• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Can't wait for the update and Operation Broken Mirror. Warhawk is one of the only games where I don't feel like a complete tool for buying their downloadable content. Hats off to Incognito, a severely underappreciated developer.

methane47

Jack Scofield said:
Can't wait for the update and Operation Broken Mirror. Warhawk is one of the only games where I don't feel like a complete tool for buying their downloadable content. Hats off to Incognito, a severely underappreciated developer.

I dont know man... I've spent about $75 in warhawk so far...

its a great game.. but Man... spending another 10 bucks for OBM is gonna make me a sad panda

icechai

Jaeyden said:
48 bucks - 450 hours - I'll gladly give em 8 more

yeah seriously, there has not been a game since CS that I've been hooked on like this. As long as they keep supporting it and expanding its life I'll support them :)

ChryZ

methane47 said:
its a great game.. but Man... spending another 10 bucks for OBM is gonna make me a sad panda
I can't believe you feel that way. Show some appreciation. Warhawk is one of the few games with DLC done right and there is so much free service, like patches and 200+ official dedicated servers.

Thrakier

icechai said:
and sometimes no matter how good you are, the other team just has overall better players and there's only so much you can do when they have taken every single base. Like today's games with Sea Manky, some games were even, some were just ridiculous. Although I have to say its quite brave/amazing of you to survive for a bit and get a kill when 5 warhawks are on your tail :p

Yeah, had a zone match and blue got every zone except of the starting zone of the red team...but it was still the beginning like 2000 points to go for blue. I started for red... :( You can imagine what happend, it was like a frag-hunt for the blue team. They had two tanks in our base, warhawks in the air and and and...it was a pain in the ass. I had 1 to 11 or something like that and I had NO chance. I wasn't able to pick up a better weapon before I died...

User 406

Banned
I bought one of the $499 units at launch, and Warhawk has been the only game I've bought for it. I also bought Omega Dawn, and got two extra controllers on sale for $20 each when my first started wearing out. At this point, the entertainment I've gotten out of it has cost me less than a dollar per hour, which is approaching the cheapness of buying books to read.

Best value for money ever.

DireStr8s

Sea Manky said:
I bought one of the $499 units at launch, and Warhawk has been the only game I've bought for it. I also bought Omega Dawn, and got two extra controllers on sale for $20 each when my first started wearing out. At this point, the entertainment I've gotten out of it has cost me less than a dollar per hour, which is approaching the cheapness of buying books to read.

Best value for money ever.

Was Warhawk on your radar when you bought a launch unit? I mean, did you just know this was going to be YOUR game & thats why you bought a PS3?

methane47

ChryZ said:
I can't believe you feel that way. Show some appreciation. Warhawk is one of the few games with DLC done right and there is so much free service, like patches and 200+ official dedicated servers.

Well.. I'm staunchly opposed to DLC :( ... Warhawk in fact is the only game EVER than I have bought an expansion or DLC for. EVER.

deepbrown

najkdaabd.jpg

User 406

Banned
nickslicl said:
Was Warhawk on your radar when you bought a launch unit? I mean, did you just know this was going to be YOUR game & thats why you bought a PS3?

It wasn't just on my radar, it was a total lock for purchase the instant it was announced, well before the PSX3 even came out. I've always been a big fan of Incognito's work, from the original Twisted Metal and Warhawk on the PSX onwards. The only game they've made that I didn't care for was Downhill Domination. Add to that the facts that I love good air combat games and that they are few and far between, and Warhawk was the game I was most looking forward to.

What I didn't expect was that Warhawk would be THIS good. :X I have a very broad range of tastes in games, so I'm typically not the kind of person that makes TEN BEST GAMES EVAR lists and whatnot. However, I really do think Warhawk might just be my favorite game of all time. It just suits me perfectly. I've never been this good at a competitive game before either.

As for why I bought the PSX3 at launch, well, I was a very satisfied customer of the last two, and there were originally several games I was interested in at launch. However pretty much all of them save Armored Core 4 got pushed back, so I decided to go ahead and sell my preordered unit and buy the system again later. Turns out the demand wasn't high enough to make much, so I just kept it, knowing that it would have games I wanted down the line. Oh, and checking out the AC4 demo, it turns out I didn't like a lot of the changes to the game, especially the way they dumbed down boosting and energy management. :/

It was also around that time that I decided that I'd take the plunge into cheapass gaming, and wait to purchase games until they were under $20, except for Warhawk, which as an online competitive game would be helpful as a time sink. Then around last December I saw a copy of Oblivion for $18 at a local used store, and decided on the spot that since I was still playing Warhawk so much, I'd just revise that rule down to $10. :p Gotta say, Warhawk has made converting my former BUY EVERYTHING I WANT TO PLAY NOW self to a cheapass much easier. XD

icechai

methane47 said:
Well.. I'm staunchly opposed to DLC :( ... Warhawk in fact is the only game EVER than I have bought an expansion or DLC for. EVER.

I don't think console devs will ever go the PC route of free maps consistently, so its pretty understandable that they charge for maps (although hopefully this will start to change with greater userbase, like Burnout's upcoming DLC). What's nice about the Warhawk devs is the free patches aren't just your standard bug fixes, they change the gameplay, and the new one even adds weapons.

Paying for an "expansion" which adds a map and a vehicle seems like a pretty good deal. Then again I buy Rock Band DLC so there you go :p

icechai said:
I don't think console devs will ever go the PC route of free maps consistently, so its pretty understandable that they charge for maps (although hopefully this will start to change with greater userbase, like Burnout's upcoming DLC). What's nice about the Warhawk devs is the free patches aren't just your standard bug fixes, they change the gameplay, and the new one even adds weapons.

Paying for an "expansion" which adds a map and a vehicle seems like a pretty good deal. Then again I buy Rock Band DLC so there you go :p

Mind if I send a FR?

carlos

Typical network error in that archipielago ctf for me; now I can't get back in...

Oh, and as for whoever complained of me always going after the mines, that's the only way to play when you're that badly outnumbered in the skies; not only may I get an occasional kill, but at the same time, I take them out of your hands.

The one time I went after manky with homing missles, I ran into 4 of his buddies up there and had to gtfo of there.

I'll probably be in official servers for a while longer, seeing as how mr pips isn't up (nor any other one of my regular servers)

edit: nevermind, some space opened up while I was typing this

Jaeyden

carlos said:
Oh, and as for whoever complained of me always going after the mines, that's the only way to play when you're that badly outnumbered in the skies; not only may I get an occasional kill, but at the same time, I take them out of your hands.

Amen brother. I will gladly accept the title of "mine whore" any day. I want protection from the front and the back at all times too.

Besides the one game that I got Manky on my team, no one was talking at all today...sigh, it just seemed like no one on my team was even trying to play. Guess that's why I mostly just stayed in the air and dogfighted (...is that a word?...dogfought?) :lol

User 406

Banned
That's a nice vid, does a great job of showing basic dodging technique. Once you have that down you can apply the principles while sticking to whatever flight path you want.

Jack, proflight is a lot closer to how a real aircraft controls, so I'd recommend you do learn it if for no other reason than to be better prepared for other flight combat games. Also, you can dodge turret missiles in proflight. :D

What you need to get the hang of is the idea that your main method of turning the plane is to roll the body, then pitch in the direction you want to go. So turning is not a left/right proposition, but an up/down one, and you roll the plane so that up and down are now aligned along your intended flight path.

I can elaborate further if needed.

Jaeyden

Jack Scofield said:
I couldn't get the hang of Pro-Flight when I tried it. I just ended up running into the ground or mountains and lost all sense of direction. Would you guys recommend me trying it again? I feel perfectly fine using normal flight, but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

I have something for you to try. I'll have to show you in game sometime though. As it's a secret...(wink).

icechai

Jack Scofield said:
I couldn't get the hang of Pro-Flight when I tried it. I just ended up running into the ground or mountains and lost all sense of direction. Would you guys recommend me trying it again? I feel perfectly fine using normal flight, but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

yeah it's a bit hard in the beginning but it definitely gives you a huge advantage in terms of dodging/chasing in the air. Just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it!

carlos

nice video there, perhaps I should try pro flight....

anyway, I ran into the remerone guy from clan GI, the guy is great in the sky (he never lands/captures bases/etc.). I swear, i could drop a homing missle right on his cockpit and it still wouldn't hit him.

not to mention he always had invisibility when he was being followed; perhaps most impressive of all was his air to air TOW ability, he got me twice, while I was invisible and moving erratically towards him, you couldn't even see it coming.

I'm curious to know how much of that was caused by lag (he had a ping of 45 while I was up near 200), but there's no doubt that the guy is extremely talented at avoiding missles. He didn't take any risks either, he rarely left his team's side of the map; where's the fun in that? ;)

Huggers

onadesertedisland said:
its hard to dodge missiles when you fire them right

don't launch until you're up their ass. they can twist and turn but it's too late

Thats all well and good until the Warhawk you're chasing shits out a mine

DireStr8s

burnfout said:
don't give away your/our tactics Mankey!

And that would be be a completly understandable reason not to do it. Not to mention it would prob. be a total pain in the ass. It would just be nice if I could watch them too. Yes, pure selfishness :)

User 406

Banned
We have tactics? :X

At any rate, my video torrents are still running, so anyone who hasn't got them still can. I'm not putting up direct links because they're way too big and this is my home machine, at least with torrents I have some control over the load. If someone else wants to rehost them, I have no objections.

http://seamanky.strangled.net/~ataru/GAFvs71.torrent
http://seamanky.strangled.net/~ataru/GAFvsBSK1.torrent
http://seamanky.strangled.net/~ataru/GAFvsBXA1.torrent
http://seamanky.strangled.net/~ataru/GAFvsFGC1.torrent
http://seamanky.strangled.net/~ataru/GAFvsLOD.torrent
http://seamanky.strangled.net/~ataru/GAFvsMVP.torrent
http://seamanky.strangled.net/~ataru/warhawk_all-star_game.torrent

Oh, and if you've downloaded them, SEED.

Huggers

Sea Mankey, you seem like a man in the know. Whats the deal with the clan, who set it up? i.e who should i nag for an invite?

icechai

onadesertedisland said:
its hard to dodge missiles when you fire them right

don't launch until you're up their ass. they can twist and turn but it's too late

that's why you have boost :p normally i dont use boost to dodge missles unless i see a warhawk on my tail in the map. You just KNOW right when machine gun fires they're going to boost and fire missle, so you boost and dodge :D

anyone have tips on air to air TOWing? I've gotten hit by a few but haven't really landed one yet, is it just exploding it right in front of them?

Kazenone

mintylurb said:
you should nag our dear leader, Steroyd, for an invite.

Isn't it your job to nag minty? :D

I got my Master Teamwork Badge earlier today. Playing some epic awesome Eucadia CTF and captured the flag twice. It's so intense zooming down that entire map with wind in your face and turret fire up yer ass (not literally because that would kinda suck).

Good times, good times.

ChryZ

icechai said:
anyone have tips on air to air TOWing? I've gotten hit by a few but haven't really landed one yet, is it just exploding it right in front of them?
The splash radius/sphere is pretty big ... so no need to land it.

Nice training video.

I've been doing it wrong all this time. >:|

Unfortunately his juvenile comments can go fuck themselves. Bitching about stuff in "the real world" then using two Warhawks like shovels to scoop up the flag carrier's jeep?

REALISTIC! >:O

icechai

The Take Out Bandit said:
Nice training video.

I've been doing it wrong all this time. >:|

Unfortunately his juvenile comments can go fuck themselves. Bitching about stuff in "the real world" then using two Warhawks like shovels to scoop up the flag carrier's jeep?

REALISTIC! >:O

there really isn't a wrong way to do it if you're dodging missles right. You can also pitch up/down to avoid missles, but side to side usually makes it easier to keep your targets in your sight so you can finish locking on those missles before you pitch and run away.

Jeez, this game was trying to frustrate me. In all the games I joined, I was placed on the team with no bases. To top it off, I was greeted by a "Network Error" shortly after my team finally started gaining traction.

I need some time to cool down.

methane47

Just tried out the missle dodging techniques... And they work REALLY well... Before I would MAYBE be able to shake 8 swarmers... using the wave style with the Boosting and curving... Now...(It very well might be cuz I was playing people that sucked) But unless you are up my butt... or coming at me head on... I can dodge almost all missles.. without even touching the boost...

Now I can save my boosts for attacking.. :D

Thank you to who ever made that vid

deepbrown

Jaeyden and me had a good run....just us. Neither of us died when we were trying to kill each other. Was fun. I dodged a few, and we kept getting hit a bit, but we just wouldn't die! lol I'm proud because Jaeyden was my best WH player *tear* and he's all grown up now

:lol

deepbrown

Kazenone said:
Isn't it your job to nag minty? :D

I got my Master Teamwork Badge earlier today. Playing some epic awesome Eucadia CTF and captured the flag twice. It's so intense zooming down that entire map with wind in your face and turret fire up yer ass (not literally because that would kinda suck).

Good times, good times.
Wind in your face? Fire up your ass? Sounds like you've been in a curry house...

ChryZ

deepbrown said:
Jaeyden and me had a good run....just us. Neither of us died when we were trying to kill each other. Was fun. I dodged a few, and we kept getting hit a bit, but we just wouldn't die! lol I'm proud because Jaeyden was my best WH player *tear* and he's all grown up now
Stop mocking him ... anyone is entitled to have a bad day ;)

deepbrown

ChryZ said:
Stop mocking him ... anyone is entitled to have a bad day ;)
No my point was - we were both having a good day :p We were both really good in our short little Warhawk funness, before we got bored and he showed off his special launching trick.

Kazenone

deepbrown said:
Wind in your face? Fire up your ass? Sounds like you've been in a curry house...

That'd explain those stains on my shirt...

When is our next clan match? I'm itching to play again, especially with some gaffers! I haven't played with some of you yet. So i'm free for 2 weeks, everyday (except this weekend..) since i'm on holiday.

Just torrented to GAFvsMVP1 (and seeding). Manky you sound totally different to how I hear you on the Jabra headset.

Top Bottom