• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Firewire

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
I know, but traffic in that thread has slowed to a crawl, and the regular GAF servers have mostly gone down. The Online forum is where threads are sent to die. ;)

Yeah, no one seems to know were it is anymore. Its a shame. :(

I took a bit of time off from Warhawk to play some TF2 beta but I played a lot yesterday. Still addicting as it was when I bought it.

TOW Missle is great for killing off the other team when they are trying to save their flag. I think I got 6 people and a boat load of vehicles with one shot yesterday. I also love to fly them into the bunkers on Island Outpost and blow up the bastard hiding on the beams inside with the flag.

Madman

I think one thing that should be done is making air mines not explode when they are from your team. I've been killed a couple times from a teamates mine that, while very well palced, was right on a upgrade of some sort that just ends up blowing me up. I know it's umlikely it will get changed, but it would be nice.

I still play the game all the time. The servers list is quite populated and most of the problems seem to have been fixed. As long as there is a steady amount of players, I'll keep playing. I think the one of the problems with the GAF clans was that you had a bunch of people say "sign me up!" when they really weren't going to participate. Don't know what can be done about that.

And the official forum being moved to the graveyard seemed to cause big issues with the clans and participation from GAF. It was an incredibly fast growing thread before. Now I would imagine most people don't even know it still exists. I have no idea why they moved it.

I also find the big gun turrets (flak guns?) useless, but I was just guessing it was me and my bad aim with them.

The only problem for me is the knife invisibility to radar thing. I use it myself only because it's there but I hate being cut down from behind out of nowhere because the player is not on radar.

I mainly go on foot/vehicle and find all weapons pretty fair and even. Flames against jeeps/tanks, rifles against troops, rockets against warhawks. I would make the gun turrets on the jeeps and the small ground ones a little more powerful though, esp the ground ones where I have yet to see anybody use one effectively before getting blown away.

Great game though and I'm loving it still despite my rank being permenently stuck at chief sargeant for some reason. My stats never go up, and I almost always play on AU/EU blue servers. Whatever, I'm still enjoying it.

Edit: no longer a junior? I survived? cool.

theBishop

Banned
Madman said:
I think one thing that should be done is making air mines not explode when they are from your team. I've been killed a couple times from a teamates mine that, while very well palced, was right on a upgrade of some sort that just ends up blowing me up. I know it's umlikely it will get changed, but it would be nice.

I still play the game all the time. The servers list is quite populated and most of the problems seem to have been fixed. As long as there is a steady amount of players, I'll keep playing. I think the one of the problems with the GAF clans was that you had a bunch of people say "sign me up!" when they really weren't going to participate. Don't know what can be done about that.

And the official forum being moved to the graveyard seemed to cause big issues with the clans and participation from GAF. It was an incredibly fast growing thread before. Now I would imagine most people don't even know it still exists. I have no idea why they moved it.

The sad thing is WarHawk's clan/party support pales in comparison to Resistance. I like both games alot, but Resistance is a lot more "sticky" with its community features.

SRG01

My top three weapons:

1. Machine Gun. Simple but effective. Nothing beats this weapon in close range combat, aside from a good grenade toss.
2. Rocket Launcher. Pretty obvious.
3. Flamethrower. Gets demoted to number three simply because it sucks once they get out of range. And since moving backward is the same speed as moving forward, you'd get cut down by a machine gun easily.

My top three gripes:

1. The tank can take more hits from a rocket launcher than a warhawk? WTF?
2. MG turrets, either Jeep or ground, are useless.
3. The game needs to allow more strategies outside of the rock-paper-scissors theory. Some CTF games are completely stalled simply because of turtled ground defense and no one on the team knows how to pilot a warhawk well. Allow for some ground improvements that can actually crack turtles!

Kyoufu

Did they fix the issue with servers being pseudo-full? I swear I could never get into a game.

I think the Sniper Rifle is seriously powerful. I was running around unscoped and just one-shotting people at close range.

Lince

Banned
I play Warhawk on a dialy basis and it never gets old, it's much more fun that this other game everybody is talking about over here, not to mention the awesome smooth experience you get even with 24+ people on the server.

edit: I pretty much nearly mastered the Warhawk and enjoy destroying turrets and planting mines in key respawning points, I play with 2-3 friends and planning different strategies to get the enemy flag while on the 4x4/tanks rides is just awesome.

Madman

SRG01 said:
My top three weapons:

1. Machine Gun. Simple but effective. Nothing beats this weapon in close range combat, aside from a good grenade toss.
2. Rocket Launcher. Pretty obvious.
3. Flamethrower. Gets demoted to number three simply because it sucks once they get out of range. And since moving backward is the same speed as moving forward, you'd get cut down by a machine gun easily.

My top three gripes:

3. The game needs to allow more strategies outside of the rock-paper-scissors theory. Some CTF games are completely stalled simply because of turtled ground defense and no one on the team knows how to pilot a warhawk well. Allow for some ground improvements that can actually crack turtles!
I have issue with the first two gripes.

I would certaintly hope a tank could take more rockets than a Warhawk. Real planes get completely destroyed by an RPG, a tank doesn't. The tnak is also much more cumbersome and had no defense from gorund rockets. A decent Warhawk pilot an dodge the RPG with relative ease, not counting chaff.

The Jeep turret can be very useful, when someone uses it correctly. The ground one, not so much. But a good driver and gunner can wreak havoc.

Firewire

Banned
SRG01 said:
My top three gripes:

1. Wouldn't a tank have more thicker armor than a warhawk!
2. Ground MG's are meh! But for the jeep they can be pretty effective. Most people are aiming wildly with it (all over the place) so most get killed before they kill anyone!
3. .

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
2. Mines - Can we get these things better labeled for friendlies? I sometimes have to get a little too close to a mine to identify it. As a result, I sometimes just detonate them whether they are friendly or not. The same with the air mines. I wouldn't want to make them completely useless, but just make it so I don't need to detonate my team's mines each time I want to return to base.

these things are too powerfull imo, Damage area is too large too. When actually see one, you really have to keep your distance trying to get rid of them. And yea, i hink the light coming from them needs to be more noticable.

4. Gun turrets - I find these things worthless. The few times I've been shot down by one, I fell asleep at the wheel during a dogfight. I don't get killed by them on foot or in vehicles. I definitely don't kill anyone with them either. The missle turrets rock. . Very powerful. The gun turrets...ugh. I know some people who swear by them, but without an increase in range or fire rate, I hate these things.

They are too weak, on and off the 4x4s, they need some range and damage power.

- Other things for me, the Warhawks needs more Chaff Dispensers to start off. maybe two or 3. I found myself hunting for Chaffs(no homo) too much, sometimes i just quickly try to land and GTFO. But i do suck in the Warhawks overall so...:lol

- We need a SHOTGUN. ....its A Shooter....IT NEEDS A SHOTGUN

oh and my proud Achievement in the game: Shooting down a Warhawk with my Pistol:D

theBishop said:
I love using the flamethrower to defend the flag or spawnpoint.

The pistol and machine gun seem underpowered, and frankly the autoaim and fast movement make them pretty rough.
On the gun turrets: are you talking about the little mounted ones scattered around the map, or the big anti-air guns? I chop down WarHawks all the time with the AA's, and I generally prefer them to the AA missile launchers.

One thing I really hate are the landmines. They stand out as incredibly unbalanced to me, and they can make a match really lame if someone just keeps spamming them at a spawn point.
That is what turned me off from the game. I hate how underpowered the foot soldiers are with the machine gun. The machine gun should kill an enemy with under one clip.

I tend to use this strategy, over and over... I spawn, grab some gear, hop in a Warhawk, I zoom over to the outskirts of an enemy base, I land, I get out and equip the knife... then I see what happens. Since I'm invisible on radar, I usually get the drop on footsoldiers and mow them down with the rifle. I also love hopping in tanks, that's by far the vehicle I have the best KD ratio. You get lots of shots at vulnerable soldiers when you're that close to an enemy base.

Also fun grabbing a missile turret near enemy areas, lots of potential targets. Just got to watch your back.

I'm awful at this game though. My KDR is .7

SRG01

Madman said:
I have issue with the first two gripes. I would certaintly hope a tank could take more rockets than a Warhawk. Real planes get completely destroyed by an RPG, a tank doesn't.

The Jeep turret can be very useful, when someone uses it correctly. The ground one, not so much. But a good driver and gunner can wreak havoc.

Okay, maybe I should've phrased it better.

A tank taking about two-three rockets to take down is no problem for me. The problem is that, on average, it takes about four rockets to down a tank and you're only given 6 rockets per pop on a 32 player CTF map. That's BS, considering that rockets are also used to shoot at warhawks, which take an average of two rockets.

Concerning the jeep MG, the only problem with your theory is that it takes two good people to make it useful. Also, there's no real incentive to use the jeep MG when there are better alternatives to use.

Madman

theBishop said:
The sad thing is WarHawk's clan/party support pales in comparison to Resistance. I like both games alot, but Resistance is a lot more "sticky" with its community features.
I'm a lone gunman type player. I don't join clans and really don't party up all that much in online games. So stuff like that isn't an issue for me.

But yes, Resistance offers a lot and is a very complete game. Perhaps they can improve the community features in Warhawk with time. We'll just have to wait and see.

SRG01

snack said:
That is what turned me off from the game. I hate how underpowered the foot soldiers are with the machine gun. The machine gun should kill an enemy with under one clip.

I don't really mind that the MG doesn't take down someone in one clip, since the reload rate is pretty fast. But could you imagine the (something something) that would happen if we could get <1 clip kills?

Madman

SRG01 said:

A tank taking about two-three rockets to take down is no problem for me. The problem is that, on average, it takes about four rockets to down a tank and you're only given 6 rockets per pop on a 32 player CTF map. That's BS, considering that rockets are also used to shoot at warhawks, which take an average of two rockets.

Concerning the jeep MG, the only problem with your theory is that it takes two good people to make it useful. Also, there's no real incentive to use the jeep MG when there are better alternatives to use.
It makes sense that someone on the ground should have great difficulty taking out a tank. But using greandes and rockets can get the job done.

Well, I typically gun in the jeep and hope the driver is competant. Sure, it isn't always that effective, but I have gotten some pretty amazing runs with the jeep. It's fast, can capture territories, and if the gun is used right, can take down Warhawks and tanks.

tha_con

Banned
Loudninja said:
That one hit kill knife bull is very annoying

Do you get killed often by the knife? I rarely get hit by it.

Just make sure you have a machine gun and / or flame thrower and you'll win out every time.

One thing I do think most people need to realize, is that the more weapons you grab, the more of a threat you become.

Also, TOW's aren't over powered, rather, they can be abused. But, it's a punishment for playing the game improperly. If you're camping your base in CTF with 7 other people and leaving one person to go after the enemy flag, you DESERVE to get hit with a TOW in the face.

As for friendly air mines, they only kill you if you run into them. Red team mines have spikes, blue team doesn't, very very easy to tell the difference (though, I'm playing in on a 56" HDTV).

I agree that land mines could use a much much bigger light coming out of them, or something distinct to identify them.
But, on the flip side, that could hurt the balance of the game, rather, the effectiveness of land mines. If you can clearly identify it's not yours, you destory them and they serve little purpose, and only the most cunning of players (like myself) will be able to use them effectively. Nothing beats landmines + towers on the Destoryed Capital. Endless arsenal of weapons + lots of targets to kill? Double win.

SRG01 said:
I don't really mind that the MG doesn't take down someone in one clip, since the reload rate is pretty fast. But could you imagine the (something something) that would happen if we could get <1 clip kills?

You can If you aim for the head. They will drop like flies. Also works with the pistol if you're really good.

Ceb

The pistol is worthless. It's basically only good as a last resort when you've run out of ammo and are chasing the enemy flag carrier on foot.

Rifle is nice, but your SOL if the enemy has a grenade or two.

Sniper rifle is mostly good for base campers. At least how it seems from my experience. Perhaps my aim just sucks. :lol

Rocket Launcher is deadlier against vehicles than against troops, who can dodge shots with relatively high success.

The mines... is there a cap on the max number? I thought your old mines disappeared if you place out new ones from the same spawn point, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe they should make spawn times longer, although I don't think it's unfair per se.

The only complaint I have about the game is that it sucks playing on an uncooperative team.

Btw, until yesterday, I didn't know you could headshot/grenade kill jeep drivers (without destroying the vehicle itself).

FabCam

I love the assault rifle. The pistol can actually fire quicker if you have really quick thumbs, but most of them time I just stafe, jump, shoot and grenade. Grenades are actually really good if you can use them well.

Ceb

SRG01 said:

Tanks would get torn to shreds inside enemy bases if you decreased their hit points. Two grenades does enough damage as it is.

Loudninja

tha_con said:

Just make sure you have a machine gun and / or flame thrower and you'll win out every time.

One thing I do think most people need to realize, is that the more weapons you grab, the more of a threat you become.

Also, TOW's aren't over powered, rather, they can be abused. But, it's a punishment for playing the game improperly. If you're camping your base in CTF with 7 other people and leaving one person to go after the enemy flag, you DESERVE to get hit with a TOW in the face.

As for friendly air mines, they only kill you if you run into them. Red team mines have spikes, blue team doesn't, very very easy to tell the difference (though, I'm playing in on a 56" HDTV).

I agree that land mines could use a much much bigger light coming out of them, or something distinct to identify them.
But, on the flip side, that could hurt the balance of the game, rather, the effectiveness of land mines. If you can clearly identify it's not yours, you destory them and they serve little purpose, and only the most cunning of players (like myself) will be able to use them effectively. Nothing beats landmines + towers on the Destoryed Capital. Endless arsenal of weapons + lots of targets to kill? Double win.

No not often :D but still....

SRG01

$1148 Jack said:
You can If you aim for the head. They will drop like flies. Also works with the pistol if you're really good.

It's pretty unreliabile for me to aim for the head in the thick of battle with the thumbstick. Getting onto higher ground makes it easier, but still unreliable for a good portion of ground combat.

But the pistol is pretty good. Nothing beats the shame of being shot down by one! :lol

S. L.

when you play a bit you develop a pretty good eye for landmines, i rarely get killed by them anymore. especially by the usually pretty uncreatively placed mines near the bases.

Madman

tha_con said:

I agree, they are very easy to tell apart. The issue is when you lay them right, they are blocked by the icon for the pickup. It makes them virtually impossible to see until it is too late. This only happens rarely to me, but when it does, it's frustrating.

Ceb said:
The only complaint I have about the game is that it sucks playing on an uncooperative team.

If you can believe this, I was being shot at by teammates during a CTF game where I'd gotten the flag and was returning to (and inside!) our base. I'm assuming they were all trying to score the big points themselves? What a bunch of a-holes, on the official EU server no less.

SRG01 said:
It's pretty unreliabile for me to aim for the head in the thick of battle with the thumbstick. Getting onto higher ground makes it easier, but still unreliable for a good portion of ground combat.

But the pistol is pretty good. Nothing beats the shame of being shot down by one! :lol

Yeah, I'm not saying it's easy as I have trouble doing it as well, but it works. The lock on helps for this too.

lunlunqq

My favourite vehicle:
Warhawk. I stay in warhawks 80% of the time while I play. I score half of my total kills in warhawks.

My favourite warhawk weapons in terms of efficiency:
1. Homing missiles
2. Swarm missiles
3. Chaffs.
The first thing after I get into a warhawk is to get enough ammo for these 3 types of weapons, then I feel safe and ready to battle.

My favourite warhawk weapons in terms of fun factor:
1. TOW missiles
2. Air mines
3. Cluster bombs
It's very satifying to use the TOW missile and cluster bombs against ground targets. Spamming air mines is just as fun as spamming land mines. :)

When I am on foot, my favourite infantry weapons in terms of efficiency:
1. Machine gun
2. Grenades
3. Rocket launcher

Whenever, I have these 3, I'm ready to go. I tend to avoid close quarter battles on the ground.

My favourite infantry weapons in terms of fun factor:
1. Land mines
2. Sniper rifle
3. Battle knife
My favourite thing to do: spamming mines all over the map. :D Sniping is fun too.

SRG01

Ceb said:
Tanks would get torn to shreds inside enemy bases if you decreased their hit points. Two grenades does enough damage as it is.

Ehh, I'm not sure where you're seeing this, but from my experience grenades to little damage to a tank on average. A mediocre tank driver by himself has enough beef to take down enough ground defenses.

calder

I agree the MG nests are pretty useless, the only real effective use for them I've found is on the jeep when enemy warhawks are chasing you down. They do decent damage on warhawks and since the enemy is normally hovering as close as possible to you you can occasionally kill one before he kills you uinless the pilot has good aim on your jeep.

But other than that the MG nests are feeble, fairly inaccurate at medium range with too little ammo before you have to reload to just spray makes it hard to kill infantry unless they are close enough to tickle. Not quite enough damage on vehicles to expect to kill even a <50% jeep or tank before they either blow you to shit or drive off into the sunset.

The flak cannons were nerfed maybe a little too hard. Like everyone agrees, in the beta they were insane against warhawks but useless against ground forces, now they are mostly useless against warhawks and occasionally helpful against tanks or jeeps. At least they do a bit of damage on infantry which is good for just pissing off the enemy at the base next door with random volleys. :lol

I should really play more, I've only played a couple of times in the past few weeks. The rank/points glitches and resets and annoying server issues really hampered the fun for too long at launch. I hope the 2 guys left at Incog or whatever are able to patch it well before they turn out the lights and then the game gets cheap, it could easily have a little renaissance. Still the most intensely fun CTF games I've played in forever, that's gotta count for something.

SRG01

$1148 Jack said:
Yeah, I'm not saying it's easy as I have trouble doing it as well, but it works. The lock on helps for this too.

When I first played DM during my first warhawk session, I thought I suddenly got good at aiming. Then I found out about the lock-on-aim. :lol

Ceb

$1148 Jack said:
If you can believe this, I was being shot at by teammates during a CTF game where I'd gotten the flag and was returning to (and inside!) our base. I'm assuming they were all trying to score the big points themselves? What a bunch of a-holes, on the official EU server no less.

Oh, I can believe it. It's happened to me a bunch of times too. :( Really makes no sense considering the negative points you get for being a TKing asshole.

Ceb

SRG01 said:
Ehh, I'm not sure where you're seeing this, but from my experience grenades to little damage to a tank on average. A mediocre tank driver by himself has enough beef to take down enough ground defenses.

I think it takes like 6 grenades to down a tank, or roughly two grenades and a rocket. At choke points, you'll often find yourself surrounded by troopers. Tanks are safest on the long passageways (unless you have a team of warhawks or RPG soldiers on your ass).

SRG01

$1148 Jack said:

It happens occasionally to me. Especially when you're hiding with the flag to wait until your own flag gets saved, and when it does, you promptly get knifed.

Firewire

Banned
For me personally my favorite vehicle is the wowhawk! I'm loving the dog fights! I love that screaming sound when you unleash a barrage of swarm missiles against others! Also getting like a salvo of 10 swarmy's against others & watching them squirm in a desperate attempt to get away is just bliss! Homing missiles give me a woody as well! :lol

S. L.

what i enjoy most are dogfights when you used up all you missiles and try to gun the remaining health down with the MG while the other side tries desperate escape maneuvers. :D :D

SRG01

Ceb said:
I think it takes like 6 grenades to down a tank, or roughly two grenades and a rocket. At choke points, you'll often find yourself surrounded by troopers. Tanks are safest on the long passageways (unless you have a team of warhawks or RPG soldiers on your ass).

Six grenades? What?

I've hit tanks left, right, and center with rockets and grenades... I have trouble believing that it takes that little to down a tank outside of a lucky hit and trying to avoid getting shot by the tank itself.

Most definitely, I've never seen two grenades + 1 rocket or so take down a tank. On average, a rocket takes down 25-33% of a tank's health and a grenade much less than 1/6th. Flanking the tank may improve your chances, but not by much...

Firewire said:
For me personally my favorite vehicle is the wowhawk! I'm loving the dog fights! I love that screaming sound when you unleash a barrage of swarm missiles against others! Also getting like a salvo of 10 swarmy's against others & watching them squirm in a desperate attempt to get away is just bliss! Homing missiles give me a woody as well! :lol

I would love to be good in a wowhawk but I'll admit I just suck. I only use them for rapid transport or in dogfight matches because I have to :(
I usually get shot down within 20 seconds of hopping in one, even using chaffs like mad :lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
tha_con said:

I get tons of knife kills, and usually when you come at someone with a knife, they back straight up and are perfectly aligned for a one hit grenade kill.

Like someone else mentioned, landmines are mostly annoying because you can't determine if they are friendly or not until you get too close. Too annoying. TOW's are fine; sometimes I just patrol the air, and everyone knows where the TOW spawn points are, so if you see a plane not moving, usually you can assume it's guiding a TOW. Takes just a few seconds to take them down.

Pistol sucks. If I had a mouse, it'd be better. MG is awesome, flamethrower is good but too many people TK teammates with it.

Sniper rifle is useless. 99% of the time, the person sniping is not helping his team in the least bit. Sure, you get a kill here and there, but other than being temporarily annoying, it doesn't affect the outcome of the battle at all.

4x4's 50 cal should kill people a lot faster than it does.

tha_con

Banned
Madman said:
I agree, they are very easy to tell apart. The issue is when you lay them right, they are blocked by the icon for the pickup. It makes them virtually impossible to see until it is too late. This only happens rarely to me, but when it does, it's frustrating.
a nice pro tip: Always fly above or below the pickup. Or, do what I do, shoot the pickups if you see a mine at them. Friend or Foe, I blow it up, bad place to put a mine.

SRG01

$1148 Jack said:
I would love to be good in a wowhawk but I'll admit I just suck. I only use them for rapid transport or in dogfight matches because I have to :(
I usually get shot down within 20 seconds of hopping in one, even using chaffs like mad :lol

Or rush the other team at the beginning of a CTF by landing directly at the flag. :lol

There's a guy on the CTF servers named senbo that can really pull it off. Have you guys seen him around before?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
$1148 Jack said:

The key is to use your radar, and, basically enough, load up on weapons before taking anyone on. Once I learned those 2 things, I've become much much more successful in the air.

Steroyd

:lol awe man so many people couldn't just pick up the flag our attacks were shit.

Did your vein burst freethought? :lol

I think every person from that team TK'd you including me WTF!?

Madman

tha_con said:
a nice pro tip: Always fly above or below the pickup. Or, do what I do, shoot the pickups if you see a mine at them. Friend or Foe, I blow it up, bad place to put a mine.
Typically when this happens, I am at full boost and trying to get a health. As I'm sure you know, the calamity makes it so you are trying to get there ASAP and don't really have the time to line up the pickup. I always shoot them down as well, and like I said, this has only happened a few times (less than 10, probably around 7 times). It's just a little fix that would be nice. By no means a huge issue.

Top Bottom