• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Jaeyden

ChryZ said:
The new naming convention of the official servers sucks. Some people don't know what ping is and they randomly join games with free slots. I had a few 300-400ms guys on euro servers, needless to say ... they fucked up the whole game :(

I'm convinced that one super high ping can destroy an entire match. Seems like every time I get hit with invisible airmines or random suicides there is someone on the server with a ping of like 400+ and it also effects everyone on their team. I'll empty 2 clips of machine gun into someone and they won't die or have to hit someone with 3 homing missiles before they die.

CTF needs to be changed back to 30 minutes.

Edit: Did you notice the guy with the 602 ping in that last match we played together ChryZ?

I just started playing this game (after having it for 4+ months) and I can't put it down, it's so addicting, it does take some getting used to, but it's worth it.

Bleh, just had a bunch of mediocre games. I didn't do BAD, but I could have done much, much better. Lots of dumb mistakes and cheap kills against me. It actually felt like my playing style and skills had regressed back to when I first started playing the game. Maybe next time I won't play unless I'm in a competitive mood. It was pretty strange.

ChryZ

Jaeyden said:
Edit: Did you notice the guy with the 602 ping in that last match we played together ChryZ?
I was pretty irritated, but sorta blamed my 230ms oversea latency. So it wasn't entirely my problem, good to know.

artist

Banned
I'm at 685 pts but still an Airman. I also got the Team Bandit award, still it doesnt promote me to Airman 1st class .. wtf !

irfan said:
I'm at 685 pts but still an Airman. I also got the Team Bandit award, still it doesnt promote me to Airman 1st class .. wtf !

Hmm...dunno what might be wrong. Try getting the requirements for Bandit Teamwork again. It might not recognize the earlier one you got for some reason.

GodofWine

irfan said:

It doesn't always promote you instantly, its like the servers only go through and promote at certain times of the day(?). When I made Airman and Sargent it didn't promote me till I turned on the game the next day.

icechai

wow I haven't played for a while either and now they added Spire Shut In to LG CTF games, with BM vehicle and levels as well makes some prettttyyyy awesome 20 mins. Although I think they should make it to 25 min, there really has been almost no game that's hit the score limit yet.

2real4tv

don't know if this was posted but the confirmed resolution of WH is 1280x720 4xAA...pretty good:D

Iam surprised how much I enjoy this game when I first picked it up I was like meh but now its all I play on my ps3.

icechai said:
sorry jack no sound (gf sleeping), couldn't hear you :p

omg did i spot carlos in that last game?!

Maybe it's better that you couldn't hear me...I was getting pretty angry in some of those games. :D For example, on Eucadia, our team was dead-set on playing TDM, not CTF. Whenever I (or you, or anyone else) would grab the flag, some asshat would TOW the base, destroying any escape vehicle. While flying, I saw that BOTH TOW spawns had people just sitting on top of them.

The last game I played was on The Badlands with you and Carlos on the Eucadian team. You guys were dominating us. The end of that match couldn't come quick enough. I haven't played Warhawk in a few days, so I was a little rusty tonight. ;)

And as for that resolution, 2real4tv, I have no idea how good that is. I'm totally ignorant on resolution and tech stuff, so I'll just take your word for it that that resolution is good. :D

carlos

icechai said:
sorry jack no sound (gf sleeping), couldn't hear you :p

omg did i spot carlos in that last game?!

Yes indeed, playing for the first time in almost a month...I wasn't too rusty, just a couple of crashes against mountains that I could've done without, and perhaps a little difficulty aiming from WH to ground troops.

The headset's battery had discharged completely from lack of use, that's why I didn't talk.
Great to see some people out there, especially at this late hour (Jaeyden, Jackscofield, icechai) as well as a couple of others from my friendlist.

This thread has been kinda dead lately, huh?....

ChryZ

I'm still playing/grinding, 8500 points to the next rank and 17 medals so far.

The other day I joined a TDM, 9 player on a 20 something map. First we were 4vs5, the score was pretty even, but for whatever reason all my team mates left me and I ended up with 1vs4. They spawn camped from the air, but I was luck that the map setup was Destroyed Capitol "King of the Hill" so rpg and bio field were at hand. I turtled up in the center, took them out one by one, sometimes even 2-3 at once ... and won the game. Okay, those guys sucked but still :lol

Steroyd

carlos said:
This thread has been kinda dead lately, huh?....

Yes GTA is probably having a lasting effect, as well as other games coming, this month (MGS4 woo yay OMFG! Hubba hubba).
currently hyper addictaed to Everybody's Golf, so i'm not playing Warhawk as much. :/

Hopefully an increase in friendslist is on the cards, so i can have more people on my list to play with, i'm more of a "play if friends are on" kind of person.

Okay, what the fuck? Is anyone else having seriously laggy games today? In all the matches I was in, people were warping everywhere, and in-between spawns I would always get the "waiting for server" message. Logic dictates that I'm the one who's lagging, but my ping is only around 100 (even though it's usually lower than that), and other online functions (like the PSN store) work just fine.

No problems last night, but today has been a mess that probably has affected my stats. To make matters worse, it all culminated in a lock-up just a few minutes ago. Just brilliant. >:/

Played a few more games and they were as smooth as butter. Must have been a hiccup in my internet connection or something.

Nice to see you posting again, Sea Manky. I was wondering whether or not you forgot about this thread. :D

User 406

Banned
I've just been posting and reading more at the warhawk boards, but I still check this thread. I just haven't seen many gaffers lately.

Nice games, carlos and Jaeyden. My PS3 decided to lock-up midway through the Island Outpost match, just in case you noticed I was gone.

I always forget, do stats still upload in the event of a lock-up?

ChryZ

F-Pina said:
Hey, i got you Chryz but then you ran away :p
Your team already lost all bases when I joined in, no big deal. Shit happens. BUT at the start of the second game I hit start and there was lots of team switching going on, so I left after that match because people seemed not to be interested in balanced games.

Does any of you guys have downloaded version of Warhawk? I heard that some people have troubles with it (on GameFaqs boards)

I can't seem to find retail version with a headset for the life of me and I got this MP itch :)

So should I get downloadable version or wait for headset one (do I NEED headset)?

Also should I get both expansions right away or wait with them for now until I'm better with the game?
Thank you for your time!

slider

I got the DL'ed version and have had no issues with it (outside of normal server/ISP stuff).

I'd recommend getting a headset too. Otherwise you'll only ever go so far. The way I learned was by starting exclusively with DMs.

As for the DLC... I love both new maps. Have a look - if they're running an offer in your region and the money isn't an issue... take the plunge.

Awesome game. :D

Can I get any kind of headset? Does it play part in sound quality?

Any list of people I could add to my friends list? If anyone wants to add me my PSN name is:
Melhisedek__ (two lower "dash" I think it is called that way)

mintylurb

Melhisedek said:

Any list of people I could add to my friends list? If anyone wants to add me my PSN name is:
Melhisedek__ (two lower "dash" I think it is called that way)
Yes, pretty much any kind of usb/bt headset should work.

icechai

Melhisedek said:

I used to use plantronics which was great company for headsets, but then I got lazy of having things in my ear so I just use the PS Eye :p As far as expansions go, I would say play a couple of different game modes and see how you like it. It really is one of those games where people will either get hooked right away, or just enjoy it once in a while, in which case the expansions probably aren't worth it if you don't plan on playing this game more than the occassional 1-2 hour session.

slider

Euro servers seem kind of empty - I blame MGS4 (I'm switching between the two games).

Shame. All things in moderation people, Warhawk needs some attention.

ChryZ

slider said:
Euro servers seem kind of empty - I blame MGS4 (I'm switching between the two games).

I just finished playing some Warhawk and there are a bunch of full games for all modes on the EU servers.

Steroyd

slider said:

...Moderation?

You either play the game 24/7 or you don't (I stopped playing Everybody's Golf for 2 days and I can't stop thinking about, even through MGS4 play sessions.)

My time management with games has been off though, I seem to be a slow starter than get into a game hardcore as I play more.

slider

ChryZ said:
I just finished playing some Warhawk and there are a bunch of full games for all modes on the EU servers.

Must be just me then. In a list of 300/400 servers I usually narrow down to those with a ping below 100... and recently on those, for me at least, there aren't the usual spread of populated servers. I've probably just been unlucky though. I might try to get a snap if I think it continues!

Steroyd said:
...Moderation?

You either play the game 24/7 or you don't (I stopped playing Everybody's Golf for 2 days and I can't stop thinking about, even through MGS4 play sessions.)

My time management with games has been off though, I seem to be a slow starter than get into a game hardcore as I play more.

Really? I'm often jumping between games. I think it's cos I want them to last longer sometimes. But it also leads to a lot of unfinished games.

Anyway, it's all by the by - enjoy whatever you're playing chaps.

icechai

one thing that really annoys me from the "top clans" are most of them just play as ace pilots in the air. A trend is they never get out of their warhawks, they pretty much just go in stealth and come out to kill some people and then go back into stealth. If god forbid their team starts losing badly, they quit the game. Arrrrghhhh (i used to want to hunt them down as soon as they get out of stealth or nuke/lightning them, but it was cutting too much into the time of doing team objectives).

I've been debating getting this game, but are there still a lot of people still playing it?

I'm not sure how the stats / promotion system works, but if I buy the game now, will I be at any sort of disadvantage?

ChryZ

Iced_Eagle said:
I've been debating getting this game, but are there still a lot of people still playing it?

I'm not sure how the stats / promotion system works, but if I buy the game now, will I be at any sort of disadvantage?
There are plenty of people playing.

The only "disadvantage" is the learning curve, but there are newbie server and you can host your own private game to acquire basic skills.

icechai

Iced_Eagle said:

Yes, at least in Eastern America / Europe servers there's always a page of full 32 player servers and another of full 2x player servers. I don't really play smaller games than that so I wouldn't be able to tell you of the other ones, and I filter my servers so I don't see ones over a certain ping, so I can't really tell you about servers outside of my global area.

Stats / promotions just give you new skins for your character and aircraft. Like someone else said above, the only disadvantage is the learning curve, as it takes a bit to get used to the different way this game is played compared to other games. I'd attribute it more towards Tribes 2 type, where you need to be good at close encounters, but ultimately you need to see that goal on the other side of the map (and the best way to travel is by Warhawk). The scale of the maps is just on a whole different level than anything else on consoles out there.

Haven't played Warhawk for a few days; all my time is occupied by MGS4. Once I finish the game I'll head back over to Warhawk, though. Don't want to lose my skills. :D

slider

Iced_Eagle said:

Ignore my earlier comments. Not as many populated servers as I seem to recall from a few weeks back but you can still find a game at all sorts of levels: Beginner, Advanced and in-betweeny.

I just had a CTF game. God, people changing teams and quitting out is really annoying. I'm starting a one-man-campaign to jump teams the other way (for all the difference it'll make to the outcome), if people start doing that. Grrr.

ChryZ

I've just witnessed a bunch of hilarious CTF games.

Destroyed Capitol: both teams scored a capture and I managed to snatch their flag, BUT they got our flag in the meantime. So I was holding on to their flag on the upper floor, fighting off the other team with help from my team. It was a total drag, 5-10 min at least. All of a sudden I got attacked by the flag carrier of the other team. O_O No idea, if he wasn't aware of the fact that he was the flag carrier or if he was fed up with waiting, but he made it all the way to our camp. It was close but I killed him, recovered our flag and scored :lol

The next game was on Island Outpost, also CTF. Our team got dry humped for 99% of the time, but they were not able to get our flag. Literally in the last minute, I captured a nice path of bases, cleaned the tunnel from mines and made a run for their flag. To my surprise there was already one of our guys too. He took their flag, hopped into my 4x4 and we made it in one piece to our camp and scored in the last 10-20 sec :lol

Jaeyden

Jack Scofield said:
Haven't played Warhawk for a few days; all my time is occupied by MGS4. Once I finish the game I'll head back over to Warhawk, though. Don't want to lose my skills. :D

Same here...cept it's been PSP games and BF:BC (which by the way has really fun MP). Warhawk will always be a great "go to" game, I'll keep playing it until WH2 :D
Maybe we'll get PS3 2.40 or WH 1.40 soon to breathe some new life into the game.

So did I get riped of by Walmart for buying Warhawk for $60 and not getting the microphone? The Warhawk page on their website has a picture of the game box with "mic included "on it

icechai

Rahxephon91 said:
So did I get riped of by Walmart for buying Warhawk for $60 and not getting the microphone? The Warhawk page on their website has a picture of the game box with "mic included "on it

big time, especially since the online ver is only $40 (assuming you bought the retail in North America or Europe, it should have a headset)

Well walmart will get back to me about the mic issue are so they claim. Anyway, in spite of not being able to talk I am enjoying it. The warhawk controls are actually pretty good. The maps are really huge, maybe a little to huge. I do kinda wish the game had more ground combat as it seems that if you don't have a hawk your dead. Maybe its just the games I've been in though. There does seem to be a lot going on though.

Rahxephon91 said:
Well walmart will get back to me about the mic issue are so they claim. Anyway, in spite of not being able to talk I am enjoying it. The warhawk controls are actually pretty good. The maps are really huge, maybe a little to huge. I do kinda wish the game had more ground combat as it seems that if you don't have a hawk your dead. Maybe its just the games I've been in though. There does seem to be a lot going on though.

You can join servers that have smaller map layouts if you want. Just look for servers with "small" or "md" in their name (I think those are the designations, I may be wrong, though).

icechai

Rahxephon91 said:

diff vehicles are needed for diff situations. Tanks are used to great effect, so are jeeps, so are Warhawks. The winning team usually has a combination of vehicles in play supporting each other to accomplish their objective, and remember, a warhawk can fit 2 people, jeep can fit 3, tank can fit 2.

ChryZ

Rahxephon91 said:
The maps are really huge, maybe a little to huge. I do kinda wish the game had more ground combat as it seems that if you don't have a hawk your dead.
Play some Zones on Destroyed Capitol. All the bases are indoors, you're somewhat safe from Warhawks and taking/defending bases will involve some serious infantry fun.

Top Bottom