• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

icechai

Victrix said:
ah, that'd go a long way towards creating chokepoints

are the node layouts different in ctf/other modes? I only played zone

also, what's with the 'mini spawns' near main nodes? are they just periphreal spawn points available once that node is held by your team?

I think the layouts are always the same in all modes, there are 8 different types of layouts for each map I believe. Different layouts also have different weapon spawns.

yes, the mini spawns are available once you capture a node, most nodes have 1 mini spawn except your base which has 2 usually I think.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Where can you see your total points? Because I'm a "Wingman," which says you need 5000 points. When I go to my Overview screen, it says "265 points" for my total. What's the deal?

BIG BUBBA said:
Where can you see your total points? Because I'm a "Wingman," which says you need 5000 points. When I go to my Overview screen, it says "265 points" for my total. What's the deal?

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised too when I saw that I had advanced to a Wingman too today when I logged in since I had so few points. So we just need either the points or the badge/medal, etc. requirement that is listed for the ranks, not both? That would be great if true, it would take me a hella long time to accumulate the points required otherwise. :D

dralla

god damnit. just played about 8-10 games, averages about a 6 K/D ratio and my game freezes. is it not going to record all the game I just played

spwolf

dralla said:
god damnit. just played about 8-10 games, averages about a 6 K/D ratio and my game freezes. is it not going to record all the game I just played

yes it will, stats are server based and sent after each game...

I had my best run since my 11k/0d game.

CTF, 174pts. 21k/7d w0000000t!

Man, it pisses me off watching people throw good mines on the ground / floor. No creativity, no art. >:|

Miguel

:lol
I try hiding mines in weird places. I flipped over a jeep once, got out, and stuck it on the bottom, then ran away, and sat with a sniper scope watching the jeep. Enemy takes the flag, gets a bit away, jumps in the jeep...BAM. :lol

Good times.

Also, placing mines where the enemy won't see them until it's way too late. (Near a flag, on a post facing inward from where they're going to be coming from.

Then there's always the option of non-suicide car bombing. Thanks for the heads up Wasabi :lol

Miguel

Knife kills ftw.

It's the only way I can take manky down.

I have to hide from his warhawks long enough to lure him out...then I have a chance.

The Take Out Bandit said:
I had my best run since my 11k/0d game.

CTF, 174pts. 21k/7d w0000000t!

Man, it pisses me off watching people throw good mines on the ground / floor. No creativity, no art. >:|

How about high on a tunnel wall and luring a Warhawk in there. I pulled it off last night, pretty sweet. I once mined the inside walls of one of the small bases, got kicked for too many TK's. Idiots.

User 406

Banned
Victrix said:
I don't like the utter lack of coordination on pub games. I spent one match doing nothing but sitting next to control points deep in enemy territory uncapping them. At one point I uncapped their base to level 1, and the only node they controlled was the 'front line' right outside our base, after I'd uncapped all the rest of their nodes. And this was in one of my first games! I wound up scoring top for my team o_O

Yeah, it can be like that. There are good public games to be found, you just have to dig a little. If at least 3 or 4 people on a team are actively communicating (and not just OH SHIT I'M AT SOME IRRELEVANT BASE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP AND THERE'S A SINGLE GUY SHOOTING AT ME I NEED AIR SUPPORT NOW NOW NOW) then you can get a good string of games. This possibility seems to be higher if you have more gaffers in the game.

I don't like the horrendously cluttered minimap. I suspect I'll get used to it with more playtime. I just felt really confused at first, trying to figure out where the nearest node was (playing Zones). I had to constantly bring up the full map to figure out which way to go. Later, I wound up using it as early warning if I felt like defending a node in a turret to spot incoming warhawks early (usually pointless, since I'd defend one node and we'd lose the rest while my teammates did... something)

Yeah, you get used to it and eventually you'll be able to read it pretty easily. It also helps when you've been around the terrain a few times and you can match actual features to what's on the map.

Is it just me, or are the maps large even for 24 players? I counted 9 nodes on one map, that's not quite 3 players per node at most, which means 1v1 or 1v2 fights (at least in Zone, where it doesn't seem to make any sense but to constantly push on uncaptured nodes, rather than defending your own).

I suppose in an organized game you could just go for a majority, and actually play defense, but even holding 6 nodes is 2 players per, which won't resist a real push, and even 5 nodes is still a very marginal point lead, with 3 players at (presumably) the two forward nodes.

Games can go up to 32 players on the large maps, and as someone else pointed out, you can play on smaller submaps. But with a real organized game on a good team, if you capture most of the zones/spawn points, then the main battle focuses on the remaining enemy territories, and you don't really need people actively guarding every zone. After all, in a warhawk you can get anywhere on the map in seconds. As long as you've got people clueful enough to keep checking their map and noticing if some sneaky guy has gotten into the backfield near them, it's not a big problem.

Conversely, if you do want to defend your backfield zones, one man can be effective for one or two zones, since even if he gets killed, he gets the respawn advantage. Taking a backfield level 3 zone down against determined guerilla opposition can be tough if he knows what he's doing.

edit: reading back through the thread a bit, the amount of stat whining amazes me. people really care that much about epeen stat tracking?

Apparently so. :/ Personally, I'd love this game if it didn't track a single damn thing.

(Although I really do enjoy the ribbon requirements.)

the only reason i care at all about stats is so i can unlock costumes and paint schemes. i wish the game recorded client side stats just for those kinds of things and left the stat whores fight over the leaderboards

Avellon

Bandit 4x4 must be the hardest badge ever.

I have most of the badge requirement already for most of the ranks after Wing Leader, but Bandit 4x4 is really tough. Even if I just spend most of a map in a jeep trying to run over people it usually ends up with me getting blown up, as most people are able to jump out of the way and the jeep doesn't turn that quick when going fast.

Any suggestions for getting this badge?

S. L.

Avellon said:

I have most of the badge requirement already for most of the ranks after Wing Leader, but Bandit 4x4 is really tough. Even if I just spend most of a map in a jeep trying to run over people it usually ends up with me getting blown up, as most people are able to jump out of the way and the jeep doesn't turn that quick when going fast.

play CTF on Archipego
drive the map up and down near the enemy spwan points with the 4x4 and you EASILY get that badge.

Baker

Banned
onadesertedisland said:
the only reason i care at all about stats is so i can unlock costumes and paint schemes. i wish the game recorded client side stats just for those kinds of things and left the stat whores fight over the leaderboards

Yeah. I could care less what my K/D ratio was. However, if there are costumes to be unlocked, I want the damn stats to track.

And double yeah, it sucks not playing with at least a couple gaffers in the room. I was playing on an SCEA TDM server last night and had some teammate that for THREE straight matches just kept asking if his buddy could hear him. "Dude Noah jump if you can hear me" "Dude Noah commit suicide and meet up at checkpoint 3." "Dude suicide and meet up." "Can you hear me?"

For THREE fucking matches.

The worst part is we lost every game like 100-98, so if that douche would have just got two kills in ten minutes we would have been fine.

User 406

Banned
Avellon said:

Deathmatch.

Baker

Banned
Avellon said:
Even if I just spend most of a map in a jeep trying to run over people it usually ends up with me getting blown up, as most people are able to jump out of the way and the jeep doesn't turn that quick when going fast.

You can power slide too by holding the brake and gas at the same time.

It just takes a little practice to keep the momentum going so you have enough speed to still kill the enemy when you run 'em over.

DustinC

Just picked this up today, if anyone wants to add me or whatever my PSN is Deathrawk.

I'll be getting killed for the majority of the day.

h3ro

I don't think the matchmaking/clan/party system is going to get any better guys.

With all the rumored problems at Incognito in terms of staff, etc and the problems they're having the game as it is now to work right, I really doubt they're going to be able to add features or overhaul the matchmaking/server system.

What do you guys think?

Raist

Banned
Steroyd said:
My little sister and Cousin were pissing me off.

They still are. >_<

Ah sucks

and your dog ate your homeworks ? :p

A party system would sure be nice, but I'm sure we could get a little bit more organized.

We also need someone hosting a ranked serv
where is TTP ? :eek:

Greg

Raist said:
Ah sucks

A party system would sure be nice, but I'm sure we could get a little bit more organized.

I'd do it, but my connection only allows for 8 people - maybe tomorrow I can set something up, as I usually can't play until really late anyways.

Steroyd

Raist said:
Ah sucks

They wouldn't shut up.

Yeah it looks like we rely on TTP too much he's not there and then we have no servers.

My connection only allows 12 people btw. :/

spwolf

h3ro said:
I don't think the matchmaking/clan/party system is going to get any better guys.

With all the rumored problems at Incognito in terms of staff, etc and the problems they're having the game as it is now to work right, I really doubt they're going to be able to add features or overhaul the matchmaking/server system.

What do you guys think?

its bullshit... lot of the staff leaving happened 8 months ago. In that time, beta and then final game have been completed.

Incog has complete Santa Monica staff behind them, I wouldnt expect anything but great support from them.

and p.s. if you are PC gamer, their system is awesome. We need no matchmaking.

Raist

Banned
Steroyd said:
They wouldn't shut up.

Yeah it looks like we rely on TTP too much he's not there and then we have no servers.

Well, personnally I don't care too much about stats but I know some people do. So either we have to rely on TTP who can set up a ranked serv and play at the same time (and he also can host a good number of players) or we just make a player pass locked serv. I can only host 12pl. max as well, but I think it should be enough. I didn't see more than 6-8 GAFu players while I was on.

h3ro

spwolf said:
its bullshit... lot of the staff leaving happened 8 months ago. In that time, beta and then final game have been completed.

Incog has complete Santa Monica staff behind them, I wouldnt expect anything but great support from them.

and p.s. if you are PC gamer, their system is awesome. We need no matchmaking.

Yeah, I agree that they should be able to support and develop for the system by now. Dylan Jobe has been great about addressing the issues so far. I think we forget that the game has only been out for about two and a half weeks.

As for PC gaming, while I'm sure the PC gaming crowd love scrolling through a list of a thousand servers to find a match, I'd rather set my parameters and have the game find me one. Everyone has their own preferences.

A party system is a must though. I'm tired of playing with these team killing, point whoring asswipes. Rolling in a party with a few GAFers would make the experience a lot better and enjoyable IMO.
For all the hate Halo 2 gets, it's multiplayer system was spot on. The lobby, clan and messaging system were great and made setting up a game with your friends effortless. Too bad the game was ruined by 12 year olds and their cracking voices.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Steroyd said:
They wouldn't shut up.

I'd love to host but I'm getting a network error now :/

Top Bottom