• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

relax, your stats aren't lost. Once you're able to log back in and retrieve your stats, you'll be re-promoted. You just have to fix your personalizations.

At launch, there were a ton of available servers. My guess is that they turned off a few because of the pending rolling blackouts and heatwave here in California. (Have you guys seen the lvl 3 servers lately?) The same situation was occurring when there was a beta, which is why I don't necessarily think Click is the best player, he was just good at finding ranked servers to record his mad mine skillz.

PleoMax and Mer whatever are the same people, and they were permabanned. Tough shit, you know the rules.

lunlunqq

The Take Out Bandit said:
God damn it

This shit is totally for the birds.

For a game that was allegedly designed for on-line play Incognito certainly dropped the god damned ball not including rudimentary features for easier clan gaming and quick start. Such a pain in the ass trying to play with my clan.

Find an open server! lol

Find a server that will stay up, not even SCEA servers are stable! lol

Jesus Christ Sony/Incognito.

I just paid $39.99 for these jackasses to kick me in the nuts.

This shit had better be addressed in our first game patch; or this game is getting panned when I get around to reviewing it.

yup, i actually think the core gameplay is wowsome. but there are so many little things (server issues, lobby system, stat lost, etc.)that they did get right make it so frustrating to play from time to time.

anyways, i'm just angry at my loss of stat now... i will go back to enjoy the game in 10 minutes...

the_id

Allready over 5050 posts?! amazing! I still think the clan functions in Warhawk needs to be improved. Incognito needs to fix it ASAP.

icechai

seems like the best way to play on ranked servers is to play ranked servers players hosted. Those seem accurate in the #s of spots available. Guess Sony is playing around or shutting off some of their servers :(

SRG01

Is there any way to make the text bigger? I'm playing on a 480i screen :)lol) and I can't read anything when I'm looking at the server list... :(

Uncle AJ

Sniping is so damn tough in this game... the targets are tiny, the max zoom-in seems too limited, and players never have a reason to stop moving. Figures that the machine gun has so much auto-aim at mid/long range that you almost don't even have to move the right stick, but you're lucky to accidentally shoot a guy in the foot with a sniper. :/

Maybe I should crouch more often. :p

acklame

I may have missed this, but I thought I read that it's possible to re-map the controls to different buttons? I can't seem to find a way to do that in options.

The Jer

I had fun tonight. But, I seriously need to get better at this game. There were so many times when I was just doing stupid crap. I suppose I'll stop doing stupid stuff quite as often as I play more.

I just picked up the game yesterday and have been playing a ton of it, just to get used to the controls.

Thus far, the gameplay is great, but there are a couple of things I'd like to see added:

- Lose the "Accept/Decline" User Agreement or make it something you agree to and it saves your choice. The game's online only, so we pretty much agreed to it when turning it on anyways, imho.

- Server option to "Save to Favorites" while inside the server. If it's there, I haven't seen it! (please don't flame if it's there, lol).

Other than that, I'd just like to see sooner stat updates. It seems to take a game or two for my stats to update sometimes.

If there's regular games going on, I'd like to join! PSN: DeejayKnight.

Kalren

Warhawk is a great game and has some great stand out features, but having played for 2 days now, I have to agree with the sentiment others have given. The server options are sparse. I can't seem to find an official server with on open slot. And what about some sort of quick play option? seems to be a given to have something like that.

I do love the gameplay, even though I am completely crappy at this game. I wasn't in the beta so hopefully I can gain some basic skills and more a couple of ranks.

It would also be nice to get some more people onto my buddies list.. so please send me a message.

PSN: Xostas

Kalren

DeejayKnight said:
- Server option to "Save to Favorites" while inside the server. If it's there, I haven't seen it! (please don't flame if it's there, lol).

That's a great idea, and something I have seen other games offer for a long time.

The Jer

There needs to be open mics or something. Or you should at least be able to talk openly to the people on your team that are near your location. Or something. I'm so used to being able to talk to my squad that I forgot I couldn't talk to anybody without pressing L3 multiple times. I'd at least like to be able to talk openly with people in the same vehicle as me.

dfyb

Banned
GAF, i'm curious how this is possible --

IMG_3308.JPG

this is my stat page. notice i'm a sergeant.

IMG_3307.JPG

this is a buddy's stat page. notice he's a chief sergeant. but i have more points than him...

and i do have the necessary award requirement: http://upload.dfyb.net/uploaded/IMG_3309.JPG

anyone know why he's higher ranked?

The Jer

I'm a chief sergeant. But, I haven't earned it, yet. I should be an airman (I haven't played alot, yet). I have under 500 total points, right now.

methane47

Click is fricking crazy in this game... the guy has some insane skills in the warhawks..

I can hold my own in a warhawk .. if its 1 on 1... as soon as its more than that.. I'm toast...

Nice playing with you guys though...

As of me logging off I'm ranked
.. :D :D :D

nofi

I'm not quoting anyone because this thread moves so fast, but I had some great games yesterday afternoon (about 18 hours back from this timestamp) with Steroyd and co. on the GAF practice server. I actually did pretty well in one match, came 3rd I think which is my highest so far.

The little deathmatch map we played was awesome, really intense. I love this game, despite it's little niggles (which will get patched, I'm sure) and having finally switched on Pro flight controls it's now even better. Playing alone on a LAN server really helps you learn the maps and stuff, something I've never really bothered doing in Battlefield etc.

Yixian

Banned
You can acheive ranks either via. points or awards, you guys got the awards.

But GRAAAH!! I should be a fucking Commander by now! WTF?! By chance I killed 25 people in a row and the Combat medal flashed up on the screen, and that gets you commander, but the fucking stats haven't updated, WTF? By points alone I am like, Wingman or something, anyway.

This is awesome.

My friend who was a 9 month 360 owner just returned his 360 to costco and snagged a PS3!

Why?

He played Warhawk.

He ditched GoW, GRAW, Topspin 2, Crackdown, and TDU to play Warhawk after like... 2 hours of playing it.

Awesome. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sadly, this doesnt compensate 3 friends of mine that just sold their PS3s after reading the HS and Lair scores.

I told them about Warhawk, but they just refuse to believe me when I say it's awesome. They dont dig the graphics style. They prefer the gritty look of games like Gears of War and Bioshock.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nofi said:
People do that?

Stupid ones, yes.

They say they will buy the system again when it goes 65nm, is bundled with the Sixaxis 2 and there are "actually good games out there to buy".

They are just been brainwashed buy what they read on the web. I even shared the Warhawk beta with them, but they didn't play much due to the freezes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
Stupid ones, yes.

They say they will buy the system again when it goes 65nm, is bundled with the Sixaxis 2 and there are "actually good games out there to buy".

No problem, just give better scores to Sony games, get the money hat and increase arbitrarily the number of PS3's in your household!

:D.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
"actually good games out there to buy".

IMHO, they are waiting for a PSP-style "homebrew...cough..cough" scene to pick up...

There are plenty of good games to play on PS3 (counting PSN as well).

nofi

Steroyd said:
I was just wondering out of the 2500 new members on Gaf... how many of them would want to join this clan? O_O

At least one, I hope - my friend might have been included in the 2500...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Panajev2001a said:
IMHO, they are waiting for a PSP-style "homebrew...cough..cough" scene to pick up...

There are plenty of good games to play on PS3 (counting PSN as well).

Yeah. No wonder they love their modeed 360s...

Oh well, three free slots in my Friends List.

Edit: they are also quite addicted to the GamerScore. They are keen to give even a poorly received 360 game a chance just to get a couple of points wheras on PS3 the game has to be AAA+++ for them to even think about playing it. If, say, HS or Lair were released on the 360, they would easly at least rent them. No so on the PS3. Bioshock? They got the 360 version for the GS.

God I hope those Sony Trophies are good.

Ashhong

this game rocks, although there are some stupid players. i called out for help returning the team flag in killthee's GAF server yeseterday, and this stupid guy, Kings07 or something, effing killed me so that he could be the one to return it.

i was doing pretty bad last night, was really pissing me off. the damn missile turrets and double teaming has got to stop...

mr stroke

One thing that drives me nuts with any online Sony games is NOBODY uses the Mic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn you Sony why didn't you pack in a mic with your 599 system????!!!!!XboxLive have always done this and its games show it(great online comunication community)... this is a great experence when I can find a server with an entire team using Mics, but I just don't understand how people can play a game like this with out one????

John_B

I had some killer sessions yesterday, but my stats did not update. I also had a nice run today, but my stats did not update.

I think I will put this game on hold, let me know when this game is functional. What a fucking disgrace.

cilonen

Have to bug out now, but man that was intense! I won a round, and took out a warhawk with a flamethrower :D

Great games guys, GAF is the only way to fly.

I think i also need to apologise to some dude I took out who had the flag, I was trying to get the warhawk off his back and he got caught in the melee. Took me ages to work back into positive points.

carlos

Nice game we had on gaf server a while ago, but no one on my side was using the mic :(

and yes click, you are awesome; while your style of play is surprisingly conservative, your skills are top notch....

One question though, is there a weapon that lets you destroy tanks, warhawks or turrets in one shot?

I ask because not to long ago on a sony server, an enemy camped high in some mountains above our base, but it was impossible to get to him; if you boarded a warhawk to fly up there, boom, you're dead! I boarded a tank, didn't manage to get a shot off before he blew me in one shot; same with turrets.... the guy was on foot, all I could see was that the weapon was very long....
Am I missing something here?

freshair

methane47 said:
Click is fricking crazy in this game... the guy has some insane skills in the warhawks..

I can hold my own in a warhawk .. if its 1 on 1... as soon as its more than that.. I'm toast...

Nice playing with you guys though...

As of me logging off I'm ranked
.. :D :D :D

Yeah, he is crazy. Always knowing where the TOW missiles are and launching them at the right time.

cilonen

Golvellius said:
Can I get an invite for euroclan? Id: Jadoku, GMT+1.
Thanks.

Clans are all messed up at the mo, and I think most GAF clans have hit the 'invite limit' glitch, GAFu (europe) has.

A bunch of us are on the roster (posted at the end of the first post of this thread - Killthee's really good at updating it) and just waiting 'till it gets sorted out.

Grayman

John_B said:
I had some killer sessions yesterday, but my stats did not update. I also had a nice run today, but my stats did not update.

I think I will put this game on hold, let me know when this game is functional. What a fucking disgrace.
The game is fully functional now. You just aren't getting pretty little ribbons.
carlos said:
Nice game we had on gaf server a while ago, but no one on my side was using the mic :(

and yes click, you are awesome; while your style of play is surprisingly conservative, your skills are top notch....

One question though, is there a weapon that lets you destroy tanks, warhawks or turrets in one shot?

I ask because not to long ago on a sony server, an enemy camped high in some mountains above our base, but it was impossible to get to him; if you boarded a warhawk to fly up there, boom, you're dead! I boarded a tank, didn't manage to get a shot off before he blew me in one shot; same with turrets.... the guy was on foot, all I could see was that the weapon was very long....
Am I missing something here?
TOW missile fired from a warhawk. It is a TV guided missile that you control from first person view and it can be manually detonated if you are off your target by a small amount

Raist

Banned
Ok, please use the other thread for everything clan / invites / servers related (dralla could you add the link to the OP ?)

You have all the infos there for the clans, and the thread will probably move way slower, so server and invites infos won't get drowned.

carlos

Grayman said:
TOW missile fired from a warhawk. It is a TV guided missile that you control from first person view and it can be manually detonated if you are off your target by a small amount

No, no, I'm fully aware of the tow missle, this guy was standing on the mountain, not riding a warhawk; you could see the barrel of his gun from ground level

It was like: boom, he kills me on the turret; respawn immediately at the same place and get into a warhawk BOOM DEAD again, respawn immediately, 3 seconds later I get in a tank, move the cursor a bit....BOOM dead again, I tried the warhawk one last time, got to around his height (saw that he had no warhawk there, and boom, there I went again)
I said screw this, I'm outta here....

That's the weird part, I know it wasn't a tow, there were no other enemies in the area (it was a large zones game)...all I can imagine is some type of glitch he exploited, or some weapon that I didn't know about...the little icon that showed up when he killed me was like a binocular (thats the only description I can give, and no its not the tow missle, I know that icon thanks to click ;p
(that little sequence above was the most frustrating seconds of ANY videogame for me) :(

Steroyd

carlos said:
No, no, I'm fully aware of the tow missle, this guy was standing on the mountain, not riding a warhawk;

It was like: boom, he kills me on the turret; respawn immediately at the same place and get into a warhawk BOOM DEAD again, respawn immediately, 3 seconds later I get in a tank, move the cursor a bit....BOOM dead again, I tried the warhawk one last time, got to around his height (saw that he had no warhawk there, and boom, there I went again)

That's the weird part, I know it wasn't a tow, there were no other enemies in the area (it was a large zones game)...all I can imagine is some type of glitch he exploited, or some weapon that I didn't know about...
(that little sequence above was the most frustrating seconds of ANY videogame for me) :(

People in those missile turrets are damn near invisible, it might of been that, because it's as frustrating as hell when you can't see where you're being shot from.

The only way to 'see' them is to lock on them using the missiles, but then by time you see them they're already fully locked on you, ESPECIALLY in Zone matches.

freshair

carlos said:
No, no, I'm fully aware of the tow missle, this guy was standing on the mountain, not riding a warhawk; you could see the barrel of his gun from ground level

That's the weird part, I know it wasn't a tow, there were no other enemies in the area (it was a large zones game)...all I can imagine is some type of glitch he exploited, or some weapon that I didn't know about...the little icon that showed up when he killed me was like a binocular (thats the only description I can give, and no its not the tow missle, I know that icon thanks to click ;p

Binoculars are used to call airstrikes. And they pretty much can destroy anything within a few seconds.

Ceb

freshair said:
Binoculars are used to call airstrikes. And they pretty much can destroy anything within a few seconds.

Hitting a warhawk with it though? I guess it's possible, but...

freshair

Ceb said:
Hitting a warhawk with it though? I guess it's possible, but...

Yeah, that's the odd part. Due to the constant movements of the warhawk I don't see how he could've destroyed it using airstrikes. :|

nofi

Steroyd said:
People in those missile turrets are damn near invisible, it might of been that, because it's as frustrating as hell when you can't see where you're being shot from.

I was on the other side just then (wouldn't let me switch) killing loads of GAF members with the rocket launcher. I think I got about 6 or 7 of you in one game.

And then I got team-killed by some French bloke, swapped sides and you'd all gone.

Ceb

The missile turrets can indeed be devastating. I sometimes get like 5 easy kills in a row during a lucky streak. You'll always have some targets from the one in the mid-map base on Badlands. It's also largely protected from warhawk sneak attacks due to the topography of that region.

Raist

Banned
Yesterday my hawk got shot down several times with ONE RPG rocket, but when I use it I always need two... wth ? :(

Defuser

GFAQS managed to cover alot:
Knife
Damage Scale
-One hit kill on infantry.
-Can only damage infantries, crates, and mines
-The Knife has auto target

Pistols
Damage Scale
-Only deals damage to infantries, crates, and mines (both ground and air)
-Highly inaccurate at long range
-While standing, it can hit anywhere within your reticule
-Crouching is drastically more accurate. It will hit targets on the dot.
-Has auto target

Assault Rifle
Damage Scale: Based on number of bullets it took to destroy
4x4 : ~155
Warhawk: ~90
-Does not damage tanks or turrets
-Very accurate long range. Will hit generally a millimeter radius around the center dot.
-While crouching, rivals the sniper rifle in accuracy. Will hit at exactly the center.
-Tapping the fire button to burst your bullets does NOT improve accuracy, contrary to many other FPS.

Sniper Rifle
Damage Scale: Based on number of bullets it took to destroy a target
4x4 : 4
Warhawk : 3
Infantry : 1
-Does not damage tanks or turrets
-Difference between accuracy while standing and crouching is minimal
-Does not zoom in from 3rd person target. Say, while in 3rd person, you placed the dot on an infantry's head. When you zoom in, the crosshair will be on his body.

Flamethrower
Damage Scale: Based on the ammo value it took to destroy a target
4x4 : ~12
Warhawk : ~15
Tank : ~10
Turrets : ~18
-Has a pretty long range
-Has limited auto target
-You can never directly hurt yourself with a Flamethrower.

Grenades
Damage Scale: Only applies to direct hits.
Infantry : 1
4x4 : 3. Two will leave a 4x4 with very little health left.
Turret : 4
Tank : 7
Warhawk : 2
-Seems to have the same blast radius as the Rocket Launcher.

Rocket Launcher
4x4 : 2
Turret : 2
Tank : 4
Warhawk : 2
-Blast radius is smaller than most other games. Seems to be the same as a Grenade.
-Faster than all other missiles, but doesn't follow target as well.

Proximity Mine
Damage Scale
Tanks : 2
Everything else : 1
-Attach to the vehicle your driving to kamikaze things!

Tanks
4x4 : 2
Turret : 2
Tank : 3
Warhawk : 1
-Tanks don't feel as heavy as they are suppose to be.
-This "floaty-ness" can be exploited by Warhawks for some great laughs! Details below.

4x4
Damage Scale: Based on the machine gun attachment.
-Accuracy is about the same as a pistol
4x4 : ~40
Turret :~ 40
Tank :~ 80
Warhawk : ~43
-Tapping the fire button to burst your bullets does NOT improve accuracy

Machine Gun
Damage Scale: Based on the number of times I tapped the fire button. Each tap fired two shots.
4x4 : ~27 / ~54 shots
Turret : ~26 / ~52 shots
Tank : ~32 / ~64 shots
Warhawk : ~25 / ~50 shots
-The Machine Gun's damage seems uneven. Tapping the fire button doesn't match the actual damage done by holding it down.
-Could not destroy Warhawks before overheating.
-Could destroy everything else before overheating.
-Could not have been accuracy, test was done with Warhawk on the ground right next to the target.
-Very accurate. Can hit anywhere within the machine gun's targeting circle.
-May be better to tap the fire button than holding it down.
-If you tap, you will never overheat, or your fingers will tire before it overheats.

Swarm Missiles
Damage Scale: Did not lock in. Fired one at a time.
4x4 : 6
Turret : 6
Tank : 10
Warhawk : 8
-Weapon target multiple targets if they are within your reticule and range.

Homing Missile
Damage Scale: Homing Missiles destroyed all targets in two hits. Scale is based on how much health is left after one missile.
4x4 : ~2/3
Turret : ~2/3
Tank : 1/2
Warhawk : ~2/3
-These and the Missile Turrets have the best tracking.

Lightning Gun
Damage Scale: Based on individual shots.
4x4 : 8
Turret : 8
Tank : 20
Warhawk : 10
-Fully charged shot does damage over time to the targeted area.
Damage Scale: Based on remaining health after hitting it with a fully charged shot.
4x4 : ~1/4 health left
Turret : ~1/4 health left
Tank : ~1/2 health left
Warhawk : ~1%. Enough to be destroyed by one machine gun shot.
-Directly hitting an infantry with a fully charged shot, can send him flying very far. This is the only weapon in the game to do that.

Cluster Bomb
-Was to difficult to test
-Has a wide area damage
-Single bombs do about the same damage as grenade.
-Very small blast radius for each individual bombs. Small enough to leave safe areas between each bomb's explosion.
-In my opinion, the weakest weapon in the game.

TOW Missile
Damage Scale. Based on number of hits it took to destroy a target.
Everything : 1
-Would be the most powerful weapon in the game if it let you used the map while steering it...
-Hitting something headon at full speed with your Warhawk will do 1/3 of your health. Doesn't matter if you used the thruster or not.
-The co-pilot on your Warhawk can see the FULL radar. This shows everyone on the map, friends and foes!
-When dogfighting someone with full health, start off by firing ONE swarm missile. This will usually bait them to use up their chaffe. After that, go all out.
-Or be a man and use your machine gun and thruster to get close enough that they won't have time to chaffe.
-L2 + R2 to do sharper turns. I don't know the technical name for the maneuver =(
-You can place infantry on the Warhawk's wings and fly around with them there. They can fall off though. And don't fly over water, or they'll die.

Warhawks And Tanks; aka It looks like they're having sex
-As mentioned before, the game's floaty physics allow for some quite interesting ways to combat the enemy.
-The Warhawk can actually knock 4x4 and Tanks on their backs by ramming into them headon while hugging the ground.
-While hugging the ground, you can tuck under a tank's turret and then ascend to quickly flip over a tank.
-You can use this to help teammates who got their tanks stuck on sandbags.
OR
-Use this to completely piss off the other team. Flip the tank over on it's back and keep flipping him over and over again.
-Flip him on his back, than land on it to pin it down. While the both of you are struggling, it looks like Starscream and Brawl are having sex.
-Why fire at the flag carrier when you can flip over his 4x4!
-Tank is killing everyone. Flip his ass over and make him blow himself up.

Top Bottom