• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Aalyx

I never played the BETA so I just have two questions, do you have an advantage using the motion controls over the analogue sticks for controlling Warhawks? And do the motion controls work better than the sticks?

Trevelyan

Banned
A2D said:
I never played the BETA so I just have two questions, do you have an advantage using the motion controls over the analogue sticks for controlling Warhawks? And do the motion controls work better than the sticks?

When you use motion controls you have complete control of your machine gun with the left sick, opposed to dual sticks where your machine gun fires in the direction you're facing. As for working better? I found them very comfortable and trained hard to get used to them, which I did. I enjoy them but they do take some practiceand patience.

spwolf

A2D said:

i think it is debatable... it is harder to use motion controls than sticks, but at the same time you get more control... So in theory, you can get more control over Warhawk which should make you more deadly... i think we will know in 2-3 months after game was released. And besides, they might have tuned something in both control options.

Dizzan

MINI Member
A2D said:

I'd also like to know this. BTW I tried to love Motorstorm motion control but reverted back to the sticks

tribal24

Banned
Dizzan said:
I'd also like to know this. BTW I tried to love Motorstorm motion control but reverted back to the sticks

well theres a advantage becuase with motion you do things quicker and you have more precise controls

FootNinja said:
Motorstorm is horrible with motion control on. It works well with warhawk though.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there, I personally found the motion control very intuitive once I got the hang of it, I couldn't really go back to using analogue control, but hey that's just me.

Safe Bet

Banned
GAF Canada would free up some room in GAFw for those on the waiting list.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll look at the spreadsheet (thank you for the work Killthee) and see how many Canadians are listed...

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
subzero9285 said:
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there, I personally found the motion control very intuitive once I got the hang of it, I couldn't really go back to using analogue control, but hey that's just me.
It might be exciting but its not good for actually winning imo.

FightyF

Banned
FootNinja said:
Motorstorm is horrible with motion control on.

Ever try playing with your arms somewhat outstretched in front of you? It may look corny, but it really helps. I never got used to controlling bikes with this, but it works like a wheel for trucks. Once you get used to that, you don't have to play with your arms out, it just clicks.
Speakingofclick FREE CLICK.

djkimothy

Safe Bet said:
GAF Canada would free up some room in GAFw for those on the waiting list.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll look at the spreadsheet (thank you for the work Killthee) and see how many Canadians are listed...

Just to let your know I'm in Ottawa but that's not listed in the spreadsheet. And I think Kitt is a Torontonian...

SpacLock

Edit: Sorry, some magazine that game it a bad score (that i thought was IGN) related...

Honestly, I told you guys how horrible i thought the game was when i was playing the beta and i "broke the NDA" when telling you guys about it... If you haven't played the game yet then just rent it because i thought that it was awful. This is coming from a hardcore multiplayer gamer who had played every game similar to this one (like the battlefields and so on). Do some post history research if you have to and you'll see that everything that the reviewer complains about at any major website is something that i've complained about during the beta. Do not listen to the majority of GAF on this one... Stay the hell away from this awful game. Save some money for little big planet... A game that actually looks somewhat promising.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
SpacLock said:
IGN review related...

Honestly, I told you guys how horrible i thought the game was when i was playing the beta and i "broke the NDA" when telling you guys about it... If you haven't played the game yet then just rent it because i thought that it was awful. This is coming from a hardcore multiplayer gamer who had played every game similar to this one (like the battlefields and so on). Do some post history research if you have to and you'll see that everything that the reviewer complains about at any major website is something that i've complained about during the beta. Do not listen to the majority of GAF on this one... Stay the hell away from this awful game. Save some money for little big planet... A game that actually looks somewhat promising.
what?

Azrael

SpacLock said:
IGN review related...

Thanks a lot! I was gonna buy this game on the recommendation of other GAFers, but anyone with a Master Chief avatar knows shooters, and even though IGN hasn't reviewed it yet, I'm sure they'll agree with you. Now I can save my money for Little Big Planet, since there's no good games on PS3 until next summer.

Gattsu25

Banned
subzero9285 said:
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there, I personally found the motion control very intuitive once I got the hang of it, [snip], but hey that's just me.
It's not just you
Ecchi-Time7 said:
Why is this game $40? It's just a downloadable like a VC game right?
nothing like VC. In this case, the downloadable version is closer to a Steam game than anything on a console.

SpacLock

captive said:

Did i not write good enough in English for you to understand? I don't feel like reading the entire thread at this point because i'm definitely not interested in this game anymore since i played the demo and didn't like it, so i'm sorry if what i said wasn't really on topic. Just trying to write my opinion like everyone else on this message board. It did kind of come out of nowhere didn't it?

Azrael said:
Thanks a lot! I was gonna buy this game on the recommendation of other GAFers, but anyone with a Master Chief avatar knows shooters, and even though IGN hasn't reviewed it yet, I'm sure they'll agree with you. Now I can save my money for Little Big Planet, since there's no good games on PS3 until next summer.

I like the art. If i had a different avatar would you agree with me?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
SpacLock said:
Did i not write good enough in English for you to understand? I don't feel like reading the entire thread at this point because i'm definitely not interested in this game anymore since i played the demo and didn't like it, so i'm sorry if what i said wasn't really on topic. Just trying to write my opinion like everyone else on this message board. It did kind of come out of nowhere didn't it?
What demo? You mean the beta...
What does what you said have to do with the IGN review, which isnt even out yet?

And i whole heartily disagree with you, having played countless hours of Counter-strike, battlefield 1942 desert combat mod and Battlefield 2, Warhawk is really good.

SpacLock said:
?

There is no IGN review; that's why people are confused.

SpacLock

Vyse The Legend said:
There is no IGN review; that's why people are confused.

Edited my post... Sorry. I meant the latest review that wasn't too great. Expect more like that one. quote me on it.

captive said:
What demo? You mean the beta...
What does what you said have to do with the IGN review, which isnt even out yet?

And i whole heartily disagree with you, having played countless hours of Counter-strike, battlefield 1942 desert combat mod and Battlefield 2, Warhawk is really good.

I said beta and i corrected myself on what site did the review. That's alright that you disagree with me since all reviews will vary. I'm just saying that the majority of the reviews from the popular gaming websites (IGN, 1UP, Etc.) will agree with me more than they will with you. I'm not trying to rain on your guys parade or anything... I'm just trying to help!

Ashhong

SpacLock said:
Edited my post... Sorry. I meant the latest review that wasn't too great. Expect more like that one. quote me on it.

I said beta and i corrected myself on what site did the review. That's alright that you disagree with me since all reviews will vary. I'm just saying that the majority of the reviews will agree with me more than they will with you. I'm not trying to rain on your guys parade or anyhing... I'm just trying to help!

We just didn't understand wth you were talking about. Didn't make your purpose very clear. Are you talking about the review that was made by the supposed "xbot"? The one where a big complaint was that the game costs 60 dollars?

SpacLock

Ashhong said:
We just didn't understand wth you were talking about. Didn't make your purpose very clear. Are you talking about the review that was made by the supposed "xbot"? The one where a big complaint was that the game costs 60 dollars?

There was thread where both Warhawk and Lair were reviewed by the same magazine and they got scores that were lower than a lot of Gaffers expected. I believe that it was either Play or PSM magazine? I'm sorry but the thread is no longer in the first 2 pages. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear guys... Like i said, i'm just trying to help. I like Ps3 just as much as everyone else in the thread. I just don't believe that Warhawk is what everyone here has been hyping it up to be. can i not express a different opinion than others?

Take it easy fellas... these are video games we're talking about.

Gattsu25

Banned
SpacLock said:
There was thread where both Warhawk and Lair were reviewed by the same magazine and they got scores that were lower than a lot of Gaffers expected. I believe that it was either Play or PSM magazine? I'm sorry but the thread is no longer in the first 2 pages. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear guys... Like i said, i'm just trying to help. I like Ps3 just as much as everyone else in the thread. I just don't believe that Warhawk is what everyone here has been hyping it up to be. can i not express a different opinion than others?

Point taken and yeah, it was PSM.

People are allowed to have different opinions, but sometime in the past year GAF as a whole forgot that. Thanks for the impressions, by the way. I'm likely going to get the PSN downloadable version and your impressions are helpful as a PC gamer since they have tempered my expectations

BigBoss

SpacLock said:

It was PSM and the person who reviewed Warhawk was a raving Xbot, evidence was posted of the reviewer's bias and everyone went on with their lives.

SpacLock

Gattsu25 said:
Point taken and yeah, it was PSM.

People are allowed to have different opinions, but sometime in the past year GAF as a whole forgot that. Thanks for the impressions, by the way. I'm likely going to get the PSN downloadable version and your impressions are helpful as a PC gamer since they have tempered my expectations

Haha i'm glad you understand! I knew there was going to be people to disagreed and people who just wanted to flame, but i didn't think there would be others who understood where i was coming from. I'm not saying that no one would like this game... I'm just saying that i didn't like it personally.

BigBoss said:
It was PSM and the person who reviewed Warhawk was a raving Xbot, evidence was posted of the reviewer's bias and everyone went on with their lives.

Again, i stand corrected. I haven't payed much attention to the news of this game so i didn't know that the reviewer was a "raving xbot". If you like the game then by all means... buy it!

Greg

Why do people keep saying the ex-editor from the xbox mag was the one that reviewed Warhawk? It was an intern who did the review.

Sure, it's annoying that the game was docked points for ridiculous reasons, but at least get the fucking facts straight before you point fingers.

Azrael

SpacLock said:
Edit: Sorry, some magazine that game it a bad score (that i thought was IGN) related...

Honestly, I told you guys how horrible i thought the game was when i was playing the beta and i "broke the NDA" when telling you guys about it...

Looking over your post history, let's see if I reconstructed this correctly.

1) You called Warhawk garbage before the beta began.

2) You posted in the beta thread that you were off to play the game, then came back a whopping 15 or so minutes later and said that the opinion you had of Warhawk before you played it was correct.

3) You were warned to not post impressions because a) it was a violation of your NDA and b) it wasn't fair to bash the beta because other posters who liked the beta couldn't state their own opinions because it would break the NDA.

Did I miss anything?

Kittonwy

Banned
SpacLock said:

Thanks alot for your opinion!!! That was quite helpful, I will take it into consideration.
Indifferent2.gif

Ignore list +1

Kittonwy

Banned
Varshes said:
I want to, just gotta decide on who's going to lead it. djkimothy came up with it first it would seem.

Nah, there ain't THAT many Canadians in here. Although I'm thinking of starting a GAFk (k=Kittonwy's Heroes) and just nab all teh best players, j/k.
Indifferent2.gif

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Quotes from FightyF, to keep post length shorter:

"That doesn't discount the usefulness of bots."
I didn't say it did.

"But he did say they would add it, if it came down to it, am I right?"
His answer amounted to a polite "Don't count on it".

"Epic did it to give more value to the gamer."
Either Mark or Cliffy have specifically said they did it because they didn't want to sacrifice the single-player gamer sale.

"This doesn't make sense at all. If Madden had a staple "Franchise Mode" and it was missing it in 08, the reviewer would definitely mention it."
Since when were we talking about games within a single franchise? We're talking about individual games, in completely separate franchises, in different price brackets.

"Halo is not an MP only game. Neither is Resistance"
So? Their MP modes are a very significant portion of the game. The time that people sink into playing the MP portion of these games will often dwarf the time they put into the SP portion. Post release support from the dev in the form of patches and add-on packs is almost entirely focused on the MP portion of the game.

You can't discount these games simply because they're not MP only, because then you're undermining your whole argument about how bots have merit and add value - why would bots add any less value just because the game isn't MP only? But then if you don't discount these games, you can't argue that bots are truly a staple. Pick your poison.

"I don't see why you're trying to argue my point.

Most level headed gamers here agree that there is NOTHING wrong with the reviewer mentioning the lack of bots, in his review."

But I'm not arguing with you about a mere "mention" - nice try softening the language to try to coax a concession. ;)

FightyF

Banned
Safe Bet said:
Well since you took my post out of context, ignored my post that agreed with you that reviewers have the right to see lack of 'bots as a small negative in a multiplayer game, and posted a stupid ass crying baby gif....

Welcom to my ignore list FightyF

Yeah I re-read your post, at first I couldn't tell which was sarcasm and which were serious points, so I dismissed it all as crazy talk, and yes, you are right, I totally ignored your second post because I thought you went crazy. :lol

Ah well, do what you want.

Oh wait, you're not even gonna see this. Which means you'll miss out on stuff like this sexy PS3:

ps3-sexygirl.jpg

And stuff like this...

zweiargumentefurps3.jpg

:p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SpacLock said:
Which makes it all the more interesting why you're on such a tear to rip this particular game apart.

Varshes

Kittonwy said:
Nah, there ain't THAT many Canadians in here. Although I'm thinking of starting a GAFk (k=Kittonwy's Heroes) and just nab all teh best players, j/k.

Well yeah I don't think we'd get 64 Canadian GAFers but we might still be able to do something.

I'll take the initiative here and gather some names:

If you are interested in joining a GAF Canada clan, PM me.

I can share the names with whomever is interested in getting this organized.

FightyF

Banned
His answer amounted to a polite "Don't count on it".
It is interesting, the fact that this issue came up though, no? It only proves my argument that it is a staple feature for games of this type.

Either Mark or Cliffy have specifically said they did it because they didn't want to sacrifice the single-player gamer sale.
Do you have a link to the actual interview? And again, it bolsters my point that it's done to add value to games of these sorts.

Since when were we talking about games within a single franchise? We're talking about individual games, in completely separate franchises, in different price brackets.
Then apply APF into my hypothetical situation, rather than Madden. Again, a real life example is NHL 07 which lacked a season mode, whereas other similar games (ie. NHL 2k7) featured that. Reviewers mentioned it.

So? Their MP modes are a very significant portion of the game. The time that people sink into playing the MP portion of these games will often dwarf the time they put into the SP portion. Post release support from the dev in the form of patches and add-on packs is almost entirely focused on the MP portion of the game.
Neither of those games were sold as multiplayer only games.

You can't discount these games simply because they're not MP only, because then you're undermining your whole argument about how bots have merit and add value - why would bots add any less value just because the game isn't MP only? But then if you don't discount these games, you can't argue that bots are truly a staple. Pick your poison.
These games offer a lot to begin with. Both have deep single player campaign modes, as well as a multiplayer mode. A game like PDZ has it and it's a great feature on top of what's there. But these sorts of games aren't lacking in content. Games like Q3A, UT, etc. do not feature anything of the sort, and so the more these games offer, the better.

If GT:HD cost $30, would you have bought it? PD and Sony knew that people wouldn't pay for such a game, with it's limited offerings.

This is so obvious I'm not sure why I have to explain this, I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about.

But I'm not arguing with you about a mere "mention" - nice try softening the language to try to coax a concession. ;)

If you aren't arguing that this is a staple feature among games of this type, and that the review was right to point out the lack of such a feature...what are you arguing about?

If you're arguing that the game is great and will be fun without it, I agree. If you think that it should have no effect on the scoring of a review, I somewhat agree, I don't think it should be a full mark off the score, but perhaps some impact (either listed as a con or .5 docked off). If you think there is no room for bots in games of this type, I disagree. There's overwhelming evidence that people do play these sorts of games with bots, despite how primitive they are in some games. It's unreasonable to dismiss them. Especially when games like UT3 are coming out (on the same platform, ie. direct competition) and feature the same sort of gameplay (with flight, ground vehicles, and advanced objectives) and feature bots as well.

DeadCell

Slavik81 said:
I loved playing StarWars Battlefront on PC.
I loathed playing it on PS2.

Will I like WarHawk?
No.

Lightsabers + mouse = good.

WOWHAWK = no lightsabers x2 = bad

P.S. Yes, buy now. (carry the two)

THX.

Edit: Wait, Battlefront didn't even have lightsabers... did it? *looks around*

Top Bottom