• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

mintylurb said:
oh, if you want easy kills, make sure to add ttob and play against him

Woman, get back in the kitchen! >:|

Beside, you're only good in the air; and trailing me in team points. Proving once again - THERE IS NO MINTYLURB IN TEAMWORK! :D

User 406

Banned
If you Nosey McEavesdroppers must know, I was folding a bunch of laundry, so I had the playstation downloading a bunch of new demos. I'm trying to play through some so I can delete them and make space. :p

Some good stuff, but nothing worth making me violate my cheapass rule yet.

After I eat I'll hop on with you guys.

Sea Manky said:
If you Nosey McEavesdroppers must know, I was folding a bunch of laundry, so I had the playstation downloading a bunch of new demos. I'm trying to play through some so I can delete them and make space. :p

Gamefly, $15 a month. Dinner for One, return, play the next one.

Also you don't accumulate shit that takes up space.

mintylurb

Sea Manky said:

After I eat I'll hop on with you guys.
ratchet is pretty good but i don't think it's worth 60 bucks. pick it up when it hits around 30-40.

Steroyd

Hey it was very hard not to notice something other than Warhawk under your tag.

I'll join your server + 1 in a minute damn moaning cousin.

User 406

Banned
If I got a gamefly subscription, I'd be compelled to try and get the maximum value out of it, so I'd end up constantly renting a bunch of dumb shit that will cut down severely on my Warhawk time. :X

And minty, when I say cheapass, I mean under $10 or forget it. :p

Actually, the first time I see a $10 PSX3 game I'm interested in, I'll probably just revise that rule down to $5 and boot up Warhawk. XD

ChryZ

Sea Manky said:
I didn't even see PlayerBeyond leave, or I would have switched. :X

Looks like we're going to raid a server in a few.
Going head to head with you is insane. How the fuck are you able to turn that fast or to get close range homing missile hits (do you even lock on to a target?!). I was luck to make you nom a mine or two while bailing :\

mintylurb

ChryZ said:
Going head to head with you is insane. How the fuck are you able to turn that fast or to get close range homing missile hits (do you even lock on to a target?!). I was luck to make you nom a mine or two while bailing :\
Mankey Magic!

Kazenone

ChryZ said:

I know, Sea Mankey is impossible.

I can't play right now because my headset battery has gone.

Kazenone

Sorry I couldn't reply to you Sea Manky but what you were doing was incredible. I think that I learnt a bit, I definitely need to do some more missile practice with you.

User 406

Banned
Got double teamed for a while by minty and TToB. I was impressed. TToB, you're better than you think you are, and if you get the dodging missiles down you'll be damn good. Minty, you've improved a lot since I last took you on, I was having a hell of a time keeping you in my sights. I'd say you're one of our top tier dogfighters now. With both of you on me all I could do was run. XD

Chryz: Part of it is that tight turning I mentioned after carlos' post, and part of it is just experience. I'll start turning before you pass me if I know which way you're headed. Note: I don't always guess right. :X

ChryZ

Sea Manky said:
Chryz: Part of it is that tight turning I mentioned after carlos' post, and part of it is just experience. I'll start turning before you pass me if I know which way you're headed. Note: I don't always guess right. :X
I read your comment, but I still haven't fully managed to apply it effectively (especially against you). It kinda worked on minty a few times though :D

mintylurb

ChryZ said:
I read your comment, but I still haven't fully managed to apply it effectively (especially against you). It kinda worked on minty a few times though :D
Ya, that's cause I was being doubled team by both of you guys ;b Just you watch! imma have my revenge!! ;d

depward

Whoever GAF revolver is, ggs with the level 4 zone server. Though, switching teams to the winning team on the last seconds of the game is pretty distasteful... but whatevs.

i can evade homing, i can evade swarm, i can evade one of the turret missiles, but fuck me if the damn rpg gets my ass all the fucking time from the middle of nowhere

i get no beeps, just beep-BOOM even from full energy

icechai

onadesertedisland said:
i can evade homing, i can evade swarm, i can evade one of the turret missiles, but fuck me if the damn rpg gets my ass all the fucking time from the middle of nowhere

i get no beeps, just beep-BOOM even from full energy

what's strange for me is i always dodge them but there's no indicator that i left missle lock for RPG, i just see them pass by me and I'm still at full health after evasive maneuvers (usually you hear double beeps after evading something). Starting to get back in the warhawk groove (at least a game a day) so I'm finally not getting shot out of the sky constantly by good pilots.

ChryZ

mintylurb said:
Ya, that's cause I was being doubled team by both of you guys ;b Just you watch! imma have my revenge!! ;d
:p

Anyways ... don't know about you guys, but everything I know about air combat was pretty much trial and error so far. So I decided to read up on the subject and found this useful resource:

http://www.flightsimbooks.com/f15strikeeagle/03_04_Air_Combat_Basics.php

Most of it makes perfect sense and should be applicable.

Oswald Boelcke and the Eight Rules of Air Combat

Air combat has changed dramatically since World War I. Basic tactics and rules established by Oswald Boelcke in 1916, however, have stood the test of time well. These are eight rules of air combat designed to help new pilots survive and win.

1. Try to secure an advantage before you begin your attack. This advantage can be altitude, position, weapons or surprise.

2. Always carry through with an attack once you've started.

3. Fire only at close range and when your opponent is properly in your sights. When applied to missile attacks, this means shoot when in good position with a good angle and within the minimum and maximum firing ranges. When applied to guns, it means fill the screen with the enemy plane.

4. Always keep your eye on your opponent. Don't be deceived by ruses. This means be prepared for your opponent to cut his speed to force you to overshoot.

5. Always attack from behind your opponent. This isn't as important now as it was in 1916, although it still applies to a good gun attack.

6. When attacked, turn into the attack; don't try to evade. This still holds true. Always be on the offensive.

7. When over enemy lines, never forget your own line of retreat. When your health and/or weapons are low, start thinking about how you're going to get back to base.

8. Attack in groups of four or six.

Kazenone

Sea Manky said:
Okay, go the MVP match videos up, here's the torrent: http://seamanky.strangled.net/~ataru/GAFvsMVP1.torrent

I think we could have taken that CTF match if we had had better air control. There was a couple times when I was coming out of the enemy base with the flag, we owned all the other bases, and I was being attacked by multiple enemy warhawks but none of our guys were in the air. >:|

Got a direct download for that vid? I can't torrent over wireless :/

Ceb

I get a file not found on that torrent.

EDIT:

Do we have any volunteers for that challenge from The Organization? I can play.

Top Bottom