• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Ceb

Captain Glanton said:
I wish that Incog hadn't fucked up the clan system utterly, because this game's a lot of fun when you aren't playing with teamkilling assholes.

No kidding. I've been lucky up until now, but last night I encountered some TKing scum. One guy rammed my jeep off a cliff into the water when I was close to bringing the enemy flag to our base. At least he didn't get to claim the flag for himself...

I was going for the Warhawk Aerial Gunnery ribbon before logging off last night, but unfortunately Carlos made my life difficult. :D Managed to get it on a SCEE server afterwards though.

carlos

As for the strategy mentioned by sea manky (staying at their base in a zones game), my problem with it is that after taking the zone level down to 1 (the lowest it can get) you don't get any futher points if you stay there to keep it from rising.

The second you leave from the base it starts rising again, so for it to be a good strategy team wise, one has to stay there as long as possible to keep it at one; it can get pretty boring if the other team doesn't notice, and you're just standing there for minutes, getting no points, while you're doing something beneficial for the team.

edit: ah, ceb/arkestra, sorry about that, I usually don't want to target someone (especially fellow gaffers), but once I get someone in my sights, I follow through until the end, whether I take him down or I'm shot from behind by someone else.
(I will however, make a note of your name if you take an item I was aiming for or if you take me down in the middle of a kill ;)

Ceb

carlos said:
As for the strategy mentioned by sea manky (staying at their base in a zones game), my problem with it is that after taking the zone level down to 1 (the lowest it can get) you don't get any futher points if you stay there to keep it from rising.

I think that's a bit of an odd design decision. I guess it's to prevent groups of people from camping at the enemy base...? Even though that would just leave the rest of the zones open for the enemy.

I've held down the enemy base's zone at level 1 a lot, and yeah, I would've liked something for it... if not points, then at least a ribbon.

I hate this game. . .

I just spent another five hours playing it! >:p

So addictive.

Yeah, I've also noticed an outbreak of TK'ing assholes. Like if you take a weapon they want; they knife you and take it. :\

Would be nice if they implemented a player vote system like SOCOM.

Yeah, people don't know how to play Zones or CTF. It's like everybody else that bought this game has the random join feature I wanted, but don't have; and they always magically end up in a CTF/Zones game when their monkey asses should be in a god damn deathmatch game. >:|

I'm also sick of morons grabbing shit they don't use.

Mines are a prime example. They hold onto them like they're million dollar bills.

And then when they do use them, their stupid monkey asses deploy them all in a tight cluster so one grenade can detonate all four.

Use mines like Johns use your mother - spread 'em! >:O

AUGH!

I also need a numeric entry pad for my WArhawk. I was manning a turret to take the wind out of our attackers air friendly sails, and I had a Warhawk with a guided missile parked behind me for when someone captured the flag. It was pretty dinged up and one good shot would take it out. So what happens? Some tool jacks it and doesn't even f*cking bother to check the payload.

HEY ASSFACE!

You could have totally hung back and used the remote guidance system to take out the flag carrier.

AUGH!!!

Steroyd

Yesturday was cool until people started leaving. :/

It was to a point where I think I was CTF'ing on my own against TTP and someone else from GAF, I was fighting a losing battle.

SaitoH

Mifune said:
How do you know if you're selecting a ranked server.

I played in some random games, including one I thought for sure was ranked, but when I go to the community page, no stats.

What gives.

Look for the first icon on the left side. If it has an X through it, it's not a ranked server. Stats can take a little while to update.

Cedeo

Just joined this awesome party because I ordered it with the Jabra headset and I live in Euro, I can join the EU Clan now!

PSN: Cedeo

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up a Jabra BT125 cheap, so look forward to my incoherent British rantings soon :p

I think TKing should see some much harsher penalties, like demotion for repeat offenders, it would also promote much more tactical play. Base it on the team damage stat, rather than team kills and you'd soon see less of it online IMO.

Steroyd

Bearillusion said:
The trouble with these ranking issues is that I can't enter certain games because it says my rank is too high.

It's best to use the filter now and pick "My Rank".

What do people gain TK'ing people who recover the flag with you I don't understand that there's no stats to gain. :/

Yeah, some good games played. I would have played longer last night but my mic died and I really needed some sleep. I was going to quit a game earlier but I just can't resist a good dogfight. I did pretty well too, eh Sea Manky? ;P Didn't even rely on mines all that much, and Destroyed Capital is a good map for mines.

I honestly got a bit worried when I saw you had switched teams though, as usually you're all over me, but TTP and I just seemed unstoppable, don't even know how many times he got someone off my tail. I do think we need to start communicating more in dogfights though, flying together can have a devastating effect. It just never occurs for me to call for back-up when in a Warhawk.

Anyway, I'll be on later tonight, probably around 7-7.30pm(GMT).

User 406

Banned
carlos said:
As for the strategy mentioned by sea manky (staying at their base in a zones game)

Um, that's not what I did. I took the zone closest to their base. So it belonged to our team while I was holding it. I was going for 20 zone defends after all. :p

It's too bad that ranked servers are limited to 5 second respawn limits. I'd really like to see a deathmatch server with a big respawn timer and 8 players. Currently, all the deathmatch stuff I've seen has been spazzy respawn where everyone else is and just cause as much damage as possible before you're inevitably killed. I've been enjoying that, but I want to see something more sneaky too. I think if the respawn was 20 seconds, it would make people value their lives more and not just charge at everyone.

freethought: Yeah, you guys had me cold in that dogfight. I'd get a target, then both of you would converge on me, and while I can handle two of your average Ace Combat fans in a dogfight, two real pilots using their heads is a different story. I have enough trouble with you one on one. :p

And YOU were worried when I was forced to switch teams? I was worried! XP

FF_VIII

Banned
Good CTF earlier :D

Still relatively new to this game, so I died alot, but I managed to kill some people and even some of my teammates!

User 406

Banned
ARRRRGGHHHHHH!

In a couple games today I had a lieutenant's bar, and sure enough, pretty soon I got a bugged promotion to 2nd Lieutenant.

Don't call me "sir", I work for a living! :mad:

I'm not a lieutenant. I'm NOT. ;_;

carlos

Sea Manky said:
Um, that's not what I did. I took the zone closest to their base. So it belonged to our team while I was holding it. I was going for 20 zone defends after all. :p

ah, my mistake for not noticing (it was 3am then);

however my point still stands on guarding the enemy base; I'll probably be on tonight, starting around 7-8 EST

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
freethought said:
flying together can have a devastating effect.

the... Flying Wedge o_O

My server is still up btw (since yesterday!). !GAF is the name. Join if u want guys.

FabCam

Yo guys! I think I played with a few of you last night. There was a really annoying guy on the mic; "ratters". He's my neighbour so I can't be harsh :p. I am simply loving this game.

Raist

Banned
Steroyd said:
Does anyone know an alternative to mirc? They asking $20.00 for me to register now.

You should still be able to use it without registering.

It's just that it will spam the "giv muney" when you launch it.

Raist

Banned
Ok so I've PM'ed the clan leaders (Varshes, LJ11, Killthee, The Jer, couldn't PM kaching because he's banned) to give 'em a link to this thread, and the IRC channel, and asked 'em to inform their clan members.

Hope we'll manage to rise this thread (and GAF games) from the dead :/

Aeon712

Looks like I'll be buying this game tomorrow night. A friend of mine just bought a PS3 and Warhawk and wants me to pick it up. Tonx and Click will be getting their wish of blowing me out of the sky :lol.

I just started playing the Euro version. I'm just randomly trying to pick servers now, lots of disconnects. Any good suggestions for servers you hang out at?

PSN ID: MikeProtagonist

And YOU were worried when I was forced to switch teams? I was worried! XP[/QUOTE said:
You were worried?! I was worried.

When I joined the game it was like 4 gaffers against me.

And everyone on my team was an idiot or a TKer.

SiegfriedFM said:
I just started playing the Euro version. I'm just randomly trying to pick servers now, lots of disconnects. Any good suggestions for servers you hang out at?

PSN ID: MikeProtagonist

I've been having good luck with ranked non-sony servers.

FF_VIII

Banned
I've yet to finish a CTF that actually has a winner, it's just draws all the time. Anyone been in a match where someone actually won? :D

User 406

Banned
FF_VIII said:
I've yet to finish a CTF that actually has a winner, it's just draws all the time. Anyone been in a match where someone actually won? :D

Yeah, the game I was just in. My entire god damn team didn't do shit the whole game. Plenty of them hung around the base waiting to recover the flag when it was taken, only they completely failed every time. I was almost the only person on offense, and I managed to get one flag capture. The other team got all five. >:|

Trying to get 20 zone defends in a round is really hard. The server I was on was a variety server, but its zone games have a 7500 point limit, so that gives me a bit more slack, but I still can't seem to pull it off. It doesn't help that the after game screen never updates that stat section on the right, so I can see if what I've been doing counts. Only indicator I get is if I get a Base Defense ribbon, which you get for 10 zone defends.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Playing CTF drives me insane. People are so dumb sometimes! If a team works even somewhat together on defense, it makes getting the flag impossible, because the other team's offense will almost always be disorganized.

When you get a few guys who know what they are doing, though, it's a lot of fun. Sea Manky, I think I went against you in some CTF's yesterday (I was tigerheli).

God damn it!

This team killing shit is just getting stupid.

Way to go Incognito by not including a means for players to vote TK'ers off the game. >:|

And yeah. Tonight was the familiar every asshole defending the flag, enemies running up in the base with vehicles, on foot, mining it up. A jeep goes the long way around the map. I tell the fucknuts - do they attack the jeep?

No.

Do we scramble warhawks to intercept?

No.

Knucklefuckers.

Each and every last one of them.

icechai

hmm, my CTF experiences must be different than everyone else's, because its usually one team that wins even with the whole other team playing defense. Sometimes I get to take credit for getting flag out of their base onto the bridge or next outpost, but I don't always survive. However if you are attacking with 5 other guys you can bet that someone else will get to it, and get it farther.

The key to CTF is mainly having a team that uses ground vehicles, Warhawk with stealth, and make sure if you are the flag carrier, you have a rocket launcher and some mines. My strategy that has worked really well is usually to send a lightning from REAAALLLLY far away, go in stealth and grab the flag while dropping mines, run and rocket any pursuers / threats. By this point the flag is well out of their base and I'm in a jeep or a tank. If in tank, look out the hatch and rocket those pesky warhawks down.

Question: does any GAFn still play? I really haven't seen any on since the first 3 days of its creation... Manky I want to be in your subguild :p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm in Gafn, and I play at least once a day, but there are rarely any other Gafn members on. Ever. :(

Yeah, air support is crucial for flag recovery / defense when it's out of the base. For some reason folks are really distracted by warhawks and will focus on taking them down first; which gives the driver some time to get away safely.

Problem is scrambling these monkeys to get out and get the flag.

People also seem to fail to realize flag captures would go better if you load up multiple people in a vehicle or head out in a formation.

Although there have been times when I've gotte fed up, ran in the enemy base and drove the damn thing back home.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
icechai said:
hmm, my CTF experiences must be different than everyone else's, because its usually one team that wins even with the whole other team playing defense. Sometimes I get to take credit for getting flag out of their base onto the bridge or next outpost, but I don't always survive. However if you are attacking with 5 other guys you can bet that someone else will get to it, and get it farther.

The key to CTF is mainly having a team that uses ground vehicles, Warhawk with stealth, and make sure if you are the flag carrier, you have a rocket launcher and some mines. My strategy that has worked really well is usually to send a lightning from REAAALLLLY far away, go in stealth and grab the flag while dropping mines, run and rocket any pursuers / threats. By this point the flag is well out of their base and I'm in a jeep or a tank. If in tank, look out the hatch and rocket those pesky warhawks down.

Question: does any GAFn still play? I really haven't seen any on since the first 3 days of its creation... Manky I want to be in your subguild :p

Before going to the flag I also scatter both ground and air mines on and above my intended escape route. Oh the sound of a chasing Warhawk exploding right above my head :D

Steroyd

Hehe I love CTF The Badlands just try and nick my flag I dare you. :lol

Made worse that I know exactly where the TOW missiles, Binoculars and Sniper Rifle are, I could make one mean defence, if I could use them more efficiently.

spwolf

it is a bit hard to get teamplay organized since buddies list doesnt get updated properly, so I am treating my current play time as workout before we can get some serious team play going on... now that will be fun.

icechai

spwolf said:
it is a bit hard to get teamplay organized since buddies list doesnt get updated properly, so I am treating my current play time as workout before we can get some serious team play going on... now that will be fun.

yeah hopefully they will address all the other issues ppl need in this game after fixing that server stuff. I think the fact that this is basically like beta2 is why there has been a drop in people playing regularly (that and Heavenly Sword & Locoroco :p)

User 406

Banned
My thing with CTF is to take all the spawn points first. Then it doesn't really matter if I die getting the flag out of the base or not. As long as it's out, my team can just keep respawning near the flag to get it a bit farther before dying, while the other team has to come from farther away each time and has a much smaller supply of warhawks to use. Of course, it's aggravating when you've got a group of enemies clustered around their downed flag and your teammates just stay at a distance and plink away at them instead of rushing the hell in and grabbing it. People need to be less worried about getting killed.

Which reminds me, I've recently hit the number one spot on the leaderboards, IN DEATHS!

BOW DOWN!

Firewire

Banned
Played some awesome matches last night. Played an awesome round on a Sony server of CTF. Some Italian guys were making me laugh my butt off. This game just doesn't ever get boring!

Steroyd

I really need to learn where the BOHICAlars are on the Archipeligro map the other team humped us taking the spawn point just outside the base to build their attack I hate it when that happens.

I saw a GAFu player tonight, I suppose that's a clansman? Good fun in any case, but getting onto a server could certainly be easier. Also, how do I make a server a favorite without leaving and tracking it down again in the list? Also, how do I send messages to individual people/add friends? Also, how do I shot web?

User 406

Banned
Steroyd said:
I really need to learn where the BOHICAlars are on the Archipeligro map the other team humped us taking the spawn point just outside the base to build their attack I hate it when that happens.

They're underneath the lower end of the big ramps on the main section, and underneath the landing pads on the two little islands at the far upper right and lower left.

Steroyd

Sea Manky said:
They're underneath the lower end of the big ramps on the main section, and underneath the landing pads on the two little islands at the far upper right and lower left.

I knew about the the ones on the little island but useless in CTF. Will local play to check them out thanks.

Seigfried there's no in-game messaging you'll have to commit who you saw to memory then go to players met on the XMB and add them that way.

And before you join a server there's a add to favourites option.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
OK, so I got my headset charged up, paired it successfully with my phone to test it and it works fine, good clear audio etc.

Paired it with my PS3 no problem. (After turning off my phone)

Got it set in the XMB audio settings for input / output and "connected"

However in game all I get is a garbled random mess.

I know it is connected in game as I have the icon next to my name, and hear the little beep when I press L3, but so far I've had no success in hearing anything other than random clicks, pops and garbage.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom