• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I'm trying to get into GAFn (SonyID: SuperDeanio) - but V's box is full, can anyone yell at him for me?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
DrEvil said:
I'm trying to get into GAFn (SonyID: SuperDeanio) - but V's box is full, can anyone yell at him for me?

djkimothy said:
I'm getting the same problem. Add me!!!

Plus, i can't log into PSN now. :(

I believe Varshes can't send any more invites until Incog patches the invite bug. You guys can either wait till Incog patches the game or one of you can create a GAFn II clan in game with a GAFn tag and start inviting the uninvited half of GAFn. When Incog patches the game disband GAFn II and wait for Varshes to invite you to GAFn.

icechai

[CFD] El Capitan said:
Wow...so this game is awesome but we need a Party system like resist. Trying to play with friends over the weekend was completely retarded and or impossible. Not to mention the server issues over the weeknd.

nah, they just need to fix the number count on servers. PC games don't really need party systems to play together, also the GAF servers can just kick people to make room :)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Stop trying to login then, you're slowing my download! :p

(84%)

icechai

yeah, i was driving the flag carrier back to base in Eucadia and we were more 2/3 of the way there when PS3 freezes, and now network timeout errors when try to login. Maybe they're trying to update/fix the servers :)

Firewire

Banned
icechai said:
yeah, i was driving the flag carrier back to base in Eucadia and we were more 2/3 of the way there when PS3 freezes, and now network timeout errors when try to login. Maybe they're trying to update/fix the servers :)

we hope!

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
icechai said:
PC games don't really need party systems to play together

I see your point...and i raise you...PS3 != PC. :D
I mean seriously....consoles are supposed to be easier to use than a PC no?

icechai said:
also the GAF servers can just kick people to make room :)

:lol True....

Yixian

Banned
kaching said:
If support is doing their job well, then they there should be a fair number of opportunities for them to score points - no just killing enemies but also picking up the flag and continuing to base if the previous carrier bites it. Support is also more of a rotating role, allowing one to score points based on both offensive and defensive opportunities.

This is true but 9 times out of 10, the flag is dropped before it ever leaves the base, so defense are the ones to get the 10 points.

Most of supports points come from kills, which is currently only 1 point a piece.

I don't know how you'd fix it, but I definitely think that support have the hardest time getting points.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking defense, I'm just saying their job isn't 2x as hard as attack by any means, so I don't understand why they get 2x the points.

In terms of combat Warhawk is superbly balanced, but in terms of points during team games, it needs some tuning.

icechai

Yixian said:
This is true but 9 times out of 10, the flag is dropped before it ever leaves the base, so defense are the ones to get the 10 points.

Most of supports points come from kills, which is currently only 1 point a piece.

I don't know how you'd fix it, but I definitely think that support have the hardest time getting points.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking defense, I'm just saying their job isn't 2x as hard as attack by any means, so I don't understand why they get 2x the points.

In terms of combat Warhawk is superbly balanced, but in terms of points during team games, it needs some tuning.

another issue i'd like to raise is DRIVERS NEED POINTS :) I'm pretty good at sneaking in base and as soon as the flag is taken, I take that jeep and honk my horn and off we go. What do I get besides the adrenaline rush and GT5 practice?? no points, nothing, except the occasional road kill >:)

Greg

TTP said:
Nice! Had my first crash today since I bought the game! Thank you 1.92!
Eh, I don't think the patch did anything, it was just a matter of time before it happened to you.

The minute I joined a player created server for the first time, I crashed instantly - thoughts of the beta came rushing back and I just kept the system off for the rest of the day. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Greg said:
Eh, I don't think the patch did anything, it was just a matter of time before it happened to you.

ehehe, I know. was just being smartass.

The minute I joined a player created server for the first time, I crashed instantly - thoughts of the beta came rushing back and I just kept the system off for the rest of the day. :lol

Me too :lol. After the crash, I didnt attempt to join another game. Just left the system turned off.

icechai

aww the crashes aren't too bad, i've had 3 happen total and 2 of those times the server said it was their fault b/c the server went down.

methane47

Yixian said:

If the flag never left the base I would agree with you... But as soon as the flag leaves the base Defense gets so much harder.. and it just gets harder and harder the closer the flag gets to the opposing base..

Eucadia and island Outpost are the worst offenders of this...

Greg

Am I the only one who doesn't play this as a team game?

I don't get chances to play that often, so when I do, I'm just doing my own thing - most likely on the top a cliff somewhere shooting down at people with the tank. :lol

I'm sure all of that will change in time when I eventually get tired of messing around with the individual mechanics of the game, but for now, teamwork just doesn't come naturally for a lot of people and it leads to some stressful games if you are trying to play seriously for a team.

djkimothy

Wow, if it wasn't for the timeout errors, game crashing or PSN login errors, this would be a fun game to play...

And what's this about clan invite bugs?

Firewire

Banned
Greg said:
Am I the only one who doesn't play this as a team game?

I don't get chances to play that often, so when I do, I'm just doing my own thing - most likely on the top a cliff somewhere shooting down at people with the tank. :lol

I'm sure all of that will change in time when I eventually get tired of messing around with the individual mechanics of the game, but for now, teamwork just doesn't come naturally for a lot of people and it leads to some stressful games if you are trying to play seriously for a team.

This is why I'm playing TDM Dog Fights exclusively right now. I was playing a CTF game last week, and the teamwork we had going was great, till 1 or 2 people started ruining everything.
I'll wait for the clans to get set up properly before I attempt matches that require teamwork.

kanugo

Defuser said:
I'm really really piss my stats aren't updating,am I gonna be stuck sergeant forever?
My situation is worst. Stuck with zero at all stats. No ribbons, and, still a recruit.

The Chef

balliinn said:
what's wrong with it? mine (came with the game) is working great.

I'm used to playing Rainbow 6 Vegas and the voice chat on that game is amazingly clear. Sounds like your just using a phone. But man when I'm playing Warhawk I cant even decipher my friends voices. They all sound terrible. I end up just turning my headset off every time I play.

Is this how it is for everyone?

spwolf

The Chef said:
I'm used to playing Rainbow 6 Vegas and the voice chat on that game is amazingly clear. Sounds like your just using a phone. But man when I'm playing Warhawk I cant even decipher my friends voices. They all sound terrible. I end up just turning my headset off every time I play.

official servers or? I hear ppl just fine on official servers...

The Chef

spwolf said:
official servers or? I hear ppl just fine on official servers...

well on the times where I actually get on an official server I haven't noticed it being any different but I will see if thats what it is.

Firewire

Banned
The Chef said:

Mine was bad the first two days, but has been excellent since. Every once in a while I get a bit of static but thats it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Who needs a mic when you have the horn? :lol

I love it :D

I've also noticed that for most of the time communication is not really necessary thanks to the good on-screen messaging and other visual cues. I mean, if you end up playing with good players, you dont really need to tell anybody which zones to get/defend or stuff like that. I think the most useful use of the mic wqould be coordinating attacks to the enemy base to get the flag, but other than that I kinda have this feeling everyone does what you expect them to do. Again, if you are in a good team.

Yixian

Banned
icechai said:
another issue i'd like to raise is DRIVERS NEED POINTS :) I'm pretty good at sneaking in base and as soon as the flag is taken, I take that jeep and honk my horn and off we go. What do I get besides the adrenaline rush and GT5 practice?? no points, nothing, except the occasional road kill >:)

Good point. It's tough finding ways to award those sorts of things, but they shouldn't be lazy and should come up with some interesting solutions.

TTP said:

I play the Marseillaise when coming home to base with the flag. Fucking glorious.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The Take Out Bandit said:
Make sure you update your system firmware.

I was getting network errors last night until I updated. True story.
One would think this were obvious, but alas here we are.

calder

In general, I find the voices very clear. I have trouble with some mush-mouthed accents, but other than the occasional person who's mic is just really messed up they seem fine.

I think teamwork in general is growing in the ranked servers at least. Not a lot of true coordination in the PUG matches but at least ppl are pairing up when appropriate. It is damn annoying at times when it doesn't happen, but I tend to assume it's because ppl aren't aware of how to help most effectively. But wow, in one match on the weekend this guy and I snatched a flag in Eucadia and hopped in a jeep slick as can be only to be hounded by 2 or 3 enemy warhawks the ENTIRE WAY. I managed to kill one who hovered too close with the machine gun, and the driver with the flag was a great driver and picked up like 3 vehicle repair pickups to keep us going (we also successfully bailed on a burning jeep and jumped into a fresh one without missing a beat), but after a solid 4 minutes of us being shoot up by 2 enemies I finally yelled "help cover us dammit" to our team, 3 of whom were in Warhawks themselves pissing around on the other end of the map doing god knows what. It would have been 2 easy kills for them if they'd helped at all as the enemy 'hawks were completely ignoring everything but us, but instead we died like dogs in the bloody dust of the road a few meters from the bridge to our base. Game ended in a 0-0 tie, which really sucked.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
djkimothy said:
Wow, if it wasn't for the timeout errors, game crashing or PSN login errors, this would be a fun game to play...

And what's this about clan invite bugs?

After sending out around 30 invites the game gives you an error when sending any more invites.

Greg

TTP said:

I've also noticed that for most of the time communication is not really necessary thanks to the good on-screen messaging and other visual cues. I mean, if you end up playing with good players, you dont really need to tell anybody which zones to get/defend or stuff like that. I think the most useful use of the mic wqould be coordinating attacks to the enemy base to get the flag, but other than that I kinda have this feeling everyone does what you expect them to do. Again, if you are in a good team.
Yeah, I definitely agree with that - the interface pretty much informs you on everything you need to know - you just have to rely on the common sense of others to figure that out. :lol

What I was thinking would be interesting - a 'Hardcore CTF' mode...

There would be no indication that your flag was taken, and no indication as to who actually has the flag. Could you imagine how fun that would be if you never had to check your map and just relied on solid information from teamates? You'd have to specify to your teamates the direction the flag was headed, the type of transportation they are using - all the way down to their location within that specific vehicle. (On the turret, passenger seat, etc.)

The game is essentially one big battle, but the fun comes from the fact that there are so many individual and unique moments happening all the time - that mode would just add to that.

I'm in the same boat as djkimothy and DrEvil where GAFn is concerned. If you guys start GAFnII, by all means send me a PM heads up so I can join. My PSN ID is Tyrion, and I was the last guy to make it on the list for the clan before all the slots were spoken for.

CaptWinky

calder said:
In general, I find the voices very clear. I have trouble with some mush-mouthed accents, but other than the occasional person who's mic is just really messed up they seem fine.

I think teamwork in general is growing in the ranked servers at least. Not a lot of true coordination in the PUG matches but at least ppl are pairing up when appropriate. It is damn annoying at times when it doesn't happen, but I tend to assume it's because ppl aren't aware of how to help most effectively. But wow, in one match on the weekend this guy and I snatched a flag in Eucadia and hopped in a jeep slick as can be only to be hounded by 2 or 3 enemy warhawks the ENTIRE WAY. I managed to kill one who hovered too close with the machine gun, and the driver with the flag was a great driver and picked up like 3 vehicle repair pickups to keep us going (we also successfully bailed on a burning jeep and jumped into a fresh one without missing a beat), but after a solid 4 minutes of us being shoot up by 2 enemies I finally yelled "help cover us dammit" to our team, 3 of whom were in Warhawks themselves pissing around on the other end of the map doing god knows what. It would have been 2 easy kills for them if they'd helped at all as the enemy 'hawks were completely ignoring everything but us, but instead we died like dogs in the bloody dust of the road a few meters from the bridge to our base. Game ended in a 0-0 tie, which really sucked.

what's your psn?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yixian said:
Your estimate of how often the flag gets outside of the base is very skewed based on my experience. I'm not even sure why you think that matters - support just has to touch the flag and they get 5 pts and reset the clock for flag return. Smart teams keep a steady stream of people moving toward the opponent's flag at all times, so the chance that their opponent can easily return the flag to base is severely reduced. This also renders the distinction between who's "attacking" and who's "supporting" much more fuzzy since the role will constantly shift, depending on how the situation evolves.

Because the scoring has nothing to do with the job of the player, it just has to do with the difficulty of the act itself. It doesn't matter what a player does to get in a position to either take the opponent's flag or defend their own for return, the actual, direct act of taking the flag is easier than returning a flag. Considering that it takes much more than 2x as long for a flag returner to have a chance at getting 2x the points of a flag taker, there's just no way this is badly weighed against offense.

Glad the server problem is fixed :)
So far, no disconnects and no "Room Full" nonsense...

EDIT: from other's responses... maybe not :/

But its working fine for me... (played around 10 games so far and 5 different rooms).

Jim

shagg_187 said:
Glad the server problem is fixed :)
So far, no disconnects and no "Room Full" nonsense...

Are the friggen stats working yet? No stats, no play for me. Last night I had to play Lair instead...

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i actually lost a game and 2 days later it updated my stats, was my first game and still i leveled up and got new skins for my warhawks/charactar :lol

Top Bottom