• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

Disagree, the entire marketing push has been to tout this as a new fantasy epic, pulling in the LotR and Potter crowd. They very carefully avoid mentioning video games in most materials.

You're right. Having The Prodigy in their trailer was a dead giveaway.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Disagree, the entire marketing push has been to tout this as a new fantasy epic, pulling in the LotR and Potter crowd. They very carefully avoid mentioning video games in most materials.

Marketing have been terrible for this movie since day 1. Not sure what they were thinking.

Wollan

Just saw it. Cheesy. The anti Game of Thrones. I enjoyed it. Brave not to skimp on the visuals and lore of the games. If anything, I finally got to see
a murloc and a sheep spell
in a movie.

Daante

Just came home from seeing it.

Spoiler free opinon below.

As a big Warcraft fan i rate it 7/10

As a non Warcraft fan i rate it 5/10

Special effects/cgi are absolutey insane, probably the best iv ever seen.

The pacing of the movie is strange. I feel this movie could have been alot better if it had more story/character development.

Music is a mixed bag, not good, not bad.

I really hope it will be 4k native blue ray release later, cause this movie will look sooo freaking good at a proper home cinema screen.

ExVicis

Just came home from seeing it.

Spoiler free opinon below.

As a big Warcraft fan i rate it 7/10

As a non Warcraft fan i rate it 5/10

Special effects/cgi are absolutey insane, probably the best iv ever seen.

The pacing of the movie is strange. I feel this movie could have been alot better if it had more story/character development.

Music is a mixed bag, not good, not bad.

I really hope it will be 4k native blue ray release later, cause this movie will look sooo freaking good at a proper home cinema screen.
I forget, but how long exactly is this movie? Do you think this is a movie that could have benefited from editing or maybe being a bit longer?

Cider X

Just saw it - The locations are faithfully done and great looking. The effects are mostly fantastic. The movie itself... Bleh. Many scenes feel rushed, dialogue is wooden an often unintentionally funny. We were in a packed theater and many laughs were heard in scenes that were meant to be dramatic.
The ending is a complete mess that seems stitched together from a much longer film. I would only recommend this one to diehard fans of the Warcraft universe. And even they might be disappointed in this lumbering adaption. It feels like Duncan Jones was too close to the source material.

Finaj

Just saw it - The locations are faithfully done and great looking. The effects are mostly fantastic. The movie itself... Bleh. Many scenes feel rushed, dialogue is wooden an often unintentionally funny. We were in a packed theater and many laughs were heard in scenes that were meant to be dramatic.
The ending is a complete mess that seems stitched together from a much longer film. I would only recommend this one to diehard fans of the Warcraft universe. And even they might be disappointed in this lumbering adaption. It feels like Duncan Jones was too close to the source material.

Yeah. It doesn't help that the First War is by far the weakest main Warcraft story with many characters not even having a personality. Duncan Jones had to create a lot from scratch.

I hope DJ learns from this film if he gets to make a sequel. I wouldn't mind him diverging farther from the source material if it means a better made film.

Daante

I forget, but how long exactly is this movie? Do you think this is a movie that could have benefited from editing or maybe being a bit longer?

The movie is 2 hrs and 5 minutes.

I feel yeah the movie should have been longer, with more empasis on good pacing and story/ character development.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
This was always going to be a movie for the fans, so it's no surprise that it's reviewing terribly from critics.
Literally all the Marvel movies were "movies for fans", not even talking about (highly reviewed) outliers like GotG. Deadpool was a movie for the fans. I don't see how this would be an excuse for anything, do fans like bad movies?

edit goddamnit late to the post, didn't realize i'm missing an entire page.

Dinskugga

Saw it yesterday.

Damn this movie should have been around 20minutes longer or something. It would had helped it alot. The pacing is weird in some scenes.

Overrall im happy with the changes from WC1 story they made with the movie. Are maybe one thing i thought was wierd but no big thing.

The visuals are damn impressive for the most parts. Avatar 2.0 i would say. Music is fine. But no really parts you remember.

Some cheesy/cringe scenes. One scene is sooo bad. But overrall the actors are fine. Ofc no masterpiece performance but "ok" .

For non Warcraft people i cant really recomended it.

But for fans its really fun to see all things come alive.

Very pleasantly surprised by the Kermode review. I won't be able to see this in theatres unfortunately (the english version is not showing anywhere in my area, only the dubbed one) so I will wait for the blu-ray but I am now excited.

Weckum

Saw it yesterday, felt like they packed a trilogy into one movie just to set up a trilogy.

Very shaky scenario, emotional scenes have no impact at all and it's just messy all around.

The lore is there, but damnit it's rushed.

Finaj

I'm curious as to what happened. This isn't a situation like with BvS where everyone knows the director can't write for shit. Duncan Jones can write a compelling narrative with developed and 3-dimensional characters.

strafer

I'm curious as to what happened. This isn't a situation like with BvS where everyone knows the director can't write for shit. Duncan Jones can write a compelling narrative with developed and 3-dimensional characters.

Legendary meddling is my guess. Duncans vision will probably be on the bluray.

sobaka770

Banned

If you take the narrative and dialogue out of the movie and read it on paper, as a script, it's actually fine. It's not that convoluted and, despite its simplicity, at least it makes much more sense than Civil War or most summer blockbusters (I still shudder thinking about Now You See Me and this movie gets a sequel). At no point in the movie I felt characters doing stupid things for plot reasons and the amount of unrealistically convenient coincidences is low.
Durotan the only one spotting humans at the orc camp is one example and probably the convenient death of Lothar's son.

The way the scenes are shot is also fine. Therefore I pin some of the movie failures on following factors:

Human actors underperforming. There are emotional scenes in this movie, but the actors don't do anything with them. It is truly fascinating and sad that the most relatable and interesting characters in the movie are Orcs with their mannerisms and quite an emotional range.

Music not helping in crucial scenes (try to remove music from Star Wars or LotR).

Seriousness and comparisons to LotR which confuse the critics. Most reviews try to compare the two, but it's just wrong IMHO and creates a lot of bias. It creates false expectations, false view on how the movie should've been instead of what it is. I love LotR, and it's a better movie (not least because it's based on arguably the best fantasy novel on 20th century), but this movie tries hard to forge an identity of it's own. And let's face it, when Peter Jackson tried to add stuff to the Hobbit, it was all terrible and much worse that anything in Warcraft, or did we forget the elf-dwarf love triangle? This movie is low on jokes and low on adventure, and it's focus is on dealing with immediate threat of orc invasion not on a global scale months-long conflict.

How can she June 9th/10th?
This was always going to be a movie for the fans, so it's no surprise that it's reviewing terribly from critics.
Maybe they should have done this differently and try the LOTR approach, but I haven't seen the movie yet, so it's hard to compare them.
This looks like a LOTR approach for the masses to me. It's certainly not what I wanted or liked so far as a long time WoW fan.

I wanted a silly group of races/classes questing/dungeoning with a lot WoW jokes. Not some grand over serious Orc leader/Human leader war.

Finaj

This looks like a LOTR approach for the masses to me. It's certainly not what I wanted or liked so far as a long time WoW fan.

I wanted a silly group of races/classes questing/dungeoning with a lot WoW jokes. Not some grand over serious Orc leader/Human leader war.

That overall Warcraft storyline is very serious. Plus, this film is an adaptation of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (1994), not WoW (2004).

Except the movie isn't based on WoW, it's based on the first Warcraft game? So the only person to blame for those expectations is yourself.

Except the movie isn't based on WoW, it's based on the first Warcraft game? So the only person to blame for those expectations is yourself.

That overall Warcraft storyline is very serious. Plus, this film is an adaptation of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans (1994), not WoW (2004).
I'm aware. I'm not talking about expectations I'm talking about what I wanted. That's allowed right? Of course, want in one hand, shit in the other, see what gets filled first. I'm still allowed to think their direction sucks. Which game had 12 million concurrent subscribers and is the reason this movie exists? Don't even say Warcraft was the precursor. So was the devs fathers nutting in their moms. And, yeah WoW had a serious story and features the leaders a lot. It's been a big part of every expansion. I just simply would care more about a ragtag group doing funny/awesome stuff not some grand LOTR wannabe.

sobaka770

Banned
I'm aware. I'm not talking about expectations I'm talking about what I wanted. That's allowed right? Of course, want in one hand, shit in the other, see what gets filled first. I'm still allowed to think their direction sucks. Which game had 12 million concurrent subscribers and is the reason this movie exists? Don't even say Warcraft was the precursor. So was the devs fathers nutting in their moms. And, yeah WoW had a serious story and features the leaders a lot. It's been a big part of every expansion. I just simply would care more about a ragtag group doing funny/awesome stuff not some grand LOTR wannabe.

Oh, please, this movie tries so hard NOT to be LotR, don't draw parallels where there are none.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

You seem a little defensive....

This movie exists due to Duncan Jones stepping in and telling blizzard his vision for a Warcraft movie. Legendary wanted a bland war movie with orcs as the bad guys and the humans as heroes. Blizzard didn't want that so they stopped the project altogether.

This movie, and your beloved MMORPG for that matter, exist thanks to an unprecedented popularity of the game Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans and it's expansions and sequels.

It's nice to want things, but to dismiss a movie because it doesn't do what you want, is stupid and a grandiose display of self entitlement. You want a movie about a group doing awesome questing? You have that movie. It's called "Knights of Badassdom". You want a movie that takes place in the WoW universe? Watch the Warcraft movies first and maybe legendary will warrant enough sequels to get us there. But until then, don't be that guy that sits behind his keyboard complaining that the studio that brings Warcraft to life isn't doing it exactly how he would do it, because ultimately, if you want a movie done your way, you need to get your ass in the producer's chair.

Came in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised by it. Some awkward scenes and choreography but otherwise an enjoyable film. Cinematography could have been better. Lots of accurate details from WoW appearance wise which my boyfriend, a long-time player, thoroughly appreciated. Non-players will understand the general story of it, but I think the little details thrown in will really appeal to fans. Go watch!

To those who have watched it, some questions about Gul'Dan and Garona --

Not entirely familiar with Warcraft lore, but does Garona
killing the King necessarily means she's high up the ranks of the Orcs now and that she's can be so influential that she, as the King said, can make peace between the Orcs and humans? How does she eventually accomplish this?

Also, with Gul'dan still among the Orcs, wouldn't there be a power struggle between her and Garona? How do the politics work here? Or does Gul'dan go elsewhere in the game lore?

Man, my expectations for this movie are rock bottom, but I'm a huge WC fan, so I'm hoping that will work out to being at least entertained. I am expecting a visual feast though :>

Finaj

Take this with a grain of salt, but a user on MMO-Champion claimed that he talked to Duncan Jones and discovered that producers did indeed cut a portion of the film in the editing room.

Here's hoping for that director's cut.

Loxley

Take this with a grain of salt, but a user on MMO-Champion claimed that he talked to Duncan Jones and discovered that producers did indeed cut a portion of the film in the editing room.

Here's hoping for that director's cut.

Yeah, Jones said in a Q&A on Periscope with Rob Kazinsky that a number of scenes were cut and he'd love to do an extended release like the LOTR EEs if he's able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom