• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warcraft |OT| You Are Not Prepared

Status
Not open for further replies.

eLGee

Not a Warcraft player, but loved the movie. However, it felt as if it was severely edited down to its current running time. I really hope Duncan gets to release the mentioned Director's Cut.

MrPanic

Saw the movie today. My friends kinda dragged me along as they are WoW fans while I know nothing about it. I was surprised by how much I liked the movie. I did notice some funky cgi at places and the way scenes cut in to each other was absolutely all over the place, but all the craziness and silliness that was happening on the screen made it a very entertaining watch all the way through for me.

Of course my expectations were extremely low going in to this since I dislike other Warcraft media, went to Civil War for the first time the day before and saw how negative the scores were for this movie in comparison to those of Civil War. I was basically bracing myself for a horrible movie and got a great time instead. I'd recommend this to anyone that likes visually spectacular movies and doesn't mind a bit of silliness and a lot of warfare in their plot.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Watched yesterday, overall it's quite good. However it's pretty obvious that it needed more screen time, the plot moves way too fast. Also some of the special effects weren't made well, mainly the Dwarves and whenever magic was involved. That aside the movie is EXTREMELLY faithful to the games.

There are also some issues with character development, mainly
Garona and Lothar
but if you are a fan of Warcraft, chances are high you will enjoy this movie.

7.5/10

PS: I need Llane's armor set in WoW ASAP, its amazing.

Rafy

I finally watched it yesterday and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. It felt a bit forced and too fast paced towards the end but that makes sense considering the report that 40 minutes of the movie got cut.

Also, I fee like we needed to see Garona spend more time with the humans to make her choice at the end a bit more impactful.

The Orcs and CGI in general look amazing, with very few and tiny exceptions. Gul'dan is scary AF, really good and solid villain. I can't wait to see more races join the Horde and start an all out war against the Alliance.

I really hope they give us an Extended Edition bluray.

I saw it with a friend who grew up with the original RTS games and gave he gave the movie a 7.5/10, which is approximately how I'd rate it too.

As someone who plays a Mage I really liked the
Polymorph
easter egg but loved the Murloc one.

Haven't seen it because its not playing here yet. From the reviews it sounds like they really fucked up by cutting that 40 minutes and messing with the pacing of film, although granted that 40 minutes could really have been shit. Won't know until if/when there is a directors cut.

I plan to see the movie. I've played everything Warcraft, so I should enjoy it for that at least. Hopefully it makes enough money they do a sequel and actually learn from their mistakes. We really need to get some good decent game-to-movie conversions. There are a ton of games out there that would make awesome movie franchises.

TDLink

I have a spoiler question. Can anyone who has seen it answer?

I've been reading the ending is abrupt. Is it true that the film ends
before the sacking of Stormwind? Like, that doesn't happen in the movie even though it's the end of the first game and that story?

Sölf

I have a spoiler question. Can anyone who has seen it answer?

I've been reading the ending is abrupt. Is it true that the film ends
before the sacking of Stormwind? Like, that doesn't happen in the movie even though it's the end of the first game and that story?

To answer that:

Yes.The sacking doesn't happen. But there are various hooks for a sequel.

Linkyn

Just saw the movie. Overall, I think it's pretty decent, They obviously took some liberties with the source material, but I feel the movie hits the main points relatively well. I'll say it does seem a bit disjointed, but the pacing isn't nearly as bad as some reviews would have you believe. I'll admit that I'm a bit more involved with the lore than the average viewer, but all things considered, it's a solid fantasy movie and easily the best videogame movie I've seen so far.

I really hope it does reasonably well at the worldwide BO. I'd love to see them improve on some of its flaws in a sequel, and the lore / story get a lot more interesting after Orcs & Humans.

Edit: Oh, and it is absolutely technically stunning.

Just saw the movie. Overall, I think it's pretty decent, They obviously took some liberties with the source material, but I feel the movie hits the main points relatively well. I'll say it does seem a bit disjointed, but the pacing isn't nearly as bad as some reviews would have you believe. I'll admit that I'm a bit more involved with the lore than the average viewer, but all things considered, it's a solid fantasy movie and easily the best videogame movie I've seen so far.

I really hope it does reasonably well at the worldwide BO. I'd love to see them improve on some of its flaws in a sequel, and the lore / story get a lot more interesting after Orcs & Humans.

Edit: Oh, and it is absolutely technically stunning.

Yeah, this was almost exactly my opinion. I was really surprised by

a) How fucking badass the magic was.
b) How fucking budass Gul'dan was. Seriously, what a villain.
c) How fucking badass Durotan's missus was.

Zackat

Yeah, this was almost exactly my opinion. I was really surprised by

a) How fucking badass the magic was.
b) How fucking budass Gul'dan was. Seriously, what a villain.
c) How fucking badass Durotan's missus was.

That's one thing that a lot of reviewers who didn't just outright dismiss the film liked about it. I am really looking forward to seeing her character in particular.

Finaj

That's one thing that a lot of reviewers who didn't just outright dismiss the film liked about it. I am really looking forward to seeing her character in particular.

Jones liked Draka so much that he put more of her in the final product.

Seiniyta

Saw the movie last night (Belgium) Theatre ended up fully packed. I quite liked it. And my mom who hadn't played WoW since 2007 did reconize all the areas so that really makes me think how memorable the enviroments are and how well they nailed the locals with the biggest difference Kharazan being a bit thinnier/taller.

I also realized how how I've never ever tried to even translate the various terms into dutch which the subtitles did. There were some...interesting choices.

I did feel like some scenes should have been longer. They changed scenes fast! The CG was incredible. the music was great and felt Warcraft'ish.

I liked the movie a LOT more then the Hobbit Trilogy (first Hobbit was decent imo, the other two not so much)

Ennosuke

Great to read some further positive opinions here. Don't get all the negativity some people spread here. Yes the movie has flaws and they need to improve in a second movie.

Hopefully we will see Thrall, Arthas or even Illidan in one of the next movies.

Opeth1337

Neo Member
Great to read some further positive opinions here. Don't get all the negativity some people spread here. Yes the movie has flaws and they need to improve in a second movie.

Hopefully we will see Thrall, Arthas or even Illidan in one of the next movies.

Duncan Jones said on Twitter that he would prefer to do a movie about Thrall (probably next one) over Arthas because he wanted to see Arthas as a fan :)

Dragoshi1

So...

Anyone know how to figure out which theaters will give you that WoW stuff with the ticket? Or is it every theater?

Finaj

So... the movie launches in China and America this week. I'm curious to see how well it does. If it makes as much as Pacific Rim did, we'll probably see a sequel (and hopefully a Director's Cut).

obin_gam

Just got back.
The movie seriously does not deserve 21% on RT.
I would say it's closer to 60 actually.
It's a bit unfocused, but I had a good time during these 2 hours and the problems it had would be solved with a Dir.Cut, because OMG it felt cut.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So... the movie launches in China and America this week. I'm curious to see how well it does. If it makes as much as Pacific Rim did, we'll probably see a sequel (and hopefully a Director's Cut).

It'll do well in China

Did decent enough here (UK)

TDLink

I can't handle these lore changes, it ruined the movie for me... Is this the official lore now?

Haven't seen it yet so I don't know exactly what is changed. But I'm pretty sure the majority of the changes are to make it more in line with World of Warcraft. When the first game came out they had no idea the franchise would evolve as it did. Orcs were more clear cut monsters/badguys. WoW and spin-off novels retconned a lot of the older stuff from the first two games to make them more sympathetic and make the whole story make more sense. This is the stuff they're using for the movie rather than straight adapting the original game, since now they have the foresight of knowing where the story is going.

Finaj

I can't handle these lore changes, it ruined the movie for me... Is this the official lore now?

The Warcraft Cinematic Universe's canon is separate from the games. Chris Metzen compared the film to the Marvel Ultimate line. If they knew where they were going with Warcraft from the start, this film's story is probably the one they would have chosen.

Moff

I really don't understand how you could put this anywhere near battlefield earth, this is a perfectly enjoyable fantasy blockbuster
I'm not a warcraft lore expert, but I played the games and it made me appreciate the movie more

Hixx

Any updated box office numbers for this?

Stole the blurb from MMO-Champ:

• The movie did $31.8 million in the 20 markets from the first weekend release.
  • It opened in 8 more markets since then, adding a total of $29 million through Sunday.
  • It was the number one movie in seven of the eight new markets.
  • Warcraft is still the #1 movie after 9 days in Germany and still at #2 in Russia.
  • The international release has a total of $69.1 million so far.
  • The movie opens in China on Wednesday, where pre-sale numbers look strong.
Their source: http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft-second-weekend-international-box-office-results-me-before-you-1201767383/

I have no idea if this is doing well or not. But iirc the budget wasn't huge so I guess it could break even at least?

Finaj

Stole the blurb from MMO-Champ:

• The movie did $31.8 million in the 20 markets from the first weekend release.
  • It opened in 8 more markets since then, adding a total of $29 million through Sunday.
  • It was the number one movie in seven of the eight new markets.
  • Warcraft is still the #1 movie after 9 days in Germany and still at #2 in Russia.
  • The international release has a total of $69.1 million so far.
  • The movie opens in China on Wednesday, where pre-sale numbers look strong.
Their source: http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft-second-weekend-international-box-office-results-me-before-you-1201767383/

I have no idea if this is doing well or not. But iirc the budget wasn't huge so I guess it could break even at least?

It only cost $160 million to produce, which is pretty low for the kind of movie it is. It's probably because of the lack of any big actors.

Gorger

I really hope this franchise survives long enough for us to get into Warcraft 3 territory. It's uplifting to see strong numbers so early despite the abysmal reviews, can't wait to see this movie myself.

Finaj

I really hope this franchise survives long enough for us to get into Warcraft 3 territory. It's uplifting to see strong numbers so early despite the abysmal reviews, can't wait to see this movie myself.

We won't know what director would take on that material, though. After 3 films (if we even get that many), Jones is out and would like to watch potential films that follow Arthas "as a fan."

Meliora

Went to see this with my brother and 3 nephews aged 12, 15 and 16. Me and my brother loved it. We used to play a lot of WoW and really enjoyed seeing a lot of familiar places and faces.

Nephew aged 16, didn't really say much, I think he was bit confused by it. He has played WoW up until level 20 and some Hearthstone, but he never cares much for story and lore in games. Nephew aged 15 was very into it, like my other nephew they played WoW together up until level 20 (free trial) and he also plays a lot of Hearthstone. He had so many questions about characters and places on the way home and I think he enjoyed it a lot, while not as much as me and my brother.

Now the big surprise was my last nephew aged 12. He is a clever little guy, loves lore and stories in general and will spend hours reading about games and books he has never played or read aswell as games he has played. He is definately the "nerd" of the three of them, also very smart and has a good grasp on Engslih which isn't our first language. Me and brother were sure he was going to enjoy the movie most of the three, as he knew most about the Warcraft lore of the three, eventhough he hasn't played WoW, Hearthstone or any of the warcraft games, and because he is so into storytelling and worldbuilding. The first thing he said when the movie was done though was "well I guess it's true what they say, video game movies always suck". He thought it was pretty bad :p

I hope there will be more though. The movie had the same feeling as WoW for me, and I loved littled details like for example how similar the direwolves were to the direwolves in game or how the layout of the inn was the same the inns in WoW and so on.

Houndi101

James Mottram
South China Morning Post
June 5, 2016
Warcraft: The Beginning is less a complex immersive digital experience than a simplified sub-Lord of the Rings tale, pitching humans against a race of Orcs.
Full Review | Original Score: 2/5

Don't do this to us China

Strax

So I finally saw it. I did know the names of some characters going in but nothing more. My girlfriend, who had no interest in it, also saw it. We both liked it. Its a solid 7-7.5

strafer

A must watch.

The Warcraft movie will swoop into theaters on June 10, but we’re inviting you to join us on June 6 for the premiere live stream, direct from Hollywood! Hosts Jesse Cox and Michele Morrow will be joined by Warcraft movie director Duncan Jones, movie cast members, and many more special guests as part of this Legendary event.

Join us here and on the official Warcraft Twitch channel for the live stream beginning at 5pm PDT on June 6. You won’t want to miss it!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/20139981?page=1#1

Such a wasted potential. One of the things why I loved WoW was the Orcs (and horde). I love how Orcs are in the movie.

Movie starts pretty decently. Then you'll begin to notice how the story misses bits and pieces, here and there. And then the ending just molests the whole movie. It's cut into a fast moving, chaotically jumping mess. Its horrible. Really bad editing.

Why didn't they make two movies from this material?
This first one could've ended when the Orcs come through the Dark Portal and start to wage war. The end. Cliffhanging when the war is beginning. Then the second movie tells the Medivh plot and ends where this movie now ends.
It's such a fucking waste.

It has the potential to be so much better than those horrilbe LOTR/Hobbit movies (I really don't like them). Now it's just about the same: generic CGI fantasy.

I'm sad. My inner WoW fanboi noticed so many awesome things in the movie. It was fantastic to see all the familiar places. Then they just rape them into this mess. :/

Carcetti

Lots of both bad and good in this movie. I had zero expectations, so pleasantly surprised in that regard. The orcs (Durotan, Doomhammer, Draka, Blackhand, Gul'dan) were all solid. Every time they showed humans I felt like Gul'dan was draining out my will to live, and I'm an alliance player. Did they use all the good lines and actors on the orcs? All in all, super cheesy but still strangely enjoyable summer flick with a strong visual Warcraft flair.

Also, lots of strange hopping between scenes and some terrible scenes. Ending was ruined by the sequel hawking.

Not sure how anyone can call the Lord of The Rings movies generic cgi fantasy

I just did. They look ugly and are too long. They're snorefests. I know I'm almost alone with this opinion, but I don't care. I didn't like the books either. And what makes it even funnier is the fact that I enjoyed Dragonlance more than LotR. Sue me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom