• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

sagat2036

finally found this thread, not cool the move or change.

Seems iam the only one on GAFw that even plays west coast time. Are ppl more active in the other gaf clans?

I play at least an hour or more a day when i get home. Really having a lot of fun with it.

User 406

Banned
Raist said:
No, just everyone. I mean, we used to have a lot of people playing (I remember the thread being filled by "zomg kick someone I wanna join plz") and now... were barely manage to have 8 people.

I don't know but, it's been like that since the thread has been moved... people stopped posting and playing.

What are we, chopped liver? :p

But really, that's why I'd like to see a clan consolidation. It's pretty clear that a lot of the people that originally signed up for the clans have moved on, so if we can get all the active people into one or two clans now that the invite bug is fixed, we'll at least have an easy way to see when some of us are on and join in the games with each other.

Figure we send out clan messages and maybe a new thread, and get the respondants into as few clans as possible.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
13 hours of Wowhawk today :). Good night!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sea Manky said:
What are we, chopped liver? :p

But really, that's why I'd like to see a clan consolidation. It's pretty clear that a lot of the people that originally signed up for the clans have moved on, so if we can get all the active people into one or two clans now that the invite bug is fixed, we'll at least have an easy way to see when some of us are on and join in the games with each other.

Figure we send out clan messages and maybe a new thread, and get the respondants into as few clans as possible.

I second the need for clan consolidation. I feel lonely on Gafn :)

Kalren

I'd like to see a consolidation as well for the clans, but that maybe a symptom of never receiving an invite to GAFw...

PSN:Xostas

icechai said:
I feel Manky's a lot harder in a dogfight :p from the short time I played with them, freethought seems like a pretty even battle, while I can get Sea_Manky maybe 1 out of 4 times we meet, then again it doesn't help I'm usually ganged up on whenever I fight them.. stupid teamwork :p

There's no doubt. Only time I ever beat Manky in a dogfight was when TTP and I ganged up on him. Mind you, sometimes I do beat him in terms of score, usually by about 3 points, then next game I'll end on around 60 while he clears 100. Turns out he sat out half of the previous round. Damn you Manky!

Okay, today I get those last three ribbons, so don't expect much help if we run into each other.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh yeah, by the way. I just accepted GAFu invitation. Thanks a lot guys :)!

User 406

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I lost my #1 spot on the leaderboards. ;_;

Some other asshole has died more times than me! I'd better go eat some mines, OM NOM NOM NOM BOOM

S. L.

Steroyd said:
Last chance to stop me.

Screw you guys.
BlackLoco.jpg

so, where is that server?

User 406

Banned
Woot! Finally got my Aerial Achievement medal. Apparently the requirements are misleading, you don't just need 10 kills in a round with the warhawk machineguns, you need to kill 10 warhawks in a round with the warhawk machine guns. Anyway, pretty. :D

Steroyd

Wait... they increased it to what it should have been. >_>

Increase it moar. >_< so we can have a GafU the U for Ultimate.

I'm sittin on my own cos I'm lonely

I'm so lonely
There's nobody
I'm all on my own
WOOOO
Mr Lonely
There's nobody
All on my own

User 406

Banned
Steroyd, I'm hopping in now.

And frankly, at this point, I'm expecting we could get all the currently active GAF players into a single 64 player clan. :p

spwolf

Sea Manky said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I lost my #1 spot on the leaderboards. ;_;

Some other asshole has died more times than me! I'd better go eat some mines, OM NOM NOM NOM BOOM

i got one medal, and it is for dying... :lol

gotta try harder...

Steroyd

Sorry to break up those great games but I'm knackered and some variations of the map I've never seen before were awesome.

Just try and take my flag BITCH. :lol

spwolf

good games on SCEE server too, kudos steroyd... we might not have gotten the points, but we got the win :)

and then my Wowhawk crashed for first time in a month... lol... too intense. :D

Steroyd

Gah you and freethought kept clearin my mines in that last map... I put time and effort into that you know :mad:, always managed to fall into that one extra mine I placed.

There was one round I kept sniping someone I think it was SL most accurate I've ever been with a snipe I cried a little it wasn't a ranked match because it was a freak incident like the 10 kills without dying Resistance medal.

spwolf

Steroyd said:
Gah you and freethought kept clearin my mines in that last map... I put time and effort into that you know :mad:, always managed to fall into that one extra mine I placed.

which is why I officially hate that map :D

well, it kind of was like an strategy - i cleaned it up for Sea monkey and then he scores... in the end, 3:0 is what counts :lol

Steroyd

Yeah true.

I would like to apologise to warhawk it's got some freaking amazing 12 player maps given how awesome the game is with 24 - 32 players thought it'd lose that mayhem with 12 players oh how wrong was I.

spwolf said:
good games on SCEE server too, kudos steroyd... we might not have gotten the points, but we got the win :)

and then my Wowhawk crashed for first time in a month... lol... too intense. :D

I just joined the Sony server you were on and it immediately froze. My network connection has been screwy all day, I officially give up. See you tomorrow.

Some great games today though, nice rotation Steroyd. I love that Archipelago layout. Really intense matches on there.

spwolf

freethought said:
I just joined the Sony server you were on and it immediately froze. My network connection has been screwy all day, I officially give up. See you tomorrow.

Some great games today though, nice rotation Steroyd. I love that Archipelago layout. Really intense matches on there.

what map was it? mine froze once we started eucadia...

p.s. monkey and stereo were on it too, fun, fun...

Saw a dude pull off the craziest Binoc kill tonight on the med Island Outpost ctf map, not sure where he was perched but he must have had a terrific angle. I was heading into their base with a jeep when I hear somebody on the mic say "Get out of their base, I got the Binos". So I hit the breaks and back out a bit. A couple seconds later the left side of the screen is FILLED with blue names. Like 10 or 11 guys got owned at once. It was beautiful. I just moseyed on in for the flag, it was a ghost town.

I've kinda ignored the Binos up to this point... I think I might try 'em out a bit more. :lol

Steroyd

See that sounds like a CTF match I did with everyone defending the flag, it takes just one cluste bomb or Bohicalars to mess them up point whores be damned.

spwolf

Steroyd said:
See that sounds like a CTF match I did with everyone defending the flag, it takes just one cluste bomb or Bohicalars to mess them up point whores be damned.

only stupid whores.. we the smart ones, hide so we dont get any damage... of course with rocket launcher in hand...

40 hrs in, and still so much to learn about all of the maps...

Steroyd

Yeah that wicked Zones match in Archipeligro left me feeling naked I couldn't defend the zones at all.

Oh yeah I've started to see the numbers on the zones yay me.

tha_con

Banned
Steroyd said:
There seems to be a new patch every week, at least when I boot up it seems to be checking for updates.

Well, it's been checking for updates, but that appears to be somewhat random, as it hasn't downloaded a patch yet (unless they changed the patching process from the beta).

But yea, a friend over at another website hinted at a Patch coming soon that was finished this friday, so I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything. He's generally a very reliable source (he works for Santa monica Studios IIRC).

User 406

Banned
Ugh, fuck that team, couldn't fight, couldn't fly, and I couldn't switch over to be with the gaffers. :(

Ah well, at least I got my Master Defense badge from all the flag carrier kills in the ONE game we won. :p

Pimpwerx

OK, I'm still pretty heated that the Warhawk thread was banished to the cemetery known as the Online Forum. Meanwhile, Halo3 torments us with endless threads about god knows what. Let's get a Wowhawk thread back into the Gaming Forum.

I thought weapons balance and preference would be a good topic for debate. I'll start off listing my preferences and then maybe list a couple of items I think they could change. Please share your thoughts too. The Warhawk thread was riding high prior to the move, so I'm sure we can get some traffic in here.

Anyway, my preferences are:

Troop - Flamethrower - My aim isn't that great. I've managed a number of rifle and grenade kills in the last week, but by far my best and favorite weapon is the flamethrower. There's a problem with proximity, but the target circle is so huge, it's hard for me to miss while juking left and right. That and you can use grenades to steer enemies into the flame.

Vehicle - 4x4 - I'mgonna put 4x4, but only b/c I've grown fond of it on Island Outpost and Eucadia. I'll drive around collecting mines and rox (and the flamethrower for one-on-one encounters) and then go around mining turrets and zones, while randomly spraying anti-air rox around.

Warhawk - TOW Missle - I've learned how to use the lightning weapon well, and it's just not that powerful. I've become quite good at popping over the top of a ridge and cluster bombing turrets. But nothing beats the full-on splatter action of a TOW missle. In those CTF games where base campers just sit there collecting points, the TOW makes a meal of the whole lot of them when they move in to recover the flag. Timed properly, you can clear the base in time for your convoy to make a clear retreat. Also great for clearing chokepoints, or just for fucking with randoms trying to commute between zones. Nothing like decloaking to drop a TOW on some poor shlub who's just spawned in the wrong place. :lol

So, those are my preferences. Now for a few nitpicks:

1. TOW spamming - I love this weapon, but it can make some maps unbearable. Eucadia and Island Outpost seem to suffer the most from this. Maybe it's b/c there are two or three TOWs on the maps (I think they both have one really high over the center of the map). Whatever the case, it makes it hard to play CTF on those servers without some sort of organization. OTOH, the TOW has a distinct sound to it, and if you don't take cover before it hits, you kinda deserve to die.

2. Mines - Can we get these things better labeled for friendlies? I sometimes have to get a little too close to a mine to identify it. As a result, I sometimes just detonate them whether they are friendly or not. The same with the air mines. I wouldn't want to make them completely useless, but just make it so I don't need to detonate my team's mines each time I want to return to base.

3. Stealth - Why do I sometimes get lock on a stealth plane, and other times not? It seems very arbitrary, but there might be a system to it. Is there a rhyme and reason to getting missle lock on a plane that is in stealth mode? Or is it simply the luck of the draw? I've found this has happened to me too. I'll be in stealth mode, and then I'm getting swarmers sent my way. And they're not getting lock before I engage the stealth either.

4. Gun turrets - I find these things worthless. The few times I've been shot down by one, I fell asleep at the wheel during a dogfight. I don't get killed by them on foot or in vehicles. I definitely don't kill anyone with them either. The missle turrets rock. . Very powerful. The gun turrets...ugh. I know some people who swear by them, but without an increase in range or fire rate, I hate these things.

OK, let's talk some Warhawk, folks. Maybe we can get some people back interested in the game. The thread move is the single most damaging thing to the GAF community. Not even the server problems turned people away like this. But the day the thread moved, the GAF members started dropping off fast. PLEASE move the thread back, or let's get this one going. This game is awesome beyond belief, and doesn't deserve to get buried the way it is right now. The mod responsible should be tarred, feathered and maybe beaten a little bit for this crime. PEACE.

Pharmacy

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
4. Gun turrets - I find these things worthless. The few times I've been shot down by one, I fell asleep at the wheel during a dogfight. I don't get killed by them on foot or in vehicles. I definitely don't kill anyone with them either. The missle turrets rock. . Very powerful. The gun turrets...ugh. I know some people who swear by them, but without an increase in range or fire rate, I hate these things.

im going to pretend you didn't say that

theBishop

Banned
I love using the flamethrower to defend the flag or spawnpoint.

The pistol and machine gun seem underpowered, and frankly the autoaim and fast movement make them pretty rough.

On the gun turrets: are you talking about the little mounted ones scattered around the map, or the big anti-air guns? I chop down WarHawks all the time with the AA's, and I generally prefer them to the AA missile launchers.

One thing I really hate are the landmines. They stand out as incredibly unbalanced to me, and they can make a match really lame if someone just keeps spamming them at a spawn point.

Pimpwerx

Firewire said:
When have we lost interest? Still playing the game like crazy! By far its my favorite online only game!
I know, but traffic in that thread has slowed to a crawl, and the regular GAF servers have mostly gone down. The Online forum is where threads are sent to die. ;)

Pharmacy said:
im going to pretend you didn't say that
Hehe, just trying to get some discussion going. Warhawk discussion belongs in the Gaming forum, so I'm trying to get some non-online discussion going. Yeah, I'll have to break a few eggs to make this omelette. :D

Firewire

Banned
I agree that friendly mines should be more recognizable. Overall though I think the balance in the weapons is pretty good. In regards to the Tow missile, I still find that many people still don't seem to use it correctly, it is a rather hard weapon to use as well though.

keyrat

the small gun turrets are worthless, but the AA gun is powerful enough.

i love the game. my only real gripe is that the maps are symmetrical from the middle. I wish they were different all over, yet still balanced, like Battlefield.

Pimpwerx

keyrat said:
the small gun turrets are worthless, but the AA gun is powerful enough.

i love the game. my only real gripe is that the maps are symmetrical from the middle. I wish they were different all over, yet still balanced, like Battlefield.
Strike at Karkhan? :D I've seen some amazing comebacks at Badlands that reminded me a lot of the Karkhan map in BF2. I agree, some asymmetrical maps would make for some more interesting matches, but then I'd also think you'd have to make those two-round matches so that both teams get a shot at it. That way you don't end up with one team that has like twice the points of the other. PEACE.

Top Bottom