• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Though the box office prospects of this are all doom and gloom it's interesting that many people are taking notice of the film's expected (????) box office success in China.

I think you're going to see a lot of studio's developing/producing big fantasy films in future because that's a genre that Chinese audiences like.., apparently.

With that in mind I also hear that Riot Games may finally be ready to make a live action League Of Legends film and it has been (heavily) rumoured that a deal is coming together with a big, well known film studio.

So even though Warcraft could underperform in North America its performance in China could spark a wave of video game adaptations or, at the very least, big fantasy films.

You see a couple of orcs chatting to a figure shrouded in shadows.

They ask the mysterious figure what they should do next.

The mysterious figure says "Kill them...., all of them."

The figure steps out of the shadows and we see its
Miss Pac-Man

Waga-waga-waga-waga.
But is she wearing sexy blood-elf armor?

neorej

ERMYGERD!

But this time, not in reference to the quality.

At times… and by god, do not mistake this for a comment on its quality… it made me think of the movie version of Battlefield Earth, and its quivering terror at being seen as ‘squirreling’ the original source.

Yes. And she is inexplicably voiced by
Al Pacino

I'm not sure if that's canon or not.

Sure as fuck isn't canon, but it's sheer genius nevertheless!

Loxley

The RPS review is a good read, and pretty much falls in line with the other reviews so far that aren't laced with hyperbole.

But again, for all its flaws, I don’t think it’s a bad movie. It’s a good movie, let down by its own desire to be a tribute to Warcraft first, a fun fantasy flick second. I really wish it had found a more personal story to focus on, that it had had the solid emotional tent-peg of an Arthas or a Thrall, where the big dilemmas could come from inside, and personal strengths/weaknesses rather than outright fantasy guff like Fel magic. The Beginning makes sense as the start of a new franchise, and it’s 80% the way to being the long awaited Truly Great Game To Movie Conversion. But if there’s to be only one Warcraft movie… and given its reception, that seems likely… it’s a shame it had to be this one. Still, it’s okay. Not great, but far from cinematic disaster, and for all its flaws, one of the best conversions yet. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.

The author really shouldn't have mentioned Battlefield Earth though, since folks are going to see that and over-analyze it even though he says the comparison is not regarding the film's overall quality.

The author really shouldn't have mentioned Battlefield Earth though, since folks are going to see that and over-analyze it even though he says the comparison is not regarding the film's overall quality.
I've come to notice that, unfortunately, the Internet and reading comprehension don't mix well

Glass

Just got back from a midday showing here in the UK.

You know the first 10 mins of Fellowship of the Ring is all back story and context, and we see nothing of our main characters because the pieces need to be put in place first... it felt like that's what was cut from this film. A bit more context before diving head first into the conflict.

It was great as a fan, but this film doesn't stop to let non Warcraft fans on the for ride. Locations are jumped too extremely fast without context.

However it does all come together nicely at the end, and there are definite feels to be had. I truly feel those 40 minutes would make this film great, because so many of the pieces are there, they just needed longer to grow.

And any Battlefield Earth comparions are truly hyperbolic.

Atram

This Movie realy needs the DC, so many things are done right from DJ but all over it feels rushed.

It´s like, you begin to enjoy one scene and in the next second you are in a diffrent location. Like foreplay and she leaves without having sex.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Do people think this would've been reviewed better if they had started with more familiar Warcraft characters/settings like Warcraft 3 with Arthas, Thrall and Illidan?

I'd argue that Warcraft 3 and it's lead into WoW (Vanilla/TBC/Wrath) are more popular and well known than what happens in the first Warcraft.

UnrealEck

Pro tip. Don't read the wowpedia pages for the movie unless you want spoiled.
I found out
Moroes
is in the movie somewhere (probably very briefly). And maybe even
Karazhan

Zackat

Do people think this would've been reviewed better if they had started with more familiar Warcraft characters/settings like Warcraft 3 with Arthas, Thrall and Illidan?

I'd argue that Warcraft 3 and it's lead into WoW (Vanilla/TBC/Wrath) are more popular and well known than what happens in the first Warcraft.
Yes. Or just cough up the extra dough to do the 40 extra minutes :( I just hope China and the foreign box office can get us another movie.

Maybe. I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm really interested in seeing the full cut of the film before they started chopping it down.

S1kkZ

never played warcraft, hated all trailers and the marketing in general. just saw the film and had a good time. not without flaws (really hard to follow when you never played the game, the first 30 minutes jump through 10 or more areas/cities/places) but still a good film.

the marketing department for this film needs to be fired. and boy, some of theese reviews (battlefield earth? REALLY?) are just...wow.

oh and the bad cg from the trailers was massively improved. the film looked brilliant at times.

MouldyK

By no means perfect, but it was not a 22% RT score film. While the plot was all over the place at times, I enjoyed what it was.

The critics were wrong on this one and to be honest...I'd like a sequel even though this is the only Warcraft Media I have consumed.

Loxley

By no means perfect, but it was not a 22% RT score film. While the plot was all over the place at times, I enjoyed what it was.

The critics were wrong on this one and to be honest...I'd like a sequel even though this is the only Warcraft Media I have consumed.

This is where Rotten Tomatoes' hardline "positive or negative" aggregate approach shows it's flaws. The majority of the negative reviews I've read thus far don't paint Warcraft as being this complete and utter dumpster-fire of a movie that such a low RT score would indicate (unlike, say Fant4astic). Many of them seem to think the movie is like, two inches away from being a solid blockbuster but it just doesn't quite get there thanks to some flaws which are too blatant to ignore (mostly regarding the film's pacing and surprisingly serious tone).

Seems like a number of the rotten reviews straddle the line between positive and negative, they just ended up tilting toward negative.

SilentRob

I just saw it. Holy shit. I didn't really know what to expect, but I didn't expect this.

I cannot believe any person with any respect for the art of filmmaking could call this "good for what it was" because what it was was a staggering display of incompetence in writing, acting and, most of all, editing.

There is one single scene reserved for character development in this movie. The rest of its two hour running time is spent with quickly jumping from location to location with a complete and utter disregard for flow and how these two scenes fit together emotionally, which is not at all. You have always two, sometimes three plotlines going on at the same time, all of them treated like they are the main core of the movie, all of them with their own main characters, conflicts and side characters and none of them interact with each other.

You get a prison break on the orc side, then a quick 30-second-scene with a human charaacter on the other end of the lands being really sad because this will be important for the story later an and then a quick cut back to orcs, who are now at a completely different place and have already resolved pretty much everything they wanted to do. This keeps happening. There is a scene in this movie where three characters are caught in a deadlock, we switch scenes to the orcs and then, when we get back to the three characters, all of them are in completely different places, having seemingly resolved the deadlock without us seeing any of it. Batman V Superman is the best edited movie of all time in comparison to this.

This seems like a movie that was thrown in a blender and then given to an editor who had to stitch the remaining pieces together in 3 hours before the premiere so that it can, maybe, possibly be accepted as a movie.

The CGI is great until any non-CGI element is in the frame. In that second it all falls apart. The acting of the human characters ranged from bland to terrible. The music is utterly forgettable with the exception of the main theme that gets played over and over and over and over again until I was beyond sick of it. Nothing gets resolved by the end. Characters are forgotten for half an hour of the movie, only to then reappear without ever acknowledging or explaining their abscence.

This was terrible.

Finaj

Movie sucked balls, they should've spent that money on warcraft 4 instead.

I don't think you know how this film was made. It was made by Legendary and Universal. Blizzard were only producers.

Also, money isn't really an issue with Blizzard.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The movie was kind of boring. I feel like there were glimmers of things working but then they got hammered down by too much stuff.
If this movie took one of it's story lines and focused on that and build characters around it, it would have been waaaaay better I feel like.
But like this every scene just left me cold. Nothing earned their emotional weight and everything kind of fell flat.
They started too big should have chosen a character of one part of this world and build it up from there.
Doesn't help that I saw it with a dub, which sucked ass.

vegeta101

Banned
Saw the movie today and loved it. Not a fan of the games and know nothing of the lore and still thought it was great.
Didn't know the RT score was so low for this, I really don't agree with critics this year at all.
First BvS and now this lol, x-men is next for me yay.

UnrealEck

I thought the movie would have been better as a computer animation. It seems a bit weird looking to me. WarCraft is really stylised and it looked a bit strange seeing it in live action. I think it's hard to do a WC movie for several reasons and this is one of them. The way the movie looked at times seemed like it was some sort of foreign imitation of WarCraft or something. It's hard to describe. Even though the sets and effects were all great it all looked strange.

It wasn't bad but I felt the writing/dialogue was pretty poor. I think a WarCraft 2 could be better in this regard since they've got something to work off of now that they've laid something as a starting point for viewers who aren't as familiar with the games.
I definitely think the 40 minutes cut from it need to be seen because they might have been a crucial addition to making the characters and plot a bit better managed.

Houndi101

Listening to the soundtrack on soundcloud and this has some decent tunes, the main theme, the Lothar and Gul'dan ones stand out at the moment.

-KRS-

Saw it yesterday. I've never really played WoW.

I didn't have any expectations at all, and while it felt pretty corny and clichéd at times it could've been a lot worse. It actually had my attention through the whole thing, and at the end I sort of felt a bit for the characters. The first part of the plot seemed mostly like an excuse to cram as many places from the game into the movie as possible, but eventually it grew into something cohesive.

Overall I liked it, but I dunno if I'd see it again.

empyrean

Saw it yesterday. Quite enjoyed it. Agree when some people say that the film is too quick moving with little explanation for non-fans. The cgi is odd. Looks good st some points and at other times the characters look very fake. Overall a decent effort but needed more character development.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just got back.

Start was all over the place and the ending was really abrupt but a decent movie. Can't wait for the sequel!

Ithil

It's far too overstuffed, and that's with a lot of simplification of adapted elements. I knew what was going on because I know the games, but I imagine it was just a whizz of characters and concepts to a non-fan. The games have their campy tone that makes the melodrama and crazy concepts work, whereas the film seemed to be much more self-serious about it all for some reason.

Great effects, faithful visually, ok but not great action, and as expected the Orcs were by far the best part of the film, with the humans just being more generic fantasy humans with stuffy dialogue and the like.

If they manage to make a second one, they have many areas to work on, namely a better script and more focused narrative.

Gloam

The last 45 minutes or so of this film are gold. The rest not so much. Human characters are really underdeveloped and not that interesting. The orcs steal the show. There's some nice mirroring of plots on either side, the script is interested in its characters, it's a shame the humans ain't up to much. It all comes together in the last act though, I ended thinking quite highly of the film based on that. It's a 3/5 from me.

It's the best 'Videogame Movie' I've ever seen. It's got a ton of "Fuck yeah!" moments in it for fans though the opening half an hour is a bit of a slideshow of places you might recognise stitched together into something resembling a plot. I'm not a huge Warcraft fan and aren't up on the lore so some of the bigger story moments towards the end were still a surprise. Gul'dan carries a lot of the end of the film but by that point it's built up a lot of confidence to just cut loose with everyone.

I wish there were more Warcraft races in the film but I know it was based on "Orcs vs Humans" so it's no surprise that they dominate the film. I really want to see them succeed to get closer to more of the stuff I know but it was a solid effort. I don't think it was the train wreck of a film I've seen some reviews claim it is.

So here is a review, seems to be both great and not so much;

Crash Landed - 3/5

The good:
Much like the two factions the game is known for, Warcraft: The Beginning is a movie of two halves. On one side - and the more technically difficult might I add - are the hulking CG characters come to life, and I’m happy to say they have done a fantastic job bringing that same Avatar-esque feeling to the big screen once again.

And the bad...

Instead each of the characters be it they King, Wizard, Warrior etc becomes a basic archetype - nearly venturing into the fabled Dungeons & Dragons movie territory - not at all the more nuanced storytelling Duncan Jones is known for.

Mr Swine

Banned
Saw the movie with my little brother and we both thought it was a good movie. I was set that this would be a bad and disappointing movie after the negative feedback, but I got surprised how good it is. I hope they make enough money to make a sequel. So far the best movie adaptation of a game

sobaka770

Banned
Thought the scene with his son was well done

Wow, really? You must have looooved the movie, cause those scenes are by far the weakest. Lothar is fine in quippy and sarcastic scenes, but can't pull any of the emotional lines. Only Durotan knows how to emote #GodlikeCGI.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wow, really? You must have looooved the movie, cause those scenes are by far the weakest. Lothar is fine in quippy and sarcastic scenes, but can't pull any of the emotional lines. Only Durotan knows how to emote #GodlikeCGI.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the film

Surprised by how much I did tbh, and yeah Durotan was the standout

Can't wait to see Thrall in future movies (Please be future movies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom