• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

User 406

Banned
You don't have to boost to shake lock, but until you're good at it it helps give you more time to try to evade.

And yeah, a worm pattern is a good way to describe it. Like I said, just pitch your nose up and down as you run away. You'll probably get killed a good bit before you start shaking locks consistently, you just need to practice and get a feel for it.

One way to practice in pregames and whatnot where there's maybe only an enemy or two in the air is to get one to chase you, then keep an eye on the map and try to fly away from them with the occasional tap boost to keep them from getting into close range. When they fire off their missiles, boost away and work on dodging. If you live, repeat. :p

Ceb

I can shake most missiles by doing a sideways "S" pattern. I've discovered that it's easier to ditch homing missiles with ProFlight.

And yeah, invading servers is probably the best bet during off-hours and weekdays. It's an unnecessary pain for everyone involved to try to get a crowded game going on a private server.

The downside with official servers is having to play with morons that you can't do anything about. I stupidly grenade suicided while holding our flag in the base (stalemate going on). Then this absolute retard picks up the flag after me and just stands there in a corner even when we had recapped our flag. I tried to summon his attention by jumping on him, but all that made him do was crouch. So I finally think "oh well, fuck it" and throw a grenade at him, willing to eat the negative points for the sake of the team. Then I remember friendly fire is off. :mad:

methane47

Sea Manky said:
Simple evasion routine for swarm missile locks: first start boosting away, then use the right stick to sharply pitch up and down. There's a bit of a rhythm to it, so experiment with how frequently you switch direction. It's really something you have to feel your way into. Homing missiles and turret missiles take a lot sharper turns and banking to deal with, so just concentrate on dodging swarm missile streams until you get comfortable.

Thats definitely Something I need to work on.. My evasion skills suck big time... Most of the time.. I depend on a Full boost with a TIGHT BANK... Which.. only works for one or two swarm missiles... But I have gotten ok in using cover.. In the islands.. when I'm near the bases.. I quickly get underneath the catwalks... Missles have a HARD time hitting me there lol..

but I'm going to try your worm method..

So you're saying that I should be going in a straight line.. but just going up and down? No left/right turns or anything??

User 406

Banned
You can certainly do other types of turns to shake them off, the whole idea is to fake the missiles into turning in a direction where they can't "see" you anymore. So one hard turn might lose a couple, but many will lose more. So don't just bank one way, bank hard the other way too. When you start getting used to the motion, your pitching will be pretty exaggerated. Once you become experienced with it, you can tighten up the timing, and then you'll be able to jink missiles with minimum wasted motion. That's how I dodge missiles in a "straight line" and can still keep following and locking on to targets as I do it.

icechai

methane47 said:
Thats definitely Something I need to work on.. My evasion skills suck big time... Most of the time.. I depend on a Full boost with a TIGHT BANK... Which.. only works for one or two swarm missiles... But I have gotten ok in using cover.. In the islands.. when I'm near the bases.. I quickly get underneath the catwalks... Missles have a HARD time hitting me there lol..

but I'm going to try your worm method..

So you're saying that I should be going in a straight line.. but just going up and down? No left/right turns or anything??

straight up and down is a good way to start but if you want to come around to attack them you'll need to learn sideways banks. Also if its just a ton of swarm missiles usually 1 sharp bank and barrel rolling will evade them. homing takes 2 banks, and turrets take 2 banks + boost from my experience.

oh and nice game today in CTF methane, couldn't hear any mic talk though since volume was off but we really took it to them :)

kbear

Playing big CTF games is frustrating. There's very rarely a flag score... the last game I played it was 30 minutes of people picking up the flag and getting killed right away. Somehow in the last minute our team scored. Big CTF games aren't fun for me because of this...

So should I get the Omega Dawn pack? Is the new map and drop ship fun and popular? I barely play the game anymore... couple times a month, which is why I haven't bought the pack yet. But I'm willing to give it another shot... the 1.3 patch details shows Incog is really supporting this game.

So I was just reading the 1.3 patch ps.blog post and noticed this link posted by Dylan Jobe: http://stats.us.playstation.com/Warhawk/Leaderboards.aspx

472,659 on the leaderboards... it seems the game did ok. I guess that's pretty solid... I hope they at least broke even

methane47

kbear said:
Playing big CTF games is frustrating. There's very rarely a flag score... the last game I played it was 30 minutes of people picking up the flag and getting killed right away. Somehow in the last minute our team scored. Big CTF games aren't fun for me because of this...

So should I get the Omega Dawn pack? Is the new map and drop ship fun and popular? I barely play the game anymore... couple times a month, which is why I haven't bought the pack yet. But I'm willing to give it another shot... the 1.3 patch details shows Incog is really supporting this game.

So I was just reading the 1.3 patch ps.blog post and noticed this link posted by Dylan Jobe: http://stats.us.playstation.com/Warhawk/Leaderboards.aspx

472,659 on the leaderboards... it seems the game did ok. I guess that's pretty solid... I hope they at least broke even

I say.. if you're only gonna play a couple times a month.. then the expansion isn't worth it.. But if you get into the habbit of playing with gaffers.. then you;ll play more and more.. and soon enough .. you'll WANT the expansion

kbear

methane47 said:
I say.. if you're only gonna play a couple times a month.. then the expansion isn't worth it.. But if you get into the habbit of playing with gaffers.. then you;ll play more and more.. and soon enough .. you'll WANT the expansion
Do you guys play regularly? is it organized at all? i'd like to play with gaffers... it feels like most of the time i'm just playing by myself in Warhawk, even in the big ctf games. I don't have a clan or anything. It's not just me... people seem to just do their own thing. my PSN id is hippopotamus
feel free to add me if anyone wants to play

icechai

kbear said:
Do you guys play regularly? is it organized at all? i'd like to play with gaffers... it feels like most of the time i'm just playing by myself in Warhawk, even in the big ctf games. I don't have a clan or anything. It's not just me... people seem to just do their own thing. my PSN id is hippopotamus
feel free to add me if anyone wants to play

organized practices and games happen every week. Also if you don't have time or on a diff timezone than when they schedule that stuff, its nice just to log in and see your clanmates in games already and you end up joining their game. Which usually results in either really good teammates or really strong opposition :p

Since you play big ctf games, Omega Dawn changes the dynamics so flag caps happen a LOT more frequently due to the drop ship. 2-3 people who somehow end up working together at the right time can cap a flag in 20 seconds or less (depending on the defense, but either way, you never know when the tide can turn in a game). Yup, nothing like finally getting out of their base, about to be bombarded by their warhawks and suddenly something picks your jeep up and carries it into the sky :) Or vice versa when you sneak your dropship across the map and pick up a teammate's vehicle who just got the flag.

kbear

icechai said:
organized practices and games happen every week. Also if you don't have time or on a diff timezone than when they schedule that stuff, its nice just to log in and see your clanmates in games already and you end up joining their game. Which usually results in either really good teammates or really strong opposition :p

Since you play big ctf games, Omega Dawn changes the dynamics so flag caps happen a LOT more frequently due to the drop ship. 2-3 people who somehow end up working together at the right time can cap a flag in 20 seconds or less (depending on the defense, but either way, you never know when the tide can turn in a game)
sweet.. can you invite me to the clan next time you get on? (no rush) i'm gonna pickup the expansion.. i spent double that on lunch today, it's really nothing when you think about it.

Ceb

kbear said:

Sounds like you should play on medium-sized maps then. :) LG-CTF can be a bit like soccer games - lots of struggling on the midfield, eventually someone will make a successful break for the goal.

Steroyd

Ceb said:
Sounds like you should play on medium-sized maps then. :) LG-CTF can be a bit like soccer games - lots of struggling on the midfield, eventually someone will make a successful break for the goal.

You might be onto something there! :O

Base our Warhawk CTF tactics on Football.

Goalkeeper - sniffs the flag's butt at all times.
Defence - Defends flag and takes spawn points closest to flag.
Midfield - Takes more advanced spawn points, supports defence and attack when needed.
Attack - Kamakaze's into getting the enemy flag all the time.

ChryZ

kbear said:
Playing big CTF games is frustrating. There's very rarely a flag score... the last game I played it was 30 minutes of people picking up the flag and getting killed right away. Somehow in the last minute our team scored.
Was it [GAF]ChryZ-US? ;)

I played some more after the session on Ceb's server yesterday and ended up in a game like that. The other team was camping the shit out of their flag. So I cleared the air space, took as many bases as possible, swooped their flag in the last 3 min, scored and played the rest of the time defense. We won :D

Oh my god!

Was just playing on some Japanese server and this guy Birgitte (IIRC) was a fucking insane pilot. Me and another guy are on his ass unloading missiles, etc. And he not only gets away, but he swings back around and takes my ass out.

MOTHERFUCKER!

burnfout

Steroyd said:

Midfield - Takes more advanced spawn points, supports defence and attack when needed.

Kamikaze pilot reporting :)

methane47

Steroyd said:

Midfielder suits me perfectly !! :D

carlos

I see we have a couple new challenges on gamebattles; blackops killers Thursday at 9:45pm EST; and the rematch challenge with fearless gamers clan on saturday....

I'd be available for the Thursday match, should we choose to accept it.

I'm unavailable for the other weekend matches :(

DireStr8s

Ceb said:
Oh, and DireStr8s: that first push you gave my jeep on Eucadia was hilarious. For those of you who weren't there, he rammed me so hard with his warhawk that I flew from the end of the base bridge up on top a rooftop. :lol

That was a sight to behold. I had been inspired by Methane's post about kamikaze pilots boosting into tanks, so I gave it a shot. Did not expect you to take flight!

With some practice that could be a good tactic...boosting your own flag carrier out of harm's way.

methane47

nickslicl said:
That was a sight to behold. I had been inspired by Methane's post about kamikaze pilots boosting into tanks, so I gave it a shot. Did not expect you to take flight!

With some practice that could be a good tactic...boosting your own flag carrier out of harm's way.

Were you guys on the same team? lol was it a HELPfull push? lol

Cuz I'm thinking .. that could become a good tactic for CTF matches...
You see your Team-mate in a jeep being hammered by jets... You BOOST IN .. and knock the SNOT out of the jeep.. hopefully it will land near home base :lol

DireStr8s

methane47 said:
Were you guys on the same team? lol was it a HELPfull push? lol

Cuz I'm thinking .. that could become a good tactic for CTF matches...
You see your Team-mate in a jeep being hammered by jets... You BOOST IN .. and knock the SNOT out of the jeep.. hopefully it will land near home base :lol

It was pregame tomfoolery. Then some elite asshat joined on Arkestra's team and killed me some, so I go after my revege whereupon he kills me some more.

Then the game starts & TToB & I get smashed :)

And now my eyes are forever open to boostin opportunities. I've gone Kamikraze.

User 406

Banned
A while back some of us were dicking around with the game in a private room, TToB was there so he remembers this. We were on Island Outpost, put an air mine above one of the big base landing pads, put a manned jeep at the bottom of the ramp, and then boosted a warhawk into the jeep, propelling the jeep up the ramp, through the air, and squarely into the air mine.

...whereupon the jeep sailed harmlessly through it, since Incog couldn't be bothered to implement collision detection between air mines and ground vehicles/troops. :( TOTALLY UNREALISTIC GAME.

Turns out Damage Control wants another game with us as well, maybe this time we should stack the roster. >:p

I still have the brief video of that. I need to dig it up and put it online. :p

Also I was thinking we should see if we can get the Playstation Nation guys together for a clan game for the hell of it. The next time Torgo posts I'll ask.

mintylurb

methane47 said:
-.-

That was absolutely ridiculous..I dont think most of the people in my team realized that it was a CTF match..

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
aww, it wasn't that bad. Once I decided to take a break from dominating the air, you guys pretty much controlled everything for the last 5 or 6 mins. ;d

methane47

mintylurb said:
aww, it wasn't that bad. Once I decided to take a break from dominating the air, you guys pretty much controlled everything for the last 5 or 6 mins. ;d

Yeah.. thats the thing.. the guys were actually GOOD... but apparently they thought it was a zones match or something.. :lol

mintylurb

methane47 said:
Yeah.. thats the thing.. the guys were actually GOOD... but apparently they thought it was a zones match or something.. :lol
Even methane can't deny my amazing wh skills..
oni640.gif
Anyway, it was rather funny seeing you just waltz into our base, take our flag and almost get away unharmed. Only if your team mates came to your rescue.. ;<

User 406

Banned
Maybe we need to put some specification of times we'll play in our clan blurb, some of these challenges are just not feasible for us timewise. And in case anyone's curious, I'm on vacation from match organizing this week. XD

Also, they're doing another one of those all-star games the saturday after next at 5pm EST, so I won't be available if we have a match then.

carlos

Nice work, I'm partial to the third or fourth one

Just had a 92 kill ctf round, so close to triple digits!
Omega factory, done mostly with air mines/ homing missles...In one particular stretch, I had 7 kills with 3 air mines in a matter of 5-10 seconds in their flag area as they were trying to stop my teams flagcarrier.
I'll be the first to admit, the no friendly fire definitely helps me, though

User 406

Banned
Got a message from Bee_Poo of Best of Warhawk, they say they're good to go this Saturday at 4:30pm EST/9:30pm GMT. 6vs6.

Volunteers so far:
0 nohne
6 Arkestra
6 methane47
8 ChryZ-US
8 Sea_Manky
12 Escalation
Possibly Bloody_Marcel?

Could use a couple more volunteers/alternates.

Steroyd

Sea Manky said:
Got a message from Bee_Poo of Best of Warhawk, they say they're good to go this Saturday at 4:30pm EST/9:30pm GMT. 6vs6.

Volunteers so far:
0 nohne
6 Arkestra
6 methane47
8 ChryZ-US
8 Sea_Manky
12 Escalation
Possibly Bloody_Marcel?

Could use a couple more volunteers/alternates.

I'm always volunteering for every match for as long as I can stay awake.

ChryZ

The Take Out Bandit said:
ChryZ: I like the third one with the impact lines, but I'd suggest putting the Warhawk above the focus lines instead of behind it. If you need a hand with it I can assist.
Good suggestion! Tomorrow I'll take the best from 3&4 and merge it into one logo with the focus lines in the background.

Top Bottom