• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Jaeyden

This scenario is the perfect justification for in game XMB, or at the least, messaging. I'm really surprised that a game like this launched with the limited communication tools that it has...and even more surprised that nothing has been implemented in the updates since. Up until now it hasn't really been an issue, since my game play has consisted of just jumping into official servers or joining anyone on my friends list that I see. But organized matches changes everything. Insomniac needs to have a little sit down with Incognito and get them up to snuff. :D

ChryZ

BoilersFan23 said:
CAG wants to play you all this weekend. The clan leader there was asking how many people you plan to create a server for (CAG will provide a server sometime in the future, which can support 20 players). There should be no issues getting enough to show up, since the previous Warhawk night had over 17 show up.
Just checked the challenge thread at CAG:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3800420

The Mana Knight said:
Well, I'm definitely think CAG is ready for a clan match against GAF. I just need to know the server name (I cannot host this weekend), how many people can we have show up, and the day/time. I'll be sure the word gets out when GAF comes to a decision.
My reply:

ChryZ said:
GAF VS CAG 1/12 (this Caturday), 20:00/8PM-GMT
(=21:00/9PM-CET, 15:00/3PM-EST, 12:00/noon-PST8PDT)

We tried to play with B3D last weekend and it was a mess. They only showed up with 3-4 people and we never managed to have proper clan match, because they were not able to fill their team.

So with CAG we'll first try to have a clan match, in any case of imbalance (skills, number of player, lack of tuna cans) we'll switch to a mixed team server and just play together.

We need the full CAG clan name, not just the tag (e.g. not just [CAG]). Our tag is [GAF] the full clan name is "GAF U". Those details are important for the setup of a clan server.

Server should be unranked, friendly fire 100%, include the default maps (we can add Omega Dawn on request, in case you Cheap Asses bought them ;P), Zones limit 5000, rotation of TDM/CTF/Zones.

Server name will be updated in this thread at the moment of the event.

All this is just for shits and giggles ... this is NOT serious business.

Steroyd

You forgot to add that we can fill a 12v12 server, see if they forfeit. :lol

This scenario is the perfect justification for in game XMB, or at the least, messaging. I'm really surprised that a game like this launched with the limited communication tools that it has...and even more surprised that nothing has been implemented in the updates since. Up until now it hasn't really been an issue, since my game play has consisted of just jumping into official servers or joining anyone on my friends list that I see. But organized matches changes everything. Insomniac needs to have a little sit down with Incognito and get them up to snuff.

We need Insomiac ninja's busting chops at Incognito, the sad part is that when I'm on my PS3 I have no access to my PC at all, because there's a high probability my sister has taken over, which rules out MSN messenging or a IRC channel for me. :(

Seriously lack of in-game messaging feature has only started to get to me this weekend... a year after launch.

deepbrown

Steroyd said:

We need Insomiac ninja's busting chops at Incognito, the sad part is that when I'm on my PS3 I have no access to my PC at all, because there's a high probability my sister has taken over, which rules out MSN messenging or a IRC channel for me. :(

Seriously lack of in-game messaging feature has only started to get to me this weekend... a year after launch.
Also it shouldn't be a technical problem. I can bring up a keyboard when I write clan messages...so what the hell is the problem!? Also mic stuff is a mess also. Communication in Warhawk sucks.

Ceb

It gets 10x worse when the host doesn't have a mic to let him explain all the random quits. I really need to buy a headset. Manky, Steroyd, freethought: What brand do you use? I can hear you all fine most of the time, so it's probably good.

Steroyd said:
They won't forfeit (they do play Warhawk every Friday night). A big game would be a cool idea.
Steroyd said:
It would be nice if Insomniac helped out Incognito, and made Warhawk setup like Resistance, with a party system and all.

mintylurb

BoilersFan23 said:
It would be nice if Insomniac helped out Incognito, and made Warhawk setup like Resistance, with a party system and all.
I think there's a better chance of finding WMD in iraq than warhawk getting resistance like party system.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, is it worth picking up the add on? I'd buy it, in hopes I can get back into the game some.

mintylurb

Lonestar said:
So, is it worth picking up the add on? I'd buy it, in hopes I can get back into the game some.
it's pretty good. although the addition of those big flying lobsters have introduced some frame rate drops and tearing. but the new map is a blast.

icechai

Lonestar said:

its not mind blowing, but the dropship does add a interesting dynamic to capture the flag, and plus seeing from far away your team's dropship shooting missles and lasers at enemy areas is just a sight to behold.

New map is alright, too many small alcoves, its hell for infantry walking around. Wish it was more open like the other maps. The map feels like it's made for 64 players but got limited to only 32 :(

User 406

Banned
Yeah, I've just got the pack-in Jabra headset, it's been just fine for me.

And the Omega Dawn map and dropships rock, lots of people don't know how to use the dropship, but when used properly with teamwork, it's quite a useful tool. Before it came out I was apprehensive about it breaking the awesome game balance of vanilla Warhawk, but it fits perfectly in the game with all the other vehicles. I'm now eagerly looking forward to the next expansion. :D

icechai

Sea Manky said:
Yeah, I've just got the pack-in Jabra headset, it's been just fine for me.

And the Omega Dawn map and dropships rock, lots of people don't know how to use the dropship, but when used properly with teamwork, it's quite a useful tool. Before it came out I was apprehensive about it breaking the awesome game balance of vanilla Warhawk, but it fits perfectly in the game with all the other vehicles. I'm now eagerly looking forward to the next expansion. :D

Manky is Warhawk's biggest fan :p But I also am looking forward to everything coming up from the devs. I do profess I use the dropship quite a lot, so I guess I'm making good use of the expansion (i'm that guy that grabs the flag carrier yelling into the mic "NEED DROPSHIP NEED DROPSHIP), points be damned (I usually get 30-40 less points per game because of more dropship usage)

Oh, congratz Warhawk for winning Shacknews GOTY Shacker's Choice DLC 2007

Ceb

I'm not a big dogfight fan, but I absolutely love the mode on Omega Factory. Lots of flying between steel girders and trying to shake people in the canyons.

i guess since i'm basing my experience on playing with random dimwits on public servers it could change but I was expecting the dropships to be way more stout. As they are, I'm not at all afraid of charging after them with a warhawk.

Jaeyden

onadesertedisland said:
i guess since i'm basing my experience on playing with random dimwits on public servers it could change but I was expecting the dropships to be way more stout. As they are, I'm not at all afraid of charging after them with a warhawk.

The more people in the dropship....the more dangerous it becomes. Once you've got at least two people on those missile turrets, it becomes alot more difficult to do anything to a dropship as a lone WH pilot.

Has anyone decided the game name and password yet, for the CAG vs. GAF clan battle? Just wanted to check.

By the looks of it, there should easily be 12 people showing up.

Steroyd

From our last couple of tries at this just making a clan server will be enough, depending on who's hosting it'll go.

Gaf hosting
GAF vs CAG

CAG hosting
CAG vs GAF

Still on for Saturday?

Just re-confirming because we somehow buggered that up last week as well.

ChryZ

Steroyd said:
From our last couple of tries at this just making a clan server will be enough, depending on who's hosting it'll go.

Gaf hosting
GAF vs CAG

CAG hosting
CAG vs GAF

Still on for Saturday?

The date is confirmed!

The last question is indeed: who's hosting? We got more experience with Clan vs Clan stuff and I'm pretty sure it would be smoother if GAF would run the party. Ceb did an awesome job with setting up the server and adjusting it to the situation at hand. The network errors were not his fault, I had them too on my end.

Ceb, would you do it again? Any other opinions?

Steroyd said:

Gaf hosting
GAF vs CAG

CAG hosting
CAG vs GAF

Still on for Saturday?

Yes, CAG is still on for Saturday at 3pm EST. 12pm PST, etc. We just need a password.

I'm thinking "gafcag" would be good or something, or just "gaf", since GAF will be hosting.

ChryZ

BoilersFan23 said:
GAF will be hosting.
We do? Woah, how did that happened? :lol

Server name and password are secondary concerns at the moment ;)

Oh, just for the record CAGs full clan name is "CAG Members".

Ceb

Sure, I can host. I've noticed I don't get these weird fluctuations in upload speed now. I'm feeling an itch to play, so I'd like to make it a Player Clan server. If I get network errors again, I'll make it a Dedicated Clan server.

If you have any suggestions for map rotations and sizes (mix of LG/MID?), might as well start posting them now. :)

ChryZ

Ceb said:
Sure, I can host. I've noticed I don't get these weird fluctuations in upload speed now. I'm feeling an itch to play, so I'd like to make it a Player Clan server. If I get network errors again, I'll make it a Dedicated Clan server.

If you have any suggestions for map rotations and sizes (mix of LG/MID?), might as well start posting them now. :)
Maps: just the plain vanilla stuff (not all CAGs got OD). Size: no preference here (anyone?) , surprise us ;)

The name of the server seems to be quite a subject, let's call it !gafvscag on Saturday (regardless of the setup, to keep it as simple as possible).

Word from CAG: best they'd be able to offer is 6v6 (this weekend).

Ceb

ChryZ said:

:(:(:(

Archipelago CTF is my fave combo. :)

Wow, I just had some really frustrating games together with Chryz and burnfout. What the hell's the matter with your teammates when they just fly past you while you're alone trying to recap the flag??? =/

Grayman

Wouldn't a lower player count be more interesting for a clan match anyways? More meaningful contributions per person, the choice of land/air/turret would matter more too

ChryZ said:
Maps: just the plain vanilla stuff (not all CAGs got OD). Size: no preference here (anyone?) , surprise us ;)

The name of the server seems to be quite a subject, let's call it !gafvscag on Saturday (regardless of the setup, to keep it as simple as possible).

They'll leave it up to GAF to come up with the matches, if they are going to be the home team. When CAG is the home team, they will come up with a map rotation.

Maybe there could be at least two games going on (if they most anyone can do is 6v6), where some go to one server and some go to another? May be a little messy. We (at CAG) were thinking you were going to do 12 vs. 12 (because of it being mentioned), but that's all right.

Ceb

BoilersFan23 said:
Maybe there could be at least two games going on (if they most anyone can do is 6v6), where some go to one server and some go to another? May be a little messy. We (at CAG) were thinking you were going to do 12 vs. 12 (because of it being mentioned), but that's all right.

Huh? We can host 12 vs. 12, but according to Chryz, CAG can only muster up 6 of their own troopers for this weeks' match. Now I'm confused. @_@

Ceb

The Take Out Bandit said:
They think they're playing deathmatch. Idiots. >:|

This might actually be true. I've noticed that since they lowered the points awarded for a flag recap, numbnuts rather spend their time trying to waste enemies for points.

mintylurb said:
CAG be scared! ;>

Looking at the CAG thread, I think I just misinterpreted Chryz. 24-player killtacular, yay. :D

Ceb said:
Huh? We can host 12 vs. 12, but according to Chryz, CAG can only muster up 6 of their own troopers for this weeks' match. Now I'm confused. @_@
No, CAG can get over 12 people for this week. There are currently a few people on reserve just in case any less than 12 don't show up (who will come later).
mintylurb said:
CAG be scared! ;>
We definitely are not. ;)

ChryZ

Ceb said:
Noooooo, it was in the context of server hosting ... not man power! Sorry for the misunderstanding!

mintylurb

BoilersFan23 said:
No, CAG can get over 12 people for this week. There are currently a few people on reserve just in case any less than 12 don't show up (who will come later).
We definitely are not. ;)
oh it's on!

Guled

I want to get in on this weekends battle. If you guys already have 12 guys, just put me on reserve. Have you guys decided on the time and server name & password?

Steroyd

@_@

12 v 12 we can do, when we asked for a challenge initially we could promise right there and then a 6v6 because that was the most we could promise at the time.

I don't think a password is neccesary setting up a clan server will shut out mere mortals, unless you're planning on keeping the password from your own clan mates.

User 406

Banned
Steroyd, you're the clan leader and you don't know? :p

I join the clan server last week, and being in the GAF clan, I'm put on the team with the other GAF people, and what's one of the first things I hear over my headset? "Oh shit, Manky's here!"

I'M ON YOUR TEAM! WTF?

I am not the boogieman! ;_;

Ceb, make that a DEATHMATCH dogfight. >:{

carlos

lol, it's comforting to know that manky's patrolling the skies (only when he's on your side)

btw, if it is a deathmatch dogfight, let's all gang up on Manky ;p

I'll be online in a couple of hours to get some practice in...

off topic, does anyone know if the 3rd party sixaxis's being sold at walmart are any good? (they have a transparent colored shell and are only 20 bucks)

Ceb said:
Sure, it'd make for some nice variation. FFA DM on OF. :D What's a suitable score limit for 24 players?
Usually CAG just does a time limit, when there's some dogfight DM or something. Although, at least with a score, no one can tie at the end.

Unfortunately the forum is down, but the word has gotten out mostly.

Top Bottom