• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

ChryZ

Sea Manky said:
That's what I see, but that's not what's happening.
I watched most of those youtube videos. A few things that I've noticed:

-they start off with a back bone path, once it is secured they expand
-they rarely shout numbers over voip (not 100% sure)
-they rarely go for bases alone by themselves
-they contain the enemy, maintain airspace and base control
-they barely talked in that TDM
-they top priority seems to be team work/support, the game's objective is secondary
-they hunt in packs
-they like to spawn away from the action,
while equipping on the way to the action,
while patrolling secured territory for stray enemies

carlos

I'd like to add, if you noticed at the start of the eucadia zones game, they all spawn to get their home up to 3, but the guys who aren't able to get a WH all suicide and spawn at the bases they're starting to grow. (around 6-8 people at once....it's better than getting in a jeep anyway).

BTW the 1004 clan server is : WH_Fighter_1@JP (they kick people if the ping is over 300)

They changed it a few days ago; turns out their host gets 100Mb upload and download for only $50; I'm so jealous! lol

User 406

Banned
Actually it's 2ch_fighter, BigManZam made a correction later in the thread.

And yeah, they use that suicide tactic. The one I suggested ages ago and everyone rejected. :p

Edit: Derp, looks like they recorrected the name, I just caught up on the thread again. You're right.

ChryZ

carlos said:
They changed it a few days ago; turns out their host gets 100Mb upload and download for only $50; I'm so jealous! lol
It's not just the bandwidth, those deals are usually optical fiber and latency should be top notch.

Ceb

I'm hoping my ISP will update my connection to 100MBps upload as well. Right now it's 10Mbps, which is fine, but real-world performance and trans-Atlantic connections eat up a lot of that.

jjasper

So after being put off by the game when it first launched I decided to redownload it this weekend. Man they have really improved the game and I really enjoy it now. Just wondering when do you guys usually play?

Ceb

On weekdays, there are GAFers on at various times since we have lots of both North Americans and Europeans alike in the clan.

You'll see most people online on Fri-Sun. We usually have our big clan matches around 3-4pm EDT to 7-8pm. Lots of NA people keep playing after that time as well.

Jaeyden

Sea Manky said:
And yeah, they use that suicide tactic. The one I suggested ages ago and everyone rejected. :p

Well, I'm behind you on that one. I suicide intentionally to get to different spawns, all the time.

I will say that the one thing I didn't like about our GB matches was that we were always on a small map layout. When we got our asses handed to us, it was because the other team would have control of the Warhawks and the ONE or TWO other bases that could be captured. I applaud these guys for insisting on 16 v 16 play. The game is so much more tactical on the larger map layouts as opposed to brute force tactics on small maps. It doesn't surprise me at all that 1004 routed these other guys that are probably used to just focusing on taking the forward point and then just making sure they have more Warhawks in the air than the other team.

User 406

Banned
Blargh!

So it's 10am and I figure I'll jump on and get in on WH_fighter during their second block, and a system update pops up. :(

Edit:

Ow ow ow ow ow!

So I'm playing, and my son decides to take a nap in my lap.

FOR THREE HOURS.

My ass is going to have to be amputated. >_<

CSSer

well, I'll be gone from warhawk for ~2 months or so because my ps3 is getting repaired (just in time for broken mirror). I'm sure Steroyd will kick me off the clan >____>

mintylurb

CSSer said:
well, I'll be gone from warhawk for ~2 months or so because my ps3 is getting repaired (just in time for broken mirror). I'm sure Steroyd will kick me off the clan >____>
oni9c1.gif

Nitsuj23

I'm gonna buy Warhawk within the next few week and I'm just wondering if it's hard to get into. How long would you guys say the learning curve is? I hate being a noob when I'm working with a team.

icechai

Nitsuj23 said:
I'm gonna buy Warhawk within the next few week and I'm just wondering if it's hard to get into. How long would you guys say the learning curve is? I hate being a noob when I'm working with a team.

Depends how good you are at shooters. IF decent, your learning curve will mainly be the Warhawk, 1 week of playing around should get you at a decent level. Read the big faqs from this forum to up your skill some more. Then the fun will be juggling all the different elements into your game (jeeps, tanks, warhawks, machineguns, troop weapons, turrets, and whatever will help out your team). Most of the games where you get really high scores is when you use everything available to you in the battlefield while playing both defensively and offensively as the tide permits.

Haven't been on with you guys lately cuz of my schedule, but this game is still as addicting as ever! Had a couple really good games although one of the flag runners kept swearing at our team for not helping him out enough (we still won though, and this guy had 0 caps, but kudos for getting it out of the base so much). Biofield doesn't really seem too useful in CTF, but the wrench rocks.

Ooooh and something I forgot to mention about the new dualshock controller. Any explosions around you will rumble appropriately, so it kind of acts like a spider-sense as well as immersing you more in the game ^_^

dralla

The Biofield is great for capturing spawn points in CTF games. I can't count how many times they've saved my life. You can also throw it on the front of the Jeep and make running people over a little easier. :D

Steroyd

CSSer said:

oni9c1.gif

I know I'll kick you off the clan and then re-invite you now, so if you're still interested in playing Warhawk in two months time all you have to do is click accept.

Ceb

I feel like I'm getting worse at piloting warhawks. Played a DM on MrPips' server. I was alone in the air for most of the time, except for when WAR's TruKilla also took to the skies. And... I just COULD NOT shake him if he went after me. I tried turning around quickly so I could blast him with lightning shots, but I was much too slow. This is the aspect I need the most training in. I simply can't pull off Manky's rapid 180 turns no matter how hard I try. I use both sticks for turning, but it doesn't help.

Any tips from our pro pilots?

User 406

Banned
Ceb, which way are you pushing both sticks? When I want to do a tight turn, I do it like a real aircraft, I roll the body, then pitch the nose in the direction I want to go. So I'm typically pulling both sticks back or pushing them both forward. If you're pushing the left stick to the side, which is the equivalent of rudder control, you won't get the tight turn you want.

And yesterday I was in a small map game and there was a Fortress CTF round. My team used the BFG to great advantage by continuously placing a lot of them at intervals along the landing pads and catwalks so the flag carrier could keep recovering health as he ran. I also stuck them to the underside of the enemy tower to hurt them as they guarded the flag. And in any CTF game where you're running with the flag and someone starts chasing you with an assault rifle, just toss one down and return fire. :)

jjasper

Nitsuj23 said:

I just redownloaded it this past weekend after initially being put off when it first came out. The most important thing is setting the filter to "my rank" and look for servers where the rank is around yours (Sergeant is for lower ranked games (they are lvl 1 on the Sony ones I think) and most common lower level games, but you can find some games with Airman). Overall I would say it is pretty easy to get into, if you get over the fact you are going to die a lot trying to figure everything out.

Ceb

Sea Manky said:
Ceb, which way are you pushing both sticks? When I want to do a tight turn, I do it like a real aircraft, I roll the body, then pitch the nose in the direction I want to go. So I'm typically pulling both sticks back or pushing them both forward. If you're pushing the left stick to the side, which is the equivalent of rudder control, you won't get the tight turn you want.

And yesterday I was in a small map game and there was a Fortress CTF round. My team used the BFG to great advantage by continuously placing a lot of them at intervals along the landing pads and catwalks so the flag carrier could keep recovering health as he ran. I also stuck them to the underside of the enemy tower to hurt them as they guarded the flag. And in any CTF game where you're running with the flag and someone starts chasing you with an assault rifle, just toss one down and return fire. :)

I brake, roll to the side and then pull both sticks back. I'll have to practice more. Of course, TruKilla is a good pilot so I suppose I shouldn't stress out too much about not being able to cope with him well.

fortified_concept said:
After the update I can't go online. It stucks at the "initalizing network" screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

Correct.
After every update they take their servers down so that they can be updated.

Steroyd

gofreak said:
So 1.31 is out...55MB....anyone know what it does? I assume it's very small fixes, being a .01 update...

It's probably to allow compatibiity with the BM expansion.

Awe man I'm getting humped with expansions to my games this month. :D

dralla said:
yea, 1.31 enables Team Switch

Incognito shouldn't have listened to the fans this time. Give people the option of turning on Team Switch in ranked matches, but keep it off in blue servers.

When team switch was off people actually felt compelled to finish the match and not wait on the pause screen for an opening on the winning team. Oh well...

mintylurb

Jack Scofield said:
Incognito shouldn't have listened to the fans this time. Give people the option of turning on Team Switch in ranked matches, but keep it off in blue servers.

When team switch was off people actually felt compelled to finish the match and not wait on the pause screen for an opening on the winning team. Oh well...
yup, pretty much. I've been playing quite a lot since jobe removed team switch but looks like I'll go back to playing other games now ;<

Ceb

It's out already? Niiiiiiice.

Hey, what do you guys say we get a massive !GAF going on later tonight?

We can do it unranked, password protected or however you like it so we can all learn the ins and out of Vaporfield Glacier.

slider

Well I just got my ass handed to me on Vaporfield Glacier (I think that's what it was called) in a 8 man game with only 3 players!

Need to check out the new layouts. Certainly very atmospheric. It made my toes feel cold...

slider

Can't believe I beat gofreak to it! : )

Just had an uncomfortable round in Olsavik village. The spawn points weren't great - it was a bit of a free for all. Everyone was generating in the middle of 16 players running round. Ouch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm just playing around with the new toys..

The APC boost attack is LOL.

Pity you can't attach the bubble shield to the APC itself, although I guess that would possibly screw up the balance a lot (i.e. it would be RIDICULOUSLY powerful for CTF).

The APC is also faster than I expected.

edit - APC Boost is major LOL when you actually hit something right :lol It harks back to childhood days of ramming people in bumper cars and the like...but with explosions.

Though tanks seem immune.

I would love to play with you guys sometime. My PSN Is "Filth_Flannigan" and I have played the living daylights out of this game from beta testing on (finished 12th in the Beta). I have been taking some time away but have recently picked it back up. I prefer Zones, however, to any other game mode.

Top Bottom