• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

frizby

Hopped on for a few minutes this morning and sold 3 Tower 3 capture keys for 20 plat. It was pretty simple, and I probably got taken, but I need more slots.

Sdoots

So the new update still has no Account Migration for PC vets like myself. I'm still sitting here scratching myself I guess.

Ugh.

Also, my PC clan uploaded an emblem back when that feature came out, and I think it wasn't til like 3 weeks later that it went up.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Been watching some videos and reading impressions, but I can't peg if people actually think the gameplay in this game is good...or if it's really more of an addictive loot grind with mediocre gameplay.

Getting my PS4 today and I'm intrigued enough that I think I want to give this game a fair bit of time, as it seems the most interesting/unique on the platform right now.

Sdoots

Been watching some videos and reading impressions, but I can't peg if people actually think the gameplay in this game is good...or if it's really more of an addictive loot grind with mediocre gameplay.

Getting my PS4 today and I'm intrigued enough that I think I want to give this game a fair bit of time, as it seems the most interesting/unique on the platform right now.

It plays better than it looks, though I will concede that if you are using a frame or weapons that don't fit you as a player, it is dramatically less enjoyable.

I find the game absolutely miserable when I play as Nova or Banshee, and the bows are all boring as hell to me. On the other hand, I have a blast using Vauban and an automatic shotgun, or tanking entire mobs with Frosty P and then clearing a whole room with one ability.

If you take the time to research the frames and guns before you make an investment into the foundry or platinum, you'll be okay. Usually. Seriously, I don't get what you guys like about Nova.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ended up playing a couple of hours last night post patch.

The graphics are definitely improved, more particles for sure, although not same as the PC. And it is smoother for me on a normal basis, but choppier when things go crazy and lots of effects happen at once.

Not sure what to think on the damage changes, some mobs go down much faster, and others take much longer. But there is still difficulty in knowing what weapons do what damage primarily. Yes you can drill down and look in details, but I almost feel like the weapons need tiny corner icons with their primary damage.

Also, I was unable to figure out how to scan anything into the codex. The codex idea is a nice feature, but it needs more explanation on how to use.

Same with the sentinel that searches the stars for you while offline.

And I do want to make a suggestion, see what you guys think, on the results screen, I wish the names of items would be below the pictures, not overlaid on top, as it is hard to read and see what exactly you got in a mission.

I decided to check this out finally. I have no idea what I'm doing yet as far as mods/upgrades/fusion goes but, I enjoyed playing it enough that I'm willing to learn. Can I get added to the clan? BlackSunshine007 is my PSN ID.

Ended up playing a couple of hours last night post patch.

The graphics are definitely improved, more particles for sure, although not same as the PC. And it is smoother for me on a normal basis, but choppier when things go crazy and lots of effects happen at once.

Not sure what to think on the damage changes, some mobs go down much faster, and others take much longer. But there is still difficulty in knowing what weapons do what damage primarily. Yes you can drill down and look in details, but I almost feel like the weapons need tiny corner icons with their primary damage.

Also, I was unable to figure out how to scan anything into the codex. The codex idea is a nice feature, but it needs more explanation on how to use.

And I do want to make a suggestion, see what you guys think, on the results screen, I wish the names of items would be below the pictures, not overlaid on top, as it is hard to read and see what exactly you got in a mission.
You have to buy the codex from the shop, equip it, during a mission press down on the dpad to open the menu of the items, select the codex so you can equip it, then you can use it like a weapon (l2 for zooming , r2 to acquire info on the target).

Played a game last night and the entire interface seemed super slick.

Reminded me of a combo of Destiny and Oni.

How is enemy and level variation? Are there any boss fights? Love the base mechanics, but if I'm just fighting foot soldiers on the same three maps for a hundred hours to feed the free to play dragon I may just stop before I'm invested.

Mrcapcom

Thanks to everyone who helped me get Frost I got all the parts crafting ill check at lunch via remote play if they are done and start on building the actual frame. I also have Nova building which should be done tomorrow :) Really love this game

Do we have the Trading post up yet inside the Clan? Where is it if we do.

molnizzle

Damage 2.0 has really killed off my interest in this game. I don't even know what's going in it anymore, and after 150 hours of playtime that's not how it should be. I feel like the devs pulled a fast one on me.

I know we've known about it for a while, but I didn't think that it was going to be this bad. I mean, certain weapons are now only good against *some* enemies in certain missions. WTF is up with that? I liked the playstyle I had before with the weapons I had taken dozens of hours to fully upgrade. Now they're useless against half the enemies in the game.

Ugh. Digital Extremes is a pretty clueless developer.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nah, you're just being stubborn. Damage 2.0 is a massive upgrade that gives many more weapons a chance to shine. Heck, the default Braton IV is now a fantastic gun because its damage is well balanced. You can make it work against anything with the right mods.

Hopefully, they'll give us three loadout slots in the future so we can easily swap our gear depending on what we're fighting.

Edit: They need to add the new damage spreads to the shop though. It's dumb that it's still using the old system, and the codex seems to be the only way to get real stats.

Sdoots

Damage 2.0 has really killed off my interest in this game. I don't even know what's going in it anymore, and after 150 hours of playtime that's not how it should be. I feel like the devs pulled a fast one on me.

I know we've known about it for a while, but I didn't think that it was going to be this bad. I mean, certain weapons are now only good against *some* enemies in certain missions. WTF is up with that? I liked the playstyle I had before with the weapons I had taken dozens of hours to fully upgrade. Now they're useless against half the enemies in the game.

Ugh. Digital Extremes is a pretty clueless developer.

Now you sound like a Warframe vet. :p

Yeah, there's good reason the response to "Why is ____ broken/bad/glitchy?" is almost always "because lol DE".

There was a brief point in the beta when they first added the void missions where the floor tiles had text on them that said "DON'T USE, THESE ARE FROM BIOSHOCK.". Somehow the placeholder got into the actual release they pushed out. Hotfixed it quickly, but it was funny as hell.

I can only suggest you stick with it, this is far from the most radical change to happen to the game, and most of the time, they've ended up being for the better. Give 2.0 some time before you let it kill an entire game for you.

BPoole

Hopefully, they'll give us three loadout slots in the future so we can easily swap our gear depending on what we're fighting.
That isn't already available in the PS4 version? Multiple mod loadouts for weapon have been in the PC version since U9 I believe.

Does it at least let you have the same mod activated on multiple weapons at once? Back in U7/8, players had to maunally unequip all their mods and reapply them to new weapons every time they switched. It was a major hassle and would make me stick with the same loadouts for awhile just because it was a pain to have to switch them constantly

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That isn't already available in the PS4 version? Multiple mod loadouts for weapon have been in the PC version since U9 I believe.

Does it at least let you have the same mod activated on multiple weapons at once? Back in U7/8, players had to maunally unequip all their mods and reapply them to new weapons every time they switched. It was a major hassle and would make me stick with the same loadouts for awhile just because it was a pain to have to switch them constantly
Weapons do have three loadout slots, yeah. But you still have to swap out each weapon to a different loadout.

I'd like to just have a 'grineer loadout' that changes my warframe, mods, weapons to whatever puncture weapons I see fit.

BPoole

Now you sound like a Warframe vet. :p

Yeah, there's good reason the response to "Why is ____ broken/bad/glitchy?" is almost always "because lol DE".

There was a brief point in the beta when they first added the void missions where the floor tiles had text on them that said "DON'T USE, THESE ARE FROM BIOSHOCK.". Somehow the placeholder got into the actual release they pushed out. Hotfixed it quickly, but it was funny as hell.

I can only suggest you stick with it, this is far from the most radical change to happen to the game, and most of the time, they've ended up being for the better. Give 2.0 some time before you let it kill an entire game for you.
I took some screenshots when that bug was out
2048x1152.resizedimage

Mrcapcom

I hear everyone on the whole Damage 2.0 thing but I think its good. We always had different load outs for our WarFrames at least 3. Just make a load out for each faction. We can now swap while in the wait screen and if you target certain places lay say you always run a defense mission with infected just use your infected build.

I know its gonna take time but its not that bad. Most missions I have been playing are Grineer and im kinda happy all my puncture weapons work. But ill be making sepearte builds now for Infected/Grineer/Corpus soon and just swap on the fly.

Or you can actually make say your pistol for corpus, rifle for Grineer and Melee for Infected and spec that way.

Sdoots

Anyone upset about needing to grind for mods even harder now, you should know that originally, the mod system didn't even exist in this capacity.

Weapons had trees, and applying a catalyst unlocked another segment of branches. Mods just had random status boosts and weren't named or anything, they were just like "Shotgun Damage Amp", or "Rifle Fire Rate 3". You dropped them in certain points on the tree.

Imagine my surprise when all of the trees were wiped, and I had to gain that entire collection of the new mod system. Initially, the drop rates on the new mods were totally busted, as well, so "common" mods like Redirection and Vitality dropped once every 200 missions, if you were lucky. I never found one until they finally fixed the rates weeks later.

Xater

The bug where the framerate drops into single digits seems to be more prevalent now. I really hope they find a fix for it soon.

I don't mind the changes, but then again, I'm always a go with the flow kinda guy.

This week was the first time I've really been able to sit down and be intentional with my playtime. I'm gone for about 5 days because of the holidays but I was able to get 2 war frames, 2 primary weapons and a few other items started.

I'm really enjoying this game and the community. Overall, it's really fun. I just want to have some better warframes to contribute to the team.

Yeah I think Damage 2.0 reminds us that we have 2 more loadouts. I found myself trying to rearrange to make my original loadout good for Grineer defense. I still haven't finished. Which I don't think would be the desired affect since I would like to imagine that most people would just wanna pick up and play. I mean they probably could, but it would probably make missions longer than they have to be. It now rewards people who experiment and don't randomly fuse extras of certain mods.

You first need to buy the extractor blueprint from the market and build it, which will set you back around 50k. The blueprint is reusable, and there is some mention of having to watch how damaged your extractor is, so I assume it randomly takes damage...haven't seen that part yet. Anyhow, you use the star map to go to a system where you have completed all the missions, and press L3 to deploy it. Then you wait four hours, and you can come back and press R3 to empty it, and leave it searching or redeploy it elsewhere.

I emptied mine for the first time this morning, and I got no feedback when I did so. Not sure if that means it didn't gather anything, or if they just forgot to implement some kind of reward screen. I'll get a second chance to see what happens in another few hours.

IvorB

If you like shooting stuff in space and can live without a cover mechanic then it's great fun. It's free anyway so why not just try for yourself. Don't let the tutorial put you off though. And when you load in the first mission and don't have a f**king clue what you're supposed to be doing or what's going on just stick with it. Try a few levels to see if you dig it. I'm looking forward to playing this again tonight.

If you like shooting stuff in space and can live without a cover mechanic then it's great fun. It's free anyway so why not just try for yourself. Don't let the tutorial put you off though. And when you load in the first mission and don't have a f**king clue what you're supposed to be doing or what's going on just stick with it. Try a few levels to see if you dig it. I'm looking forward to playing this again tonight.

This game is more like an RPG with shooter elements to me than it is a straight up shooter. I put $5 into it, so I can't really complain and I'm having fun.

Sdoots

I need to stock up on orokin cells (WTF Latron Prime, 10 cells!?)

Anyone up for doing some Derelicts this weekend?

Every prime item needs 10 cells. Ridiculous, I know.

If it's any consolation, if you are even considering building Latron Prime, you'll probably like it a lot. I sure as hell love mine.

Anyone upset about needing to grind for mods even harder now, you should know that originally, the mod system didn't even exist in this capacity.

Weapons had trees, and applying a catalyst unlocked another segment of branches. Mods just had random status boosts and weren't named or anything, they were just like "Shotgun Damage Amp", or "Rifle Fire Rate 3". You dropped them in certain points on the tree.

Imagine my surprise when all of the trees were wiped, and I had to gain that entire collection of the new mod system. Initially, the drop rates on the new mods were totally busted, as well, so "common" mods like Redirection and Vitality dropped once every 200 missions, if you were lucky. I never found one until they finally fixed the rates weeks later.
Yeah, last time I played this game before jumping back in, this was the system they were using. I didn't like it. The new mod system is a lot more intuitive, satisfying, and scratches that collectible card itch. Probably one of the best changes to the game since it started.

I need to stock up on orokin cells (WTF Latron Prime, 10 cells!?)

Anyone up for doing some Derelicts this weekend?

I'm game. Derelicts would be good for the mutagen samples we need for clan research too. Maybe Gordon_Shumway would be down too? He and. i were trying to do some derelicts yesterday, but couldn't find any others to join us.

Pop

I hear everyone on the whole Damage 2.0 thing but I think its good. We always had different load outs for our WarFrames at least 3. Just make a load out for each faction. We can now swap while in the wait screen and if you target certain places lay say you always run a defense mission with infected just use your infected build.

I know its gonna take time but its not that bad. Most missions I have been playing are Grineer and im kinda happy all my puncture weapons work. But ill be making sepearte builds now for Infected/Grineer/Corpus soon and just swap on the fly.

Or you can actually make say your pistol for corpus, rifle for Grineer and Melee for Infected and spec that way.

Now I have a reason to use B and C

Loving the Damage 2.0. Only thing I noticed last night was that the tower runs are much harder now and I have no clue what's the corrupted weakness is. I didn't look for the information at all, just when I was running it last night, it took much more to kill them with my Boltor(Puncture). Before I could just blast through them.

And on another note, how badass is the Codex. Really digging that.

Double Edit: Anyone have any luck getting the Banshee helmet to drop? I've ran Xini for a week straight, no luck. Last part I need to build her.

I'm game. Derelicts would be good for the mutagen samples we need for clan research too. Maybe Gordon_Shumway would be down too? He and. i were trying to do some derelicts yesterday, but couldn't find any others to join us.

Cool - I'll be on later today and as much as humanly possible this weekend. I'll start building derelict keys. . .

Speaking of Derelicts, where do Corrupted fall in the new damage model?

AngerdX

will try and grind for a bit now, but ohh boy do i feel lost most of the time.

Only lvl 9 frame yet so not even past the second system yet.

Also got 2 void keys last 2 logins 1 t1 extermination and 1 t1 survival, now how hard are those to do, havn´t even tried one yet. :)

Murometz

Neo Member
Hey guys, so I've been putting this off for a bit, but can I please get a dojo invite?
So far I've been playing Warframe for just about 50 hrs. I'm starting my fourth Warframe tomorrow (before I decide on which to potato) and want to continue with the community I'm familiar with.
PSN: Murometz
Thanks all.

IvorB

This game is more like an RPG with shooter elements to me than it is a straight up shooter. I put $5 into it, so I can't really complain and I'm having fun.

Yeah it's much like an RPG from what I have seen. But the core gameplay seems to be shooting. If you don't like shooting I don't reckon you would dig it.

So you splashed some cash on this? I played for hours last night and can't afford anything. Is it realistic to expect to play for free and actually acquire stuff?

Mrcapcom

Yeah it's much like an RPG from what I have seen. But the core gameplay seems to be shooting. If you don't like shooting I don't reckon you would dig it.

So you splashed some cash on this? I played for hours last night and can't afford anything. Is it realistic to expect to play for free and actually acquire stuff?

Yea the stuff thats really worth buying would be the stuff you can't get without buying like the Orkin reactors the one for the frames/weapons. Cosmetic stuff colors and the scarfs. More Weapon and Frame slots. Other than that you can get everything on your own.

I spent 5 bucks and i had like 200 plat for the ps+ and pre order of warframe I got:
Colors
WarFrame/Weapon Slots (3 xtra slots and I think a extra row of weapons)
Reactor for Galtine and Rhino/Excalibur
Scarf

And I think that's about it ill end up putting some more cash in to buy the sentinel extra parts and some more warframe slots and weapon slots.

Having a ball with the game its easily worth 30 bucks or more especially if they keep coming out with more content

But having said all that I didnt have to buy that stuff maybe the frame and weapon slots but I didnt NEED them I just wanted them I actually have 5 frames now smh

AndyD

aka andydumi

It is.

I have spent no cash, nor the starting 200 platinum, and I have a handful of new weapons already and working on getting parts for a new frame. I think you just have to realize that unlike a regular full pay shooter where you will unlock every "class" and most weapons after 10-20 hours of playing, here you focus on 1-2 frames (classes) and improve those in that same amount of time if you don't wish to pay.

The game gets more fun once your weapons are a bit stronger and you get the hang of abilities. Mainly because missions are fast and you are always playing with others, so it's always different. It won't feel too much like a repetitive grind. At least not for me just yet. And I look forward to spending some money on this, but I am still trying to understand how everything works before I sink money and realize I made a mistake.

I did, but just because I thought I should given how much I enjoyed it.

Totally realistic to not spend money. Almost everything I got I earned, the stuff I bought was cosmetic.

It's really slow at first earning money. Once you get to a few alert missions and community events it's pretty easy though. You can easily unlock almost everything. Utilize the Clan chat and ask for some help. Most of us are happy to join up with you to help you get blueprints.

Codiox

thanks GAF for the help on the Operation Ananke CORPUS Invasion, but i still have no clue what this was about, there was something like a "battle-buy" with 75k credits when you finish this level 5 times...

i recommended this game for all PSO fans, it has really much in common with it. i think this is the reason i like it so much lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
thanks GAF for the help on the Operation Ananke CORPUS Invasion, but i still have no clue what this was about, there was something like a "battle-buy" with 75k credits when you finish this level 5 times...

i recommended this game for all PSO fans, it has really much in common with it. i think this is the reason i like it so much lol

I did that too last night. One time a high level guy was so strong and ahead of the rest of us that he ended up with 99% damage done and 97 taken. We were just trying to keep up.

You have it right, after finishing it five times you qualify for the payout. Then, after enough people do the missions (progress is on the main menu screen, on the bar), you'll get an ingame email from the corpus guy with your money. I'm assuming after a bit the event will progress to another objective that moves along the story, since this is the second "help this guy clear his ships" operation.

Think I read in some patch notes that when this event is done, top contributing clans will get a special statue for their dojo too.

molnizzle

Cool - I'll be on later today and as much as humanly possible this weekend. I'll start building derelict keys. . .

Speaking of Derelicts, where do Corrupted fall in the new damage model?

Well, Derelicts actually have normal enemies. It's only the Void that has "Corrupted."

Unless you're hunting for the corrupted mods. Once you open an Orokin Vault, there will in fact be Corrupted enemies in the Derelict. If you're not vault hunting then you'll never run into them though.

It plays better than it looks, though I will concede that if you are using a frame or weapons that don't fit you as a player, it is dramatically less enjoyable.

Yup, 100%. On the PC, I started as Mag, and wasn't loving it. I watched some frame overview videos, went "Hmm.. that Vauban guy looks interesting," and grabbed his frame on a lark. And then something clicked and I ended up loving the game.

It's really all about finding the powerset that compliments your playstyle.

Top Bottom