• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

icechai

nice job guys! too bad it doesn't count this time. Does it count as a loss then Sea Manky? Or are they just going to redo this whole thing another day?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sea Manky said:
From what I understand we're going to do a rematch, so that didn't count.

:(

Oh damn. So how was that supposed to work exactly? We were supposed to play the rotation three times (Zones->TDM->CTF x 3) or each match three times (Zones x 3 ->TDM x 3 ->CTF x 3).

Steroyd

Have all 3 maps do 3 rounds, there's an option for it that's always overlooked because no-one ever uses it and the Sony servers never use it.

DireStr8s

So, I'm @ work now; I'll check this thread throughout the day & then, if all goes well, I'll be home @ 4:30. Looking foward to this:)

oh, btw, I sent a inspirational message to my Gaf U Psn friends...in case you guys were wondering what the hell that was about:) LETS MURDER THEM IN THE FACE!

User 406

Banned
TTP said:
Oh damn. So how was that supposed to work exactly? We were supposed to play the rotation three times (Zones->TDM->CTF x 3) or each match three times (Zones x 3 ->TDM x 3 ->CTF x 3).

Well, that's the part of the rules on consolegaming that I just can't seem to parse:

7. You can only win a round by accumulating the specified amount of points (Zones), by having more flags than the opposition (Capture the Flag) or by having the most number of kills (Team Deathmatch). If the time runs out then the team with the highest score wins that said round.
8. The winner is determined by the best of X number of maps per the challenge notes. If the notes say best of 5 maps then winning 3 maps will ensure the win. When playing best of 3, winning 2 maps will ensure the win.
9. If a round is drawn, then it counts towards the round count. For example, in a best of 5 round situation, if there are 4 draws and 1 win, the team with the 1 win will take that map. Sudden death happens if the round count reaches the agreed limit and no team has the advantage.
10. If a round was a tie, that round will need to be re-played upto conclude that map BEFORE moving on, to determin its winner.

Now in the challenge, it said, Rounds: 3, Maps: 3. That's what threw me since I just mentally equated rounds and maps. Apparently each round has a full set of maps, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the rules above explain how the scoring works with multiple rounds. And there's no explanation anywhere in the rules about what "sudden death" is.

Is there a non-english version of the rules on the site that's written better?

User 406

Banned
Okay, we still need to decide on the maps for the odd numbered games for today's match.

CSSer voted for:
Eucadia CTF - Battle for Eucadia
Archipelago ZNS - Island Warfare
Archipelago TDM - Castle Solitaire

Personally, I'd like the last TDM to be a dogfight. I'm cool with anything for the other two. Any other votes?

And I still need volunteers for Tuesday's 6pm EST/11pm GMT match.

mintylurb

Sea Manky said:
Okay, we still need to decide on the maps for the odd numbered games for today's match.

CSSer voted for:

Personally, I'd like the last TDM to be a dogfight. I'm cool with anything for the other two. Any other votes?
I don't mind those maps. Btw, does your ps3 still crashes while playing warhawk? I haven't seen you make any posts about it lately so if you changed some setting to fix that issue, please let me know.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sea Manky said:

CSSer voted for:

And I still need volunteers for Tuesday's 6pm EST/11pm GMT match.

I have no preferences. :)

BTW, who's gonna host today's match? It's a 8v8 therefore I can't.

User 406

Banned
Fortunately, FGC is going to host, so we just have to show up. :X

No other suggestions for maps? I kinda figured none of us would really care. :p

CSSer

So, any strategies or so for today's game? FGC's teamwork seems flawless from their match feedback/reports. We all just kind of fly around and support people whenever necessary >_>

Are we going to meet on that mibbit irc channel?

User 406

Banned
A little late for team strategy, since we haven't spent any time developing any. :p

The fact is, we haven't seen a team yet who had superior teamwork that was able to beat us. Perhaps FGC will show us what we're missing and motivate us to develop some. Or perhaps it will turn out that rigidly defined team roles aren't as effective as individual flexibility and good tactical judgement.

Besides, I have only one real strategy anyway:

soldier.jpg

I'm going to kill them all, sir.

carlos

as for the maps, the ones CSSer sugested are ok by me;
strategy? it shouldn't be posted here since it can be read by others (well, they would have to be gaf members to see the online forum) but maybe I'm a bit paranoid. I was hoping that's what a brief irc chat would be for. Just a few designations as for flag defense, mine and air mine suggestions, etc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CSSer said:
So, any strategies or so for today's game? FGC's teamwork seems flawless from their match feedback/reports. We all just kind of fly around and support people whenever necessary >_>

hearts-788977.jpg

"We're Marines, sir. We're paid to adapt, to improvise"

User 406

Banned
Yeah, we'll get together on mibbit. I was planning to do a post and send out a notification email about it maybe an hour before the match or so, but feel free to jump on and discuss/lurk if you want. Just use channel #gafhawk on the default mibbit server.

As for who's playing, here's our list of people who said they were available today:

Arkestra
Bloody_Marcel
burnfout
carlos
DireStr8s
methane47
mintylurb
pancakesandsex
RoH
Sea_Manky

Escalation
PlayerBeyond
Steroyd
The_Marquis

The guys in the bottom list played yesterday.

carlos

With all due respect to EVERYONE, since we are supposedly facing the strongest clan out there, we should have our best playing today

BPK

Sorry to intrude on all the clan wars talk, but I am curious how good the Omega Dawn pack is? I'm not a huge fan of DLC, but if the map was out of this world I might plunk down the money for it. I've just returned to Warhawk and so the original maps still feel fresh. Eucadia, in particular, is breathtaking.

FabCam

BPK said:
Sorry to intrude on all the clan wars talk, but I am curious how good the Omega Dawn pack is? I'm not a huge fan of DLC, but if the map was out of this world I might plunk down the money for it. I've just returned to Warhawk and so the original maps still feel fresh. Eucadia, in particular, is breathtaking.

The map is pretty good, but the Dropship is the best part of the DLC. Really changes the dynamic of games that use it.

Ceb

carlos said:
With all due respect to EVERYONE, since we are supposedly facing the strongest clan out there, we should have our best playing today

Just throwing something out here... perhaps it would be a good thing if our top three (Manky, carlos, CSSer) decided on the roster for the FGC match?

I'd also like to add that I still don't have a mic. Strike one for me. :p

User 406

Banned
Personally Escalation, I think you are one of our best, and if we're adopting a "winning above all" lineup for this particular game, you should be in it.

Which begs the question, is that how we're doing it?

carlos

I'm just curious to see if we could win against them and not have to think "I wonder if ------ was here, if it would've made a difference"

But hey, it's not like this match should be more important than any other match; I just want no excuses or regrets when it's over.

Ceb

It's a match against the #1 team - of course the clan's best players should be representing us.

Once again, I'd say it's easiest if you guys just hand-pick a team.

Steroyd

I'm good at defending and taking spawn points/zones my piloting has taken a nosedive though. :|

Playing against the =Q= clan we need a few good pilots.

User 406

Banned
It's FGCvsGAF, password: fear

All the details are in the match info which you can access from our clan page on gamebattles.

And carlos, I totally understand where you're coming from, I really want to win too, I love winning. :p I just don't want to get into a pattern where we're always having the same few guys dominating our matches and marginalizing the rest of our members. I think one of our real strengths is in the breadth of our membership, and I'd hate to see that start peeling away because people don't get a chance to participate.

But yeah, these guys are #1 on the clan ladder with a ridiculous win ratio, and beating them would make a hell of a splash for our first GB clan match. :p

I know I'm being a wuss by dithering like this too. :p

Sea Manky said:
Personally Escalation, I think you are one of our best, and if we're adopting a "winning above all" lineup for this particular game, you should be in it.

Which begs the question, is that how we're doing it?

Well if you guys want to do it and then report back on what the rest of us can expect, that's fine.

And if you need a substitute - you know how to reach me.

2vdjq6a.jpg

carlos

CSSer said:
>____________________________________>

c'mon, no need for false modesty, I still need to pay you back for excessively TOW missling me back in the day ;)

Manky, I understand and agree with your points, that's why I didn't even try to play yesterday; I'm all for a diverse team.
But still, how are we going to work it out today? :/

CSSer

That's the thing... that's all I do, along with suicide rushes and a few mines here and there. I still don't know how to dodge a homing missile effectively without using chaff/running away with stealth.

Ceb

CSSer said:
That's the thing... that's all I do, along with suicide rushes and a few mines here and there.

That's pretty much what all good Warhawk players I've been up against do. :p

Escalation is a must as well. Sadly I haven't played that many games with him, and the ones I remember the most are the dogfights where I've gotten utterly spanked. :p

Top Bottom