• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Steroyd

Holy crap that deathmatch me and Sea_Manky was in with that server with the wierd modes... I came 11th. ;_;

I blame me not being prepared first thing I did was jump in a Warhawk and flew around for 5-10 minutes, I'm so ill-prepared.

At least I got a few badges.

Never heard of X-League.tv.

User 406

Banned
Yeah, that was a fun server, lots of odd modes on maps nobody uses, and no score limits! :D

Gotta go do some shopping, otherwise I'd probably have stayed. Nice to see so many gaffers on there. :)

spwolf

Sea Manky said:
Yeah, that was a fun server, lots of odd modes on maps nobody uses, and no score limits! :D

Gotta go do some shopping, otherwise I'd probably have stayed. Nice to see so many gaffers on there. :)

i was playing for a while tonite (nmook) and noticed how official servers were pretty damn full... took me a while to get into CTF server (luckily refreshing now works).

Steroyd

GAZERK said:
Hey Steroyd, could I possibly get an invite to the GAF clan?

I'm tryin' but the bloody invite glitch got me at 51. :mad:
Hold on wasn't patch 1.1 supposed to fix that?

I've got your PSN ID on the pending list so you won't be forgotten.

Been meaning to bitch on the PS forums about that.

rc213

Bleh, Had to get that Bandit 4x4 again cause it didn't register yesterday. Almost had the Master 4x4 Badge, Had the guy in my sights and the game ended just as he hit my bumper. Bastards didn't give me the kill. =c

Steroyd

I hate 4x4 kills sometimes I'm driving 1mph and I get a kill more often a teamkill then another I'm kamakazeeing into people and the suckers won't go down.

rc213

Steroyd said:
I hate 4x4 kills sometimes I'm driving 1mph and I get a kill more often a teamkill then another I'm kamakazeeing into people and the suckers won't go down.

Island Outpost CTF is the place to do it, Just took me 2 jeep drives into their main base to get all 5 kills.

Steroyd said:

Did it not? I was meaning to ask but it kept slipping my mind.

last morning i did a huge(for my standard)amount of kills on a ctf match,50+ kills with the good old bombing car's method:lol 150 point without even touching the flag,and with a malus of 33 points too:lol
Anyway i have to take that damn 4x4 bandit too to rank up 3 places,it's damn hard to get :(

Steroyd

freethought said:
Did it not? I was meaning to ask but it kept slipping my mind.

No I still get a send error.

Anyway i have to take that damn 4x4 bandit too to rank up 3 places,it's damn hard to get :(

Ecudia CTF Md (24 player) type map keep driving round the back of their base and drive out, keep circling.

It helps if the other team sucks enough to not put landmines on the ground, and if your team gets the flag and drops the flag on the bridge. :D

rc213

CTF Standoff on the Island Outpost is so awesome. I just kept driving/flying with fresh Mines over and over and just dropping mines everywhere. I also had Tow Missile strike with like 13-15 kills in 1 shot, They had mined up their base so when I Towed it I got half Tow kills and Half Mine kills using their own mines. :lol

User 406

Banned
Stop bitching about the 4x4 Bandit badge, I still need to get another 321 4x4 kills to get the Warhawk badge! :p

Seriously though, if you just want the badge easy, PLAY DEATHMATCH. One round, just drive around, you will get enough road kills. Everyone is shooting everyone else, so there's plenty of opportunities to catch someone not looking.

Also, master the 4x4 quick draw. When you ram into another jeep head on and you both stop, immediately hit down on the d-pad and square and start hammering him with the machine gun. I've taken out tanks this way. You can also pull up to a safe distance from an enemy troop and let him have it. Lately, when I've got the flag and an enemy warhawk plops down in front of me to stop me cold, I've been switching to the machine gun and killing them pretty effectively. The 4x4 gun is severely underrated.

Steroyd said:

Mucho gracias.

icechai

freethought said:
Man, I just played the weirdest games with Steroyd. No matter how uneven the teams got there was just no balancing. The last game I played was 10 onto 6. It was a Sony server too. I'm not sure what was going on. We had a handful of good offensive players but we were just getting swarmed. Still, I owned them in the air in a Destroyed Capital TDM. :D

edit: Yeah, sorry about your hand Icechai. How'd it happen?

martial arts, broadsword (the thing you see Jet Li use in his old movies), left hand didnt move away fast enough in practice, big gash near thumb. but luckily no nerve damage

numble

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
So I deleted this after the patch fucked it up. Redownloaded it, it failed.

Redowloaded it again, successfully. Will not install though.

what the fuck is going on, that might count as 4 of the 5 times I can download it for god sake.

Dylan Jobe said on the Playstation forums that Warhawk doesn't use the 5-time download limit.

Steroyd

icechai said:
martial arts, broadsword (the thing you see Jet Li use in his old movies), left hand didnt move away fast enough in practice, big gash near thumb. but luckily no nerve damage

Which is why I used to do Karate. O_O

Raist

Banned
Heh, this game has a whole new look in HD. With stardust, I think it's the game that shows the most improvements on IQ and details.

Anyway. Haven't played at all lately. Are more gaffers playing now ? Because after the "thread sent to die" incident we were always the same 4-5 to play :/

And how's patch 1.1 btw ? :eek:

Steroyd

The patch just fixes the stats, patch 1.2 is where it really gets interesting.

The newly formed Gaf clan has different people on at different times of the day, heck sometimes we can have 5- 7 Gaffers on one team. :D

Raist said:

I can't speak for anyone else but I haven't had a single problem joining a game since the patch. I did get booted of an SCE server an hour or two after I installed it though.

User 406

Banned
I had a problem joining a game just once. It did the typical "Joining Game..." for way too long, but then told me "Unable to join game" instead of "Game full". So there's that.

I've had no freezes so far, so now that I've said that, I'll probably get one now. :p

The Sony server disconnected on my last night when i was kicking ass. I re-logged in and found the server I was on. I get in and it put me on the losing team =\

spwolf

Raist said:
Heh, this game has a whole new look in HD. With stardust, I think it's the game that shows the most improvements on IQ and details.

Anyway. Haven't played at all lately. Are more gaffers playing now ? Because after the "thread sent to die" incident we were always the same 4-5 to play :/

servers are full these days... there was a lot of other things fixed in 1.1., so for insance, SCEE servers properly show status now, so you can grab space on servers easier.

Cant wait for 1.2.

btw. did they make world lighter with 1.1? looks good.

Sea Manky said:
I had a problem joining a game just once. It did the typical "Joining Game..." for way too long, but then told me "Unable to join game" instead of "Game full". So there's that.

I've still had no problems and with all the time you put into the game, only one error seems like a huge improvement. Still, I had hoped they had fixed the problem completely. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

Spwolf and I were just in some really painful zones games before. Most of the guys in there were dumb as fuck. This one guy kept getting in warhawks even though he had literally no clue what he was doing. Add to that fuckers constantly taking warhawks to the nearest zones and guys shrinking the enemy base even though we didn't have a single fucking zone. Oh and I forgot about the DC game where for the first 5 minutes there were only 4 of us actually leaving the base.

Basically it was the perfect storm of stupidity.

Ragnarok10

I'd say the server connection issues are much improved. I still get the occasional "Game Full" message when there are seemingly open slots but now the message comes instantly instead of waiting 30 secs like before. Even this has become rare and I'm pretty consistently getting into 31/32 games on the first try. :D

spwolf

Ragnarok10 said:
I'd say the server connection issues are much improved. I still get the occasional "Game Full" message when there are seemingly open slots but now the message comes instantly instead of waiting 30 secs like before. Even this has become rare and I'm pretty consistently getting into 31/32 games on the first try. :D

yeah, you get game full because other ppl were faster...

User 406

Banned
Arrrrggghhhh!

Xostas kept running in front of my jeep and I got kicked for teamkilling. :X

Oh well, I need to start frying chicken anyway. Some great games there guys! :D

Trevelyan

Banned
I'll most likely be hopping on for some games around 7est or whenever the Colts/Pats game ends. Hopefully some of you will still be on to kick ass with :D

Steroyd

:lol awesome games specially the mini Ecudia map.

A grenade was a garaunteed TK, surprised I didn't get kicked out.

Musashi will be long remembered for that epic teamkill. :lol

Kalren

Sea Manky said:
Arrrrggghhhh!

Xostas kept running in front of my jeep and I got kicked for teamkilling. :X

Oh well, I need to start frying chicken anyway. Some great games there guys! :D

Sorry about that :D

It was kinda funny how you would alway gravitate to me with that jeep of yours, because I certainly wasn't trying to die ;)

sagat2036

yeah but i figured non ranked server wth go nuts. Its not like i had a chance in the air. like shooting fish in a barrel. my main goal was take out flag carrier. that blue team had no mics in the group. I ended up getting kicked using the nades to much.

Steroyd said:
:lol awesome games specially the mini Ecudia map.

A grenade was a garaunteed TK, surprised I didn't get kicked out.

Musashi will be long remembered for that epic teamkill. :lol

:lol Yeah, that was a good one. There was that one game where you, me and Manky all got a flag carrier TK (pretty sure Manky and I got each other :lol).

The instant flag returns really changed the game, I liked it. Those 5 second respawns are a bitch though, any rationale for not allowing the normal 2 second respawns in player servers?

~Devil Trigger~ said:
ummm is Wingman > Comander?

..or did the patch fuck me?

cuz i dont have the customizations i've unlocked anymore....

Wingman is way < than comander.

You haven't been fucked though, it's what you should have.

Steroyd

freethought said:
:lol Yeah, that was a good one. There was that one game where you, me and Manky all got a flag carrier TK (pretty sure Manky and I got each other :lol).

The instant flag returns really changed the game, I liked it. Those 5 second respawns are a bitch though, any rationale for not allowing the normal 2 second respawns in player servers?

I don't even remember when I TK'ed the flag carrier. :lol

the 5 second spawn drove me nutz though, the urgency to get the flag or save the flag carrier and I'm sitting there waiting for the timer to go down, felt like screaming down the mic.

Someone was bitching about that at one point.

I was really against this game because of its lack of SP, and vowed to never play it. But a bud gave me a free copy, so I decided to give it a whirl and now I am hopelessly addicted to it. Best online console gamer ever IMO, but for all the love I have for it and how fun it is, man do I suck. I have logged 5 hours into it, but I only have like 150 points, is that bad, average, or just plain suckage?

User 406

Banned
Wow, you guys haven't been in any games with the five second limit before? They're all over the place. I don't have a problem with it, it's a good subtle adjustment to the game dynamic, makes base defense a bit harder and dying a bit more serious, which can be a good thing.

Heh, I'm so used to the five seconds that when I'm on a server that's set at two, I'm surprised at how fast I'm back in the game. XD

methos, five hours in you're probably still getting used to everything, don't sweat the points. Once you've got a handle on how to shoot, drive, and fly, and start learning where important pickups are and how to properly approach each game type, you'll start racking them up.

no doubt, I am getting a hang on the flight and getting decent but not great. I mostly just do base defense and set in the turrents, getting really good at downing Warhawks now and had several games where I just completely denied the Air to the other side due to my turrent use

Steroyd

Yeah takes a while to get used to, I was checking my stats and I'm averaging around 1000 points a day when I play Warhawk (or when I check my stats), looks like I've cooled down on landmine usage, though 500+ landmine kills, if I kept the rate I was going when I started Warhawk, I'd have my Warhawk landmine badge by last month.

Steroyd

Yeah that clan server thing in patch 1.2 can't come fast enough. :S

It's like everytime a member of Gaf is on the other team we don't steamroll that team no mores.... or at least I get killed more, curse you HellsHalfHalo.

tha_con

Banned
Iron_Scimitar said:
Went from glitched Air Marshall to Airman 1st Class. Wowzers.

Fixed :p

I dropped down to Chief SGT, trying to work back up. I need about 300 more points until I rank up to Wingman or something? Getting Captain will be freaking TOUGH.

Oh man, I had to bail out of the game I just joined with Manky and Steroyd, sorry guys. I was taking the middle base with a tank, there was a guy on one of the ramps but he was stuck mid-run and flashing. Then rockets started appearing from nowhere in the opposite direction and I died. Turned out to be Sea Manky and then the camera panned to the glitching guy. Turned out my ping was nearly 400!

Steroyd

Dayum what was you doing to that team you was steamrolling Manky?

I just joined late to the party and had to hold the middle base on my lonesome against you. ;_;

Still managed 100 + points in that round so it's not all bad.

So a higher ping is a bad thing?

Then why do I lag absorb weapons on low ping SCEE servers all the time? :mad:

User 406

Banned
Actually, I joined that game late too, they were already up a point when I came in. Freethought, I was hiding around the corner from the tank so I just waltzed in behind you with rocket launcher and grenades. Man, I love that combo. :D

I think my favorite bit was where Steroyd was in the jungle next to the center base and I was having trouble strafing him through all the trees, then I was like, "Hey, he's here for the mines!" YOINK! Grabbed the mines and flew back into the base. XD

I'm making lunch now, be back on afterwards.

Steroyd

So the team I was on was just plain lame.

I saw what you did collecting the mines, and wus like O'shit! :O

I nearly got them all too but once again I see a mine in advance back off and find out I was too close with that damn one second delay. >_<

I tried to rocket launch your ass in the jungle but the damn trees coupled with you being at just the right distance and your warhawk strafing...bah.

GoncaloCCastro said:
Loved those games last night, but going against Steroyd, Manky and Freethought is hard as hell...

I have to say you scored a great kill on me last night. I was escaping across the lower bridge on Eucadia with a flag and I see you tear past me in a warhawk and land on the other side of the hill. I'm thinking 'what the hell is he doing?' Then you got back in the plane and bugged out, so now I'm really confused. I keep going regardless of your strange behaviour and then 'BOOM', straight into the mine you just laid. All my team heard was me shouting "YOU FUCKER!". Top notch kill, I liked it a lot.

edit: When I say rockets were appearing from nowhere they were quite literally appearing from nowhere. You just weren't showing up on my screen. It was too late to do anything anyway though, that rocket/grenade combo takes down tanks fast.

freethought said:
I have to say you scored a great kill on me last night. I was escaping across the lower bridge on Eucadia with a flag and I see you tear past me in a warhawk and land on the other side of the hill. I'm thinking 'what the hell is he doing?' Then you got back in the plane and bugged out, so now I'm really confused. I keep going regardless of your strange behaviour and then 'BOOM', straight into the mine you just laid. All my team heard was me shouting "YOU FUCKER!". Top notch kill, I liked it a lot.

Because you had a Warhawk protecting you I decided to try something else instead of shooting the jeep. I'm glad it worked.

Top Bottom