• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

rc213

I have experienced what I thought was cheating, Someone kept tanking the turret but I could see no one anywhere near where I was. After the kill it would just zoom in on a empty hill.

Steroyd

h3ro said:
I haven't experienced anything resembling cheating either Manky... Any word on updates/fixes from Dylan Jobe lately? They've been awfully quiet for the last few days...

There's an announcement that there'll be downtime maintenance soon when you log onto Warhawk.

yay at sub forum. \o/

More people will notice this thread more now.

Huggers

Hey fellas. firstly, I've barely ever played anything online. I'm thinking about puchasing Warhawk and have a few questions that hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer to save me trawling through 178 pages of thread.

- Is there much lag? I have a 2 meg internet connection. Will this be ok?
- Is it worth buying the Warhawk disc version with the headset, do many people use voice chat and is that packaged Jabra Bluetooth headset any good?
- Do a lot of Gaffers play it together, and if so i'd like to get involved?
- How steep is the learning curve? Am i going to get continuoulsy destroyed for weeks on end?

Cheers guys

Steroyd

The Hug Dog said:
Hey fellas. firstly, I've barely ever played anything online. I'm thinking about puchasing Warhawk and have a few questions that hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer to save me trawling through 178 pages of thread.

- Is there much lag? I have a 2 meg internet connection. Will this be ok?
- Is it worth buying the Warhawk disc version with the headset, do many people use voice chat and is that packaged Jabra Bluetooth headset any good?
- Do a lot of Gaffers play it together, and if so i'd like to get involved?
- How steep is the learning curve? Am i going to get continuoulsy destroyed for weeks on end?

Cheers guys

- No there isn't enough lag to ruin the experience just the occasional absorb weapons without picking them up >_< and yes your connection should be alright.

-This one is at your own discretion, Gaffers like Sea_Mankey and Freethought use the Mics alot, but in general it's more miss than hit, personally i'd get it, because there'll definately be other games that will use Voice chat in the near future, Jabra Headset is brilliant i'd reccomend to everyone.

-Yeah we usually meet up on the weekends, no party system makes it hard, but if we persevere we end up on the same team, kicking ass and taking names, being part of the Clan makes find other gaffers that much easier you just need to tell me your PSN ID and I'll invite you to join the clan.

- I won't lie to you, you will get pwned badly at the start especially in a Warhawk, but the learning curve is alright shouldn't take too long to get into, a bit of advice if you're on the opposite team to either Sea Mankey or freethought and you're both in the air, GTFO of the Warhawk and land, you're survival rate increases by 10%. :lol

Another bit of advice, don't try and get the flag in capture the flag at the start or at least approach the flag slowly, if people are half as inventive as me when placing mines you won't get anywhere near it till you start studying the patterns.

Huggers

Steroyd said:
- No there isn't enough lag to ruin the experience just the occasional absorb weapons without picking them up >_< and yes your connection should be alright.

-This one is at your own discretion, Gaffers like Sea_Mankey and Freethought use the Mics alot, but in general it's more miss than hit, personally i'd get it, because there'll definately be other games that will use Voice chat in the near future, Jabra Headset is brilliant i'd reccomend to everyone.

-Yeah we usually meet up on the weekends, no party system makes it hard, but if we persevere we end up on the same team, kicking ass and taking names, being part of the Clan makes find other gaffers that much easier you just need to tell me your PSN ID and I'll invite you to join the clan.

- I won't lie to you, you will get pwned badly at the start especially in a Warhawk, but the learning curve is alright shouldn't take too long to get into, a bit of advice if you're on the opposite team to either Sea Mankey or freethought and you're both in the air, GTFO of the Warhawk and land, you're survival rate increases by 10%. :lol

Another bit of advice, don't try and get the flag in capture the flag at the start or at least approach the flag slowly, if people are half as inventive as me when placing mines you won't get anywhere near it till you start studying the patterns.

Thanks very much man. My PSN ID is: Huggers

I should pick the game up in the next day or two, looking forward to it

spwolf

Sea Manky said:
Am I the only one who hasn't actually experienced any cheating? I know of the invisible tanks, but I've never been hit by one. What's it like?

i didnt notice it really.... too many servers, games, ppl playing, to notice it, it would have to be major pain...

User 406

Banned
I have the hardest damn time using the tank to shoot down warhawks when they're hovering, I have no idea how anyone manages to hit one on the fly.

Hug Dog, if you've played any tough air combat games (Ace Combat does not count :p) you'll have a leg up in Warhawk. If not, here's a tip:

BOOST. BOOST. BOOST. A lot of people in this game who complain about getting shot down a lot fly like grannies. When they take off they slowly hover to a ridiculously high level. When they switch to flight mode, they stay at normal speed and bank around randomly until they decide where to go. Then they die. If you don't intend to fight in a warhawk and want to avoid being shot down, decide where you're going first, take off fast, BOOST, and land at your target quickly. You can cover the entire map in a matter of seconds, but most people just mosey along like there's no rush. They only discover the boost button after fifty bajillion missiles are locked on to them. :p

There are dogfight only servers if you want to practice your air game without the added frustration of having to leg it to a new warhawk after each respawn. Yes, you'll die a lot, but that's how you get good. That goes for the ground game too. Jump into the fray. Dying isn't a problem if you BOOST back to the battle. ;)

Look at your map a lot. Keep in mind that you can pick your spawn point with the d-pad.

Be aware of your teammates and check your fire when they're in the way. Don't toss grenades at enemies if your teammates are in close combat with them.

Learn how zones work. To capture an enemy zone you need to be next to the zone flag. To grow one of your zones, you just have to be within the colored circle on your map. And if you're within one of your zones and the bar is shrinking, there's an enemy sneaking around the zone flag, go kill him.

In capture the flag, take bases. If your team controls the battlefield, then when the flag carrier is killed, your guys will be able to respawn nearby while the enemy will have to come all the way from their base, plus you'll have tons of vehicles and they'll have few.

Communicate. Point out trouble spots to your teammates. If you're taking a zone and you notice a zone across the map shrinking, you might not be able to get there in time, but someone else might. Declare what you're going to do. If you call out what base you're taking, the guy behind you can decide go take another base at the same time or back you up if it looks like you're going into a hot zone. But don't constantly call for support, that gets annoying. :p

Try out all the weapons and vehicles. Don't get stuck on one single thing you think you're best at. I've seen too many guys who claim they're useless outside of a tank, so at the start of a zones game when both our team and the enemy are confined to our main base, and we've got tons of fresh warhawks and jeeps there, they jump in a tank and creep along. They could have just boosted to a base, taken it, and gotten in the tank that spawns THERE. Then they wouldn't have taken five minutes to be at the front lines in a tank. Then there's the guys who only camp a single sniper rifle spawn way in the backfield where there's nothing to shoot. And of course, the inevitable flag defense campers. :p Don't be like that, be versatile.

Just look at the map, see what needs to be done, get there fast, and do it.

Firewire

Banned
GAFe is pretty well dead, I seem to be the only one that plays, not even Click is on anymore. Hell I don't think I've seen our leader LJ11 on at all, its depressing!

lunlunqq

Firewire said:
GAFe is pretty well dead, I seem to be the only one that plays, not even Click is on anymore. Hell I don't think I've seen our leader LJ11 on at all, its depressing!

I'm still playing, too. Just not as much as I used to. What should I do to get involved in the new GAF clan meet-ups?

Madman

Sea Manky said:
I have the hardest damn time using the tank to shoot down warhawks when they're hovering, I have no idea how anyone manages to hit one on the fly.
I don't know that there is any solid advice I can give. I guess the standard would be lead the target if they are moving, but it's best to wait until they come to a stop. Most experienced Warhawk pilots know that all you have to do is circle around the tank firing missles and machine guns and you are basically untouchable, unless the guy in the tank is very good. But if you see someone hovering or even if they are flying by, just start firing away. It's less about lining up one perfect shot(unless you are really good) and more about just trying to get as many shells up there as possible.

User 406

Banned
When you spawn near a tank, you feed it your two grenades, die, spawn again, repeat until tank is shrapnel. :D

And I've spent the morning in a dogfight server playing with the lightning gun. I'm just not feeling it. Sure, it does a wicked amount of damage rapidly, but then again, so does my machine gun, and then I also get to have missiles locking while it's chewing up the target. As it is, in order to get kills credited to the lightning gun, I really have to hold back. On the rare occasions where a machine gun/missile combo doesn't finish him off and I overheat my guns, I suppose the lightning gun is a good backup, but the damn thing is too scarce and has too few shots to justify working my attack style around it. I simply take people down faster with machine guns and missiles.

I'll keep playing with it, and get used to using it without any awkwardness, but I don't think it'll ever be more than a, "Oh, I'm out of missiles and I have this" kind of weapon for me.

My tactic with the lightning gun is to charge it whenever I'm away from the fighting and let it go as soon as I have a target; then I shoot my guns, release a couple of swarms and let the lightning take care of the rest. I rarely use the single shots as, like Manky, I find missiles to be far more effective. It's extremely effective against Tanks though (uncharged), probably even more than swarms due to the quicker speed of the projectile.

Apparently (according to my stats) I only have 15 or so kills with the lightning gun though. Not sure what's going on there.

carlos

Sea Manky said:
When you spawn near a tank, you feed it your two grenades, die, spawn again, repeat until tank is shrapnel. :D

And that's why you're the king of deaths ;)
I kid, I actually do the same thing, respawn as many times as it takes.

Oh and please people. if someone gets in a warhawk with you, please let him down asap or go capture a spawn point so he can get out.

The other day I was taken for a ride (at cruising speed,no less, around the edge of the map) the guy shot at no one and just ran away when he was locked onto. this went on for over 4 minutes, I was begging for someone to shoot us down and put me out of my misery.
I actually quit that game because of this, since the stupidity of it all just kept going and going

Anybody have some nefarious tactics with mines? It's my favorite weapon to use, I relish being cheap.

My favorite thing to do in the Ruined Capitol is to load up on mines and watch the enemy bases in the outlying buildings on my radar, especially the home base... I wait 'till it looks like nobody's there, then I quickly boost over there in a Warhawk and land on a ledge. I ignore the base and run out to the Warhawks sitting on the ledges, sticking mines on 4 of them and using another to get outta there. 15 seconds later, dudes spawn and blow up when they try to enter a Warhawk. And I smirk.

carlos said:
I kid, I actually do the same thing, respawn as many times as it takes.

Oh and please people. if someone gets in a warhawk with you, please let him down asap or go capture a spawn point so he can get out.

The other day I was taken for a ride (at cruising speed,no less, around the edge of the map) the guy shot at no one and just ran away when he was locked onto. this went on for over 4 minutes, I was begging for someone to shoot us down and put me out of my misery.
I actually quit that game because of this, since the stupidity of it all just kept going and going

Just suicide dude. Some dicks enjoy annoying others, that's what makes them dicks.

Good games there Steroyd, Trevelyan. Another bloodbath, some good players on our team.

Steroyd

lol yeah that team was resiliant I liked that, a bit lame with the mines though too predictable or never used them, although I was Trevelans bitch for a little bit, oh just wait till I play Warhawk full time, I'll be back. :mad:

Wow I lurve this as a sub-forum the clan is growing. :O

Steroyd said:
lol yeah that team was resiliant I liked that, a bit lame with the mines though too predictable or never used them, although I was Trevelans bitch for a little bit, oh just wait till I play Warhawk full time, I'll be back. :mad:

Wow I lurve this as a sub-forum the clan is growing. :O

Yeah, great suggestion, the new and improved Online forum is buzzing with activity.

Steroyd

I can still send you an invite PSN ID lunlunqq?

Christ almighty I'll have to add you tomorrow "authentication server not responding."

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sea Manky said:

And I've spent the morning in a dogfight server playing with the lightning gun. I'm just not feeling it. Sure, it does a wicked amount of damage rapidly, but then again, so does my machine gun, and then I also get to have missiles locking while it's chewing up the target. As it is, in order to get kills credited to the lightning gun, I really have to hold back. On the rare occasions where a machine gun/missile combo doesn't finish him off and I overheat my guns, I suppose the lightning gun is a good backup, but the damn thing is too scarce and has too few shots to justify working my attack style around it. I simply take people down faster with machine guns and missiles.

I'll keep playing with it, and get used to using it without any awkwardness, but I don't think it'll ever be more than a, "Oh, I'm out of missiles and I have this" kind of weapon for me.

Lightning gun is great. I like using it for turrets. Fly low, pop up quickly, fire the lightning at full charge and a few mg bullets, flee to safety. It's hard to get kills with it because ppl have time to get out of the turret/place/tank before dying, that's the only issue. But it's effective in taking that plane/turret out of the battle for a little while. It can't compare to regular ol' missiles and mg for killing power, though.

Huggers

Steroyd said:

Christ almighty I'll have to add you tomorrow "authentication server not responding."

Royd my good man. Got Warhawk. Send me an invite for sure (PSN ID: Huggers).

P.S i am terrible at it :lol

rc213

Sea Manky said:

It can be hard when your not used to trying to take out a Warhawk with the tank. I used the mountains in the Badlands to test where my shell lands depending on how far I am shooting. Most of the time when you miss it's because your aiming to high or too low. I love using the tank to take out those bastards hovering that only use the TOW Missile.

Forgot to add that after a few times of getting owned by a Tank they usually come after me hard. Which makes them easier to kill because they focus on me while guys on foot kill them with the rocket launchers. :lol

Sea Manky said:
Sure, it does a wicked amount of damage rapidly, but then again, so does my machine gun, and then I also get to have missiles locking while it's chewing up the target.

The key is to combine it with machine gun fire. Close range with good aim will practically vaporize a guy. Of course you might risk accidentally getting a machine gun kill. But for practical (non-stat whoring purposes ;)) it's a mighty quick kill.

Any GAF game going tonight?

User 406

Banned
freethought said:
Apparently (according to my stats) I only have 15 or so kills with the lightning gun though. Not sure what's going on there.

That's my gripe, like commish said, the way the lightning gun works makes it better as a supplemental weapon, and tends to not get you a kill with it. I do admit, I'm aiming for the master badge for it, so that's coloring my perceptions currently, and I do like using it on tanks. But in a dogfight, missiles and machine guns, baby. Hukasmokincaterpillar, I might just resort to doing what you describe instead of doing this deliberate whittling to set up a finisher with the lightning. At least then I won't be holding back.

carlos said:

You kid, but you're 100% right! My philosophy is to charge heedlessly into the thick of things. I can play more conservatively, but I just love being aggressive the most. Typically when I'm low on health, my focus is doing as much damage as possible before I bite it. Been like that since the days of netrek.

Finally encountered CastleKingSide, one of the top guys in the combat/kills boards today in the dogfight servers. He's not bad, but kind of a mine whore. I kept drilling him a lot. Was expecting a bit better. :/

Edit: 37 lightning gun kills to go. Die for my master badge!

carlos

have you been playing today, sea manky? the clan status had you as online pretty much all day, but never in a game....

as for the lightning gun, I don't know if it's lag or what (I'm on a max 52kb upload :/), but it takes me around 8-9 shots PLUS the machine gun to finish someone off (yes, when the crosshairs red). So it really hasn't been helpful for me in air fights, just in close range hovering matches. (and since the max shots is now 10, its even less useful)

I played someone named JAC(some number) yesterday, I don't know whether he's really that good in the warhawk or there's something glitchy/laggy there, because every time he was in my sights and low on health he'd suddenly disappear (no, not invisibility) and after a couple seconds searching for him he'd show up behind me and blast me. Now that I think about it, his missles weren't giving me the warning beeping, so maybe it was a lag thing...

I'll be online in a while, if anyone's out there

lunlunqq

Steroyd said:

Thanks a lot, Steroyd. I will be expecting the invite tomorrow. Can't wait to play together with you guys. :D

spwolf

carlos said:
have you been playing today, sea manky? the clan status had you as online pretty much all day, but never in a game....

as for the lightning gun, I don't know if it's lag or what (I'm on a max 52kb upload :/), but it takes me around 8-9 shots PLUS the machine gun to finish someone off (yes, when the crosshairs red). So it really hasn't been helpful for me in air fights, just in close range hovering matches. (and since the max shots is now 10, its even less useful)

you know you can charge it, right? just hold the button and it will charge up, to "almost-deadly-1shot"...

User 406

Banned
Wow, some intense CTF matches there! Saw Vennt who I haven't seen on in a while.

Yeah carlos, I was on SCEE/SCEA dogfight servers most of the day. Guess the clan list still doesn't update right.

Steroyd, musashi is going to ask you for an invite. He was on tonight too.

Saw my first captain or major in the last set of games. Either he got Air Combat somehow or the rank glitching doesn't care about medal requirements. :p

Damn, I'm #4 in kills now. :X

carlos

That JAC 247 guy I mentioned before, seems he's at the top of the leaderboards in kills, so I guess he's for real; color me impressed

Steroyd

Wow I wakes up in the morning and more people want invites.

Warhawk thread officially revived. \o/

nuts not updating the new Warhawk clan list looks like a bad idea now. >_>

carlos

Sea Manky said:
Okay, now him I want to face. :D

And I'd like to see that :)
but it looks like he plays around 4am eastern time, so he must be european or west coast

I got kicked for the 2nd time ever due to tow missle collateral damage :(
quick question: when the camera switches to the missle cam, do both teams color markers show, or just your team, or neither? It seems random for me, there was only one of my teammates near the explosion, but I killed 5 at once (and 1 of the enemy) Doh'!

edit; thanks for the comment spwolf, I actually didn't know that charging it partially made it stronger (100 hours in and I'm still learning O.O)

icechai

the main advantage of the lightning gun comes when you use it like a supplemental pistol. It auto locks, fires fast, and deals good damage. Now this helps the most when you are tailing dogfight vets (freethought, manky, etc) and don't want to lock on with your missles... because if you do there goes 2 minutes of your life wasted circling each other while machine gunning and the occassional missle. No, if you trail a dogfight vet with the lightning gun, you can kill them before they go into their "dogfight mode." That's the power of the stealthy lightning gun spam :lol

Top Bottom