• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Thrakier

deepbrown said:
It does if you're playing Death Match/Team Death Match :D

Yeah, that's true. And I don't like it that I died almost twice as often...just no fun to loose the whole time and teamplay isn't really working. But I'll give it some more tries. Could someone send me a GAF-Clan invitation? XD

Steroyd

Thrakier said:
Yeah, that's true. And I don't like it that I died almost twice as often...just no fun to loose the whole time and teamplay isn't really working. But I'll give it some more tries. Could someone send me a GAF-Clan invitation? XD

I'm going to psychically add your PSN.

wait for it...

wait for it....

I got nothin'

Thrakier said:

I felt the same way you did when I first got the game. I immediately had buyer's remorse, especially when I first jumped into a game and had no idea what was going on. But trust me, once you get the hang of things the game becomes AMAZING. It's easily my favorite game this gen.

When you play, pay attention to things. Go into a local game to get a feel for the map layouts and weapon placements. When you're in an online game, pay attention to where your teammates place mines, and learn some tactics for the Warhawk (which admitedly takes some practice). I for one love the length of the matches. You're fighting in an epic battle, after all.

Here's hoping you don't give up. I'll be looking forward to seeing you online.

deepbrown

Thrakier said:
Don't worry. Concentrate on ground combat for now. Get a rifle...and shoot at enemies heads...not their feet, not their torso. Their head. They'll die quicker than you if they don't know what their doing.

Throw grenades. Work out how far you can throw them, and throw them when you're in proper range - if in doubt throw it.

FInd mines, in fact find where all the weapons are and try and remember where they are.

Capture bases in Team deathmatches - you can potentially get 4 points from doing this, even though it's 1 point for a kill.

Take the battle to them, pick up all the weapons you can and use them.
:D

Ceb

OK, I'm gonna give !GAF one more try soon. If you guys show up, we'll go about it kinda like this: if one team leads over the other with 2-0 in CTF, over twice the score in Zones, 40 points in TDM, etc.... one or two of the top gaffers from the leading team will switch to the other side. Even if the underdogs now manage to turn around and win it all, both teams will have gotten a taste of how to play while under pressure.

icechai

Thrakier said:
I'm not very good in a Warhawk. When I see someone first I may be able to shoot some rockets at him but most of the time he gets away. It's just...the game seems to be so chaotic. And sometimes I think I'm the only one going for the objectives. My K/D Ratio sucks (which makes me mad coming from cod4 where I have a 1.4 ratio) but I'm almost always in the Top 3 and often the best player regarding points.

I always filtered for official servers with less than general because I thought all the generals out there would frag me anyway? ;)

Strategy for groundfighting: Explosive weapons explode! So use the schrapnel from your grenades and rockets. Don't aim for the guy, aim for where he's about to run to or jump to. Rockets are deadly combined with grenades if you have good timing while shooting the ground.

Assault rifles are super deadly if used in a higher elevation, so if you see someone running below you, switch to assault rifle and unload.

Flame throwers are great versus tanks if you sneak up on them, or if you find yourself suddenly next to a enemy.

But the best weapon really is the grenade. If you respawn and some guy is taking that spawn spot, he doesn't know you're there yet. Lob a grenade at him and he's dead (again, aim so the grenade lands at his feet). If you don't have weapons and some guys are coming at you, use the environment to avoid gunshots and lob grenades!! Explosive weapons are the only real instant kill type weapons.

Once you get used to that, get used to fighting in Warhawks. My K/D ratio fluctuates from .8-5.00, but you don't really think about it because you just think about completing the objective (unless your in TDM).

Steroyd

Speaking of fluctating could I have been anymore hot and cold. :|

Some rounds I was absolutely dire, other matches I was top of the losing team.

icechai

Steroyd said:
Speaking of fluctating could I have been anymore hot and cold. :|

Some rounds I was absolutely dire, other matches I was top of the losing team.

Hmmm it was a strange couple of rounds. My team really didn't do well in the air, but they seemed to rock the ground. So basically it was a few people flying around, ground wars everywhere, and me in the sky cleaning up :)

carlos

Ceb said:
I've had instances on !GAF where my team has been up against Manky, carlos and CSSer all on the same team. By the way, I didn't hear you complain about dominating then, carlos. :p
Heh, surprised to come back to the thread and find people talking smack about me while I was gone.

Better pick on another target guys, since I'm one of the few who regularly switches teams midway depending on how lopsided it is. (and I have the distinct pleasure of usually being in the non gaf team when !gaf is up). Chryz or someone else feeling bad about ganging up on me many posts back, as well as that badlands ctf days ago which my merry nitwits and myself ended in a 0-0 tie, for example.

whatever....I see tonight's challenge was removed :/
and I anticipate that I won't be around next weekend due to Good Friday/Easter/etc.

Thrakier

Thanks for all the tips, I will try again tomorrow. :) At least I had one cool move - was in a tank-shooutout and noticed that I will loose because he was one shot up in front. I jumped out of the tank and blew him up with a greande before he got me. :) In the next match another guy did the exact same thing to me. :(

One question about the mines: I constantly run into those and it seems everyone got them except me. Are there any special places there they are hide or is it just me that I can't see them.

Thrakier said:
One question about the mines: I constantly run into those and it seems everyone got them except me. Are there any special places there they are hide or is it just me that I can't see them.

Depends on the map, but most of the time they'll be placed around a corner in a high traffic area, in the inside door of a base, on top of ladders, etc. Listen for the distinctive beeping sound they make. You can tell if it's your team's mine by the color it emits (blue=Eucadian, red=Chernovan). A mine is powerful enough to destroy soldiers, jeeps, and Warhawks (if you're low enough to the ground) in one shot. It takes two to fully destroy a tank.

A really good way to figure out where to lay mines is just by observing others. Also, learn from your mistakes. When you run into mines, make a note as to where they are. And don't think that becoming better at the game reduces frustration. I just played two games today and boy...was I pissed off at the end of them. :D

And a question for the Warhawk pros in this thread. How many shots does it take to destroy a tank with a tank? Thanks.

Great games carlos. Very fun. But geez, you're a beast! I don't even know how you get all those points so quickly. We already had all the bases, and you had way too many points from kills alone. But yeah, good times. :lol

And I unexpectedly received my Master Air-to-Vehicle badge. That was a welcome surprise. And was it just me, or did that match become a one-sided TDM after we captured the second flag? It's like no one even attempted to go after their flag anymore. :lol

DireStr8s

I think this clan shit (GBs & recent tensions) is killing warhawk for me. i haven't played much @ all & I have no desire to. I feel totally burned out. I think I'll come back after the update...should feel like a new game w/ everything incognito's adding.

mintylurb

nickslicl said:
I think this clan shit (GBs & recent tensions) is killing warhawk for me. i haven't played much @ all & I have no desire to. I feel totally burned out. I think I'll come back after the update...should feel like a new game w/ everything incognito's adding.
what tension?
oni906.gif

User 406

Banned
Ah hell. Some family stuff has come up, and I won't be able to play in the match today, most likely. Should be okay for tomorrow. Sorry.

And guys, don't stress out too much. As the announcer from Assault Rigs reminds us, "Remember people, this is just a game. COOOOOOOOOL JUMP!"

Hey, would you all be interested in having another clan game against CAG sometime? I know you beat us pretty badly (although we have more members now and have been practiving more), but we'd love to play you all again. I'm thinking a Saturday would be good (not today, but in the future). Either someone at GAF can provide the server again, or I'll see about talking to a CAG member who can host 24 people.

Thanks and we hope to play against you again.

Steroyd

Supposed to be in 3:30 hours but... they haven't accepted the challenge yet.

Would love to have a re-match with CAG one Saturday.

F-Pina

I also need to know.
Will be out for the next 2 hours so if it starts in the meantime you can't on me. Scheduling a day without a fixed hour doesn't work for me.
Will be back to read post and check if i can make it to a match.

ChryZ

nickslicl said:
Don't worry, it's not that bad ... my rant was more the means to insure that playing with clan stays fun for everyone.

icechai

nickslicl said:

Dunno seems more fun to me now, always a couple people playing in a game that I can get in with. Lately I've gotten into quite a lot of games with Steroyd, Jaeyden, and Chryz. Also I see Jack here and there.

ChryZ

Match ID:
Waiting for scores
Date & Time:
Sat 15 Mar 2008, 11:00 PM CET

Players:
8v8
Room Name:
GafvsBOK
Password:
battle
Score Limit (Team Deathmatch):
Friendly Fire:
100% (On)

Games (Best of...):
Game 1 Map:
Archipelago - Team Deathmatch
Game 2 Map:
Eucadia - Zones
Game 3 Map:
Destroyed Capitol - Capture the Flag

It's 11:26 PM CET, server is not up, no gaffers, no Steroyd.

Jaeyden

There was no match. BOK accepted the challenge 10 minutes before the match was scheduled <---whatever the fuck that is about. There was no server up, and only four of us with no direction, we just sat in mibbit for an hour and then finally said fuck it.

carlos

Jaeyden said:
There was no match. BOK accepted the challenge 10 minutes before the match was scheduled <---whatever the fuck that is about. There was no server up, and only four of us with no direction, we just sat in mibbit for an hour and then finally said fuck it.

I popped into mibbit at game time, someone told me the match was cancelled/there was no server up; anyway like you said there weren't enough people on our side, but that's a real bullshit move, to file for a win when they didn't even set up the server.

whatever, it's just a game; what do they gain from pulling that stuff anyway....looks like we have another clan to avoid...

icechai

Assembly Required said:
Is Warhawk still doing well? (Population wise) .. I would like to purchase warhawk but I would like to know if now is still a good time to jump on board?

yes, 2 pages of about 32 players in a server around the clock, and then a quite a few servers with medium sized maps that are full. You'll usually find some good game to join :)

Has anyone else ever encountered the very annoying glitch where your Warhawk always shows full health, even when it isn't? (it might also happen with other vehicles, too, but if it did I didn't notice.) I just had two games where this happened, and it was the first time I've ever seen this.

Top Bottom