• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

User 406

Banned
Well, I don't use the voice changers if that's what you're wondering. :p

Some funny stories from yesterday:

Joined a game at the tail end of a dogfight match on the winning team, next game was zones on Island Outpost. We start off strong, and take the whole battlefield in a few minutes, including shrinking their home base and growing the nearby ones to 3. So I'm getting mines and stuff to go pin them down and keep them from escaping, when I hear over the headset: "This is your captain speaking, everyone return to home base!" I go put air mines over their warhawks. "We won't get any points this way, everyone pull back past the bridges!" I land and start putting land mines on their warhawks. "Hey, Monkey-see, Monkey-do, getcher ass back over here!" I ignore him. Then I get kicked. XD

Fuckin' padders.

I joined an Archipelago CTF game, we were down by 1 but had all the bases. So I start on offense, get the flag, and escape. While I'm driving my jeep, one of my own teammates in a warhawk tries to ineffectually strafe me. Then he tries rolling my jeep over. He manages to turn me over right as I'm at home base, so I hop out and kill him with my flamethrower as he's trying to push me around. Felt good. I think he left after that. :)

Yet another CTF game, Badlands, and this time we had some comedian who liked to take a jeep and try to block the flag carrier. He tried to block me once, then did it to a couple other flag carriers. So when our guys got the flag, I'd go roll his jeep with my warhawk to give the carrier time to escape. I asked him why the hell he was doing that, and he said, "Cuz it's funny, huh huh" :|

Then there was a Destroyed Capitol CTF with about nine guys on each side. I'm on blue with a bunch of random guys, and on the red team are about six guys with the same clan tag. Uh oh!

We totally ran a train on them and won 8 flags to 0 or something. Guess they need even more practice than us. :X

Edit: Oh, and I forgot about one from the day before. Badlands TDM. My team was choked with annoying kids. "SEA MANKY STOLE MY KILL!" "SEA MANKY TOOK MY TOW MISSILE!" "HEY SEA MANKY ADD ME!" <- This from a known stat padder with General rank. Left immediately after the game. Fuckin' kids.

Jaeyden

I switched teams yesterday to help the poor outnumbered fellas on the other side, only to be greeted by some kid with Tourette's. So annoying, when you switch to help balance the game then you find out WHY it's so unbalanced. Is that why you left ChryZ? I can't wait for mute <- very underrated feature.

Oh P.S. deepbrown, do you have your voice changer turned on? It sounded like a cassette tape was melting everytime you spoke yesterday.

deepbrown

Jaeyden said:
I switched teams yesterday to help the poor outnumbered fellas on the other side, only to be greeted by some kid with Tourette's. So annoying, when you switch to help balance the game then you find out WHY it's so unbalanced. Is that why you left ChryZ? I can't wait for mute <- very underrated feature.

Oh P.S. deepbrown, do you have your voice changer turned on? It sounded like a cassette tape was melting everytime you spoke yesterday.
Lol really? Shit. I had it on at one point....just for shits and giggles. But I'm sure I turned it off! I am ill at the mooment, so my voice is kinda low and mangled :lol

You can mute people Jaeyden...lol Didn't you know? What we actually need is groups we can join for talk....eg. Resistance. In fact make it all like Resistance lol

deepbrown

Dylan Jobe said:
So while I can’t say too much, I can say that the team is hard at work on developing some new game modes.

We have a lot of new designs at various phases of development so I can’t say which ones will make the cut for the v 1.4 patch just yet…but rest assure that the next patch *will* have new modes, and of course, they will be free.

:O

Jaeyden

How? I thought the mute feature was coming in 1.3.

The Resistance multiplayer functions is the standard that every PS3 online game should live up .

deepbrown

Jaeyden said:
How? I thought the mute feature was coming in 1.3.

The Resistance multiplayer functions is the standard that every PS3 online game should live up .
I'm sure I've muted people. I'm sure of it. SURE.

(I can't remember now :lol )

User 406

Banned
Muting people has been in since day 1, but a lot of people don't seem to know about it. Just go to the Sound menu, then Voice Control, then you can individually mute people, or just mute them all.

What's being added in 1.3 regarding voice muting is the ability to do this directly from the score list. Also, people who are talking will be highlighted, both in the score list and on the right side of the screen during the game, so it will be easier to see who's being a jackass. :p

Jaeyden

Sea Manky said:
Muting people has been in since day 1, but a lot of people don't seem to know about it. Just go to the Sound menu, then Voice Control, then you can individually mute people, or just mute them all. :p

You da man. Now when I start to feel like I'm on Xbox live I can get back to the Ol' PSN we all love...you know, the one where no one talks at all. :lol

Sea Manky said:
I've never been this good at a competitive game before either.

oa9e1y.jpg

DO NOT BELIEVE HIS LIES!

methane47

deepbrown said:
No my point was - we were both having a good day :p We were both really good in our short little Warhawk funness, before we got bored and he showed off his special launching trick.

Special launching trick?

Jaeyden

methane47 said:
Special launching trick?

O.K. so check this out.

I found a way to make your Warhawk fly "differently". I'm not quite sure how to explain it but if you are accustomed to normal flight then try this and tell me what you think.

Walk up to a WH and hold down L2 (hold L2 through this whole process). Press square to get in the WH. Once in the WH press triangle and immediately double tap and hold R2 and hold your left analog completely to the left or right. If you do it correctly you will take off immediately into an afterburn and your plane should be banking slightly whatever direction you are pressing. Hold it for the full duration of the burn until the afterburn ends and now you are in a powerslide. Now you can let go and fly how you normally do.

Like I said, I'm not sure how to explain it, but it feels like the controls "tighten up" and the Warhawk holds the aiming reticle on targets differently, like it doesn't seem to want to recenter itself as quickly. It also feels to me like it under exaggerates movement on the left analog so you can fly more stable at different angles, and you don't seem to wobble as much when you go into hover during rapid flight manouvers. If you are a normal flight guy, try it out and tell me if you think that something is different or tell me I'm fucking crazy and that it's all in my head. All I can say is that the first time I noticed it was on destroyed capitol and I went 26-0 in the WH...it was the last match I ever played on LvL 2 servers, cause I ranked up right after it. I didn't notice it again until a few weeks ago when I jumped into WH in haste and it did that funny bug where you instantly launch off in a full afterburn and run into a wall or something cause you can't turn the plane. After that my plane was flying like the "magical" DC match I just mentioned. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you'll hate, maybe you'll think I'm nuts but with nearly 300 hours in a Warhawk, I swear that something is going on. Normal flight only.

deepbrown

Sea Manky said:
Muting people has been in since day 1, but a lot of people don't seem to know about it. Just go to the Sound menu, then Voice Control, then you can individually mute people, or just mute them all.

What's being added in 1.3 regarding voice muting is the ability to do this directly from the score list. Also, people who are talking will be highlighted, both in the score list and on the right side of the screen during the game, so it will be easier to see who's being a jackass. :p
I knew it because I'd done it before!!! Cheers manks

Wheeee!

Just tried to join in with icechai and the server was so-so, but the last CTF game was hella fun. For the first 20 minutes I was just doing lots of control point grabbing and being a nuisance to the enemy.

In the last 10 minutes I started making flag runs. I parked my ass in the enemy base, and waited by that missile turret in the home base of Badlands. Waited until a bunch of my people were in the area and then made a run for the flag. w00000t!

Was getting my ass shot off, but since we controlled most of the map I was able to hit the vehicle repairs, and got some aggro Warhawk douche playing the role of a shovel on my jacked up jeep. So since he wanted to be grounded so bad I bailed out and grenaded his bitch monkey ass! :D Then the Chernovan drop ship rounded the bend and started shooting at my ass. So I ran for cover and hit a health power up and waited while my team laid down some AA fire taking out the dropship and made a run for it again when some dude on my team pulls up in a jeep and we high tailed it back to base.

Kee kee kee!

icechai

The Take Out Bandit said:
Wheeee!

Just tried to join in with icechai and the server was so-so, but the last CTF game was hella fun. For the first 20 minutes I was just doing lots of control point grabbing and being a nuisance to the enemy.

In the last 10 minutes I started making flag runs. I parked my ass in the enemy base, and waited by that missile turret in the home base of Badlands. Waited until a bunch of my people were in the area and then made a run for the flag. w00000t!

Was getting my ass shot off, but since we controlled most of the map I was able to hit the vehicle repairs, and got some aggro Warhawk douche playing the role of a shovel on my jacked up jeep. So since he wanted to be grounded so bad I bailed out and grenaded his bitch monkey ass! :D Then the Chernovan drop ship rounded the bend and started shooting at my ass. So I ran for cover and hit a health power up and waited while my team laid down some AA fire taking out the dropship and made a run for it again when some dude on my team pulls up in a jeep and we high tailed it back to base.

Kee kee kee!

wow nice job staying alive. Wasn't in the game by that time cuz I had to eat dinner :p When I was playing in the couple of ctfs the teams were really evenly matched, both teams had half the base, good pilots on both teams and a couple deep flag runs by either team, only to be thwarted by pilots, tows, and good defense. With 10 min left I just got annoyed by one of the enemy pilots who never left his warhawk and just got lots of kills against our teamso I just gunned for him everytime. Hard to focus on our pilots when he has a homing up his ass all the time. >:).

Topher said:
Newbie here. Next time you guys create a dedicated game. I might join to learn the ropes. They REALLY need a tutorial.

Playing by yourself in a local game helps. It gives you time to read the on-screen prompts and you'll be free to wander around the map and discover weapon spawns. Use this time to practice flying Warhawks, as well.

Was getting my ass shot off, but since we controlled most of the map I was able to hit the vehicle repairs, and got some aggro Warhawk douche playing the role of a shovel on my jacked up jeep.

How exactly does someone use a Warhawk like a shovel? I've heard people say this, but I never understood what they meant. Do they mean blocking jeeps by landing directly in front of them? That's the strategy I use.

Vbeen learning the ropes for this game and been semi decent. Best game today was 17 kills and 7 deaths, mainly with the Tank. I bought the expansion and its WELL worth it, will pick up the next for sure. The dropship is badass and if its one thing I like doing its driving drop ships in any game. Cant wait to try the APC out. Still learning the Warhawk and been doing ok in it. Sometimes it seems I unload a hell of alot of stuff into someone and they dont scratch then they do barely any to me and i blow up in seconds. Just got to learn I guess lol. Loving everything about this game. Ive added a few of you to my list so expect some adds from me guys. And I would try out for the clan and stuff but my work schedule is stupid and prolly will interfere so Ill be on mainly when im up in the morning or after work at night. And of course on my days off :D

Jack Scofield said:
Playing by yourself in a local game helps. It gives you time to read the on-screen prompts and you'll be free to wander around the map and discover weapon spawns. Use this time to practice flying Warhawks, as well.

How exactly does someone use a Warhawk like a shovel? I've heard people say this, but I never understood what they meant. Do they mean blocking jeeps by landing directly in front of them? That's the strategy I use.

They fly directly into your vehicle scooping you up, flipping you over, or generally being a nuisance.

Incognito just needs to implement something where Warhawks take massive damage from PHYSICAL CONTACT with ground based vehicles. :/

icechai

Jack Scofield said:

scooping it up involves a warhawk going into hover mode and flying forward into a jeep, which flips them over if angled correctly. Some people like carlos can change from that into a hard boost which sends the jeep flying... haven't really figured out how to do that, any tips guys? :p

ChryZ

Jaeyden said:
I switched teams yesterday to help the poor outnumbered fellas on the other side, only to be greeted by some kid with Tourette's. So annoying, when you switch to help balance the game then you find out WHY it's so unbalanced. Is that why you left ChryZ?
That team was absolutely hopeless, I'm done with fighting lost causes ~_~

They fly directly into your vehicle scooping you up, flipping you over, or generally being a nuisance.

Incognito just needs to implement something where Warhawks take massive damage from PHYSICAL CONTACT with ground based vehicles. :/
egg salad.

if you get a 1/3 damage from hitting a radar antenna, hitting a tank should be like 2/3 damage.

Thrakier

Ok, I think it's official now, I suck in Warhawks. I'm only playing level 2 but I don't have a chance. Sometimes I get one but it's like 1 to 5. I can dodge missiles (watched the youtube videos) and it works in 50%, but that doesn't help because they always get behind my back and sooner or later they get me.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Tried some local games for a shortwhile last night and you were right. Two more questions remain.

- How do you lock on to another Warhawk?
- How doyou speak during the game?

Jaeyden

Topher said:
Tried some local games for a shortwhile last night and you were right. Two more questions remain.

- How do you lock on to another Warhawk?Hold down L1
- How doyou speak during the game?Hold down L3

:D

Speevy

Banned
I asked this in the other thread but I thought I'd try it here too.

In HDMI Limited mode, my TV displays Warhawk just fine but in really dark places I see distracting layers. HDMI Full fixes this but darkens many scenes to the point that in really dark scenes, you can barely see anything, and according to the numbers test I took my TV doesn't support it. Which should I leave it on?

onadesertedisland said:
egg salad.

if you get a 1/3 damage from hitting a radar antenna, hitting a tank should be like 2/3 damage.

That would be fine, but I'd say 2/3rd for any ground based vehicle as folks are abusing Incognito's concession to morons who can't fly (myself) and smack into mountains (myself) to throw the game balance out of whack.

Honestly. I don't mind getting pinned down by Warhawk fire, but I do find it extremely annoying that the game mechanic that doesn't penalize you for being a moron in a Warhawk is now being abused as a strategy to stop flag carriers. :\

The game has been out long enough, open the penalty gates! :D

deepbrown

That would be fine, but I'd say 2/3rd for any ground based vehicle as folks are abusing Incognito's concession to morons who can't fly (myself) and smack into mountains (myself) to throw the game balance out of whack.

Honestly. I don't mind getting pinned down by Warhawk fire, but I do find it extremely annoying that the game mechanic that doesn't penalize you for being a moron in a Warhawk is now being abused as a strategy to stop flag carriers. :\

The game has been out long enough, open the penalty gates! :D
I don't think so. I think that's a great tactic - otherwise you'll never catch a jeep in a warhawk.

icechai

deepbrown said:
I don't think so. I think that's a great tactic - otherwise you'll never catch a jeep in a warhawk.

following it with machine gun fire in hover can kill it without missles before the next health pickup. TOWs, well timed cluster bombs, and well aimed homing missle + machine gun fire also do the job nicely. However rolling a jeep over is usually the safest bet as that gives teammates who can't chase them good opportunity to tag team.

Jaeyden

Speevy said:
I asked this in the other thread but I thought I'd try it here too.

In HDMI Limited mode, my TV displays Warhawk just fine but in really dark places I see distracting layers. HDMI Full fixes this but darkens many scenes to the point that in really dark scenes, you can barely see anything, and according to the numbers test I took my TV doesn't support it. Which should I leave it on?

Change the brightness setting in the first options menu, me thinks. Leave it on full RGB. Before you go online the video options menu lets you adjust the in game brightness.

deepbrown said:

It's a bullcrap "tactic". It's exploiting the design of the game which does not penalize your monkey ass for crashing into the ground.

If you can't catch a jeep in a Warhawk you need some remedial flight lessons. You can overtake any ground vehicle in a Warhawk, which is why folks are dominating exclusively in Warhawks these days.

deepbrown

It's a bullcrap "tactic". It's exploiting the design of the game which does not penalize your monkey ass for crashing into the ground.

If you can't catch a jeep in a Warhawk you need some remedial flight lessons. You can overtake any ground vehicle in a Warhawk, which is why folks are dominating exclusively in Warhawks these days.
SH you. It's not expliting. It's commen sense - and it's the best tactic. You don't crash into the ground. You stop in front of the jeep so it can't pass.

deepbrown said:
SH you. It's not expliting. It's commen sense - and it's the best tactic. You don't crash into the ground. You stop in front of the jeep so it can't pass.

Just make with the STFU already please.

People are NOT stopping in front of ground vehicles, they're ramming them from the air. In some instances I've seen Warhawks flip jeeps off of bridges or over mountains.

If you took severe damage or outright died as you should from CRASHING YOUR PLANE INTO THE GROUND then it wouldn't be an issue.

Stop rationalizing it. It's abusing the game engine plain and simple.

methane47

People are NOT stopping in front of ground vehicles, they're ramming them from the air. In some instances I've seen Warhawks flip jeeps off of bridges or over mountains.

If you took severe damage or outright died as you should from CRASHING YOUR PLANE INTO THE GROUND then it wouldn't be an issue.

its a GAME TTOB... if they were really going for realism... then the Jeep would be out of service with just one missle or just a couple bullets from a warhawk...... I understand your pain man... It sucks when a warhawk rams into your jeep when you think you're about to get away... But Everything is done to preserve the delicate balance of the game.. Leave it alone man...

I would actually love it if you ram into something in a warhawk both the thing and the warhawk are blown up... I remember some amazing kamakazi helicopter runs in BF2 that made me proud... But this game isn't meant to be realistic. Plain and simple... its just not.

methane47 said:
I would actually love it if you ram into something in a warhawk both the thing and the warhawk are blown up... I remember some amazing kamakazi helicopter runs in BF2 that made me proud... But this game isn't meant to be realistic. Plain and simple... its just not.

I realize that, which is why I'm suggesting they scale the damage received from crashing into a ground based vehicle with a Warhawk. Smack into building, mountains, the ground all you like. But be an outright douche in a Warhawk and you get penalized.

I'm not asking for realism. I realize Warhawk isn't realistic, but the tactics that have evolved over the course of the game are really beginning to break the game for me. :\

And I'm not at all excited about snow because I doubt it will be of the Motorstorm variety of interactive environmental effects. But if we can leave footprints and tire tracks, awesome!

deepbrown

DO you know what's more annoying. Somebody towing you when you have the flag. What's not annoying is them flipping you. Because you can get out and smoke their ass.

deepbrown said:
DO you know what's more annoying. Somebody towing you when you have the flag. What's not annoying is them flipping you. Because you can get out and smoke their ass.

Not when there's a squadron playing pile on. You're not going to win this debate.

I'll take a WEAPON which SHOULD INJURE ME over some bullcrap abuse of the namby-pamby game engine. This is the Warhawk equivalent of the game breaking infinite combos of Marvel Vs. Capcom.

Looks like the APC has some sort of boost attack. This makes me happy, and I hope it's severe enough to rend Warhawks that dare oppose your ground movement in two. >:D

Ceb

I can't think of any reason why boosting hard into a jeep shouldn't damage a warhawk. You'd still be able to flip it, but at a cost. What's bad about that?

deepbrown

I realize that, which is why I'm suggesting they scale the damage received from crashing into a ground based vehicle with a Warhawk. Smack into building, mountains, the ground all you like. But be an outright douche in a Warhawk and you get penalized.

I'm not asking for realism. I realize Warhawk isn't realistic, but the tactics that have evolved over the course of the game are really beginning to break the game for me. :\

And I'm not at all excited about snow because I doubt it will be of the Motorstorm variety of interactive environmental effects. But if we can leave footprints and tire tracks, awesome!
Someones in a mood. :p

icechai

Ceb said:
I can't think of any reason why boosting hard into a jeep shouldn't damage a warhawk. You'd still be able to flip it, but at a cost. What's bad about that?

don't you get damaged for boosting into a jeep as well? What people are doing are hovering and using the forward momentum to get under the jeep and flip it, totally different than boosting into it (as that requires a lot more skill.) And jeeps get by fine without a tiny boost, CTFs all seem to work well, and for OD its even easier if you're coordinated to get out of the base and get the flag into the middle of the field.

Top Bottom