• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ha, some dude sent me a message asking me my KDR. I was kicking his ass all over the map for like 3 hours straight. Little does he know I spend most of my time dying trying to get the flag.

User 406

Banned
commish said:
Anyway, we can argue each side of this issue all night, but there's no right answer, since so much depends on your team, their team, which map you are on, which weapons/vehicle spawn near the node you capture, how big the teams are, etc.

I'll just say that if given the choice of defending a level 2 base by myself with the warhawk I came in against two guys in a warhawk, or trying to assault a level 2 base with a lone defender in a warhawk and a teammate in my warhawk, I'll pick the first choice every time. :)

Sea Manky said:
I'll just say that if given the choice of defending a level 2 base by myself with the warhawk I came in against two guys in a warhawk, or trying to assault a level 2 base with a lone defender in a warhawk and a teammate in my warhawk, I'll pick the first choice every time. :)

I'm sorry Commish but I'm with Manky all the way on this one. You've got a couple of seconds to get in my 'hawk, otherwise I'm out of there. Having the spawn is always the biggest advantage. Even if I only got it to level 1 and I die, chances are by the time I've respawned and taken the guys out, they won't have captured the spawn.

Steroyd

Something that annoys me in zones is that 9 times out of 10 I spawn furthest from a bloody Warhawk then by time I waste time trying to get a Warhawk everyone has nicked the ground vehicles. :/

commish

freethought said:
I'm sorry Commish but I'm with Manky all the way on this one. You've got a couple of seconds to get in my 'hawk, otherwise I'm out of there. Having the spawn is always the biggest advantage. Even if I only got it to level 1 and I die, chances are by the time I've respawned and taken the guys out, they won't have captured the spawn.

I still disagree that it makes that much difference if I wait around 10 seconds vs 4 seconds or whatever it is you do, at least not in the matches I've played. It's not as if I wait 2 minutes. I've never had much trouble overtaking that lone defender guarding that level 2 flag and capturing it myself, since you can get the jump on him and, if he's already captured a level, you can grab a superior weapon to his pistol. Then, capture one level or bring it back to neutral, run away from flag, and the guy will come running back to the flag, oblivious and then I kill him again. 99% of the population does this very same pattern :)

Anyways, the guy who asked about my KDR sent me another message and said that KDR is all that matters and winning is secondary at best. Love playing with these types of chaps!

Steroyd

I dunno I'm self concious of my KDR for some reason but I don't really care about it, I stop now and again to check during a round I blame my stat whore cousin he made me pay attention to this shit. :mad:

Of course the only stat I really care about is my Win/Loss ratio on each map. :eek:)

User 406

Banned
KDR is an excellent measure of how good you are at protecting yourself. :p

I don't think there's any one stat that inherently indicates skill. I'm primarily interested in winning when I play, but win/loss ratio is also pretty dependant on the teams you're on. Even stuff like warhawk ribbons can be gotten by mindlessly boosting over and grabbing the enemy flag repeatedly or being a flag defense whore.

I'd say it would be a combination of stats, as well as just seeing someone in action. You know a good player when you face him. For that matter, I wouldn't have the first clue about what a set of "good" stats would look like. :p There's a lot of different ways to be a good contributor to your team in this game, so skill isn't something monolithic or easily quantifiable.

That said, the guy with the most deaths in the game is clearly the hardest working player. XD

I'm not too concerned about my K/DR or any stats to be honest. When I see base campers racking up the points I always ask myself; are they actually having fun? I do play to win of course, ensuring my teams victory is my priority and usually ends up in a fun game. I have to admit though that I prefer rolling over a team than being rolled over. Of course a hard fought game with two equal teams is the most fun. That's the main reason I'm looking forward to clan battles.

Can I ask why this thread is still so fucking dead? Every time a Warhawk thread gets started in Gaming it's full of people who never post in here. Less than half of the clan post in here as well. I guess I'm asking this question in the wrong place and having such a small tight knit community (although with the time difference it sometimes feels like two really really small communities) generates a real sense of camaraderie, but we could easily fill up a server on clan night/day if more people kept an eye on the thread.

spwolf

freethought said:
I'm not too concerned about my K/DR or any stats to be honest. When I see base campers racking up the points I always ask myself; are they actually having fun? I do play to win of course, ensuring my teams victory is my priority and usually ends up in a fun game. I have to admit though that I prefer rolling over a team than being rolled over. Of course a hard fought game with two equal teams is the most fun. That's the main reason I'm looking forward to clan battles.

Can I ask why this thread is still so fucking dead? Every time a Warhawk thread gets started in Gaming it's full of people who never post in here. Less than half of the clan post in here as well. I guess I'm asking this question in the wrong place and having such a small tight knit community (although with the time difference it sometimes feels like two really really small communities) generates a real sense of camaraderie, but we could easily fill up a server on clan night/day if more people kept an eye on the thread.

why do you think it is dead? there is shit posted here on daily basis... it is one of the biggest threads in online forums...

As to the "base campers", unless there are 3 of them defending the base at all times, you will lose the match. I am not sure what is worse - people camping at base or people beserkingly going to grab the flag gazllion times without any strategy.

Ugh, character limit ftl.

I was thinking about clan night and it just occurred to me that the scheduled meet-up time is like 10am Pacific. Would the Eurogaf contingent be willing to push the official meet-up time back a few hours. Nothing crazy like the 3am GMT meet-up for Resistance but maybe 10pm or something. Just some food for thought.

Spwolf said:
why do you think it is dead?

Don't get me wrong, the situation is vastly improved since Evilores intervention but it's one of the least active of the big games in the Online forum. Plus, as I said, whenever a Warhawk thread is posted in Gaming I'm always surprised by the number of people playing. I'm not trying to insult anyone in here, I always have an absolute blast playing with you guys, but I can't help but feel this thread could be so much more.

Steroyd

I've already changed the clan night time to 8PM I'll get a clock converter for the other timezones been meaning to do that for ages.

commish

Sea Manky said:
KDR is an excellent measure of how good you are at protecting yourself. :p

I don't think there's any one stat that inherently indicates skill. I'm primarily interested in winning when I play, but win/loss ratio is also pretty dependant on the teams you're on. Even stuff like warhawk ribbons can be gotten by mindlessly boosting over and grabbing the enemy flag repeatedly or being a flag defense whore.

I'd say it would be a combination of stats, as well as just seeing someone in action. You know a good player when you face him. For that matter, I wouldn't have the first clue about what a set of "good" stats would look like. :p There's a lot of different ways to be a good contributor to your team in this game, so skill isn't something monolithic or easily quantifiable.

That said, the guy with the most deaths in the game is clearly the hardest working player. XD

Well that's what I told him. If I was concerned with solely my KDR, then I would only play CTF and I would just stay in a Warhawk the entire time and drop TOWs on people recapturing their flag (what he was doing). I just HATE losing. I'll die 200 times with no kills if it means we win.

I think the best way to determine skill is not over any stats, but just playing against someone. It's too easy to stat whore in this game and winning depends on your team too much (not that that's bad) - no matter how good you are, your team can sink your chances for winning if they suck and the other team doesn't. For example, last week I played against the absolute best pilot I've ever come across - bar none, no one even close, he was farking ridiculous - yet he finished in the middle of the points totals, died many times while trying to get the flag, and his team continually lost. However, in the air, I've never seen his equal.

User 406

Banned
Holy crap I'm playing horribly today. Suicide after suicide, missed shot after missed shot, utterly failing to finish air-to-air kills, I need to stop for a while. :X

Some really good well contested games today. Although I did get really frustrated when angelcage was the only gaffer on my team and the guys who got warhawks didn't take any zones at the start and we got completely hosed. >:|

commish

Any of you guys planning on getting into COD 4 in a few weeks? I'm still in love with Warhawk, but I planned on checking COD 4 out...

DireStr8s

Sea Manky said:
Holy crap I'm playing horribly today. Suicide after suicide, missed shot after missed shot, utterly failing to finish air-to-air kills, I need to stop for a while. :X

Some really good well contested games today. Although I did get really frustrated when angelcage was the only gaffer on my team and the guys who got warhawks didn't take any zones at the start and we got completely hosed. >:|

You're easily the best player I've seen. 20+ kills in dogfights, over 40 kills in one zones match. Just insane.

Steroyd said:
Something that annoys me in zones is that 9 times out of 10 I spawn furthest from a bloody Warhawk then by time I waste time trying to get a Warhawk everyone has nicked the ground vehicles. :/

A great way to get a Warhawk is to wait sometimes until they spawn, and then chose your point carefully so you can hop in one.

Generally, in Zones matches, I tend to focus on capturing key points around the map, and generally avoid always getting the center. The center is the absolute worst point, IMO, to try to capture 99% of the time. Your team will do better if they capture points AROUND the center, to gain more resources, than trying to fight for the center the entire time while a few members of the other team take out all the other bases. When your team runs for the center base, it's how they lose control of everything, and then end up getting spawn camped.

Another thing I noticed is that it's best to take zones from multiple points, and taking a jeep full of people = not a good idea. I find that a few different people running in from all angles will generally confuse the enemy. It requires a little coordination, but it works like a charm. Have one person fly in and land on the outer rim (NEVER LAND BY THE FLAG...mine dangers) and a couple other people drive in jeeps from other sides, then just bum rush them with rifles and proxy mines. They'll spawn and die, and before you know it, the point is yours. 4 people who are at least decently coordinated will overrun a Zones match in no time flat.

Steroyd

jeremy_ricci said:
A great way to get a Warhawk is to wait sometimes until they spawn, and then chose your point carefully so you can hop in one.

Destroyed capital and Ecudia are horrible because there's only one spawn point Ecudia on the large map has 2 spawn points and if you're slow enough you'll be left with no vehicles at all. :/

Steroyd said:
Updated announcement to sign up to the EUROPEAN (Sorry Sea_Mankey) Free for all Warhawk deathmatch tournament sign up on Warhawk community Forums at www.playstation.com

Ah, much appreciated. I hardly ever play plain old deathmatches though. Still, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

edit: I notice the superfluous 'e' is still popping up in Sea Manky's name. So what is he; a robot or aquatic pokémon?

Steroyd

freethought said:
Ah, much appreciated. I hardly ever play plain old deathmatches though. Still, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I played Deathmatch once... got WTFPWNED so badly it was shameful. :/
Mind you I did join mid game so it might have been different if I started from the beginning.

Debating wether to sign on, combat isn't my strong suit, placing mines and running like a bitch is.

edit: I notice the superfluous 'e' is still popping up in Sea Manky's name. So what is he; a robot or aquatic pokémon?

Oh shit I did it again? FFS! :lol

Mankey is a fighting pokemon from the original 150 when Pokemon started over 10 years ago, old habits die hard. :/

Steroyd said:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=156380

Might as well have a crack and get pwned.

Wait... I haven't joined just started phase one of joining, will have to keep an eye on the forum.

So is joining the public group all you can do right now? Man, I'm going to have to keep an eye on those forums now.

edit:Lot of smack talk in there, any other British GAFers joining? What about you continentals, will you be competing in your native tongue, or trying your luck in the English qualifiers with Steroyd and I?

Steroyd

Joining the group lets you see the invisible Warhawk forum when you click on the Jump to forum at the bottom of the page.

Sweet moley I went through a practice session ended up in a dogfight in Archipeligro 15 kills and I only died once. o_O

I need to concentrate more often I came top in a zones match as well okay nowhere near Sea_Manky type figures... but still, I kicked ass.

hey hey I spelt Mankey right for once...D'oh.

Steroyd

****ing character limit why does the PSP even have one. :/

Something I found odd in Dogfights is that why do people go after the TOW missile? They're useless.

I go there to Mine it up and I surprisingly get a kill from it everytime.

Steroyd said:
Joining the group lets you see the invisible Warhawk forum when you click on the Jump to forum at the bottom of the page.

Sweet moley I went through a practice session ended up in a dogfight in Archipeligro 15 kills and I only died once. o_O

I need to concentrate more often I came top in a zones match as well okay nowhere near Sea_Manky type figures... but still, I kicked ass.

So... I'm in with a shot? :D

So the PSP has the same idiotic character limit as the PS3, huh? I'm sick of it, I tell you. I still won't be able to afford a new PC for months either. I'm sick I tell ya, sick.

Steroyd

Yeah the character limit is way less than the PS3... WAY less.

I wonder which mod I can bug, to make sure that if I made a EU Warhawk Tourney awareness thread in the games section my account won't get nuked.

Just checked the faq and erm... yeah... I'll let some else do it.

Steroyd

This is farking rediculous I just got promoted to bloody Brigadier Gen. one rank away from the highest rank in the whole game.

spwolf

Steroyd said:
This is farking rediculous I just got promoted to bloody Brigadier Gen. one rank away from the highest rank in the whole game.

haha, how many hrs do you have clocked in?

that will be fixed this week and we will see "how the Mighty have fallen"

User 406

Banned
Man, I wish I could be in that DM tourney. Why does Europe always get the awesome stuff like official tournaments and universal health care? :(

carlos

Damn, I would've liked to get some play time in the last few days, but I'm leaving on vacation for a few weeks and I've been working my butt off trying to get my affairs in order before I leave.
I think my hardcore playing days may be coming to a close, by the time I get back from the trip It'll be time for the holiday rush and the deluge of games on the way.

I still hope to see you guys on clan nights/meetups, and hopefully the upcoming patches will improve the game/community....
See y'all later! :)

User 406

Banned
Deluge of games that you can wait to come down to $20 or less!

Even before Warhawk, I had decided to go cheap-ass this gen, but damn if it doesn't make it easier to stick to. XD

carlos

Sea Manky said:
Deluge of games that you can wait to come down to $20 or less!

Even before Warhawk, I had decided to go cheap-ass this gen, but damn if it doesn't make it easier to stick to. XD

That's the best part of the holiday season, getting presents you didn't have to pay for ;)
I do agree with you that warhawk is helping me ignore other games, though.

I guess it'll all depend on the longevity of those new games (to tell the truth, I'm still not sure of what I'd like to play).

rc213

(Things that bug me...)
(1)One this that bothers me in this game is when guys use the colors red/blue on their suit. It makes it that much harder to decide whether or not to nuke a group of enemies because they are in there.

(2)Also I hate guys that see you right above them trying to help by taking out a enemy which is on foot but they refuse to back away from the guy so you can nuke him with missiles.

Kalren

Steroyd said:

I got this too. I know I'm ok at the game, but I laugh when I see my rank. I do like the warhawk colours.

Also, I have to say I don't like the fact we have to wait till December to get the tank glitch fixed. It's been a problem for several weeks(a month?) and it means we have to wait a minimum of 4 more weeks for a solution. At the same time they are going to update and include an in game store? I know it's a seperate issue to do, but it bothers me as I feel game issues should be addressed before they try to micro transaction us.

Great game though. On sunday I got a 6 person binocular kill, my highest yet.

User 406

Banned
rc213 said:
(Things that bug me...)
(1)One this that bothers me in this game is when guys use the colors red/blue on their suit. It makes it that much harder to decide whether or not to nuke a group of enemies because they are in there.

Honestly, after the sneak peek at the high ranking outfits and their scheme of reusing older models (but now with garish oversaturated logo color in random spots!), and the godawful flashy warhawk paint jobs, a global rank correction will be a big relief for the eyes.

I'm terrified that in a patch/expansion, Incognito will allow you to pimp your jeep or tank. >_<

icechai

Sea Manky said:
Honestly, after the sneak peek at the high ranking outfits and their scheme of reusing older models (but now with garish oversaturated logo color in random spots!), and the godawful flashy warhawk paint jobs, a global rank correction will be a big relief for the eyes.

I'm terrified that in a patch/expansion, Incognito will allow you to pimp your jeep or tank. >_<

Some of the Warhawk paintjobs are refreshing, and having garish customizable coloring on your outfit makes it more fun since people can dress themselves up. Guild Wars has survived so long with their same sets of armor but the ability to custom paint, makes you realize that its quite popular with the masses. Pimping out a jeep and tank would be fun as well! People could hold impromptu jeep destruction derby type races or something without getting confused :D

Steroyd

spwolf said:
haha, how many hrs do you have clocked in?

that will be fixed this week and we will see "how the Mighty have fallen"

I think I've clocked about 60 - 70 hours, that's nothing compared to Sea_Manky minus 'e' 280+ (last time I checked) though.

Noo I want to glitch to the highest rank even for a minute.

User 406

Banned
icechai said:
Some of the Warhawk paintjobs are refreshing, and having garish customizable coloring on your outfit makes it more fun since people can dress themselves up. Guild Wars has survived so long with their same sets of armor but the ability to custom paint, makes you realize that its quite popular with the masses. Pimping out a jeep and tank would be fun as well! People could hold impromptu jeep destruction derby type races or something without getting confused :D

I like the warhawk paint jobs that are based on old WWII planes, but NOT the ones based on 16-bit destop pattern textures from the 1990s. :|

I don't ever want to be carrying the flag and then have to take the gunner spot in a jeep that's covered in a flame texture more suited to a geocities page. :(

Well, whatever, y'all just keep making yourselves easier targets. :p

Sea Manky said:
Fun games this morning, and I got my Warhawk TOW Missile badge! :D

Those GS guys were whiny little bitches, awesome. A lot of whining in those Badlands TDM's earlier too; "you stole my kill!". This one guy just went mental after I nailed the guy he was chasing. :lol

Steroyd said:

The TOW isn't useless entirely, as it's faster than the Warhawk, I think, so if you're good, you can get kills in the air with it. Extremely dangerous.

Steroyd

While the TOW is faster it has nowhere near the maneuverability which makes nailing Warhawks in a dogfight useless unless they're in Hover mode.

User 406

Banned
Oddly enough, I did score a TOW kill on a warhawk hovering well above the ground today.

I might have to experiment with using it in dogfights, in those times where you're playing chicken with another pilot while you both lock missiles it could be a fun surprise. :D

Sea Manky said:
Oddly enough, I did score a TOW kill on a warhawk hovering well above the ground today.

I might have to experiment with using it in dogfights, in those times where you're playing chicken with another pilot while you both lock missiles it could be a fun surprise. :D

I got Click with a mid-air TOW kill once, I don't think he was hovering either. I was very proud.

Top Bottom