• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
so, two americans entered an European warhawk server yesterday.... pretty normal conversation between them until one of them started screaming "OOooooooodeesssaaa!" over and over again. I guess the guy was from Odessa.
when nothing seemed to work to shut him up, the impossible happened. A girly nickname entered the game :lol the dude stopped screaming and started asking non-stop "mini-Sal, are you a Giiiirl?"

the other dude was "dude, shutup, i don't have to put up with your shit".... and a nice your-mom-is discussion or something like that was now in place!

I started laughing because I never witnessed the rumors first hand. People here usually talk how to win the game

User 406

Banned
That's why when we took too long to get a roster together, challenges against us got withdrawn. If you leave them open, they can accept any time up to match time. Oh well, live and learn.

Funny thing last night, was playing rather late on a Japanese server, to start with there was the usual level of tough competition, then as it got closer to midnight, the server started getting invaded by a bunch of American kids. Nothing like hearing, "Sea Monkey sucks dick" from a prepubescent voice in between rounds from the losing team. XD

Couldn't stay too long after that because these kids were just dumb as hell. In one CTF game, a kid from the opposing team just kept getting in a warhawk, boosting straight over to our base to drop down and get the flag. Put down land mines, he'd hit them every time. I put air mines in a direct line to our base and he ate every one. TOWed him several times in midair. Of course next game he was on my team. :( I got the flag back to our base in Destroyed Capitol, but the rest of the kids let them escape with our flag while I was doing it.

So this same kid starts shooting at me with his assault rife and tossing grenades. I ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing, and he says, "Oh, I'm not going to kill you." Then he starts trying to tell me that I should stay inside the base and watch out for mines and giving me all kinds of advice, meanwhile standing very close to me. Of course, a couple other kids decide defending the flag carrier by standing really close to him and putting mines right next to him would be a great idea. Pretty soon I'm running around the base trying to shake these nuisances while they start yelling at each other and calling each other "gay" for blowing up each others' mines. Of course, while all this is happening, the enemy team had taken back all the bases, and got their entire team including a jeep inside our base, where they made short work of the kids and took me out in the process. Of course they managed to return the flag and score. We won the game since we already had two points to their one, but I had had enough at that point. :X

Too bad, because before they showed up, there were some serious pilots and well contested games.

ChryZ

Damage Control VS. GAF U

Match ID:801596
Date & Time:Sun 16 Mar 2008, 9:00 PM CET

Players:8v8
Room Name:*DC* vs GAF
Password:gaf
Score Limit (Team Deathmatch):200
Friendly Fire:100% (On)

Games (Best of...): 5

Game 1 Map: Archipelago - Capture the Flag
Game 2 Map: Eucadia - Team Deathmatch
Game 3 Map: Destroyed Capitol - Zones
Game 4 Map: Island Outpost - Zones
Game 5 Map: Archipelago - Capture the Flag

T minus 1h10m

User 406

Banned
Huh, I just had my first lockup in ages, and it was on an official server. I normally don't go into official servers because of the FF off thing, but this time I was in there because I saw someone on the clan list there. (Of course it was out of date, and they weren't.) Maybe the freezing problems some people like minty are having are from playing on official servers?

Oh, and I was greeted with racial and homophobic epithets there for the first time in ages too. Yay official servers. :/

Steroyd

Bah! Island Outpost Zones AGAIN.

At least we have Archipelago.

Maps.

Island outpost

WarhawkMapIslandOutpost.png

Ecudia

WarhawkMapEcudia.png

Destroyd Capital

WarhawkMapDestroyedCapital.png

Archipelago

WarhawkMapArchipelago.png

You know what... we should look at which zones have the best resources and base our tactics like that, for example catching the middle base of Archipelago, gives you a resource pool of 4 warhawks to work from, which is always going to be advantageous against the team that can only pick 1 or 2 warhawks.

What are some of your favorite servers? ..I'm having trouble finding decent servers (In terms of fun..), could be the learning curve as well but, I'm starting to have buyer's remorse (Noooo..)

I'm not ready to put it down yet, I'm still willing to give a chance. OH. I also wanted to know has everyone here DL the Omega Dawn Pack? and is it worth it?

Sea Manky said:
Oh, and I was greeted with racial and homophobic epithets there for the first time in ages too. Yay official servers. :/

It really depends on the day, time, and which way the wind is blowing.

But just put the asshats on mute. You can still voice out to these useless monkeys and bark orders.

Which is what I tend to do.

Although I had the worst fucking Zones game EVER yesterday. Where idiots kept taking the handful of vehicles on our small map, accomplishing nothing, and leaving me to huff it on foot.

The worst part is these asshats are letting the opposing team over run our LONE ZONE as well.

So I just did what you hate, called them all a bunch of worthless fucking shitbags and left the server. :p

I can't capture a zone if I have to walk there amidst a hail of binocular, sniper, tank, warhawk, mines - etc. >:O

I also wanted to know has everyone here DL the Omega Dawn Pack? and is it worth it?

It's one of my favorite maps because it's HUGE! So I really enjoy getting in the air on it. It's not the same sort of hop in a Warhawk and immediately get shot down of a lot of the other maps. >:|

BUT WHY DOES NOBODY KNOW HOW TO EFFECTIVELY USE A DROPSHIP?!

One guy and nobody ever attempts to make a fucking flag run with it while carrying a jeep!

User 406

Banned
There was a guy in a game I played recently, again on a Japanese server, who was using the dropship to great effect by picking up manned tanks and dropping them in contested bases. He had one other guy in the dropship with him to produce enough swarm missiles to keep warhawks off his back. They used it well and made it tough to keep them out of the bases.

Sea Manky said:
There was a guy in a game I played recently, again on a Japanese server, who was using the dropship to great effect by picking up manned tanks and dropping them in contested bases. He had one other guy in the dropship with him to produce enough swarm missiles to keep warhawks off his back. They used it well and made it tough to keep them out of the bases.

We need more of this and less of the I'MMA DOGFIGHTIN IN AIRTANK LULZ.

And I hate it when people ditch a drop ship. The enemy picks it up, grabs health, and asshammers you with TWO dropships. >:O

IDOT!

carlos

Hey guys, sorry for the short notice, but we have another challenge for tomorrow, monday at 10pm edt.

If some of our USA based players can volunteer for it, it would be appreciated (the sooner the better)

So far mintylurb and myself are good to go; please post here or send me an email to confirm your availability.

User 406

Banned
I can do that tomorrow.

Oh, and if you're organizing clan matches, USE THE EMAIL LIST I SENT YOU. Just got a complaint from teepo that he hasn't received a single notification in a while. You'll get more volunteers too. :p

Steroyd

Sea Manky said:
I can do that tomorrow.

Oh, and if you're organizing clan matches, USE THE EMAIL LIST I SENT YOU. Just got a complaint from teepo that he hasn't received a single notification in a while. You'll get more volunteers too. :p

I DIDN'T RECIEVE ANY EMAIL LIST.

carlos

Yeah, I didn't use the email list so that I wouldn't spam our european members that are obviously not playing.

This was more of a half-assed effort to get people, since I was ready to decline the challenge before mintylurb convinced me to give it a shot.

btw, deepbrown's email is needed for the list

Off-topic, beware of using mibbit, I'm pretty sure I got a heck of a virus from it's java applet. (this happens if you haven't updated java to the latest versions).

edit: ps3 freezed again after just a couple of games in mr. pips server; it happened just as time ran out, it just freezed and didn't go to the results screen....It's like everything is conspiring to make me play less....yay?

Ceb

carlos said:
Off-topic, beware of using mibbit, I'm pretty sure I got a heck of a virus from it's java applet. (this happens if you haven't updated java to the latest versions).

Oops... what made you suspect this?

On a whim, I decided to check Sea Manky's stats. Holy shit! You're a machine, man! Every medal, badge, and ribbon, absurd amount of points, and more. I think I'm most impressed by the number of games you've won compared to the ones you've lost. Mine is about even, since a sole person can't change his entire team's fortunes, but I guess you challenge (and discredit) that assumption.

Seriously amazing. Did you honestly receive every Warhawk-level badge legitimately? Some of the requirements seem ridiculous. Nevertheless, thanks for making me feel wholly inadequate at the game. :lol

User 406

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
On a whim, I decided to check Sea Manky's stats. Holy shit! You're a machine, man! Every medal, badge, and ribbon, absurd amount of points, and more. I think I'm most impressed by the number of games you've won compared to the ones you've lost. Mine is about even, since a sole person can't change his entire team's fortunes, but I guess you challenge (and discredit) that assumption.

Seriously amazing. Did you honestly receive every Warhawk-level badge legitimately? Some of the requirements seem ridiculous. Nevertheless, thanks for making me feel wholly inadequate at the game. :lol

Yeah, I did everything legit, no padding. The secret is playing a lot. :p

A lot of the badge/medal requirements seemed impossible to me at first too, but the more you play the more efficient you get. The Bandit 4x4 seems like an insanely difficult badge at first, then when you've had 750 4x4 kills under your belt you're just tooling around, run over a guy here or there, quickly popping into the machine gun to take out an unsuspecting tank or troop, and suddenly 15 kills with one in a round isn't all that difficult.

That's one of the cool things about the badges, they're a great way to gain competence with all the weapons and vehicles in the game. The best way to shoot for them is to not just focus on one at a time, but rather come up with tactics that use a variety of weapons and vehicles to be effective in helping out your team. If you're using a tank to advance and take bases, take a rocket launcher and land mines with you to protect yourself from warhawks and seed bases with mines. If you want to be a real nuisance to the other team and not just a run of the mill turret camper, grab a sniper rifle, binoculars, and a warhawk, and flit around from missile turret to missile turret to follow the main battle as it moves around the map. When your team has the enemy pinned down in their base, that's the time to put air mines over it, and start cluster bombing and TOWing them.

Actually the one really ridiculous requirement for an award is the 5000 air to vehicle kills needed for the Warhawk Air-to-Surface badge. That took forever since ground vehicles are less frequent targets anyway and people will just jump out when they're about to explode. That was the last one I got. :p

things that i've come to realize i suck at in warhawk

attacking ground with warhawk-

i always get rpgs up the ass and when i'm against a hovering hawk i either don't have one or my teammates are doing the run away skit from holy grail.

ctf-
i just don't have enough desire to push a watermelon through a garden hose
especially when those supposedly helping push are still at the fruit stand

bad habit for vengeance against those who kill me-
if i get nicked i tend to go after a single person who got me if i think it's a bs kill

carlos

Ceb said:
Oops... what made you suspect this?

I had checked the pc minutes before it happened and it was all clean; I had only IE7 with mibbit.com running on it when suddenly it tries to print something by itself.

I have no printer attached, so the file stays on documents pending, calling itself something about mibbit.com. Obviously, I delete it, not open it, but still a couple of minutes later I'm getting a weird command.exe error message (among other things).

Sure enough, I check task manager and there's like 8 new processes, all variations of the virtumundo and purityscan trojans. These were fixed with the vundofix and killbox, btw.

Seeing as how it was the only program running, and later reading about the vulnerability of java when it hasn't been updated (like mine), that's why I suspect mibbit.

mintylurb

carlos said:
edit: ps3 freezed again after just a couple of games in mr. pips server; it happened just as time ran out, it just freezed and didn't go to the results screen....It's like everything is conspiring to make me play less....yay?
Since you're crashing often as well, are you also using wireless connection? and what brand of router are you using?

methane47

carlos said:
I had checked the pc minutes before it happened and it was all clean; I had only IE7 with mibbit.com running on it when suddenly it tries to print something by itself.

I have no printer attached, so the file stays on documents pending, calling itself something about mibbit.com. Obviously, I delete it, not open it, but still a couple of minutes later I'm getting a weird command.exe error message (among other things).

Sure enough, I check task manager and there's like 8 new processes, all variations of the virtumundo and purityscan trojans. These were fixed with the vundofix and killbox, btw.

Seeing as how it was the only program running, and later reading about the vulnerability of java when it hasn't been updated (like mine), that's why I suspect mibbit.

Time to get FireFox

carlos

methane47 said:
Time to get FireFox

Haha, yeah, I knew this was coming...

The problem is all the passwords, favorites and cookies already in IE7 that I'd have to look for in firefox. For example, I'm permanently logged in on gamebattles in IE7, but If I'd like to log in in firefox, I have no clue as to what my password is (damn assholes making the password have a number and a capital letter :/

Oh, and my router is a speedtouch780wl (thompson brand), It's the one that was included with the broadband contract.

I've also noticed that the freezing many times is related to the things happening on screen, for example, when I die from dropship fire and the camera spins to a weird perspective after death, or when there's lot's of stuff going on, such as multiple mines exploding while a dropship is shooting and vehicles explode at the same time.

Then again, sometimes I'm just riding a jeep when everything stops (the music keeps playing, but everything is unresponsive)....

edit: no, I haven't tried another router, but I have tried a wired connection to it, and it still gave me the same problems as wireless (and no noticeable improvement on lag, either.

mintylurb

carlos said:
Oh, and my router is a speedtouch780wl (thompson brand), It's the one that was included with the broadband contract.

I've also noticed that the freezing many times is related to the things happening on screen, for example, when I die from dropship fire and the camera spins to a weird perspective after death, or when there's lot's of stuff going on, such as multiple mines exploding while a dropship is shooting and vehicles explode at the same time.

Then again, sometimes I'm just riding a jeep when everything stops (the music keeps playing, but everything is unresponsive)....
Have you tried using a different router? And how about putting your ps3 in the DMZ? If you're using wireless try changing around your wireless channel.

After much tinkering my router's setting, I haven't had a crash in a few days. Well, now I probably jinxed myself..;<

F-Pina

Hey guys.
This probably was already asked but here goes anyway:
I know now where almost all ground mines are and usually grab a few on a regular game. I tend to position them on unusual places and get a lot of zone defenses and kills this way. But is there a mine cap? I mean, can i lay mines indefinitely?
It occurred to me that maybe mines disappear after some time or when i die.

I haven't had the time to be on alert to what happens to old laid mines so maybe the veterans here could tell me.

PS: same goes for air mines.

User 406

Banned
You're limited to laying down four land mines and three air mines. If you drop more, the oldest ones will disappear. One good thing to do after you've laid mines and have picked up some more is to keep an eye on the kill list, and when you see that someone has hit one of your mines, drop another one. Of course, this doesn't account for your mines that get blown up by other means.

F-Pina

This explains a lot :p Now i feel stupid... live and learn.
Oh well, this way makes more sense anyway.

So, best to lay the max amount and forget about it until a little later. No way i can keep a close eye on the mine kills. There should be a way to drop your weapons for a team mate or something, besides killing yourself that is.

Kazenone

My HDMI cable arrived, yaaaaay. I can actually read other players names now:D Base numbers are no longer an issue!!

Playing wowhawk has never felt so good.

ChryZ

Kazenone said:
My HDMI cable arrived, yaaaaay. I can actually read other players names now:D Base numbers are no longer an issue!!

Playing wowhawk has never felt so good.
Welcome to the wonderful world of HD :p

I really wish there was a map layout for Destroyed Capital that inlcuded bridges from the main bases to the central area (kind of like the bridges on Archipelago). Right now, DC isn't included on any official CTF servers, since bases three and five would be your home base and base four would be the only capturable point.

Here's a visual representation of the normal map, in case you can't remember the base numbers. I got this from an earlier post by Steroyd, so I hope you don't mind me posting it.

WarhawkMapDestroyedCapital.png

If bridges were extended from your home base to somewhere around bases three or five, I feel that Incog could add the map into their CTF servers. Right now, I have no idea where anything is on that map, since I hardly ever play on it.

Also, I tried out Pro Flight last night just to check it out. Seems like it would be much easier to keep an enemy in your sights, but I had so much trouble with it that I decided to switch back to normal mode. After a few rolls I loss sense of all direction. It was fun flying upside down, though. :D

methane47

Jack Scofield said:
Right now, DC isn't included on any official CTF servers, since bases three and five would be your home base and base four would be the only capturable point.

Incorrect.. in DC .. North and South towers (2 and 6) are exponentially more important to capture and control than Base 4

methane47 said:
Incorrect.. in DC .. North and South towers (2 and 6) are exponentially more important to capture and control than Base 4

My mistake, then. I figured that they cut off anything that wasn't on the central mainland in CTF games. I figured that having bases 3, 4, 5, and your home bases open would be good for CTF.

Still, doesn't change the fact that I have yet to play CTF on an official server. :mad:

methane47

Jack Scofield said:
My mistake, then. I figured that they cut off anything that wasn't on the central mainland in CTF games. I figured that having bases 3, 4, 5, and your home bases open would be good for CTF.

Still, doesn't change the fact that I have yet to play CTF on an official server. :mad:

Yeah.. I'm not sure how good connecting the Home bases to the towers would be.. since the road would be SOO long... it would be pretty much a deathtrap for anyone who drove there... but especially the flag carrier....

carlos

Hey Jaeyden, my router crapped out on me right after the end of that first game; by the time I got connected again, the game was full...

This has been the most horrible night for playing, ever! every single server I entered after the router malfunction, I was outnumbered 7-1 0r 8-2 in the air. No exaggeration there; I tried nearly 10 servers, and completed the games in progress just to see if it would change after it was over, but no...

same shit over and over again I couldn't get a close match, not even close...I have never been so frustrated with this game >.< (edit: well, the frustration is more with the idiots playing, I guess)

Sybari

Neo Member
The Take Out Bandit said:
Hey, we've had rare sightings of women in Warhawk playing. Why not some female Chernovan / Eucadian soldier DLC?

Agreed. I don't particularly want to stare at a ripped, muscular rear shaking at me as I fearlessly charge into battle. Give me some curves to taunt the enemy with please.

Jaeyden

carlos said:
Hey Jaeyden, my router crapped out on me right after the end of that first game; by the time I got connected again, the game was full...

This has been the most horrible night for playing, ever! every single server I entered after the router malfunction, I was outnumbered 7-1 0r 8-2 in the air. No exaggeration there; I tried nearly 10 servers, and completed the games in progress just to see if it would change after it was over, but no...

same shit over and over again I couldn't get a close match, not even close...I have never been so frustrated with this game >.< (edit: well, the frustration is more with the idiots playing, I guess)

Holy shit. Me too, I was so frustrated yesterday. I'm getting burned out on 1.2...fun balanced games are becoming a rarity. 1.3 can't come soon enough. Sigh.

carlos

Sybari said:
Agreed. I don't particularly want to stare at a ripped, muscular rear shaking at me as I fearlessly charge into battle. Give me some curves to taunt the enemy with please.

Ha, I think I'd hesitate when it's time to shoot at curvy soldiers ;)

deepbrown

Jaeyden said:
Holy shit. Me too, I was so frustrated yesterday. I'm getting burned out on 1.2...fun balanced games are becoming a rarity. 1.3 can't come soon enough. Sigh.
Well join me tonight and we'll show em what we got :)

Top Bottom