• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

methane47

The Take Out Bandit said:
And I'm not at all excited about snow because I doubt it will be of the Motorstorm variety of interactive environmental effects. But if we can leave footprints and tire tracks, awesome!

I agree. I'm not that excited for the snow stage either... I would much rather just a large volcano.... winding roads that go up and down the volcano.. With a large base at the edge ofthe crater.......

deepbrown

methane47 said:
I agree. I'm not that excited for the snow stage either... I would much rather just a large volcano.... winding roads that go up and down the volcano.. With a large base at the edge ofthe crater.......
Meh.

Snow level looks cool. Looks smaller than OD - which is a GOOD thing.

Jaeyden

deepbrown said:
Meh.

Snow level looks cool. Looks smaller than OD - which is a GOOD thing.

Although it is not...ZOMG.

Check it out
The map is not super huge is it? Can you give us a size comparison to any of the other maps maybe?

Dylan Jobe replied on March 23, 2008 at 9:34 am

that is a very good question cause I know that we got a lot of feedback from Omega Dawn that its layouts were too big!
So first off, let me say that yes, the new battlefield is very large. In fact, it is bigger than Omega Dawn — But Wait !!!
This was done very intentionally so that we could provide more, variety with the layouts in this new Booster-Pack than any other previously released level.
There are way more small layouts and medium sized layouts — including some asymetrical ones.
There are 10 layouts in the new battlefield so you guys will have more control over the games your setting up.
We were very aware that we needed to give you smaller layouts with this booster pack so hopefully you’re happy with the increased variety of small to medium layouts.

Kazenone said:
As long as their is footprints and tiretracks in the snow, as TTOB mentioned - then i'm happy with the snow level whatever:D

That would be cool, but I expect the only effect will be kicking up snow when you drive. And by "snow," I mean white dust.

Jaeyden

Thrakier said:
Does the game count kills and deaths even if you get disconnected while playing?

Hmmm...I thought you had to finish the match in order for your stats to record. I get messages all the time, but seldom will leave the match unless it's really important cause I don't wanna lose my points. I'd like to know a definitive on this one too.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
For some reason, it seems as though everyone can lock on faster than I can. Not only that but I'm shot down right before I get a chance to launch my missiles every time.

icechai

Topher said:
For some reason, it seems as though everyone can lock on faster than I can. Not only that but I'm shot down right before I get a chance to launch my missiles every time.

1 homing missile with a couple bursts of machine gun will take you down. Just keep at it! If there are too many enemy warhawks in your area activate stealth and think of a different course of action.

deepbrown

Jaeyden said:
Hmmm...I thought you had to finish the match in order for your stats to record. I get messages all the time, but seldom will leave the match unless it's really important cause I don't wanna lose my points. I'd like to know a definitive on this one too.
No it saves your points. Unlike Resistance it does. I quit all the time, and it will still count a game I played for say half of it = and if they eventually lose, it counts as a loss on my stats. Sucks really.

ChryZ

Jaeyden said:
Jack Scofield said:
Huh. I never knew this. Learn something new everyday.
AFAIK stats are recorded AND transmitted while the match is in progress. Quiting will only result in the lose of bonus points since they're linked to the end results of the match. All this came from the early days of WarHawk, the game crashed a lot in the beta and they added this behavior to ease the pain.

Jaeyden

Finally got my Blue Angel's paint job last night :D .

Let's see...7 months to get 90k points, next rank at 150k points...what's that all about!?!? I won't rank up again until like sometime in 2013.

User 406

Banned
The warhawk boards refer to that as the dreaded "gap". Don't worry, the point requirements become more reasonable after Major, that is if you consider the 20K per level for the last half dozen ranks reasonable. :p

I'm about a thousand points and change short of Colonel right now, then just another 45K for General. With luck I'll have it before the anniversary of the game's release. :X

Kazenone

I've had enough of fucking Warhawk's boosting into my Jeep. Fuck those guys. I'm with you TTOB.

I was in a level 3 server, CTF and the other team were ramming me when I was in the Jeep - and I didn't even have the flag. They were just constantly going after Jeeps.

I switched servers, had fun until the PSN went down.

methane47

Jaeyden said:
Finally got my Blue Angel's paint job last night :D .

Let's see...7 months to get 90k points, next rank at 150k points...what's that all about!?!? I won't rank up again until like sometime in 2013.

You know Jaeyden... How did you sneak up the rankings like that?

I used to play in matches with you... and I would see the symbol over your name and think to myself... Thats wierd... I dont see many of those around... But it never ever clicked that you were such a high lvl char.

maybe its because you just recently started playing with us.....

Jaeyden

I wouldn't call it sneaking...lol. It's felt more like a crawl. Ooh, I did finally crack the top 100 in TDM so that made me feel good.

Anyways, dude, Manky how the hell are you so dangerous with that rocket launcher? It's like you can locked on to me. Ha!

I think I need new controllers, my launch controllers are getting huge deadspots in the center and can't aim for shit with the sniper, rocket launcher or tanks.

That last match, I was sniping someone chasing our flag carrier and he stepped right into the line of sight...-35 points. Then I was under the eaves flaming someone and the flag carrier drops off the ledge right into my flame..-35 points. I finished the round at -11. That's embarrassing.

User 406

Banned
It was revenge for all those air mines from last time! >:p

I dunno, I just points it and shoots it, I use the rocket launcher/grenade combo for a lot of easy splash damage, I don't think I'm all that good a shot.

I didn't expect you to leave that quick, so I stuck around, but left the server after the next game, half the people left and everyone was really bad, I couldn't pick on them any more. :X

And yeah, I've learned from painful experience to ALWAYS check fire when your own flag carrier is nearby/in the line of fire. Doesn't matter what weapon you're using, Murphy will prevail. :p

Kazenone

Urgh, have the official servers been messing up for anyone else today? Like 5 times I've been disconnected during great games.

Kazenone said:
Urgh, have the official servers been messing up for anyone else today? Like 5 times I've been disconnected during great games.

I was having some real issues this weekend. I'd get booted, then log in and receive "Servers not responding" messages. I could only see player servers.

Man, so close to 25k points. You bitches at 100k and above - SCREW YOU BENNY! :lol

Got stuck on some really shit teams too. Ugh got assraped on a CTF map, but I ended up getting MVP because I was busy taking up the slack for my fucking loser team. >:O

I'm about 200 points off from rank up. WHEE! New duds here I come. :D

first the ranks were broken
then they were fixed by making the requirements retarded
then stat padders found out how to work the system

at least the game hasn't been broken by cheaters. yet.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
icechai said:
1 homing missile with a couple bursts of machine gun will take you down. Just keep at it! If there are too many enemy warhawks in your area activate stealth and think of a different course of action.
Yeah, I've gotten a bit better since my last post. It helps playing with other Recruits. Now I'm just working on learning how to spin flip the Warkhawk in the other direction with the right analogue stick, so when my target ends up behind me he doesn't have a chance to return fire.

Man, so close to 25k points. You bitches at 100k and above - SCREW YOU BENNY! :lol

Hey, don't complain. I have about half the points you do. I thought I was doing pretty well until I saw the stats of certain people in this thread. :D

EDIT:

I was having some real issues this weekend. I'd get booted, then log in and receive "Servers not responding" messages. I could only see player servers.

This just happened to me, only I can't even get to the server screen. It'll say "Servers Not Responding" then kick me back to the sign-in screen. I'll try again.

ChryZ

Kazenone said:
I played for 2-3h last night, had no problem at all.

Thrakier

ARGH. Played to games yesterday with 40 to 5 kill stats and the warhawk domination achievement I haven't got before and...MY STATS DON'T GET UPDATED! Only the bad game I played before the two was recognized...FUCK.

deepbrown

Jaeyden said:
I wouldn't call it sneaking...lol. It's felt more like a crawl. Ooh, I did finally crack the top 100 in TDM so that made me feel good.

Anyways, dude, Manky how the hell are you so dangerous with that rocket launcher? It's like you can locked on to me. Ha!

I think I need new controllers, my launch controllers are getting huge deadspots in the center and can't aim for shit with the sniper, rocket launcher or tanks.

That last match, I was sniping someone chasing our flag carrier and he stepped right into the line of sight...-35 points. Then I was under the eaves flaming someone and the flag carrier drops off the ledge right into my flame..-35 points. I finished the round at -11. That's embarrassing.
That CTF was fun BTW :p I whipped all your butts with my kills....sadly I couldn't get that fooking flag back. Everybody on my team was just sitting in the base. Sitting on where the mine and binocculars spawn. Literally sitting there for 3 minutes. I just T/K them :p to try and make em do something!

Then the games went weird. A tiny little map for CTF (I got a flag capture, your team sucked :p ) And then the SAME map with DM....which was chaos. So I left.

deepbrown

Thrakier said:
ARGH. Played to games yesterday with 40 to 5 kill stats and the warhawk domination achievement I haven't got before and...MY STATS DON'T GET UPDATED! Only the bad game I played before the two was recognized...FUCK.
It will - don't worry :)

deepbrown

Jack Scofield said:
Hey, don't complain. I have about half the points you do. I thought I was doing pretty well until I saw the stats of certain people in this thread. :D

EDIT:

This just happened to me, only I can't even get to the server screen. It'll say "Servers Not Responding" then kick me back to the sign-in screen. I'll try again.
That happened to me too. Not last night. Chucked me out of a game with Bloody_Marcel - that I was just about to win nonetheless!!! Fuckers.

deepbrown

Thrakier said:
It's almost 18 hours now since then...you think it will still update? I wasn't disconnected or somehthing like that...
Yep should do. My stuff used to go missing for days :) Thought they fixed it though...sure it'll be fine.

User 406

Banned
I still avoid the official servers because of the friendly fire issue, so I haven't had any disconnection problems like that. My issues are that I'll join a server in the last minute of a game on the losing team, then the server will shut down when the game is over. Or I'll be whooping ass in a game and the server admin kicks me. XD

Thrakier

deepbrown said:
Yep should do. My stuff used to go missing for days :) Thought they fixed it though...sure it'll be fine.

But these problems were only in the beginning I thought? This is the first time I have a problem like this...

Steroyd

Looks like the season ends on April 1st, which is why challenges have been cooling off lately.
Not that I mind, I was taking a short break from Warhawk anyway. (-_-)

With that in mind we need to take this break period as a time to get our crap together and have a basic strategy no matter what mode or map is being used, like in the Resistance clan we have the wedge tactic where everyone huddles together and takes out the enemy in a group, but with transport being flight, and you can get to anywhere on the map in seconds it makes it that a little more difficult to achieve it in this game.

Suggestions?

ChryZ

Steroyd said:
Suggestions?
The wedge worked so well for Resistance, because you start off with carbine/bullseye the bread'n'butter weapons.

To dominate in WarHawk you need to control the sky and the weapon spawns. Many teams abused the game's mechanics to the point were they took our WarHawks and it ensured even more control.

Being more compact is a good approach and we improved in this regard. Going rambo works reasonable well on the official servers, but not in clan matches against people who know what they're doing.

Suggestions?

-We should play at least once a week together.
-Anyone should know the key bases. Taking control of them, holding them = top priority.
-Holding key bases includes controlling their air space and weapon spawns.
-Anyone should try to get as good as possible with air-to-air and air-to-ground combat.

User 406

Banned
ChryZ said:
-We should play at least once a week together.

This is the big thing. We need to actually schedule practices, and get enough people to field two full teams, and work on strategy. I think once the 1.3 patch is out and you can turn on global talk, it will be easier to coordinate this.

And one way to avoid people breaking your patterns is to get comfortable using everything in the game so you can switch up if you have to.

Made Colonel today! Two ranks to go. :D

klink.jpg

Sea Manky said:
I still avoid the official servers because of the friendly fire issue, so I haven't had any disconnection problems like that. My issues are that I'll join a server in the last minute of a game on the losing team, then the server will shut down when the game is over. Or I'll be whooping ass in a game and the server admin kicks me. XD

Friendly fire issue?

I've played on a lot of OS that have FF off.

I just prefer to stay on official servers, which is what I picked up from playing SOCOM. Less hassles in the end.

Jack: Yeah, but I've had the game since it launched. I really, really suck. :p I mean I believe it was three or four months between my last rank up. :lol

You just need to play some 12 hour marathon sessions like me to catch up. :D

I'm up for practice games, but I suspect it's a hosting issue for us since only a few folks can host large games. And as long as I'm not on the same team as deepbrown.

User 406

Banned
Friendly fire issue?

I've played on a lot of OS that have FF off.

That's the issue. :p All the official servers have FF off, and I don't like it. Being able to fire indiscriminately near your teammates with no consequences is not something I want to get accustomed to.

I just prefer to stay on official servers, which is what I picked up from playing SOCOM. Less hassles in the end.

The other thing about official servers is that they have the exact same map rotations and match settings forever. I get a lot more variety out of the player hosted ones.

Steroyd said:
Suggestions?

I've noticed that the more map you control, the better your chances of survival.

The problem comes from a lot of inexperienced players I've seen getting pinned down and panicked in their lone spawn point and not doing anything beyond playing DM, which in a zones or CTF game is fatal.

Players always need to be aware of the map and what zones you control to spawn at. Which is why I try to call out which zones I've captured, or coordinate with team mates to capture zones. For instance last night someone radioed to capture 8 and 3. By the time I got to a vehicle, 8 had been captured so I started heading to 3, when the guy got on the radio and called for backup on 3. I responded and drove my jeep in there to support him. Cleaned out the base (Cleaning out the base includes checking all the hidey holes and rafters to clean out the sneakier players), and he proceeded to get the Warhawk that spawned there and expanded our territory while we worked on base defense and keeping the flag in our possession.

It seems that overall communication is just as crucial as playing well. If folks don't know you've captured a forward spawn point, they won't spawn there.

I've also started using the large map in CTF to follow the flag. This is helpful for getting a Warhawk right over there and blowing the carrier up. Unfortunately I've noticed that not everybody does the same so more often than not I'll get the flag carrier, but then a swarm of his people will come in and liquefy me.

I guess what I'm saying is we need situational awareness.

Also, the buddy system helps. :D

I had some binocs and called in an air strike on one of the third base from spawn zones in Badlands. Well I have to wait for my next strike, so a team moved ahead and captured the base - and I kept the binocs up and called out the position of the enemy so the guys capturing knew exactly where to shoot. It was pretty sweet and the guys were eternally thankful because I helped their KDR. :p

That's the issue. :p All the official servers have FF off, and I don't like it. Being able to fire indiscriminately near your teammates with no consequences is not something I want to get accustomed to.

What?!

I could swear I've played on OS that have FF on. Because that's where I spend most of my time and you can plainly see my TK count is shameful. :p

User 406

Banned
I could swear I've played on OS that have FF on. Because that's where I spend most of my time and you can plainly see my TK count is shameful. :p

Well maybe they've added some FF enabled servers since I last checked, but back at patch 1.2 they switched them all over to no FF. I'll browse the server list and check out the info on the right, see what's up.

Additionally, is there any way to look up PSN accounts? Unfortunately my recently met list updated before I could send an invite to this guy I met who was a really good team player and I only recall part of his name. >:|

Jaeyden

Thrakier said:
But these problems were only in the beginning I thought? This is the first time I have a problem like this...

Just curious. Was it an official or ranked server you were playing on?

Hey where's carlos? Haven't seen him in a while.

Steroyd

Sea Manky said:
This is the big thing. We need to actually schedule practices, and get enough people to field two full teams, and work on strategy.

Blech! We try that and we eventually have an imbalance where strategy goes out of the window for one side or the other AND like hell we can get 16 members of our clan together for a 8v8 skirmish we'd be playing with the teams around for forever till we get the balance just right if ever for one match.

Official servers have the best shot at getting a good practice run against a good team and we can all be on the same side the higher the level of the server better.

Thrakier

Jaeyden said:
Just curious. Was it an official or ranked server you were playing on?

Hey where's carlos? Haven't seen him in a while.

Where is the difference? I think it was an official but I'm not quite sure. But almost sure.

Ceb

Steroyd said:
Blech! We try that and we eventually have an imbalance where strategy goes out of the window for one side or the other AND like hell we can get 16 members of our clan together for a 8v8 skirmish we'd be playing with the teams around for forever till we get the balance just right if ever for one match.

Official servers have the best shot at getting a good practice run against a good team and we can all be on the same side the higher the level of the server better.

The best chance of getting to play as a team is making a clan server, GAF vs. everyone else style. The downside of that is that a lot of noobs tend to flock to unranked servers. The redeeming factor is that something like 6 GAFers versus 12 random players is decently balanced.

Top Bottom