• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

icechai

Favourite Map-> all original
Most Hated Map-> omega factory (although its growing on me)
Ground based-> not too shabby, good on foot, not as hot on tank
Air based-> yup
Favourite mode-> CTF
Most Hated mode -> Deathmatch

can't wait for home to come out and home support. Organizing matches from someone's apartment should be convenient :p

ChryZ

I'm still reflecting on how to improve my game. I'm average on foot, but being somewhat street-smart is my saving grace. In the air this works to a certain degree, but if it's getting too crowded then I usually fall flat on my face (e.g. rushing toward weapons or heading straight into danger (flag retrieval) while getting back-stabbed by hostile warhawks). Plan of action: I'm going to play more dogflight games and force myself to address primary hostile warhawks and then the objective.

Any comments or constructive criticism would be most welcome.

CSSer

Favourite Map: island outpost
Most Hated Map: destroyed capitol
Ground based: weak
Air based: weak
Favourite mode: ctf
Most Hated mode: ctf

carlos

Just another observation on that last zones match, the other team used this method to capture are level 3 areas:
2 warhawks, one of them with 2 people; they reduce it from 3 to less than 1, then the 2 man warhawk leaves.
The other guy finishes the capture and takes out any enemies with the warhawk.

I know this since I saw them take our zone in a couple of seconds while I respawned there :(

It's like we were too spaced apart, everyone by himself trying to reduce all their bases, while they captured ours one by one.

Perhaps in future 6 on 6 zone matches, we should divide into groups of 3 and let one group go for even number bases, the others for the odd # bases...

Steroyd

ChryZ said:
I'm still reflecting on how to improve my game. I'm average on foot, but being somewhat street-smart is my saving grace. In the air this works to a certain degree, but if it's getting too crowded then I usually fall flat on my face (e.g. rushing toward weapons or heading straight into danger (flag retrieval) while getting back-stabbed by hostile warhawks). Plan of action: I'm going to play more dogflight games and force myself to address primary hostile warhawks and then the objective.

Just skimming through what everyone is saying, we're relatively weak in the air overall, so I suggest that if we're going to have any clan servers during the week the map rotation will go:

whatever > Dogfight > whatever > TDM Dogfight > whatever > Dogfight > whatever > TDM Dogfight

It's like we were too spaced apart, everyone by himself trying to reduce all their bases, while they captured ours one by one.

That's exactly what happened on Saturday when we got anhialated, we were camped out at base, and everyone was trying to go all rambo in every direction.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ChryZ said:

Whenever I respawn in a dogfighting game the energy bar of the most damanged enemy fighters in proximity shows up for a sec and therefore I concentrate my efforts on those.

Not sure this happens in other game modes but this is the only hint I can give you atm.

Ceb

carlos said:
Just another observation on that last zones match, the other team used this method to capture are level 3 areas:
2 warhawks, one of them with 2 people; they reduce it from 3 to less than 1, then the 2 man warhawk leaves.
The other guy finishes the capture and takes out any enemies with the warhawk.

I know this since I saw them take our zone in a couple of seconds while I respawned there :(

Perhaps in future 6 on 6 zone matches, we should divide into groups of 3 and let one group go for even number bases, the others for the odd # bases...

I think you're on to something here. We need to incorporate some squad tactics. It was like this in the Zones game against DC too. When you're cornered and are trying to retake zones, you can't blast off alone in a warhawk. Even if two people split up and go for separate zones, they will still have time to go after both of you.

EDIT: I should add that it probably wouldn't have mattered in the DC match though. I took methane with me on a trip towards the main base and I could hear his cries over the mic as the horde of enemy warhawks commenced their dispatching of us. XD

ChryZ

Good idea, Steroyd. We should play less DM/TDM and more dogflight.

Those who love to play ground got to leave their comfort zone and need to fly more.

The strategy described by carlos is pretty efficient, especially if the ground guy is also having a rocket launcher!

Ceb

We should also advance into the zones in waves. Nothing worse than having some guy sitting in the back of your warhawk when you land on a pack of mines. :(

This talk has spurred me to put up a practice server. I have some time to kill now anyway, so I will throw up up !GAF in 10 minutes or so.

carlos

cool , I'll get on in the server as soon as possible in about 20-30 minutes; let's try to coordinate another practice some time during the week.

and for those who dislike flying, remember that it's not completely neccesary to use pro flight, if that is the reason you dislike it; it's possible to be good with normal controls. I'll try to help out and teach some moves when we get together

ChryZ

TTP said:
Whenever I respawn in a dogfighting game the energy bar of the most damanged enemy fighters in proximity shows up for a sec and therefore I concentrate my efforts on those.
Yeah, it's also helpful to focus on those who just popped their chaff for a few missile hits. Mines to "stop" people from chasing you. The EMP is also way underutilized, it's such an awesome weapon.

Ceb said:
I will throw up up !GAF in 10 minutes or so.
I'd love to join, but I still got to work :(

User 406

Banned
I would suggest that at the very start of a zones game, the guys who get to the warhawks pick up a passenger and head for the two zones that are two zones away from the enemy base. After growing them out as much as possible, one of them stays in the base and holds it while the other takes the warhawk and goes to find another passenger or zone to capture in the backfield.

Once the backfield zones are all taken, there should still always be at least one person at the forward zones hiding and guarding them against capture. Others should either be in the air keeping the enemy from breaking out, or on the ground advancing to the next enemy zone in tanks. If they sneak past and a backfield zone starts getting reduced, the warhawks can spot it and go take them out. After killing the intruders, only one guy should stay to regrow it, the rest should get back in the air.

The important part of this strategy is placing the most priority on holding the forward zones, since holding them will at least ensure that the enemy can't get a good link up for bonus points. Getting our link up is also important, but an enemy capturing a backfield zone that he can only grow to 1 is not as big a threat as losing the front.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on zones after seeing how BXA played.

Steroyd: Could you get that feedback entered for Best of Warhawk? I don't want that comment hanging out there too long without a retraction.

methane47

Ceb said:
I think you're on to something here. We need to incorporate some squad tactics. It was like this in the Zones game against DC too. When you're cornered and are trying to retake zones, you can't blast off alone in a warhawk. Even if two people split up and go for separate zones, they will still have time to go after both of you.

EDIT: I should add that it probably wouldn't have mattered in the DC match though. I took methane with me on a trip towards the main base and I could hear his cries over the mic as the horde of enemy warhawks commenced their dispatching of us. XD

:lol... ... by time we boosted away from the base.. we had like one bar of energy left.. lol .. I knew it was over...

User 406

Banned
Wheee, that was fun! Some real tough matches. carlos seemed to save every TOW in that CTF to use on me. XD

Edit: Thanks for putting that feedback in there Steroyd, it sucked reading their feedback page and seeing nothing but positive comments and then my dumb ass in there. :)

Kazenone

Btw, I enjoyed practicing with some gaffers yesterday, but is it possible to set up a server just for us? I feel if I had a more intimate chance to communicate with you guys i'd definetly feel more comfortable and relaxed in clan matches! I'd like to get to know you :D

methane47

Play of the Day for me: Sending Manky Back to the respawn chamber after nailin him with an RPG .. and then finishing the job with the good ole' Machinegun.

Good games.. although I felt left out .. that like most of you guys were above 100 points lol and I was at 65 :(

Ceb

The CTF round was very nice. Tight and hectic. Was it MrPips who talked a lot on the mic? Communication helps so much.

I stupidly made the server unranked since I was afraid I'd get totally annihilated playing with ProFlight controls for the first time. :D I thought I did OK in the TDM dogfight though. I can totally see the benefits of the control scheme with the increased maneuverability it adds, but I have a tendency to totally spazz out when doing 180 turns.

carlos

lol, I just ran into you at the right moment, manky ;p and I figure, any seconds you're respawing is a few seconds that you won't be causing chaos out there.

Good game, I'm kinda pissed, the first capture you managed was after I threw a TOW, cluster, homing and regular missles on the flagcarrier, I don't know what kinda lag effect was going on there, he just didn't die. The second capture there just weren't any warhawks, the flag was past the bridges by the time I got one.

In the previous zones game, my moment of the match was watching manky shoot a rocket at my face, while I couldn't move! argh!
This game is gonna make me get asperger's syndrome :)

Ceb

Ah yes, Zones... it was frustrating to see the tides turn in that game.

Kazenone said:
Btw, I enjoyed practicing with some gaffers yesterday, but is it possible to set up a server just for us? I feel if I had a more intimate chance to communicate with you guys i'd definetly feel more comfortable and relaxed in clan matches! I'd like to get to know you :D

If we can get a decent turnout, we could always agree on a time to make a passworded server. I'm thinking at least 6-8 people.

User 406

Banned
Yeah, that was MrPips, he's a good player and real card to boot. :p

carlos: Maybe you were aiming behind them? I used to have that problem a lot with TOW missiles against jeeps and tanks, lag always seemed to allow them to escape. Nowadays I always try to aim in front of them.

DireStr8s

Good games guys. Another thing we could try are the smaller map variations. With fewer bases to capture, the emphasis is on airbourne tactics. I've been playing player ranked servers like this & getting totally reamed :(

methane47

carlos said:
lol, I just ran into you at the right moment ;p

Good game, I'm kinda pissed, the first capture you managed was after I threw a TOW, cluster, homing and regular missles on the flagcarrier, I don't know what kinda lag effect was going on there, he just didn't die. The second capture there just weren't any warhawks, the flag was past the bridges by the time I got one.

The second capture I was pissed.... i was the guy calling out to get some warhawks in the air.. I saw mr pibb going behind the mountain pass to come around to the bridge.. so I took the direct route with a TANK.. and as he passed the base.. I shot him once.. ohh.. hit didn't register.. At this time.. Manky apparently took note of me... along with the other warhawks..

Shot him again!!... ok.. hit registered this time... Now the jeep passed me and is on the bridge.. I survived death for a few seconds by grabbing the repair icon... I SHOT The JEEP AGAIN!!... WTF... didn't kill him... at this time... I see something sparkly in the air.. with Sea_Manky's Name some where off in the distance...

then i was like..

"uh oh" Good game all around though.. Except for the guy who was intentionally team killing

User 406

Banned
Yeah, on the second capture I was really focusing on trying to kill every warhawk in the air. I really do seem to have an aversion to stay on guard when something else needs doing, like taking bases. I need to work more on doing pure air support.

Ceb

nickslicl said:
Good games guys. Another thing we could try are the smaller map variations. With fewer bases to capture, the emphasis is on airbourne tactics. I've been playing player ranked servers like this & getting totally reamed :(

Small or medium? I'm guessing you mean the latter.

carlos

Sea Manky said:
carlos: Maybe you were aiming behind them? I used to have that problem a lot with TOW missiles against jeeps and tanks, lag always seemed to allow them to escape. Nowadays I always try to aim in front of them.

Nah, trust me after all this time playing, I know of that little quirk with TOW missles, I don't know what happened, he got out and started walking, hit him with a full arsenal and he just didn't die, (I was cursing so much obviously, wtfwtfwtfwtf!)

btw, maybe I focused on manky so much because of his rank icon; seeing a black diamond flying around just makes me focus on it instead of the other flyers

I've been playing better today; maybe I just needed a good night's sleep...

Ceb

There shouldn't have been any noticeable lag kicking in. I check the team rosters from time to time to see if there are any high ping rates. Might've been something glitchy going on though - I was sure I'd managed to recap our flag at one point, but it didn't respawn and so a guy on your team could pick it up.

If anyone's available to play shortly after 3PM EST, I'm gonna put up another rotation around then. Ranked this time.

Steroyd

The KAOS clan wants to play against us, Sea_Manky sort out the re-scheduling with the Best of Warhawk clan, so I can tell them when we're available.

burnfout

Favourite Map: eucadia
Most Hated Map: destroyed capitol
Ground based: weak
Air based: good
Favourite mode: ctf
Most Hated mode: deathmatch

BTW, count me OUT for the rematch coming saturday, Ill be snowboarding in Austria for a week.
From friday 22 till saturday march 1.

WHAT THE FUCK!

Are there only retards left playing this game today?!

Just watched the losers I was playing with get pinned down and owned in under 5 minutes in a CTF game!

64feb4.jpg

If you're not going to use Daddy's guns, stop fucking picking them up so Daddy can use them to kill the fucking tanks you bleeding pussies can't seem to fucking kill!!!! >:O

I really wish they'd also change the damage settings for Warhawks. Using a Warhawk as a shovel / bumper car is getting abused so much lately.

You want to crash into a vehicle / the ground?

THEN DIE!

Works well enough here in the real world, and that's why I ain't gettin' on no plane!

methane47

The Take Out Bandit said:
I really wish they'd also change the damage settings for Warhawks. Using a Warhawk as a shovel / bumper car is getting abused so much lately.

I was playing a game with some Frickin TOP notch pilots... who were pretty Kamakazie in thier tactics..

I was chilling in a tank in Badlands.. And I was picking off planes that were baraging our team to get our flag... All of a sudden .. a planes BOOSTS RIGHT UP TO ME and SMACKS ME HEAD ON IN THE FACE.. and My Tank got hit SO hard that it rose OFF its tracks and and came to rest pointing StRAIGHT up and was STUCK in the ground.. I'm like WTF WTF.. I'm trying to press left or right to get the tank to roll over .. nothing.. Tried pressing up and down.. nothing.. This guy Totally incapacitated me just from smashing into me at full speed..

methane47 said:
I was playing a game with some Frickin TOP notch pilots... who were pretty Kamakazie in thier tactics..

I was chilling in a tank in Badlands.. And I was picking off planes that were baraging our team to get our flag... All of a sudden .. a planes BOOSTS RIGHT UP TO ME and SMACKS ME HEAD ON IN THE FACE.. and My Tank got hit SO hard that it rose OFF its tracks and and came to rest pointing StRAIGHT up and was STUCK in the ground.. I'm like WTF WTF.. I'm trying to press left or right to get the tank to roll over .. nothing.. Tried pressing up and down.. nothing.. This guy Totally incapacitated me just from smashing into me at full speed..

I can understand why they softened crash damage in the game from a design point of view, but how about changing it so that any Warhawk to ground vehicle impact = suicide.

Seriously, that is bullshit.

Nothing like grabbing a flame thrower and shoving it up a tanks ass while screaming, "THIS IS HOW YOU FUCKING KILL A TANK YOU FUCKING PUSSIES!"

User 406

Banned
Steroyd said:
The KAOS clan wants to play against us, Sea_Manky sort out the re-scheduling with the Best of Warhawk clan, so I can tell them when we're available.

Just assume we'll be booked for Saturday, maybe have them play us Sunday?

Also, need more volunteers for Saturday's game, 4-5pm EST/9-10pm GMT-ish.

dralla

played this for about 2 hours yesterday for the first ime ina long time. I noticed they hanged the teamkilling, I was gettin run over by teamates and I was geting launched into the air and not dying. is there a lit of the changes they made since the original relase?

GOD DAMN IT GAFTARDS!

WHY DON'T WE TRY PLAYING GAMES AS A CLAN?!

Ugh - Arkestra this means you. >:|

Of course I'm sure the retard we sent to your side didn't relay the message to get all GAF on one fucking side. >:|

Ceb

How can we lose clan matches when we're so good that we scare away everyone?

TTOB: I didn't switch teams in the first round because I was hoping to rope in enough people that they wouldn't quit en masse when the GAF collective started pwning their asses. Guess that was for naught. :/

Oh, and DireStr8s: that first push you gave my jeep on Eucadia was hilarious. For those of you who weren't there, he rammed me so hard with his warhawk that I flew from the end of the base bridge up on top a rooftop. :lol

methane47

dralla said:
mmm I still saw some TK's, is it for explosions only maybe?

If you are flying a plane and someone is in the plane with you and you suicide.. you also kill the person.. ending up in it being a team kill... Same way if you're driving a vehicle and you run into the water... Teamkill goes to the driver

Steroyd

GOD DAMN IT GAFTARDS!

WHY DON'T WE TRY PLAYING GAMES AS A CLAN?!

Ugh - Arkestra this means you. >:|

Of course I'm sure the retard we sent to your side didn't relay the message to get all GAF on one fucking side. >:|

We do try, it's just that to play as a clan we need someone to fill the other end, which rarely happens with random people.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sea Manky said:
Just assume we'll be booked for Saturday, maybe have them play us Sunday?

Also, need more volunteers for Saturday's game, 4-5pm EST/9-10pm GMT-ish.

I'll
try to
be there.

Had a pretty decent dog fighting level on Arkestra's server, or whoever was hosting earlier. Not awesome, but better than usual.

How integral is using the right analogue stick in pro-flight mode in order to shake a lock?

I've been using pro-flight since I bought this game, but suck at it. >:|

And on that first CTF map, since my clan mates were on the opposing team I decided to say FUCK YOU! to that final flag capture.

I used methane's suggestion of moving all the jeeps away from the flag, and parked a tank in the hangar facing the flag; which kept it safe from most of the lightning attacks.

This seemed to work well.

So yeah, move all jeeps and land vehicles to the rear of your base and face them away from the exit this costs the enemy enough time in finding a vehicle and gives us time to trap them in a killzone. >:D

Ceb

Had a pretty decent dog fighting level on Arkestra's server, or whoever was hosting earlier. Not awesome, but better than usual.

How integral is using the right analogue stick in pro-flight mode in order to shake a lock?

I've been using pro-flight since I bought this game, but suck at it. >:|

And on that first CTF map, since my clan mates were on the opposing team I decided to say FUCK YOU! to that final flag capture.

I used methane's suggestion of moving all the jeeps away from the flag, and parked a tank in the hangar facing the flag; which kept it safe from most of the lightning attacks.

This seemed to work well.

So yeah, move all jeeps and land vehicles to the rear of your base and face them away from the exit this costs the enemy enough time in finding a vehicle and gives us time to trap them in a killzone. >:D

Yes, you were doing very well in the dogfight! I thought about your exaggerated self-criticism several times. :p

And yeah, moving the jeeps to the back seemed to work well. As an attacker, you can't run through the hangar and the long side of the wall leaves you exposed to back attacks.

Now find a similarly good strategy for Island Outpost. I get so frustrated every time I see the enemy slip through the (big) cracks there. :(

carlos

I'm gonna be writing a FAQ for pilots in the next day or two just between us, I hope it'll help those who need some pointers in the air and those relatively new to the game.

Chapters so far include:
-the basics
-damage & awareness
-combat: WH vs ground
-combat: WH vs WH
-HELP ME GAF I'M IN A WARHAWK AND THERE ARE MISSILES LOCKED ON WHAT SHOULD I DO?! (c)2008 sea mankey
-advanced moves
-air mine placement and avoidance

I'll try to keep it organized, but I make no promises :p

and let's keep trying to play together; thanks to ceb for hosting, but even if he can't we should try to invade servers once in a while

User 406

Banned
Simple evasion routine for swarm missile locks: first start boosting away, then use the right stick to sharply pitch up and down. There's a bit of a rhythm to it, so experiment with how frequently you switch direction. It's really something you have to feel your way into. Homing missiles and turret missiles take a lot sharper turns and banking to deal with, so just concentrate on dodging swarm missile streams until you get comfortable.

carlos said:
-HELP ME GAF I'M IN A WARHAWK AND THERE ARE MISSILES LOCKED ON WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

Hey, you stole that from me! >:O

Ceb said:
Yes, you were doing very well in the dogfight! I thought about your exaggerated self-criticism several times. :p

Haw!

Omega Factory is just a good map for me it seems. I mainly kept using Power Missiles which are abundant on that stage and making sure I'm close enough to my target that they ram straight up their ass. :p

I also started to use single missile locks to get the enemy to deploy their chaff - then follow up with more missiles.

As for evasion, I've noticed the contrails of people that always spite me in Warhawks, and it seems they have a worm sort of pattern to shaking locks. Also I was trying to stick with the pack. Safety in numbers. :p

Do you always need to boost to shake a lock, or is there a better way?

When I hear the lock warning I immediately double tap for a turbo boost and start flailing around like an ass.

What are the sure fire techniques of shaking a lock?

carlos said:
and let's keep trying to play together; thanks to ceb for hosting, but even if he can't we should try to invade servers once in a while

That should be easy enough. You can always find nearly empty official servers to invade.

Top Bottom