• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Implying that HBOs Game of Thrones is some sort of higher class art sound super weird.

lKlyYJQ.gif

This is some DaVinci-level shit right here.

duckroll

It's referring to the fact that LOTR and GOT have the "prestige" factor working for them as they both come from critically referred works of fiction, and both adaptions have swept award shows because of how well-executed they were. They weren't just great fantasy adaptions, they were a great trilogy/TV show period. They're saying Warcraft isn't that.

Although Warcraft comes from a critically-revered series, the games are beloved widely for their gameplay, not their storytelling or plot.

Basically I take it to mean Warcraft is a "Popcorn Movie" or whatever the term is and was never mean to be seen as a tour de force.

Idk, I don't consider Game of Thrones to be a "tour de force" or a "great adaptation" either. It's a passably entertaining pulp fantasy series with tits and blood. So if you're saying that Warcraft is worse than that, it sounds pretty bad!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
if you want to see bad CGI, maybe you should look at RDJ in the Iron Man suit in Civil War with the helmet down. THAT was bad. never mind what you showed wasn't even CGI.

why do you have to remind me of that horrible moment. damn that CGI was bad.

Idk, I don't consider Game of Thrones to be a "tour de force" or a "great adaptation" either. It's a passably entertaining pulp fantasy series with tits and blood. So if you're saying that Warcraft is worse than that, it sounds pretty bad!

Amen. Most people don't watch GoT because it is a great adaption or something intellectual. They want to be shocked by the character deaths and want to see some nice boobies.

ExVicis

Well personally I don't how the movie is since I haven't seen it but I understand what the people are trying to say when they say "they liked it but..." But for what things sound like it probably is worse than Game of Thrones, but sounds probably still watchable and maybe even enjoyable.

Personally I had wished it was an exceptionally good movie, the Holy Grail of Videogame movies, but unfortunately it doesn't seem that'll be the case if these early impressions are something to go by.

Mendrox

Watched it yesterday.

Warcraft was my game to go when I was young. I am 26 now.

Bought Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne on release. Play them to this day still with some friends sometimes. And of course I played Warcraft + 2 and the expansions before WC3 even (even though I didn't really play it for the story back then)

Played World of Warcraft (since NA beta and then EU release) including Burning Crusade and I came back for every free trial (about 40 days play time overall).

Consumed the lore here and there like a champ just to understand the whole thing.

I wanted this movie for years back then when WoW was still fresh and now I watched it with a friend of mine with whom I played together all these years.

We are damn disappointed, because this movie lacks structure, pacing, tid bits for fans are missing, it looks kinda cheap even though it looks expensive (does that make sense?). I love how the world looks in that real life look, but everything else was just bad and I am a Warcraft fan. :(

Houndi101

Watched it yesterday.

Warcraft was my game to go when I was young. I am 26 now.

Bought Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne on release. Play them to this day still with some friends sometimes. And of course I played Warcraft + 2 and the expansions before WC3 even (even though I didn't really play it for the story back then)

Played World of Warcraft (since NA beta and then EU release) including Burning Crusade and I came back for every free trial (about 40 days play time overall).

Consumed the lore here and there like a champ just to understand the whole thing.

I wanted this movie for years back then when WoW was still fresh and now I watched it with a friend of mine with whom I played together all these years.

We are damn disappointed, because this movie lacks structure, pacing, tid bits for fans are missing, it looks kinda cheap even though it looks expensive (does that make sense?). I love how the world looks in that real life look, but everything else was just bad and I am a Warcraft fan. :(

Nice to hear these kinds of opinions, whatever they may be, hopefully they keep coming to help me wait for June.

Nugg

Alright, I've seen it last night. Very mild spoilers in my post I guess, and I'll try to tag them.

First of all, I'm a huge Warcraft fan. I've been playing the strategy games since I was a kid, and my WoW subscription is still running since day one, with the ten year anniversary thank you statue proudly displayed in my house.

The movie was a mess. There's some very high points, like the Orcs, some of the cast (Garona, Khadgar and Durotan) or the insane attention to details, but also some very low points, like some of the CG and some of the acting. Lothar is bad, and Llane has zero charisma, which is weird for a King. Places like Stormwind are very faithful to the game, but also feel very fake. It's almost like if it was TOO faithful in a weird way. It's cool that they are riding gryphons,
but I didn't need them to land EXACTLY at the gryphon master location.
That's just fan service, and it stands out weirdly. Fans of the games will love the easter eggs (extra points to those of you able to spot
the summoning stone
), but sometimes it feels like too much. There's too many ideas in that movie, and they never have te time to really expand on them. I loved the shot of Westfall in the trailers,
but that's literally all of Westfall that's in the movie. There's not a single second more.
It's just there as fan service "hey guys, remember that place in the game? cool, back to the movie now". Locations are name-dropped like candy and it never pays off.

It was a weird thing. I'm definitely disappointed, I have no intention of seeing it again, but also I'm glad I saw it, and I wouldn't mind a sequel. They're definitely setting things up for one, and I fear that's yet another part of the movie that's never going to pay off.

It really feels like it's close to being a great movie, but like a house of cards, it's the little things that make everything fall apart.

Mendrox

Nice to hear these kinds of opinions, whatever they may be, hopefully they keep coming to help me wait for June.

Ahh I am just disappointed. You can feel that they pumped money into it and that somebody directed the movie with experience and knowledge of the property, but... I don't know. I didn't expect THAT.

Feels a bit like Batman vs Superman in that regard for me for the utter disappointment, but other people will surely like it much more. It's a fantasy movie.

Sölf

Oh, OT is already here, So no "Included plenty of Deep Breaths". :(

Well, going to see it on sunday. Still hyped, no matter what the reviews say.

Watched it yesterday. I think it was pretty good, nothing groundshacking or genre defining, but a very good and fun fantasy movie.
They captured the Warcraft feeling and look perfectly. Some things were a bit off, but I can look past that. The action was pretty good overall and the Orcs look amazing and have a very good characterization (good and evil).

There were also some fun "Eastereggs" for Warcraft fans, the highlight definetly being (EASTEREGG SPOILER)
the Murloc with the original sound

SilentRob

Well, it's one of the most succesful and best rated shows of all time, so I'd strongly disagree with you there. Game of Thrones is both a tour de force and a great adaption to me :p

well f*ck the critics.. i belive in these http://imgur.com/Y95qpkl

Maybe just try to appreciate the critic's opinions and points of criticism while also acknowledging that fans of the material can still be entertained by it? Nah. Fuck those critics!

raphier

Banned
Seen it last night. It is absolutely the most technical movie I've ever seen. It's very beautiful and implements CGI in a way I've never seen before. Sadly the script is the weakest part.

There's a massive problem where it moves the characters from A to B, but it never reaches the climax of emotion or drama. It just is. it just flows forward and doesn't stop,

I don't know how to say this, umm.. "high energy" you usually get during the good movies didn't exist here at all. There was time I thought, "finally this is it, this is gonna be it" but it never arrived.

+ CGI beats every other movie from the existence
+ Orcs were the best part, more personality than their human counterparts.
+ Violent kills, it didn't hold back.
- Bad pacing
- Garona was meh.
- My biggest problem, it's warcraft. yeah that is bad, because Blizzard's warcraft is actually very bland and it doesn't make for a good movie.

It's not bad, it's not good either.

Stike

Okay guys, here's my spoiler free review for Warcraft:

My history with Warcraft is not ultra-deep, but I played Wc3 and WoW, so you can say I am more than casually involved, but not with the backstory which is told in this movie.

The movie throws you right in the middle of quite a cast of characters that you still need time to get to know, but that only happens over time. You can tell this story would have required more time to develop, but we have only about two hours of runtime, and the script kinda rushes through all those events required to understand all motivations and connections. Duncan Jones does a great job in telling a story that dense in such a short amount of time. But here is also the problem: The film has barely enough time for "character moments", for breathing in and characters becoming more than "the wizard" and "the king" etc. It fails in that department - just a little.
We still do get a beautiful movie with "engaging enough" characters, with the Orcs being on the plus side, which was also necessary, since those CGI-only creatures need all the depth they can get. They don't have the human actor bonus of the other side. The Orcs are really well done with incredible amount of detail, and so is the detail level on the alliance side with the swords, shields and armors. The magic CGI looks a bit overdone, but it is over-the-top Blizzard magic we are talking about here, so it is faithful to the games, despite it is not working as well in a movie. Maybe people are just feeling overfed with CGI at this point and less would have been more.

So, now I have touched mainly the aspects of pacing and looks, but who is this movie for? Well, it is definitely for the fans. You can tell Jones did his best effort to deliver an experience as true to the games as possible while not losing the casual audience. Speaking of those: People not familiar with the matter may fall into one of the possible traps:
- Expecting a popcorn-action flick, they might be disappointed with the amount of character moments and exposition, action isn't this movie's only purpose. If you expect Michael Bay's Warcraft, you will be disappointed.
- Expecting a somewhat leveled approach to fantasy, people may be blown away by crazy high-fantasy concepts like incredibly powerful mages, lifesucking evil magic, world-crossing portals and much much more. Anyone expecting a more grounded fantasy world like Lord of the Rings may "switch off" due to CG and craziness overload. I think this is the POV where most negative professional reviews are coming from.

Overall I enjoyed my time at the movies and I don't have the feeling of having wasted time or money. It's worth seeing in the theater.

8 out of 10 from me. Anyone giving this 5 or lower, or even comparing it to motherfucking Battlefield Earth, is just an idiot screaming for attention.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

My history with Warcraft is not ultra-deep, but I played Wc3 and WoW, so you can say I am more than casually involved, but not with the backstory which is told in this movie.

The movie throws you right in the middle of quite a cast of characters that you still need time to get to know, but that only happens over time. You can tell this story would have required more time to develop, but we have only about two hours of runtime, and the script kinda rushes through all those events required to understand all motivations and connections. Duncan Jones does a great job in telling a story that dense in such a short amount of time. But here is also the problem: The film has barely enough time for "character moments", for breathing in and characters becoming more than "the wizard" and "the king" etc. It fails in that department - just a little.
We still do get a beautiful movie with "engaging enough" characters, with the Orcs being on the plus side, which was also necessary, since those CGI-only creatures need all the depth they can get. They don't have the human actor bonus of the other side. The Orcs are really well done with incredible amount of detail, and so is the detail level on the alliance side with the swords, shields and armors. The magic CGI looks a bit overdone, but it is over-the-top Blizzard magic we are talking about here, so it is faithful to the games, despite it is not working as well in a movie. Maybe people are just feeling overfed with CGI at this point and less would have been more.

So, now I have touched mainly the aspects of pacing and looks, but who is this movie for? Well, it is definitely for the fans. You can tell Jones did his best effort to deliver an experience as true to the games as possible while not losing the casual audience. Speaking of those: People not familiar with the matter may fall into one of the possible traps:
- Expecting a popcorn-action flick, they might be disappointed with the amount of character moments and exposition, action isn't this movie's only purpose. If you expect Michael Bay's Warcraft, you will be disappointed.
- Expecting a somewhat leveled approach to fantasy, people may be blown away by crazy high-fantasy concepts like incredibly powerful mages, lifesucking evil magic, world-crossing portals and much much more. Anyone expecting a more grounded fantasy world like Lord of the Rings may "switch off" due to CG and craziness overload. I think this is the POV where most negative professional reviews are coming from.

Overall I enjoyed my time at the movies and I don't have the feeling of having wasted time or money. It's worth seeing in the theater.

8 out of 10 from me. Anyone giving this 5 or lower, or even comparing it to motherfucking Battlefield Earth, is just an idiot screaming for attention.

Thank you for this. Strangely enough, this is more or less what I expected. There's tons of material to go through and where the games have had hours upon hours to tell their tales, a movie only gets a fraction of that time. So you need to choose, either get it all in breakneck-speed or let some things slide. Jones chose for the former, and it has consequences.

strafer

My body is ready.

BSKeJ4J.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Alright, I've seen it last night. Very mild spoilers in my post I guess, and I'll try to tag them.

First of all, I'm a huge Warcraft fan. I've been playing the strategy games since I was a kid, and my WoW subscription is still running since day one, with the ten year anniversary thank you statue proudly displayed in my house.

The movie was a mess. There's some very high points, like the Orcs, some of the cast (Garona, Khadgar and Durotan) or the insane attention to details, but also some very low points, like some of the CG and some of the acting. Lothar is bad, and Llane has zero charisma, which is weird for a King. Places like Stormwind are very faithful to the game, but also feel very fake. It's almost like if it was TOO faithful in a weird way. It's cool that they are riding gryphons,
but I didn't need them to land EXACTLY at the gryphon master location.
That's just fan service, and it stands out weirdly. Fans of the games will love the easter eggs (extra points to those of you able to spot
the summoning stone
), but sometimes it feels like too much. There's too many ideas in that movie, and they never have te time to really expand on them. I loved the shot of Westfall in the trailers,
but that's literally all of Westfall that's in the movie. There's not a single second more.
It's just there as fan service "hey guys, remember that place in the game? cool, back to the movie now". Locations are name-dropped like candy and it never pays off.

It was a weird thing. I'm definitely disappointed, I have no intention of seeing it again, but also I'm glad I saw it, and I wouldn't mind a sequel. They're definitely setting things up for one, and I fear that's yet another part of the movie that's never going to pay off.

It really feels like it's close to being a great movie, but like a house of cards, it's the little things that make everything fall apart.

Having not seen the movie, this is pretty much what I was fearing/expecting would happen. Just trying to cram too much stuff into one movie and it causing the whole experience to just get kind of muddled.

SilentRob

I'm just upset about that kind of clickbait journalism. The movie is undeserving of lower-than-average scores.

That's not how clickbait works. You don't know the score when you click on the article on the website. You know what would be clickbait?

"You won't believe what we thought of Warcraft!"

That would be clickbait, since it wants you to click on the article without actually telling you what the article entails. These headlines are the exact opposite of clickbait, since they accurately tell you what the editor though of the movie, then providing further reasoning after deciding you want to know more.

They disagree with you. Not because they figure "Yeah! That will bring way more clicks (which is in and on itself a deeply flawed premise) but simply because they have a different opinion. An opinion that is just as valid as yours- and they spend many words to explain why they came to that conclusion.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
That's not how clickbait works. You don't know the score when you click on the article on the website. You know what would be clickbait?

"You won't believe what we thought of Warcraft!"

That would be clickbait, since it wants you to click on the article without actually telling you what the article entails. These headlines are the exact opposite of clickbait, since they accurately tell you what the editor though of the movie, then providing further reasoning after deciding you want to know more.

They disagree with you. Not because they figure "Yeah! That will bring way more clicks (which is in and on itself a deeply flawed premise) but simply because they have a different opinion. An opinion that is just as valid as yours- and they spend many words to explain why they came to that conclusion.

Who picks the line on the RottenTomatoes site?

Because his review is headlined with "Imagine Battlefield Earth without the verve, or the unintentional comedy." on RT and it's definitely clickbait.

The summary of the review on The Wrap als reads as follows "Imagine “Battlefield Earth” without the verve and you get this sludgy, tedious fantasy adventure, a fun-starved dud that’s not even unintentionally hilarious"

And even just putting it in your review is just bait, because people will talk about it when they read it and tell friends and co-workers that "one review even compared it to Battlefield Earth and it was worse!".

SilentRob

Who picks the line on the RottenTomatoes site?

Because his review is headlined with "Imagine Battlefield Earth without the verve, or the unintentional comedy." on RT and it's definitely clickbait.

The summary of the review on The Wrap als reads as follows "Imagine “Battlefield Earth” without the verve and you get this sludgy, tedious fantasy adventure, a fun-starved dud that’s not even unintentionally hilarious"

And even just putting it in your review is just bait, because people will talk about it when they read it and tell friends and co-workers that "one review even compared it to Battlefield Earth and it was worse!".

None of that is what clickbait means and none of that shows that it's a bad review or critique. Clickbait doesn't mean: "Something that makes you want to read an article." That's literally what every single headline/summary is supposed do. The term just gets thrown around by everyone whenever someone makes a statement they disagree with, depriving it of any and all meaning it once had.

If he thinks it's a worse version of Battlefield Earth and then provides reasoning for why he thinks that, it's just as valid as someone in this thread saying it's a great movie for fans.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
None of that is what clickbait means and none of that shows that it's a bad review or critique. Clickbait doesn't mean: "Something that makes you want to read an article." That's literally what every single headline/summary is supposed do. The term just gets thrown around by everyone whenever someone makes a statement they disagree with, depriving it of any and all meaning it once had.

If he thinks it's a worse version of Battlefield Earth and then provides reasoning for why he thinks that, it's just as valid as someone in this thread saying it's a great movie for fans.

Oxford Dictionary said:
clickbait
content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page

So you can argue semantics all day, but that BE reference was put in there for the single purpose to generate clicks.

Impressions from another forum

Hmmm, just got back from the screening. It's a really weird one this. It's definitely not getting bad reviews because it's too nerdy, there is something badly wrong here.

Basically, most of the problems come down to structure and script. So it's not that it's a terrible film because of a lack of artistry, more that the story has been cut to the bone to fit into two hours, and a lot of really important character building connective story tissue has been left out as a result. I watched them film a lot of stuff that's not in the finished movie too, so I suspect there's probably a three hour version of this film that's a lot better.

Essentially, the film boils down to two pairs of friends, Durotan and Orgrim on the Orc side, and Llane and Lothar on the the Humans side. Except, the film never explains or properly introduces these relationships or their backstory properly, instead thrusting the audience straight into the story, meaning you never care what happens to the various characters, as if you don't know the lore, you don't know who they are. There are twists that should be epic moments, but instead are just met with shrugs, because that character groundwork just isn't in the movie.

For example, it's never explained that there are lots of different orc clans, and that the different clans are in competition with each other, or who the leaders of each clan are, or why the orc homeworld is dying, or anything really, just assuming that the audience will either know or work out the various factions themselves. Which is difficult when a lot of the orcs look quite samey. The first 40 minutes are incredibly breathless too, like somebody reading off a list of random plot beats, with no scenes seemingly lasting more than about 30 seconds. It's really head spinning.

Effects wise, the magic works really well, and the orcs work really well UNLESS there are humans or any live action elements in the frame, at which point the whole illusion completely falls apart. I almost wish the whole thing had been CG really. It almost may as well have been. It also lacks any sort of satisfying conclusion.

It's a shame, because there's almost a good film here, but it's just a bit buried in the editing I think. But that's not really going to help this film's chances at the box office. Essentially, if you're super into the lore then there are few surprises, and if you're not, then the whole thing must be a little incomprehensible.

EDIT: And having just read up on it to refresh my memory, it's ironically not even that faithful to the lore either, except in the broadest of strokes.

Will try to avoid any spoilers!

I went to the Premiere last night at London IMAX. I actually had no idea it was that until I got there and saw Duncan Jones with some the cast. It was a cool atmosphere, although a little low-key for the Premiere perhaps. Backstory - Warcraft is one my favourite game series. Played the first 2 games growing up, and WC3+Frozen Throne were one of the first online multiplayer games I really got stuck into. Loved the campaigns too. Got about a year of /played on WoW, and these days an avid Hearthstone/HotS addict. So I think i'd qualify as a fan of the series!

The movie isn't completely awful, but even though I figured it wasn't going to be great I was still a bit disappointed. The film does a couple things well - the costumes are good especially the Orcs. I did enjoy seeing locations from the games come to life on the big screen, although I'd imagine that wouldn't mean anything to someone who hadn't spent time in WoW. The CG is okay but definitely nothing worthy of praise.
The big problem I have with the film is it just doesn't feel authentic or like the actors are passionate about what they are doing. Especially the Humans.
King Llane, Lothar, Khadgar and Medivh
all felt like something out of the Kevin Sorbo Hercules TV series, I don't know if its the accents or script (probably both) but when you're got something like Game of Thrones broadcasting on TV at the moment, Warcraft just feels so poorly done in comparison. The orcs were a little more believable - I'd say the character who is most faithful to the games was
Gul'Dan
. But all in all this is Dungeons & Dragons 2000 level fantasy movie.

The other thing was they definitely try to do shoehorn way too much which ruins the pacing or any establishment of setting. Every minute it feels like they were dropping place and character names in that would mean nothing to anyone who isn't a Warcraft fan. Imagine reading the Silmarillion to someone who knew nothing about Lord of the Rings. I appreciated the Easter egg nods here and there, but they should have scaled back I think and focused more on building a more believable main narrative. The movie wasn't what I hoped it would be, but rather what I expected to be.

Parham

Banned
I'm just upset about that kind of clickbait journalism. The movie is undeserving of lower-than-average scores.

There isn't any obligation for a movie to receive a certain score. Unless the reviewer says something factually inaccurate about the movie, their review isn't wrong.

Edit: Besides, you're acting as if a scoring system isn't completely subjective. I'm willing to bet that a 5 or 8 means something different to every person in this thread.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm willing to bet that a 5 or 8 means something different to every person in this thread.

Well this is a video game forum, so 5 means "irredeemably terrible" and 8 means "almost worth buying"

I'm pretty sure this will not be great, but in honor of childhood me, who obsessed over Warcraft lore and was writing fanfic (without knowing that was a thing) about where the story went after the Warcraft 2 expansion, I must go see it.

I'll probably be seeing it alone though, as even my kids think it looks bad.

Do we know yet what races are in this? I know we've at least got orcs, humans, dwarves and draenei. Are there night or blood elves, goblins or gnomes? Tauren or trolls? I assume undead wouldn't be in this one...

Also, the C in Warcraft is not to be capitalized. GAF usually has better standards in |OT| thread titles :p

yes I'm anal

Loxley

Thanks for sharing your impressions guys! Very fair and honest, I'm still excited to see it for myself but my expectations are firmly in check now. I'll post the spoiler thread ASAP.

Yeah, fix that someone. Getting on my nerves.

Oh crap I just noticed I didn't change that before submitting the thread, this is what happens when you make OPs in haste :p

Underdeveloped story, characters and relationships, is the last thing I would have expected from this film, frankly I think the games have done a pretty bad job at delivering it's own lore, leaving a lot for the books and else, so you already cut the mass market audience and now your best possible audience, WoW players. I'm still going to see it but it really sucks to hear that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom