti

So was the Battlefield Earth comparison way off?

My expectations were at zero and the movie was a nice surprise in that sense. It's silly, too faithful to the source material, with some genuinely metzen dialogue and horrible actors in Stormwind, but it's an entertaining movie nonetheless. Not even on Transformers level of bad.

Jokab

Pretty much agree with everything you said. CGI was amazing, 3D looked very nice, and some Orc scenes were genuinely good. But as a whole the movie was pretty bad. Story was rushed, you are given no time to care about any of the empty characters
except maybe Durotar

Beforehand I read a few impressions that hailed the father-son aspects, but honestly I found them very lacking. Lothar's son died after, as you said, about 30 seconds of screentime and Durotar's son goes through no hardships anyway.

I'm definitely a fan of the Warcraft universe, but they could have done so much more with the material. Hoping for a Arthas sequel, that's actually a really good story that should work better on the big screen.

TheChaos0

I've watched it yesterday. It was pretty decent, the biggest problem was the pacing. The film was going through the events a bit too quickly without really stopping to explain who the characters are and why we should care about them. Bits of background information here and there would have come a long way. I feel you had to have played the games to get more enjoyment out of it.

With Medivh they could have shown why he ended up like he did at the end of movie. I know why but it just seems like he went evil because. Same thing with Gul'dan, Garona mentions a voice that spoke to Gul'dan. Well, you could have started the movie with that!

Pretty much agree with everything you said. CGI was amazing, 3D looked very nice, and some Orc scenes were genuinely good. But as a whole the movie was pretty bad. Story was rushed, you are given no time to care about any of the empty characters
except maybe Durotar

Beforehand I read a few impressions that hailed the father-son aspects, but honestly I found them very lacking. Lothar's son died after, as you said, about 30 seconds of screentime and Durotar's son goes through no hardships anyway.

True, that did nothing for me. I did like Lothar as a character though. Durotar as well.
felt bad for him when he had to bite it at the end there

I'm definitely a fan of the Warcraft universe, but they could have done so much more with the material. Hoping for a Arthas sequel, that's actually a really good story that should work better on the big screen.

True. It needed maybe just a little more focus, but still, not bad for a first effort... Like you said, an Arthas movie could give it that focus.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It's now been a week since I saw it. The more I think about it the more I like it. There are some issues that doesn't quite work out. But I'm dying to see it again and I want Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne movie-sequels. They just need to figure out how to get closure on the Orc-storyline in Frozen Throne. If they manage to pull that off I'll be a very happy nerd.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Yeah I gotta say, reviewers on this are so far from the truth. This was a great video game movie, made a lot of sense lore wise and was all round enjoyable. Amazing scenery, loved every bit. Can not fucking wait for two and three.

m4st4

Played W3, Frozen Throne and 100+ hours of WOW; sadly I have zero hype for this. Star Trek Beyond and Suicide Squad, that's it for me this summer.

SilentRob

True, that did nothing for me. I did like Lothar as a character though. Durotar as well.
felt bad for him when he had to bite it at the end there

Let's disuss Durotan's storyline and character arc, because I think it's one of the most frustrating aspects of this movie:

He's established as a willful servant of Gul'dan, just like everyone else. Gul'Dan is just as evil at the beginning of the movie as he is at the end of it, so it should be pretty obvious to everyone that he isn't a very honourable orc, you know, with all the lifesucking and stuff. Then, after invading an innocent world - by means of genocide of the Draenei - he suddenly starts to realize: "Hey! Wait a second! Maybe Gul'dan is kinda evil? Huh!". There's no real reason for this. He sees Blackhand rounding up humans and seems to be bothered by it (why? You KNEW this would happen, it was the entire purpose of the invasion and you already did it with the Draenei) and actually has to thank Gul'Dan for saving his son's life. As far as he knows Gul'dan did a pretty cool thing with the reanimation and, other than that, did EXACTLY what he promised to do.

Still, Durotan suddenly decides that he has to be a main character in this movie and rebel against Gul'Dan only because the scripts tells him to, not because he went through a meaningful character arc. They try to excuse this by him saying "Hey, notice how this lands dies? Maybe it's Gul'Dan!" to which I say "Well, bullshit!" because there is no way in hell they didn't recognize this happening with Draenor. I mean, the second Gul'Dan rose to power an entire planet died (at least that's implied? The whole Draenor plotline is painfully underdeveloped in the movie) and he just kinda shrugged it off, but the second they about 20 square meters of land turns bad, he gets suspicious and immediatly tries to rebel? Eh.

So Durotan decides to rebel by working with the humans. This alliance is what the entire marketing built toward and what this movie was supposed to show me. He meets with the humans...and immediatly gets ambushed and thrown into jail, with his whole clan getting slaughtered. That's supposed to be really shocking but since we have not even once seen the "clan" they keep talking about beforehand and gave us absolutely no information on what "clan" means in this context, how big it is or how Durotan really leads it (they told us but not once have they shown us, something this movie loves to do) I didn't care about the Frostwolves at all.

Anyway, Durotan get's thrown into jail, gets freed by Orgrim (who, again, decides that Gul'dan really IS evil after seeing him do exactly what he did before and what he promised to do - he also HAD to have known what would happen to Durotans clan when he betrayed him) and then they finally decide to start the rebellion.

Durotan fights Gul'Dan and...gets fucking destroyed. Orgrim uses that chance to talk to about Gul'Dans lack of honour and why he isn't a fit leader of the clan, three orcs kinda agree with him, get killed...and everyone else just shrugs it off and start fighting the humans, while Orgrim just continues to stand there for the entirety of the battle.

Durotan did NOTHING of consequence in this movie. He failed at everything he tried to do and was a willful participant in Gul'Dans blatantly evil schemes until he wasn't...not because there was a big event or because of character development, but simply because the script said so. He is the character the movie spends the most time with and he is completely and utterly worthless. Nothing would have changed if you would just delete him from the movie completely (well, his clan would still be alive, so there's that).

His only purpose was to be the father of Thrall, which happened before the movie and, again, has absolutely no consequence in this movie at all, since it's just set-up for a sequel. I was utterly dumbfounded when Durotan just kinda died without consequence at the end because it's such a non-existant character arc.

And still, he will probably be heralded as a hero in the sequels, just because that's what his character was supposed to be according to the plot outline, even though nothing in the actualy movie supports this view. If we just look at what he actually did he should be immediatly forgotten and shunned because he first participated in Gul'Dan's plans, then decided his plans were bad waaaay too late and then immediatly failed to stop them.

FeD.nL

Let's disuss Durotan's storyline and character arc, because I think it's one of the most frustrating aspects of this movie:

I agree that, like a lot of the characters, he could have used more time.

Spoilers:

Durotan does experiences first hand what happens with fel infused orcs when Medivh kills them in their first encounter. That is what initiates his change of heart regarding Gul'Dan and leads to the talk about him corrupting the land.

But the character that really could have used more screentime is Orgrim. And that would've made Durotan a better character as well.

Overall the film just tries to do way too much in the time it has. Still enjoyed though.

Houndi101

Well to be fair to my understanding they originally had the time? Then the budget went overboard and they cut the 40 minutes and the cgi for (some of) those scenes wasn't finished?

Edit: So sure maybe Zowie Bowie should have some how known to dial back on the stuff he needed Idk

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional

He's established as a willful servant of Gul'dan, just like everyone else. Gul'Dan is just as evil at the beginning of the movie as he is at the end of it, so it should be pretty obvious to everyone that he isn't a very honourable orc, you know, with all the lifesucking and stuff. Then, after invading an innocent world - by means of genocide of the Draenei - he suddenly starts to realize: "Hey! Wait a second! Maybe Gul'dan is kinda evil? Huh!". There's no real reason for this. He sees Blackhand rounding up humans and seems to be bothered by it (why? You KNEW this would happen, it was the entire purpose of the invasion and you already did it with the Draenei) and actually has to thank Gul'Dan for saving his son's life. As far as he knows Gul'dan did a pretty cool thing with the reanimation and, other than that, did EXACTLY what he promised to do.

Still, Durotan suddenly decides that he has to be a main character in this movie and rebel against Gul'Dan only because the scripts tells him to, not because he went through a meaningful character arc. They try to excuse this by him saying "Hey, notice how this lands dies? Maybe it's Gul'Dan!" to which I say "Well, bullshit!" because there is no way in hell they didn't recognize this happening with Draenor. I mean, the second Gul'Dan rose to power an entire planet died (at least that's implied? The whole Draenor plotline is painfully underdeveloped in the movie) and he just kinda shrugged it off, but the second they about 20 square meters of land turns bad, he gets suspicious and immediatly tries to rebel? Eh.

So Durotan decides to rebel by working with the humans. This alliance is what the entire marketing built toward and what this movie was supposed to show me. He meets with the humans...and immediatly gets ambushed and thrown into jail, with his whole clan getting slaughtered. That's supposed to be really shocking but since we have not even once seen the "clan" they keep talking about beforehand and gave us absolutely no information on what "clan" means in this context, how big it is or how Durotan really leads it (they told us but not once have they shown us, something this movie loves to do) I didn't care about the Frostwolves at all.

Anyway, Durotan get's thrown into jail, gets freed by Orgrim (who, again, decides that Gul'dan really IS evil after seeing him do exactly what he did before and what he promised to do - he also HAD to have known what would happen to Durotans clan when he betrayed him) and then they finally decide to start the rebellion.

Durotan fights Gul'Dan and...gets fucking destroyed. Orgrim uses that chance to talk to about Gul'Dans lack of honour and why he isn't a fit leader of the clan, three orcs kinda agree with him, get killed...and everyone else just shrugs it off and start fighting the humans, while Orgrim just continues to stand there for the entirety of the battle.

Durotan did NOTHING of consequence in this movie. He failed at everything he tried to do and was a willful participant in Gul'Dans blatantly evil schemes until he wasn't...not because there was a big event or because of character development, but simply because the script said so. He is the character the movie spends the most time with and he is completely and utterly worthless. Nothing would have changed if you would just delete him from the movie completely (well, his clan would still be alive, so there's that).

His only purpose was to be the father of Thrall, which happened before the movie and, again, has absolutely no consequence in this movie at all, since it's just set-up for a sequel. I was utterly dumbfounded when Durotan just kinda died without consequence at the end because it's such a non-existant character arc.

And still, he will probably be heralded as a hero in the sequels, just because that's what his character was supposed to be according to the plot outline, even though nothing in the actualy movie supports this view. If we just look at what he actually did he should be immediatly forgotten and shunned because he first participated in Gul'Dan's plans, then decided his plans were bad waaaay too late and then immediatly failed to stop them.

My thoughts exactly with
Durotan. There is literally nog logic why he suddenly thinks Gul'dan is a bad guy. It would have been more logical if he already thought he was a bad dude in their original world.

And oh not only three orcs agreed that Gul'dan is a cheater and not a good leader after Durotan dies. Almost all of the Horde thinks the same. But he kills three guys and hundreds of orcs just forget about it ...

It's sad Durotan wasn't used well, because I thought at first he was an interesting character. The same about his wife and she also dies such a stupid death.

Yeah definitely no disagreements there SilentRob. But I guess that my expectations (as I've said) were so incredibly low that stuff like that didn't bother me that much. It's somewhat of an achievement that the movie made me feel something for any of its characters at all. Could it have been done better? Absolutely. But with a product like this, its weird origins and extremely long production, it's difficult to know what you can reasonably expect.

I actually disagree. I thought Warcraft was not a very funny movie, not a lot of jokes in there. It was also much more brutal and brroding that LotR. I wouldn't even classify it as an adventure movie much, there's mostly war and scheming in this one. I think you oversimplify the plot of both movies to make them look alike.

Yeah, both are bad movies, that is my simplification. I love fantasy literature, but sadly LotR has always been a real turnoff for me. And I was introduced to fantasy by LotR books like almost everyone. I found it really bore. Luckily the races, dragons, orcs, magic and Sauron hit me hard, so I started to read a lot of fantasy. I'm more interested in the darker side of fantasy, I do not like hobbits, fairies, pixies, elves and other light creatures. Orcs are my race.

Apparently lots of Warcraft's jokes were cut out.
Think about the last fight with Medivh, those jokes came out literally from nowhere. The whole fight seemed kind of humorous. It was totally out of place.

Yeah definitely no disagreements there SilentRob. But I guess that my expectations (as I've said) were so incredibly low that stuff like that didn't bother me that much. It's somewhat of an achievement that the movie made me feel something for any of its characters at all. Could it have been done better? Absolutely. But with a product like this, its weird origins and extremely long production, it's difficult to know what you can reasonably expect.

I still say
that the movie was too long for its own good. They had to edit and make it a chaotic mess. They should have cut the movie about when the Orcs come through the Dark Portal and start waging war. End it with a first big clash with Humans. Then continue onwards with the clan wars and Mevih's plot in a sequel. I found that the most disappointing thing in the movie. And damn I loved the Orcs. They were so cool.

Houndi101

Critics Consensus: Warcraft has visual thrills to spare, but they -- and director Duncan Jones' distinctive gifts -- are wasted on a sluggish and derivative adaptation of a bestselling game with little evident cinematic value.

Could have been more brutal

Atram

looks like China will get a new Movie Record

Warcraft midnight presales 47.5m (yuan)
FF7 midnight screening 52.4m(yuan)

That's good news. Having not seen the movie (but having what I hope is a pretty fair/unbiased impression of it), I can definitely see how a sequel can capitalize off of the positives of the movie and avoid many of the problems. A cleaner, more focused movie that doesn't have to establish a whole word with scenes in different locations every 15 seconds.

Or, you know, a movie that has not been cut to shreds by studio executives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom