• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

icechai

the more I play the more I think they need to take the Warhawk engine and make a Macross or Transformers game (singe player or multi). Everything fits perfectly, hover mode would be hybrid mode and maybe you can lock on more missles, while turning into a robot takes a second longer and you can't go as fast, but you maneuver better and lock on even more missles. I go into hover mode so much these days that it just feels like those shows. :p

So my interweb woes are at long last a thing of the past and I am itching to get back in the game. I have but two problems; a) I suck, and b) I have no idea what's going on. Just what exactly is Hero mode anyway?

Oh, and do GAFers still play together regularly? If so, when?

ChryZ

freethought said:
So my interweb woes are at long last a thing of the past and I am itching to get back in the game. I have but two problems; a) I suck, and b) I have no idea what's going on. Just what exactly is Hero mode anyway?

Oh, and do GAFers still play together regularly? If so, when?
a) Practice make perfect, sort of. :lol
b) Hero and Collection were introduced with the 1.40 update. Click here for more details.

No big get togethers anymore. Some of us roll together at times.

ChryZ said:
a) Practice make perfect, sort of. :lol
b) Hero and Collection were introduced with the 1.40 update. Click here for more details.

No big get togethers anymore. Some of us roll together at times.

Ah, cheers. I was hiding when I was the Hero thinking I had to survive the time limit. Never even saw collection. BTW what are those red or green circles on the server list?

Shame about the lack of big meets. Has the gamebattles stuff died off too?

ChryZ

freethought said:
Ah, cheers. I was hiding when I was the Hero thinking I had to survive the time limit. Never even saw collection. BTW what are those red or green circles on the server list?

Hm, red or green circles? I'm not 100% sure, but they might indicate if the server is accessible/available to you. Like red, if the game is full or your rank is too high.

The gamebattle stuff was the main motivation for the meet ups, then we stopped with GB and people moved on to other games, took a break from warhawk or played it more casually.

Steroyd

freethought said:
Ah, cheers. I was hiding when I was the Hero thinking I had to survive the time limit.

It's people who think this that Hero mode sucks. >_<

It was supposed to be the mode where everyone backs the Hero, but people either hide in the safest place, or get gang raped on because no-one is backing the hero.

BTW what are those red or green circles on the server list?

I think it's expansion/no expansion... boy you have a crapload of stuff to buy online dude.

icechai

Steroyd said:
It's people who think this that Hero mode sucks. >_<

It was supposed to be the mode where everyone backs the Hero, but people either hide in the safest place, or get gang raped on because no-one is backing the hero.

The best thing to really do to win is for the team to hide from the enemy hero while killing off other enemy soldiers and have your team's hero in the thick of enemy swarms on foot.

Steroyd said:
I think it's expansion/no expansion... boy you have a crapload of stuff to buy online dude.

The Warhawk booster is d/ling as I type this and I'll get Gene as soon as I figure out Konami's moronic interface and try to remember a password I created months ago.

freethought said:

A red circle means that you cannot join the match for whatever reason, such as the match being full or you don't have a necessary expansion. Yellow means that you can join right now, but the map rotation includes an expansion you don't have.

User 406

Banned
Welcome back freethought! :D

Be aware that since 2.4 firmware, there's a problem with bluetooth headsets where they'll work fine for a round, then the mic will become inoperative, though you can still hear through the earpiece. The mic won't work again until you reset the machine. If you've got a USB headset or an Eyetoy, use it.

Sea Manky said:

Be aware that since 2.4 firmware, there's a problem with bluetooth headsets where they'll work fine for a round, then the mic will become inoperative, though you can still hear through the earpiece. The mic won't work again until you reset the machine. If you've got a USB headset or an Eyetoy, use it.

Good to be back, General Manky! I'm definitely a little rusty though. My voicechat problems are unfortunately on my end and I'm hitting a massive wall trying to get it working.

Really good playing with you again though, looking forward to getting on with a few more GAFers too. The game is as awesome as ever, I'd almost forgotten how hectic it could get. Hero mode seems to have potential for crazy encounters.

User 406

Banned
Had an amazing string of games in the expert FCTF server, there were BSK, GI, and BOW2 guys in there, and everyone was fighting like hell. FCTF is incredibly intense when you've got two good teams. :)

slider

If Warhawk 2 ever gets announced (God, I hope so!) or Incog/Santa Monica/Whoever moves onto something else or 1.5 hits I'd love to get a load of us together and see what's what.

I'm in the clan but have very rarely played with any of yous (and it always takes me a couple of rounds to warm up - so if you do see me sucking... be patient).

Cheers.

Median

Just picked up the game and played a round of deathmatch, knifing ensued. PSN name is Median23 if anyone wants to play. I'll probably be online this weekend.

chidrock

Sea Manky said:

Does anyone think that this will be fixed with the new update? I just got the game over the weekend, and this has been bugging me. I really would like to try something team-based besides Hero and Deathmatch, but the lack of mics seem to make it worthless.

By the way - I love the game and wish I hadn't waited so long to get it. The community's there, but I'm sure it would've been a lot better before.

My only other complaint is that I can't kill anyone on foot. Is it just me, or does it seem odd that it's so hard to kill someone running along on the ground? The machine gun feels worthless, but I sometimes get lucky with a pistol or 3 shots from a rocket launcher. The sniper's fun though!

____

chidrock said:
Does anyone think that this will be fixed with the new update? I just got the game over the weekend, and this has been bugging me. I really would like to try something team-based besides Hero and Deathmatch, but the lack of mics seem to make it worthless.

By the way - I love the game and wish I hadn't waited so long to get it. The community's there, but I'm sure it would've been a lot better before.

My only other complaint is that I can't kill anyone on foot. Is it just me, or does it seem odd that it's so hard to kill someone running along on the ground? The machine gun feels worthless, but I sometimes get lucky with a pistol or 3 shots from a rocket launcher. The sniper's fun though!

machine gun + grenade barrage = on-foot kill

oh, and BTW

Jetpacks and a new map "Tau Crater" confirmed! (for next update)

there are jetpack kill trophies and map-specific trophies included in the upcoming patch according to an article on ps3fanboy.com

____ said:
machine gun + grenade barrage = on-foot kill

oh, and BTW

Jetpacks and a new map "Tau Crater" confirmed! (for next update)

there are jetpack kill trophies and map-specific trophies included in the upcoming patch according to an article on ps3fanboy.com

Jetpacks! Nice, can't wait to try one out

edit: On a sidenote, I got my NAT Type to 2 but still no voice-chat. My mate works tech-support for my ISP and he reckons I may need a new router.

____

Bronze Trophies

* Secret Anti-Camper -- Kill an enemy in a Missile or Flak Turret after that enemy has achieved at least five kills in that type of turret.
* Secret Daredevil -- Get 100 feet off the ground in a ground vehicle. Does not count if the vehicle is being carried by a Dropship.
* Secret Hit List -- Kill every member of the opposing team at least once during a round.
* Secret Minesweeper -- Get killed by Proximity Mines five times in a single round.
* Secret Reckless -- Pilot Commit suicide in a Warhawk by running into your own Aerial Mine.
* Secret Vengeance -- Kill an enemy within 60 seconds of that enemy killing you.
* Secret What's That Green Line? -- Get killed by a Binoculars strike while piloting an aircraft.
* Anti-Air Ninja -- Shoot down a Warhawk with any infantry weapon other than a Rocket Launcher.
* Bandit Award -- Earn all in-game badges at Bandit level.
* Chief Sergeant -- Achieve a rank of Chief Sergeant.
* Collector -- Capture four cores at once in Collection mode.
* Combat Driver -- Complete Vehicle Combat Training.
* Cowboy -- Play a perfect Team Deathmatch (top player, no deaths).
* Dead-Eye -- Achieve a sniper kill from more than 2,500 feet away.
* Dumbfire -- Destroy an enemy aircraft with a dumbfired Swarm or Homing Missile.
* Emergency Evasion -- Break at least 6 simultaneous missile locks using Chaff.
* Enlistee -- Join a clan.
* Ground Pounder -- Complete Ground Combat Training.
* Hat Trick -- Get three flag captures in a single round of CTF.
* How Did You Do That? -- Destroy an enemy aircraft with a Cluster Bomb.
* Invincible -- While on foot, take at least 250 damage within 10 seconds without dying.
* Irony -- Kill an enemy with his own Proximity Mine.
* Lone Wolf -- Play a perfect Deathmatch (top player, no deaths).
* One In A Million -- Shoot down an enemy aircraft using the tank's main cannon.
* Overkill -- Destroy an enemy aircraft with a volley of 8 Swarm Missiles.
* Pilot's License -- Complete Warhawk Combat Training.
* Recognition of Merit -- Earn any five in-game medals
* Remote Pilot -- Destroy an enemy aircraft with a TOW Missile.
* Resourceful Driver -- Achieve a road kill and a .50 cal kill using the same 4x4, without dismounting.
* Rivalry -- Win a clan match (red server) as either clan leader or a regular member.
* Saboteur -- Destroy an enemy vehicle with the Field Wrench.
* Survivalist -- Survive for one minute as the hero in Hero mode.
* Tail Shaker -- Destroy an enemy aircraft with an Aerial Mine within 5 seconds of deploying it.
* Taxi Driver -- Help a teammate capture the flag (in CTF) or cogs (in Collection) by transporting him back to the base, using any vehicle.
* Warlord -- Create a clan and get nine other members to join. (Awarded at ten members while you are the clan leader.)
* World Victory -- Control all capturable bases in a Zones match, and reduce the enemy's home base to level 1.

Silver Trophies

* Secret Canyon -- Run Using a Warhawk, shoot down an enemy Warhawk in the central gorge in Vaporfield Glacier.
* Secret King of the Jungle Gym -- Retrieve the Proximity Mines from the top of the dome on the Omega Factory Rumble Dome layout.
* Secret Safety Violation -- Kill a distant enemy from on top of the salvage crane in Tau Crater.
* Aerial Ballet -- While flying a jetpack, kill an enemy (who is also flying a jetpack) with any weapon other than the Rocket Launcher.
* Are You Aim-Botting? -- Snipe an enemy who is flying a jetpack.
* Behind Enemy Lines -- Drive an APC into the enemy's home base, then have at least one teammate spawn into that APC.
* Commander -- Achieve a rank of Commander.
* Decorated Soldier -- Earn any 15 in-game medals.
* Flying Fortress -- Awarded to the driver and all six passengers of a fully-loaded Dropship.
* Giant Killer -- Shoot down an enemy Dropship while using a Warhawk.
* Lt. Colonel -- Achieve a rank of Lt. Colonel.
* Master Award -- Earn all in-game badges at Master level.
* Shield Breaker -- Break an enemy E-POD shield using the Lightning Shell.

Gold Trophies

* Bandwidth Donor -- Host a ranked dedicated server for four consecutive hours.
* Executive Honor -- Earn all in-game medals.
* General -- Achieve a rank of General.
* Porcupine -- Destroy an enemy Warhawk with the APC's E-POD shield.
* Surgical Strike -- Shoot down a Dropship with a Binoculars strike.
* That Was Some Bug -- Kill an enemy who is flying a jetpack by hitting him with any vehicle or aircraft.
* Warhawk Award -- Earn all in-game badges at Warhawk level.

Platinum Trophy

* Warhawk Supreme Achievement -- All your base trophies are belong to platinum.

Hopefully I can't get banned for this...

Good thing these trophies are retroactive, I've already gotten quite a few of them. It looks like the new map and vehicle update will bring me back into the game, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

By the way, does anyone have a link to the jetpack and "Tau Crater" announcement?

carlos

I'm gonna be on a business trip from tomorrow until Labor day, so please wait till I get back before you all forget about WH again ;p

I can only imagine getting the full dropship and 4 cores trophies (among others) while playing with people you know...

User 406

Banned
____ said:
lmao @ trophies for getting killed in special ways.

That's what I do best! :D

Also, as far as the retroactive trophies are concerned, I believe that applies only to the 10 trophies involving rank and awards. So it doesn't matter how many times you've nailed a warhawk with a tank shell, you'll have to do it one more time to get the trophy. :p

The hosting and clan leader/member trophies seem a bit unfair, there's plenty of people out there who can't host the minimum 8 players, and there's lots of established clans who aren't going to want to break up to earn these. As a way of encouraging community, these don't work too well.

And over on the Warhawk board, a lot of vets are throwing a huge fucking hissy fit about jetpacks, even though there's absolutely no confirmed information about it. Apparently everyone is just going to fly around in jetpacks all day and the game will be ruined. :|

Can someone put me back in the clan? I'm starting to get into this game again. Even though I'm sucking pretty badly at the moment. A lot of things have changed since I last played.

borsdy

Banned
Just bought the two addon packs :)

A good way to learn this game is to play in player servers huh? The way I understand it is that everyone is just playing purely for the fun of it because it doesn't effect rank/stats, right?

borsdy said:
A good way to learn this game is to play in player servers huh? The way I understand it is that everyone is just playing purely for the fun of it because it doesn't effect rank/stats, right?

Correct. Non-ranked player servers don't record stats. They're fun for a quick game or two, but once you realize that no one is taking it seriously or playing competitively it loses it's luster.

F-Pina

What's up with the jetpac?
Does anyone know if it is a weapon you grab like the wrench? Or a small vehicle?

Good or bad it will bring back memories of Tribes2 anyway :p

Huggers

Hey fellas, just came back to Warhawk after a long lay off, loving playing it more than ever, this game has got some serious legs. Anyway I had a clan invite, which I was pleased about, so when do we play? How do clan match ups work now on Warhawk?

F-Pina

Hey, yes it does has legs :)

Clan matchups have to be organized outside of the game. You can post messages in game for the clan regarding schedule for games, etc. but normally everybody meets up in a chat room and discusses strategys and maps. Most guys around here organize games just for fun with some gaf members, that at least ensures a fun ride with some good team work from everybody.

The NeoGaf clan has seen better days of activity. We haven't had an oficial match in a long time. Nevertheless most members are active.

Huggers

F-Pina said:
Hey, yes it does has legs :)

Clan matchups have to be organized outside of the game. You can post messages in game for the clan regarding schedule for games, etc. but normally everybody meets up in a chat room and discusses strategys and maps. Most guys around here organize games just for fun with some gaf members, that at least ensures a fun ride with some good team work from everybody.

The NeoGaf clan has seen better days of activity. We haven't had an oficial match in a long time. Nevertheless most members are active.

Ok man thanks for the info, I'd love to play some Warhawk with you guys, add me by all means, PSN ID: Huggers

User 406

Banned
Ceb said:
I still haven't quite figured out Collection mode yet... any pointers?

The part that a lot of people don't seem to get is that passing the cores to teammates doesn't prevent you from scoring points. You can drop your cores by pressing triangle so teammates can pick them up. If you pass even one core to a teammate, when that core is scored, you get credit for it and any cores that are scored along with it. The only thing that breaks the chain of core "ownership" is if it gets respawned or an enemy picks it up.

So, once everyone on your team gets that concept the basic idea is pretty simple, control the bases by the core spawns, grab them and take them back to your home base, give them all to one person to score as many as possible at a time. Your team gets 1 point for 1 core, 3 points for 2 cores, 6 points for 3 cores, and 10 points if all 4 cores are scored by one guy.

Other important tips:

If you kill an enemy with cores and you're deep in enemy territory, toss them into water or out of bounds so they'll respawn back at their spawn points. It's safer than trying to get back out on your own.

Since you can drop cores, don't hesitate to dump them and jump in a nearby warhawk if you come under attack. You can pick them up again after you drive off the enemy.

When you've got the cores and are ready to score, check to make sure you've got teammates standing by at the core spawns to pick up the next step first.

On certain maps, getting the fourth core can be a real problem if it spawns right by the enemy home base. Scoring three cores in short order can be better than holding on to three for a long time while your team fights to get that last core.

Find out who the clueful people are on your team in regards to scoring multiple cores. Give cores to them so they'll wait at home base for a bigger set..

If a clueless teammate runs in and scores a single core, don't just score the one or two you've got out of frustration, wait for someone to bring it back again. Or if that guy shows up again, toss your cores in front of him so he gets the idea. Remember, you'll still get credit if he scores them all.

User 406

Banned
Specifically, if you've had cores in your possession, you get the points when they are scored. So if you pick up a core, and you pass it to guy A, and he passes it to guy B, and guy B scores 3 cores, all three of you get points for scoring 3 cores. Note that if an enemy grabs the cores, the chain of ownership is reset, so you won't get credit if they're recovered and scored after that. So protect your core carriers!

Wait, we can drop cores - are flag drop back in the game?

I'll probably hop in with the new expansion. Been too busy making characters in Soul Calibur 4. Mmmmm. . . sexy busty amazon barbarian nuns.
27zhqx5.png

Loudninja

Warhawk v1.5 Update “Free Never Gets old!”
In our ever-changing world, a world where Brett Favre is now a Jet, things can happen very quickly! So it should be expected that another FREE Warhawk Update be released with equal quickness! :)

OMG…he’s a Jet…I still can’t get over it but, whatever.

We just released our v1.4 Update a month ago and we’re ready to upgrade our players to the latest version–Warhawk v1.5 which is tentatively scheduled for release on August 27th. We’re currently in the final phase of global Sony certification testing and all is looking good so far!

“Tell us Dylan…What’s in the latest Update???”
Custom In-Game Music

This feature was asked for by a bazillion players! Now players can use the XMB music player to play their own custom music. Warhawk will also detect if you are using the XMB player and automatically disable the in-game Warhawk music. Convenience for the win!

XMB Trophies

I have talked about this several times before so this is by no means new-news…especially with the recent leak of our full trophy list – gotta love the internets. BTW, the team and I are really flattered that someone would risk their job to leak confidential info about our game — Makes us feel good in a weird kinda way.

Anyhoo….

There are 56 trophies included in the Warhawk v1.5 Update. These also include trophies for the booster packs, some of the trophies are, or rather *were*, hidden and some are retroactive based on your server-side stats. Here are just a few of the trophies that are included.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/08/11/warhawk-v15-update-“free-never-gets-old”/#more-1120

More new things in the link!

Jaeyden said:
Sooooo, parachutes confirmed? LOL...Awesome update incoming!:D :D

Hopefully it's only for Warhawk passengers. I can already imagine people bailing out of Warhawks every single time they're about to lose a dogfight.

Trevelyan

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
Hopefully it's only for Warhawk passengers. I can already imagine people bailing out of Warhawks every single time they're about to lose a dogfight.
I'd imagine the jetpack will be a pick-up, and you'd only be able to bail from a warhawk if you have one equipped.

But God, the A/C needs to be fixed in my house cause im fucking dying to play this again!! That and having no A/C in the middle of summer in florida really really sucks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, can't fucking wait.

Trevelyan said:
I'd imagine the jetpack will be a pick-up, and you'd only be able to bail from a warhawk if you have one equipped.

Yeah, I agree with you, but I was speaking as if the hint was about parachutes. It would seem pretty redundant for Dylan Jobe to hint about jetpacks since they're all but confirmed. :D

Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to the update. Can't wait!

Has anybody gotten in on the Playstation Nation guys Warhawk Wednesdays shindig?

I'm interested in partaking of a regularly scheduled Warhawk match. Also if there are any GAFlings currently not in the clan, maybe we could start a splinter clan for such an endeavor?

Top Bottom