• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

methane47

messageCountdown.png

large7.jpg

rc213

UnholySpectacle said:
Since a lot of members are coming in now and dropping their PSN IDs without reading the rest of the thread:

GAFe and GAFw are currently full. GAFu is still in search of members. If you wish, you may leave your info in this thread in the hopes that someone from the current clans list drops out.

I wouldn't mind being put on the waiting list.

PSN ID: rc213

Timezone: PST

Barakov said:
Thursday? THURSDAY?! ....................................Oh well. I was hoping for Tuesday.

If you read the article, there is still no confirmation for a US Thursday release. This is just Europe. If you're from Europe...

:lol :lol :lol :lol

FightyF

Banned
spwolf said:
Q3 bots were laughed at... seriously.

Did you actually play Wowhawk?

I don't care how good or bad Q3 bots were, mainly because this sort of stuff gets better over time. Q3A came out nearly a decade ago...really. UT2004 had better bots, and newer games had better bots.The fact of the matter is that both id and Epic released games that could be played as one player experiences. And yes, I played a little of Warhawk, that doesn't change the fact that there are no bots.

kaching said:
Paradox. It wouldn't be an online MP only game if it had bots.

What I meant was no single player campaign. They would be objective based matches or deathmatch. Games like UT2004, or more recently, Shadowrun. Clearly, it should have some relevance in a game review.

When any game breaks a norm, it should be mentioned in a review. EA's NHL 07 lacked a typical Season mode. It's a norm for sports games to have a season mode, and so reviewers were unanimous in mentioning it. And like in the case of Warhawk, I agree with the fact that it should be mentioned and if it hurts the score, so be it. I've already stated that I don't agree with how WH was scored (I don't think spwolf read my post closely enough), but they make a valid point.

Killthee said:
Jobe said they couldn't do it in time for the release in the IGN Beyond Podcast last week. They were apparently having A.I. issues and weren't able to have the bots keep up with real players. He went on to say that once they realized that they couldn't do great bots they dropped them and chose to focus their development time on stuff they could do great instead of wasting time on crappy bots for the final version. He concluded his statement by stating that bots weren't planned for any future patches, but if people demanded them and if their was an opportunity to do them, they would.

It seems that both this game and Shadowrun had their fair share of development issues. Sorta interesting considering both are of the same sort of MP-only games, but their issues were completely unrelated, but notable and interesting.

Alex

A bunch of the people who signed up probably won't even buy the game, another bunch will probably stop playing shortly after.

The communities for these shrink and stabilize fairly quickly, at least they have in the past so I don't think getting in genuinely interested folk will be difficult.

Grayman

I would prefer really horrible target practice bots over no bots at all myself.

I sometimes load up Q3 on one of the easier difficulties and just smack them around for awhile.

methane47

Grayman said:
I would prefer really horrible target practice bots over no bots at all myself.

I sometimes load up Q3 on one of the easier difficulties and just smack them around for awhile.

I can see it now...

PS3 Can't do AI!!! look how stupid the bots are!! UBISOFT WAS RIGHT

Dizzan

MINI Member
Still no price for AU store

Not even a press release on the pricing.

God SCEA(Sony Comp Ent Australia) sux

BTW GAFw for me. Sorry I haven't replied earlier. Thanks

Peeete

I wonder, if somebody could help me, to get Warhawk. I played the beta and i really love that game, but my problem is, i live in thailand and i don't have a credit card. Since i already have a headset, i don't really wanna buy the retail version, if it even comes out here in thailand.

I know, i'm new, so maybe it's hard for you guys to trust me, but i think i figured out a way, that is completely without risk for you. First i send you the money for the game by paypal, after that i give you my log-in info for my psn-account. you change the pw, write in your credit card infos, put the money in my wallet, take out your credit card infos and change back to my old password.

I would be ready to pay the full price and I would be ready to share the game for free with the person who helps me to get it (if it's sharable).

Would be really really great, if somebody would help me, to get this great game. Just contact me here or directly to my PSN-Name: OsamaBongLaden

Dizzan

MINI Member
Peeete said:
I wonder, if somebody could help me, to get Warhawk. I played the beta and i really love that game, but my problem is, i live in thailand and i don't have a credit card. Since i already have a headset, i don't really wanna buy the retail version, if it even comes out here in thailand.

I know, i'm new, so maybe it's hard for you guys to trust me, but i think i figured out a way, that is completely without risk for you. First i send you the money for the game by paypal, after that i give you my log-in info for my psn-account. you change the pw, write in your credit card infos, put the money in my wallet, take out your credit card infos and change back to my old password.

I would be ready to pay the full price and I would be ready to share the game for free with the person who helps me to get it (if it's sharable).

Would be really really great, if somebody would help me, to get this great game. Just contact me here or directly to my PSN-Name: OsamaBongLaden

Why don't you get a credit card? Or maybe a Debit Card? Not trying to be rude but wouldn't that be easier

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
FightyF said:
What I meant was no single player campaign.
I know what you meant.

When any game breaks a norm, it should be mentioned in a review.
Eh, a review should mention whatever aspects about the game most influenced the reviewer's final assessment. If the breaking of a norm is part of that for the reviewer, then of course they should mention it but ideally games get reviewed on the strength of their own merits, not the merits of an archetype.

I've already stated that I don't agree with how WH was scored (I don't think spwolf read my post closely enough), but they make a valid point.
Reiterating what Sony and Incog have already made clear - the nature of the game - is not making a valid point, it's just redundant. It'd be like saying it's a valid point that Madden games only let you play football and then docking the score because of that. We're talking about the fundamental gating factors of these games which determines if you're even interested in it in the first place, before you even take notice of how it reviews.

Wollan

:lol While your method sounds logical, you're from Thailand with a PSN nick of OsamaBongLaden and you want someone to help you out with their credit card details. It will be a hard sell.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Wollan said:
:lol While your method sounds logical, you're from Thailand with a PSN nick of OsamaBongLaden and you want someone to help you out with their credit card details. It will be a hard sell.

I am from the Nigerian Govt and I was wondering if I could have your bank details to temporarily deposit 1 000 000 dollars. I will reward you with $10 000 and a harem of beautiful women.

Any takers?

Dizzan said:
I am from the Nigerian Govt and I was wondering if I could have your bank details to temporarily deposit 1 000 000 dollars. I will reward you with $10 000 and a harem of beautiful women.

Any takers?

I found you!!! I did what you said and the money never came!! WTF?? Bastard.

Peeete

Dizzan said:
Why don't you get a credit card? Or maybe a Debit Card? Not trying to be rude but wouldn't that be easier

Because I'm living in Thailand but I'm not a thai citizen, so it's not possible for me to open a bank account here. I also don't get one in my home country germany since i don't have a regular income there.

But another question, maybe I can "borrow" the credit card of a friend here, but can I even use it with the american store since I don't have a 'real' address in america?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Peeete said:
Because I'm living in Thailand but I'm not a thai citizen, so it's not possible for me to open a bank account here. I also don't get one in my home country germany since i don't have a regular income there.

But another question, maybe I can "borrow" the credit card of a friend here, but can I even use it with the american store since I don't have a 'real' address in america?

Maybe. Some say it works, others no. I use my Australian credit card in the US store and it works fine. It's a Mastercard.

Peeete

Dizzan said:
Maybe. Some say it works, others no. I use my Australian credit card in the US store and it works fine. It's a Mastercard.

So can u help me :D

No, kidding, I know it's hard to trust somebody in the internet, especially with all those nigeria connections all around. I guess I'll just try the credit card of my friend and if it's not working, i just keep on writing desperate questions for help till someone shows some mercy.

By the way, is that your dog in your avatar? Cause I have the same one, name's Mopsy

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/1722580

spwolf

FightyF said:
I don't care how good or bad Q3 bots were, mainly because this sort of stuff gets better over time. Q3A came out nearly a decade ago...really. UT2004 had better bots, and newer games had better bots.The fact of the matter is that both id and Epic released games that could be played as one player experiences. And yes, I played a little of Warhawk, that doesn't change the fact that there are no bots.

What I meant was no single player campaign. They would be objective based matches or deathmatch. Games like UT2004, or more recently, Shadowrun. Clearly, it should have some relevance in a game review.

When any game breaks a norm, it should be mentioned in a review. EA's NHL 07 lacked a typical Season mode. It's a norm for sports games to have a season mode, and so reviewers were unanimous in mentioning it. And like in the case of Warhawk, I agree with the fact that it should be mentioned and if it hurts the score, so be it. I've already stated that I don't agree with how WH was scored (I don't think spwolf read my post closely enough), but they make a valid point.

It seems that both this game and Shadowrun had their fair share of development issues. Sorta interesting considering both are of the same sort of MP-only games, but their issues were completely unrelated, but notable and interesting.

Nobody used Q3A bots. Nobody played Q3A singleplayer. Yes, Warhawk doesnt have single player, but thats why it is $40 game. Did anyone play BF1942 singleplayer?

What Team Incog. wanted to do is focus on stuff that matters and not do stuff that dont. And thats why Warhawk is AAA experience.

It would have been pointless to have crappy bots and crappy single player, and us paying $20 more for it.

As to your comparison to season mode, well, that would be more as if Warhawk didnt have team modes like CTF.

I played Q3A and BF1942 (and few other multiplayer-centric games) extensivly, never heard anyone say anything good about bots at all or anything good about singleplayer.

FightyF

Banned
kaching said:
Eh, a review should mention whatever aspects about the game most influenced the reviewer's final assessment. If the breaking of a norm is part of that for the reviewer, then of course they should mention it but ideally games get reviewed on the strength of their own merits, not the merits of an archetype.

I think you'll agree, the more merits, the better.

I've already made my point in detail, I don't think responding to you spwolf would just derail the thread. Read my posts again, and they counter your arguments, all of them.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
You diminish your own argument that bots are a "valid point" for this game by saying further discussion about it would derail the thread. If you're comfortable with the points you've made, that's fine, but you haven't countered anything.

And, no, I wouldn't say the more merits, the better, I would say the right merits are what matter.

FightyF

Banned
Ok, if you don't mind...

spwolf said:
Nobody used Q3A bots. Nobody played Q3A singleplayer. Yes, Warhawk doesnt have single player, but thats why it is $40 game. Did anyone play BF1942 singleplayer?

Everyone who wanted to get a hang of the game played with bots. For a summer I had to run a computer store ('EMO Computing', no joke!), and we had an internet cafe on the other side, since the boss was gone he hired his friend to look after the cafe, this guy was easily in his 30s. I got him hooked on Q3A, and to start, he played against bots.

Again, you can claim that the bots suck, but that game is a decade old. Since then there have been a lot of progress. The point is, bots are instrumental to learning a game. Many games have the advantage of single player to learn the game...but the games we are talking about, don't.

What Team Incog. wanted to do is focus on stuff that matters and not do stuff that dont.

Obviously, as posted earlier, they were having issues with the AI and didn't have the time to finish it, and concentrated on other aspects of the game. The game was already delayed (was supposed to be out earlier), so I can't blame them for that choice. Every game has features knocked off due to time constraints. But the very fact that they were working on it shows that Incognito themselves saw some importance in it. Obviously though, it's more important to get a game out, more than anything else (even if it means canned weapons, vehicles, and bots).

It would have been pointless to have crappy bots and crappy single player, and us paying $20 more for it.

How about good bots, and a good single player progression? Games like UT 2004 have done it very well. UT 3 will carry the same tradition.

As to your comparison to season mode, well, that would be more as if Warhawk didnt have team modes like CTF.

If that's the case, then how would a sports game fare if there was no AI at all? :lol

I played Q3A and BF1942 (and few other multiplayer-centric games) extensivly, never heard anyone say anything good about bots at all or anything good about singleplayer.

Those were the earliest examples of games, since then, there have been a multitude of games. I brought up Q3A to show that it has been a staple for nearly a decade.

There are a lot more recent examples, one of which is coming to the PS3 this Fall, will offer 32 players (with or without bots) a large variety of vehicles and a large variety of maps with a variety in scale (suitable for 2 vs 2, or 16 vs 16)...Unreal Tournament 3.

I think it's easy, and fair, for people to compare features for both games, as I think both will be great online games with similar features.

kaching said:
And, no, I wouldn't say the more merits, the better, I would say the right merits are what matter.

Well, we know that if there is a feature that is a staple among a certain type of game, it is definitely a "right" merit. Ie. something to be concerned about.

Well, what do you think of the bot support in UT 3? Does it not matter? If not, what makes the merit "wrong"?

Kittonwy

Banned
Can you even do bots for the kind of "literally go anywhere on any vehicle in the air AND on the ground" game like Warhawk? Not sure how realistic an expectation that would be for Incog to incorporate bots, there are perhaps too many choices in terms of actions for a bot to choose from even in terms of standard deathmatch, let alone fighting for territory and CTF, how good can teh bots even be? It would be kind of silly to argue for bots simply for the sake of argument. If bots can be implemented for Warhawk, I would like to know how that can be done.

Xater

Kittonwy said:
Can you even do bots for the kind of "literally go anywhere on any vehicle in the air AND on the ground" game like Warhawk? Not sure how realistic an expectation that would be for Incog to incorporate bots, there are perhaps too many choices in terms of actions for a bot to choose from even in terms of standard deathmatch, let alone fighting for territory and CTF.

UT3 has them in Warfare mode and UT2k4 had them in it's mode with vehicles.

Grayman

Kittonwy said:
Can you even do bots for the kind of "literally go anywhere on any vehicle in the air AND on the ground" game like Warhawk? Not sure how realistic an expectation that would be for Incog to incorporate bots, there are perhaps too many choices in terms of actions for a bot to choose from even in terms of standard deathmatch, let alone fighting for territory and CTF, how good can teh bots even be? It would be kind of silly to argue for bots simply for the sake of argument. If bots can be implemented for Warhawk, I would like to know how that can be done.
BF2 had bots.

Kittonwy

Banned
Xater said:
UT3 has them in Warfare mode and UT2k4 had them in it's mode with vehicles.

Can you fly around, over and under arches while avoiding enemy fire from the air and from the ground like in Warhawk? How would a bot know how to navigate?

Kittonwy

Banned
Grayman said:
BF2 had bots.

So? I'm asking whether it's feasible to do bots in Warhawk.

Can the bots fly upside down while in a dogfight while picking up ammos and be able to decide when to land and get into a tank or a jeep or carry out combat on foot, lay mines or pick off people with airstrikes? There would probably be a dozne planes in the air and a dozen people on the ground at least, who does the bot go after? How does it decide? With which weapon? How will the bot travel? Which weapon to pick up before the bot decides to go after its target? Aside from the standard "flank an opponent, use cover, navigate the environment on the ground", there are a lot of additional challenges for a bot in Warhawk. Warhawk battles are very dynamic, things change constantly, with 32 people it's complete mayhem, perhaps a little too crazy for bots.

CSSer

Just ordered at Best Buy, so I'll have to wait to join in on the fun. It'll hopefully arrive by Thursday... just in time for the first scrimmage.

FightyF

Banned
Kittonwy said:
So? I'm asking whether it's feasible to do bots in Warhawk.

It is.

As Incognito said, they were working on it, and if need be, would work on it.

My point is that there are plenty of other titles out there doing it, and because of that it was a good point on PSM's part to point it out (again, I don't agree with the score...or the idea that it should knock a full point off a score because of the lack of it, a half point is fair).

Some casual gamers don't know anything about the game so mentioning that in the review is helpful. When games like UT 3 coming out, and gamers on a limited budget due to this Fall's lineup, it's something people may see value in.

I don't see why people are so averse to pointing that out, in a game review.

Kittonwy

Banned
FightyF said:
It is.

As Incognito said, they were working on it, and if need be, would work on it.

Explain how. This isn't UT3 where things happen on a flat map, this is a completely 3D warzone where people are doing cockscrews in the air, flying upside down while diving under arches trying to lock on each other with missiles, deploying chaffs while some will land and do a whole lot of other stuff on the ground, all happening at the same time in an environment that is far from having restrictive and pre-defined paths, but with tons and tons of obstacles that can change on a moment's notice.

For a single player game perhaps they can have AI troops fighting only on the ground and pilots only in the air fighting in warhawks, but in the multiplayer game a bot would have to dynamically switch from one mode of transportation to another and the battle conditions and options would change constantly, a bot would have to dynamically react to all the things happening without ending up just easy cannon fodder.

Xater

Kittonwy said:
Explain how. This isn't UT3 where things happen on a flat map, this is a completely 3D warzone

You never played UT2k4 did you? The vehicle maps are not flat. It is comparable. Of course bots can never replace a human. They ar enot able to do some of the maneuvers a human can do or use a vehicle with more strategy behind it BUT they can be fun non the less.

FightyF

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Explain how.

Again, games like BF2 that feature everything from Jeeps to Jets to Helicopters, and UT 3 has the exact same sort of stuff (actually no helicopter like vehicle, but it has fighter jet sort of vehicles).

Top Bottom