• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Jack Scofield said:
I'm pretty sure people would just keep dropping/picking up the flag, since a flag grab counts as two (?) points.

Oh fuck.

That's retarded.

Call me crazy, but keep the option in; but modify the game so that points are not rewarded for grabbing the damned thing.

User 406

Banned
You only get points for grabbing the flag from the enemy base, so stat padders collaborated to earn points. You didn't see those "RANK_UP_NO_KILL", or "10K_POINTS/HOUR" servers before?

Before they turned off flag dropping, I did a little test in a local game because I was curious how the stat padders were getting points per minute in the thousands. After a little experimentation, I figured it out. They set up a CTF game with a flag return time of 0, then get one guy on one team to stand on the opposing team's flag spawn, and a guy on the other team to stand in front of him. Then the guy on the flag just presses the triangle button, the flag gets tossed to the defender, it's instantly returned, and instantly grabbed again. Grab points for the taker, return points for the defender. Hammer the button and it's like rapid fire, very impressive.

Even if they removed the points for grabbing the flag, padders would just take turns, so they'd have to remove the flag return points as well. And then you'd see a lot more CTF games where people act like it's deathmatch since they'd have no motivation to have anything to do with the flag. :/

I also didn't like that they removed the flag drop, since it was pretty useful in certain ways, like giving it to a base camping teammate when I was of more use trying to get our flag back, or when I had no support on a flag run, dropping it temporarily to jump in a warhawk and take care of business myself. I also miss the 0 second flag return, since I played quite a few interesting games with that setting before. Plus I'm of the opinion that giving padders an easy way to pad is useful, since they have no fucking self-restraint and make themselves easily identifiable for Incognito's account nukers. :p Admittedly, since they've turned flag dropping off, padders are a lot less prevalent on the leaderboards. And I don't think it's as bad as having friendly fire off as the default for new players, now that was a boneheaded move. >:|

Yay, managed to be placed on Team Suck twice today. Lost the second Zones match in the very last seconds of the game, even though we were up by a few thousand poinst midway through the game. What a fucking joke.

carlos

A new weird bug in the game for me today; I'm playing on blue OD maps, when suddenly a very strange sound starts at a very high volume (kinda like a cross betwen the dropship and a chainsaw). After a while it goes away, but then it stars around every 2 minutes for no reason at all?!?

After a few games, I get stuck at the results screen (this happens occasionally when the server is disconnected; but the weird thing is that ALL the games I join are now getting stuck at the results screen!

I pressed the center PS button and quit the game, but then the PS3 made the 3 beeping sounds, shut itself off, then on again. When it came back on, my warhawk theme was gone!?!

Later still I went back to play some more, and the noise and problems were gone, BUT now I'm getting all the help tips that show up when you first play, and I'm getting old awards, AND my customized controls and server filter were set back to default....hmmmm

2real4tv

carlos said:
A new weird bug in the game for me today; I'm playing on blue OD maps, when suddenly a very strange sound starts at a very high volume (kinda like a cross betwen the dropship and a chainsaw). After a while it goes away, but then it stars around every 2 minutes for no reason at all?!?

After a few games, I get stuck at the results screen (this happens occasionally when the server is disconnected; but the weird thing is that ALL the games I join are now getting stuck at the results screen!

I pressed the center PS button and quit the game, but then the PS3 made the 3 beeping sounds, shut itself off, then on again. When it came back on, my warhawk theme was gone!?!

Later still I went back to play some more, and the noise and problems were gone, BUT now I'm getting all the help tips that show up when you first play, and I'm getting old awards, AND my customized controls and server filter were set back to default....hmmmm

I played with you today: [TURK]Bigmanny287

Carlos, I think I may have heard that loud sound before. It usually seems to happen when the map has an APC, and it usually sounds like a big engine or something.

Am I close, or am I hearing something completely different? And your stats are fine, right?

carlos

Jack Scofield said:
Carlos, I think I may have heard that loud sound before. It usually seems to happen when the map has an APC, and it usually sounds like a big engine or something.

Am I close, or am I hearing something completely different? And your stats are fine, right?

No, I don't have broken mirror (that's why I can't join you online), so an APC is out of the question.

Yet who knows, this isn't a glitch-free piece of software, maybe it is an APC even though I don't have BM !

And yeah, the stats are fine, it seems sorta like a server reset directly into my account, but luckily the stats were backed up :) Weird stuff, I tell you what

phew! Just spent a good five hours playing split screen online with a buddy on unranked servers. Good times!

Although my tourettes style smacktalk was a bit disconcerting for the uninitiated. :D

Thrakier

Why is the KDR going down much faster than going up? Everytime I had a bad game this thing goes down and it's fucking hard to get it back up.

Good times!

All the good players left MrPips server, and somehow I managed to get 1st place in a CTF game?! :O

Miracle of miracles.

Also had a pistols only deathmatch. Holy shit does my right arm hurt from pulling the trigger so much and so fast - JACK BAUER! :lol

GAH! SHIT!

Fucking PSN errors all out my ass today. >:O

And I was doing exceptionally well on this server when the PSN takes a big fat Sony Shit in my mouth. I had several flag captures, and was awarded several medals.

Do I lose all this shit because Sony sucks a fat fucking dick? God damn it! >:|

I think stats are sent to the server while a game is being played, so I think you're safe. However, I've had matches that were never updated to my stats page, so maybe not. :/

carlos

I'm pretty sure the stats are sent as soon as the game finishes, by the host (stats are recorded even if you played for a while and left before the end, obviously.

So if for some reason you got a -server disconnected- error, then your stats for that game are gone, I'm afraid. If it's something related to the psn, but the server didn't crash, then your points are safe.

Really sad seeing the server situation lately, there's a LOT of official servers that are empty; I briefly counted yesterday and today, days where traffic should be at its peak, and there were only around 40 out of 230 official servers with a significant amount of people :(

Had some good games today, none quite as good as the one PSN shat me out of - but fun. Then Sea Manky shows up and everybody starts riding his nuts and joining his team. Leaving me on the fucko squad and watching us get assraped.

Really no point in getting in the air, and these dumb shits let the enemy team overrun the base and camp in our own fucking base.

IT'S NOT LIKE YOU DUMB COCKSUCKERS CAN SPAWN ANYWHERE ELSE! AT THE VERY LEAST DEFEND YOUR LAST FUCKING BASE!

Ugh. . .

After several rounds of this someone with a clue joins the team and we start performing better. Hooray for teamwork!

User 406

Banned
Man, Willkills_M was targeting the hell out of me for the first couple games there, funny hearing him bitch at the end of that Archipelago TDM. :p

That moe734 guy who showed up for the last couple games was a hell of a pilot too.

Sea Manky said:
Man, Willkills_M was targeting the hell out of me for the first couple games there, funny hearing him bitch at the end of that Archipelago TDM. :p

Yeah I dunno. I think he just joined during the ass end of that match, and starts crying about people not grabbing bases, etc.

Well dude. It's an uphill battle. Every time I grab a spawn, nobody spawns there, the enemy recaptures it, and I have to keep going back and recapturing it for my own fucking amusement.

Really.

There are two things you can do when a game isn't going your way and your team in uncooperative; take the loss and hope the next match goes better or quit and go jerk-off to /d. :p

Jaeyden

carlos said:
Really sad seeing the server situation lately, there's a LOT of official servers that are empty; I briefly counted yesterday and today, days where traffic should be at its peak, and there were only around 40 out of 230 official servers with a significant amount of people :(

Everyone is on vacation in Liberty City. We'll be back soon though. Played a couple rounds yesterday....I still <3 me some Warhawk.

Yeah, I haven't played in a few days, either. Decided to finally play Uncharted and dear God, what a great game. I can't believe I held off for this long without playing it.

In any case, I'll be back on Warhawk sometime this week. I just ranked up a few days ago, and I haven't had the chance to play since then.

Warhawk is a sickness.

I recall when I made my last rank, I thought - 10k points to next rank? I'm doomed! I'll never make it!

Now I'm 2k points away from ranking up. :X

If I were a better player I'd rank up faster, but what the hell. It's not like they're making a sequel. :p

2real4tv

The Take Out Bandit said:
Yeah I dunno. I think he just joined during the ass end of that match, and starts crying about people not grabbing bases, etc.

Well dude. It's an uphill battle. Every time I grab a spawn, nobody spawns there, the enemy recaptures it, and I have to keep going back and recapturing it for my own fucking amusement.

Really.

There are two things you can do when a game isn't going your way and your team in uncooperative; take the loss and hope the next match goes better or quit and go jerk-off to /d. :p

What I really hate is when u have the flagged and u get killed right outside your own base and nobody grabs the enemy flag.

I also hate when are flag is gone and you see most of your team still in home base.

Can anyone them me how do people kill you in mid-air with the TOW missle do you have to hit the person or can you detonate it.

carlos

2real4tv said:
Can anyone them me how do people kill you in mid-air with the TOW missle do you have to hit the person or can you detonate it.

It really depends on your lag, but if the person is hovering or attacking ground troops, you can detonate it yourself and it will usually hit. If the warhawk is in flight, then you pretty much have to hit it for it to be effective, but again, it depends on lag.

A couple nights ago I had my most memorable air to air TOW kill, against [WAR!]Schindlersfist, Eucadia, near the top of the mountain Tow spawn, he grabs it, shoots it at me and I barely boost past it, he blows it up in flight since he missed and dashes off towards the chaff/cluster bomb ravine. I turn around from the top of that mountain and shoot off my own TOW at max speed and score a direct hit as he passes the cluster bomb. Needless to say, he was quite irritable and aggressive towards me after that, lol.

User 406

Banned
Fuck, that's TWO lockups today on that BM server right at the last second of each game. Sorry guys, but I'm not coming back in there. >:| Did I show up on the score list at all?

Warhawk is a sickness.

I recall when I made my last rank, I thought - 10k points to next rank? I'm doomed! I'll never make it!

Now I'm 2k points away from ranking up. :X

If I were a better player I'd rank up faster, but what the hell. It's not like they're making a sequel. :p

Related hilarious quote from the Warhawk boards, Topic: WHY is there a 60,000 point stretch between Captain and Major?

Millenneus said:
They had two more ranks in the gap but decided at the last minute to take them out.
Major Padder
General Whiner

XD

sruckus

I played Warhawk for the first time this weekend...I pretty much sucked...bad. In Capture the flag I'd spend so much time getting to the flag just to die everytime and respawn back at mine, I guess you really need to work together as a team then? Kind of hard when no one has mics...losers.

Also, how do Zones work? What do you have to do to actually "claim" or have the game notice your zone getting larger or taking over someone elses? Any tips for improving enough so I don't feel embarassed to play say, with GAFrs or other people? lol

carlos

Jaeyden said:
Yes. You finished like 10th or 11th IIRC. Good try though.

:lol

JK, score went Manky 1st, Chryz 2nd, Jaeyden 3rd, Nohne 5th :D

Yeah, I saw y'all playing together and felt so left out...

horrible day for me today, with fluctuating ping all day, as well as lack of sleep and coordination...

13,000 to next rank...oh crap...at my current pace, that would take me just over 40 hours....sigh

Sea Manky said:
Related hilarious quote from the Warhawk boards, Topic: WHY is there a 60,000 point stretch between Captain and Major?

I reckon the difference is that they're paying attention; whereas I wake up three days later in a seedy back alley covered in blood - wait. . . I mean wake up three days later with a pounding headache and the shame of knowing I just dumped another 21 hours into the game because I can't control the addiction. :(

Oh yeah, if there is a Warhawk 2 how about AIRCRAFT CARRIERS?! :O

User 406

Banned
Jaeyden said:
Yes. You finished like 10th or 11th IIRC. Good try though.

:lol

JK, score went Manky 1st, Chryz 2nd, Jaeyden 3rd, Nohne 5th :D

Well that's nice to know, at least I got the damn points even if it did lock up.

xcrunner529 said:
Also, how do Zones work? What do you have to do to actually "claim" or have the game notice your zone getting larger or taking over someone elses? Any tips for improving enough so I don't feel embarassed to play say, with GAFrs or other people? lol

In Zones, your team scores points every so often based on the size of the zone circles you see on the map for each base your team has. Each zone can be grown up to a max of level 3. Also, when the circles intersect, they link up, and if a chain of zones link back to your home base, your team also scores bonus points for the link. So basically you want to capture as many bases as possible and grow them as big as possible. The thing is, if a nearby zone belongs to an enemy, the zones can't grow to the point that they intersect. So if the enemy has a base at level 3, your team can only grow the very next base over to level 1. Reducing the enemy zones is an important part of growing yours.

As for how to do it, to reduce an enemy zone and hopefully capture it, you have to stand near the base flag until the bar at the bottom of the screen shrinks down to neutral. The higher the zone level, the longer the bar, so capturing a level 3 zone is a much tougher proposition than a level 1 since you have to stick around the base flag and survive while enemies are still able to spawn nearby. Growing a zone for your team works the same way, only you don't have to stay by the base flag, you can be anywhere within the colored circle on your map.

One other important tip to remember is that when you die, you can use the d-pad to pick a different respawn point on the map, so look for contested bases and spots near the front to respawn, don't just respawn back at your main base.

Oh yeah, if there is a Warhawk 2 how about AIRCRAFT CARRIERS?! :O

Considering the APC shows up in the original preview videos of Warhawk, I'm kind of hoping we'll see them take more of the single player assets that got cut and tweak, balance, and update them for future expansions. I think a map with those big flying battleships as permanent bases would be awesome, maybe even give them a driver's seat and the ability to move them slowly around the map. :X

Steroyd

Hi!

Alogoquin had rush hour after rush hour it was hella packed, and people trying to pop a cap in my ass 24/7 in Bohan and on my way back from holiday I had to detour through Groznyj Grad and Crown Links.

Yay I'm back from my holidays just need to unpack my souvenirs.

icechai

this game has covered my PC in dust. I literally haven't touched PC gaming since this game came out, kind of weird as most of my multiplayer life was spent weaning on Counter-Strike and such. After taking some detours in Alogoquin as well, Warhawk MP is still the best :D

User 406

Banned
icechai said:
this game has covered my PC in dust. I literally haven't touched PC gaming since this game came out, kind of weird as most of my multiplayer life was spent weaning on Counter-Strike and such. After taking some detours in Alogoquin as well, Warhawk MP is still the best :D

Not weird at all. I've never played Counter-Strike, but from what I've read, it's extremely well balanced and deep. Well, so is Warhawk. It's become my high water mark for multiplayer gaming too for just that reason.

Enough with the praise already!
It's never enough! ^^

So I've seen the Warhawk Booster Combo in the US store. Is it compatible with the PAL Warhawk?

i finally popped in warhawk tonight after not playing it since a few weeks after launch (stats bugs and game full errors got to me), and im back in love with it. i remember why i played it non-stop when i first got it. i just got an HDTV and replaying all my games feel's like a totally brand new experience. my first game back in a team deatmatch i did amazing with a whopping 2-0 kill/death ratio, haha. i just hid on a mountain and marveled in the wowness most of the time.

Thrakier

Could you please tell me how I know on which server I can play with the APC on different maps except glacier? I don't want to play glacier all the time.

Right now you're playing in BM[EXCLUSIVE]. Look for servers with the name "BM[ALL]" or something to that effect. Those servers with have a variety of maps and gametypes with the APC.

I'd like to sign up for that tournament, but I know I'd get dominated. The "new" weapons look pretty neat, though they don't really fit the aesthetic of the game, in my opinion. I wonder if I'll receive the ceremonial blade if all I do is sign up and not play. :p

But that Warhawk statue is super cool, I would buy one in a heartbeat if priced correctly. And great news about more large map servers, although most CTF maps are already half large, half medium.

And I'm not even going to try to figure out that riddle. Someone in the comments section theorized a new team, and even though I've been daydreaming about a new army for awhile now, I doubt it. Eucadians and Chernovans all the way, baby. :D

Top Bottom