• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

carlos

Jaeyden said:
Hey where's carlos? Haven't seen him in a while.

I'm here, in the shadows....I sent a clan battle notification by email a few hours ago *****(march 31, 9pm edt); so far TTP and myself are good to go.******edit: forget it, challenge was withdrawn

I've been stuck on 399 hours for a week now, I occasionally log in to see if anyone from the clan is playing; I haven't seen anyone playing lately, so I just log out and shut down again.

And yeah, the hosting issue is our biggest barrier to getting our shit together; we have to invade more servers, I guess. And now we have to learn to play with 1.3 and see how the wrench changes the gameplay mechanics, among other things.

ChryZ

Regarding the hosting: IMHO GAF versus random fluff is pointless. I'd rather play 3v3, 4v4, etc against gaffers. Unranked, I don't like the idea of making points on the back of fellow clan members, that's what the gazillion other servers are for.

burnfout said:
Cannot play this monday, too late for me :(
Same here :'(

carlos

LOL, as usual, the challenge was withdrawn as soon as I start taking volunteers :mad:

Our fault, I suppose, seeing as how it had been up for a while now....

and so ends our first gamebattles season, 3-10 :/

User 406

Banned
Really though, Steroyd, we've done server invasions and GAF vs Pitiful Bastards Trickling In a number of times now, but what we really need is organized practice like the ones those clans who kicked our asses have. Just a private unranked server with team balancing off, and we can work on strategy and tactics. If someone wants to talk to the other team they can switch momentarily, and after 1.3 we can just turn on global communications if we want. We can even set up set piece scenarios on the fly if we want, just have big time limits and no score limit and we can practice taking/defending a particular zone over and over.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Jack: Yeah, but I've had the game since it launched. I really, really suck. :p I mean I believe it was three or four months between my last rank up. :lol

You just need to play some 12 hour marathon sessions like me to catch up. :D

I...uh...I have something to admit. I'm not proud of it. It was a long time ago, after all!

I've had the game since launch, too. :( I bought it the day it came out, but after the whole stats issue I put it down for a few months (my stats screen says I first played on 11/03/07, but my Bandit Rifle was awarded in August :D). Every once in a while I'd get into a Warhawk-playing phase then fall out of it. It could be because of college, a new game release, connection issues, incredibly frustrating Warhawk match, or something else. But jeez, my stats are EMBARRASSING for someone who's had the game since launch.

I don't know about 12-hour marathon sessions, but I'm trying to play more often than I have been in the six months or so. That's why I'm in the clan and posting in this thread. Merely talking about the game makes me want to play it. :D

Thrakier said:
ARGH. Played to games yesterday with 40 to 5 kill stats and the warhawk domination achievement I haven't got before and...MY STATS DON'T GET UPDATED! Only the bad game I played before the two was recognized...FUCK.

Warhawk domination? Which one is that? (I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, I was going through my own stats right now and didn't see one labeled "Warhawk Domination," so I was just wondering which one you're talking about)

And yeah, sometimes it takes awhile for my stats to be updated, too. Sometimes the in-game "achievement" box won't even pop up when I meet the requirements, even though it'll award me the badge/medal. But if the game is updating stats AFTER those two games you played, and you still don't have that achievement, I don't think it'll give it to you. :(

Jack Scofield said:
I...uh...I have something to admit. I'm not proud of it. It was a long time ago, after all!

I've had the game since launch, too. :( I bought it the day it came out, but after the whole stats issue I put it down for a few months (my stats screen says I first played on 11/03/07, but my Bandit Rifle was awarded in August :D). Every once in a while I'd get into a Warhawk-playing phase then fall out of it. It could be because of college, a new game release, connection issues, incredibly frustrating Warhawk match, or something else. But jeez, my stats are EMBARRASSING for someone who's had the game since launch.

I don't know about 12-hour marathon sessions, but I'm trying to play more often than I have been in the six months or so. That's why I'm in the clan and posting in this thread. Merely talking about the game makes me want to play it. :D

I can relate.

Fortunately this generation of games so far has been crap IMO, so that leaves even more time for Warhawk for me. :p

Speaking of crap Gamefly is sending me Viking instead of Army of Stool. :(

Steroyd said:
Gaf vs Gaf is gonna end up a ugly mess. (-_-)

As if GAF vs. Clans that have whupped us wasn't enough of an ugly mess? :p

Thrakier

Jack Scofield said:
Warhawk domination? Which one is that? (I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, I was going through my own stats right now and didn't see one labeled "Warhawk Domination," so I was just wondering which one you're talking about)

And yeah, sometimes it takes awhile for my stats to be updated, too. Sometimes the in-game "achievement" box won't even pop up when I meet the requirements, even though it'll award me the badge/medal. But if the game is updating stats AFTER those two games you played, and you still don't have that achievement, I don't think it'll give it to you. :(

I do not have the english version of the game, I just called it warhawk domination. For the badge you need more than 10 warhawk kills and the most warhawk kills overall. For me as a non-warhawk-pro it's kinda hard to get. And yeah, I lost all the stats from yesterday...that's frustrating.

I'm fucking pissed. Just got this game and it won't connect. Network timeout. Nothing wrong with my network, NAT Type 2 and all. First I had to return Resistance because it didn't work online and now this. Fuck Sony online.

Ceb

Sea Manky said:
Really though, Steroyd, we've done server invasions and GAF vs Pitiful Bastards Trickling In a number of times now, but what we really need is organized practice like the ones those clans who kicked our asses have. Just a private unranked server with team balancing off, and we can work on strategy and tactics. If someone wants to talk to the other team they can switch momentarily, and after 1.3 we can just turn on global communications if we want. We can even set up set piece scenarios on the fly if we want, just have big time limits and no score limit and we can practice taking/defending a particular zone over and over.

We should set a date and time for this sometime this weekend. I miss playing with you guys.

miyamotofreak said:
I'm fucking pissed. Just got this game and it won't connect. Network timeout. Nothing wrong with my network, NAT Type 2 and all. First I had to return Resistance because it didn't work online and now this. Fuck Sony online.

Why is it Sony's fault that your network config isn't playing nice with Warhawk?

Do some Googling, you can't be the only sod who's had troubles of this variety.

Can you play any online PS3 titles? :\

ChryZ

miyamotofreak said:
Yeah, it's not your setup. It's all Sony's fault.

DireStr8s

Ceb said:
We should set a date and time for this sometime this weekend. I miss playing with you guys.

Aye, the past couple of weeks have been the wosrt/best of my life. I need to have some fun. Let's Warhawk!! Tonite even!

mintylurb

miyamotofreak said:
have you tried giving your ps3 a static ip then putting it in a dmz?

Steroyd

The Take Out Bandit said:
As if GAF vs. Clans that have whupped us wasn't enough of an ugly mess? :p

On that note we need to practice dominating and kicking a team when it's down it happens to us, but we don't do it to them. :mad:

Jaeyden

onadesertedisland said:
warhawk now 29.99

Noob invasion confirmed. Should be a good week for picking off clueless new guys wandering into lvl 3-4 servers. Muwahahaaha.....oh wait, they'll all end up on my team. Noooooo...

BTW, carlos I asked where you were cause I sent ya a FR about a week ago.

methane47

Hey guys just wanted to say that chances are I wont make it to the game on monday... I'm in the middle of moving across the sea back to the caribbean. That said.. my ping is going to royally suck monkey balls when i get there. Anyways I'll let you guys know more later

carlos

Just to remind everyone if they missed it the first time, THERE IS NO GAME ON MONDAY

Our season is done; perhaps we could get together on the weekend to bid farewell to 1.2

Oh and Jaeyden, I saw your friend request, but when I clicked to accept it, it said: "an error has ocurred; the operation has been cancelled".

I usually turn on the ps3 every couple of days, so it may take me a day or two to see new messages/friend requests.

And I know know why I've almost stopped playing....I just played a couple of hours and I couldn't be more frustrated with my team and the way I played :/ I'm really tired of playing....
Occasionally someone good will show up and give me a good challenge in the air, but then i check his ping and its about 40...well that explains it.... happened about 3 times today.

Oh and in one particular ctf game, the guy in the dropship taking our flag had a ping of over 400; the guy was disappearing and appearing somewhere else constantly and it was impossible to stop him....that was such BS...

I really hope 1.3 freshens up the game, or I might end up playing less WH and more GTA4 multiplayer and MGO....I'm not even sure whether to buy the second expansion...

User 406

Banned
Well, I went down the list of official servers this morning, and every single one had friendly fire at 0%. :/

Fortunately there's always good competition on the Japanese servers. :D Although 2ch_fighter suspiciously shuts down after I join every time.

User 406

Banned
More Broken Mirror info including a trailer here:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/28/operation-broken-mirror/

Looks like the release date has been finalized at April 17. Apparently the new map has some asymmetrical layouts, and DYNAMIC WEATHER! :D

On the downside, it looks like there will be no crossover between OD and BM. Dylan explains that they didn't want to fracture the player base and force them to buy all the expansions. So you can has dropship or APC, but not both.

Oh, and it looks like they're massaging the scoring system again. Flag carrier kills and flag returns up, flag tossing out.

Kazenone

Looking throught the blog posts, Dylan Jobe has made some interested comments (Sea Manky already mentioned some);

-No cross boster pack levels
-They are working on v1.4 (2 new game modse, Introduce more filtering options, custom soundtracks)
-In v1.3, more points for killing Flag carrier in CTF. You can also no long drop the flag
-No longer lock-on to turrets with Warhawk/Nemesis
-Invisible Air Mine bug fixed
-APCs are very, very tough and Flag carrier can get in it
-Possibility of putting both booster packs together for one download
-Omega Dawn will not be made free
-PSN cards ARE coming. He's seen them, it's just taking a long time.

Kazenone said:
-No longer lock-on to turrets with Warhawk/Nemesis

I keep forgetting that you can lock-on to turrets. Whenever I'm shooting one I'm usually close enough where a lock-on is unnecessary. Either that or a TOW missile.

-Possibility of putting both booster packs together for one download.

Very good.

-Omega Dawn will not be made free

That's a shame. They seem to understand the importance of not splintering your user base, so why not give out Omega Dawn for free at some point?

Everything else on that list is nice.

User 406

Banned
Actually, he said that you won't be able to lock on to 50 cal turrets like you currently can. I'd imagine you can still lock on the big ones. Apparently they've altered the power of the 50 cal guns too, I expect two-man jeeps are going to become more dangerous targets.

Kazenone

Jack Scofield said:
That's a shame. They seem to understand the importance of not splintering your user base, so why not give out Omega Dawn for free at some point?

Everything else on that list is nice.

What about if it was made free? Everyone would be on OD, a huge ratio of people on OD against BM. That's splitting up the userbase too. Dylan Jobe said some good points, let the people decide what they want to play.

deepbrown

Sea Manky said:
More Broken Mirror info including a trailer here:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/28/operation-broken-mirror/

Looks like the release date has been finalized at April 17. Apparently the new map has some asymmetrical layouts, and DYNAMIC WEATHER! :D

On the downside, it looks like there will be no crossover between OD and BM. Dylan explains that they didn't want to fracture the player base and force them to buy all the expansions. So you can has dropship or APC, but not both.

Oh, and it looks like they're massaging the scoring system again. Flag carrier kills and flag returns up, flag tossing out.

Duh. I said that and noone cared!!! PFT!

Ceb

Dylan Jobe said:
YES — the buildings in the center of Vaporfield Glacier are fully traversable. Meaning that some of the collision “bondo” that we used in the core game levels has been done away with for the new level.

So…yes, you can climb on roofs and hide in the destroyed buildings of Olsavik Village.

That's awesome.

Kazenone said:
What about if it was made free? Everyone would be on OD, a huge ratio of people on OD against BM. That's splitting up the userbase too. Dylan Jobe said some good points, let the people decide what they want to play.

If they made Omega Dawn free, they could integrate the dropship/Omega Factory across all of their servers. Then there would be just be two types of players: those who have Broken Mirror, and those who do not. As it stands now, there are people who have both Omega Dawn and Broken Mirror, just Omega Dawn, just Broken Mirror, or neither.

I already have the Omega Dawn expansion, so I'm not being cheap or anything. I just think that making it free would unify the userbase.

Jaeyden

-In v1.3, more points for killing Flag carrier in CTF. You can also no long drop the flag

That really sucks. On many occasions I've got flag returns by landing at the enemy base, grabbing the flag to draw out the campers, dropping it when they come after me, getting back into my WH, nail em with a TOW, then grab the flag again and head off in a jeep. It works particularly well on Archipelago when your team is locked down at your base and you are the only person able to get to the other side in a WH.

tfur

I would be interested in joining any practice sessions, if you guys have these... I usually play on weekends, or some nights after 7:00pm central... almost always on the Sony servers.

I play CTF exclusively, but will happily play zones or tdm... and spend 90% of my time in a warhawk...

Definitely will be getting Broken Mirror when it comes out...

add me...

PSN ID: tfur

Ceb

Jaeyden said:
That really sucks. On many occasions I've got flag returns by landing at the enemy base, grabbing the flag to draw out the campers, dropping it when they come after me, getting back into my WH, nail em with a TOW, then grab the flag again and head off in a jeep. It works particularly well on Archipelago when your team is locked down at your base and you are the only person able to get to the other side in a WH.

Yeah, could also make small CTFs harder. Still, I think the good clearly outweighs the bad here.

Ceb

It just means people will have to change the way they approach turrets. Calling in ground support will be more important, as will being the first one to the cluster bombs.

No more approaching from below with locked homing missiles ready to fire.

User 406

Banned
Dylan Jobe said:
YES…missiles don’t lock onto 50’s any more. That is fixed in the v1.3 patch along with some other targeting and balance changes for the 50’s

He didn't say anything about flak or missile turrets.

Besides, you don't need a lock when coming up from below, the nice thing about turrets is they don't move. I rarely get a lock ahead of time and I use homing missiles on turrets constantly.

deepbrown

ChryZ said:
Yeah, it's not your setup. It's all Sony's fault.
We whipped you in that ctf :p Then the network crashed in the next game

The ps3 crashed itself in another game - was a really hectic moment, pulling the framerate right down - and then it just froze :(

Top Bottom