• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sea Manky said:
OH FUCK SHITBITCH

Since I suck at not dying, I've been practicing being a KDR whore for the last couple days in DM servers so I could take a shot at the Lone Wolf trophy (win a deatmatch without dying).

So I'm fucking around with a couple guys in a DM dogfight server pregame, it ends, AND I GET THE FUCKING TROPHY

THAT SHOULDN'T COUNT

I WANT A DO-OVER

<cries>
Yea, pre-game counts, i got one that way too... i forget which.

any room in the gaf clan? invite AndysPants.

deepbrown

Ceb said:
I'll probably make this a quiet weekend at home, so I'm available for hosting. If we're predominantly US people though, I'm guessing you'd get a bit better ping rates from a local.
I is not American! >_<

And Manky...why are you always logged into Warhawk, but never playing? Are you trying to fold@home in Warhawk? :lol

DireStr8s

I always wondered why lock on missles seemed impossible for me to scrub. I thought I wasn't being evasive enough or something. It turns out they are quite easy to scrub. Offline. My internet was down for six days, so I spent alot time running that target course in the tutorial. I found out I'm pretty good at losing those damn lock-ons; even ones approaching head on & @ close distances.

The problem is none of my dodge ability translates online. I know live pilots are far more crafty and liable to boost up close for thier shots, but I keep a pretty close eye on my mini-map & can generally see them coming. I just can't scrub their locks. Ever. Or, I'll lose the lock on my hud & a second later take the hit anyway. Either I really just SUCK, or I'm getting fucked by the the internet.

Additionally, after over 200 hours invested in WH I still can't kill a damn thing with that rifle.

Sorry for the whine, but I needed to vent.

User 406

Banned
deepbrown, I have a toddler to take care of, so when he gives me an opportunity to play, I like being able to jump right in without having to boot up or wait through loading screens. :p

nickslicl, watch this. Once you've gotten the hang of it, you can tighten up the rhythm to dodge without changing your intended flight path that much.

I found after playing a particularly tricky foe in the air that it counts to always grab the cloaking power up. You can shake or chaff the missile lock, then cloak and burn your way out of the danger zone.

This guy I was trying to shoot down was using this tactic to evade constantly. I couldn't nail him for squat.

I adopted that tactic, and it's worked really well. It's also good for pesky jetpack users.

DireStr8s

Thanks for the link Manky. I saw that vid awile back.

And, like I said, I can break those those locks all day on the practise course. It's online where I think I'm getting (all too frequently)screwed out of legitimate scrubs due to lag, ping, whatever. Not everytime, of course; many times I'm just fucked! But, those situations I can deal with and learn from.

Anyway, thanks again & hope to play with you guys soon*

* local split-screen @ my place:D

Alright, in an effort to see if I can host 24 players, I just created a server named "#GAF_ALL_WELCOME". Some CTF matches, a dogfight, and some more. Ranked, I think. Hopefully normal internet use on the computer won't cause any problems within the game.

Please join!

Well, that was a bust. :lol Maybe people need more heads-up time? I can host a server this Saturday if Gaffers would like to play together. Just give me some suggestions for game modes.

ChryZ

Jack Scofield said:
Well, that was a bust. :lol Maybe people need more heads-up time? I can host a server this Saturday if Gaffers would like to play together. Just give me some suggestions for game modes.
All modes, all booster packs!

deepbrown

Sea Manky said:
deepbrown, I have a toddler to take care of, so when he gives me an opportunity to play, I like being able to jump right in without having to boot up or wait through loading screens. :p

nickslicl, watch this. Once you've gotten the hang of it, you can tighten up the rhythm to dodge without changing your intended flight path that much.
Think of the environment Manky! :p It takes like 10 seconds to turn on your PS3 and auto load Warhawk.

ChryZ said:
All modes, all booster packs!

Okay, I'll set-up a dedicated server tomorrow afternoon, probably around 1:00 PST. Hopefully it won't be laggy for you guys.

Since I hardly ever play Hero or Collection, what should the scoring limits be? I don't want to go too high or too low.

EDIT: Okay, I have a server set-up right now if anyone wants to join. "#GAF_ALL_WELCOME." A practice for tomorrow, I guess. The playlist right now isn't as varied as I would like it to be, so give me some suggestions if you'd like.

Island Outpost - CTF - Installation**
Archipelago - Zones - Island Warfare***
The Badlands - Collection - Supply Chain**
Destroyed Capitol - TDM - Dogfight
Tau Crater - CTF - Eastern Shore
Eucadia - Hero - Summit Command***

It's dedicated ranked, and I'll try to keep it up for the majority of the night.

ChryZ

Jack Scofield said:
EDIT: Okay, I have a server set-up right now if anyone wants to join. "#GAF_ALL_WELCOME."
Sorry, I was drained last night and had to catch some sleep. The list looks very nice though. Enable team switching, so that we can balance stuff on the fly.

ChryZ said:
Sorry, I was drained last night and had to catch some sleep. The list looks very nice though. Enable team switching, so that we can balance stuff on the fly.

I have team-switching enabled, but I also have balanced teams enabled. Hopefully that's fine.

I really hope people join the server tomorrow. We could use another Gaf get-together, but this thread has been pretty dead lately, so I'm not sure how many people actually will be aware of this. It would also be nice to find out if I can successfully host a 24-player server.

ChryZ

Jack Scofield said:
I have team-switching enabled, but I also have balanced teams enabled. Hopefully that's fine.

I really hope people join the server tomorrow. We could use another Gaf get-together, but this thread has been pretty dead lately, so I'm not sure how many people actually will be aware of this. It would also be nice to find out if I can successfully host a 24-player server.
Ingame xmb, we're going to spam the folks on our friend lists until they join.

slider

Jack Scofield said:
Okay, I'll set-up a dedicated server tomorrow afternoon, probably around 1:00 PST.

Around 9pm GMT? I'm in. In fact, rather tragically, I've cancelled plans (going out drinking) so I can get my ass whopped online.

Rock and roll.

Steroyd

Hmmm i'd be able to play 10PM at the earliest, and I have yet to get the new booster pack still (I'm lazy can't be arsed).

Why does the stats say that the last time I played was July... THE STATS ARE LYING FFS. :mad:

User 406

Banned
When you set it up, could you make it a clan server with GAF as both teams? We'll see how that pans out for the Rivalry trophy. I'll send PSN messages to clan members too.

Sea Manky said:
When you set it up, could you make it a clan server with GAF as both teams? We'll see how that pans out for the Rivalry trophy. I'll send PSN messages to clan members too.

Does that mean only clan members can join? I'll do it, but I'm not sure if enough gaffers will be playing to fill an entire server.

User 406

Banned
I'm running behind today, so I might be an hour late or so. If the clan server doesn't fill up, we can try open too. Are you playing, Jack?

Sea Manky said:
I'm running behind today, so I might be an hour late or so. If the clan server doesn't fill up, we can try open too. Are you playing, Jack?

No, I set up a dedicated ranked server, so I'll have to sit out for today. I also decided to leave the server openy. If everything goes well, then I can set-up a clan server sometime next week if everyone is up for it.

Also, THE SERVER IS UP, GUYS! An hour early, no less! :) Name is "#GAF_ALL_WELCOME".

Island Outpost - CTF - Installation**
Archipelago - Zones - Island Warfare*
The Badlands - Collection - Supply Chain**
Destroyed Capitol - TDM - Dogfight
Tau Crater - CTF - Eastern Shore
Eucadia - Hero - Summit Command***

Have fun! Hopefully lag is minimum.

decon

Could I get an invite into the clan. I want trophies :(

God I hate people not getting the rules of core collecting. We were 3 guys in a 4x4, each one with a core, I drop my core as the only person, no one picks it up... well actually one of the two other guys picked it up AFTER he scored for his single core. I was shouting into the mic trying to tell them what to do. They probably didn't hear because of the mic bug though :(

Btw I am the only one having problems hearing what people are saying? There's just weird noises. It's on the UK servers, and I live in Denmark so there shouldn't really be a problem?

Ceb

Does the server have any allocated friend slots? I'll probably try jumping on 30 minutes to an hour from now.

Doesn't seem to be a very big turnout today. Ah well, maybe next time I'll exclude expansions and lower the player limit to 12 or so.

For those who played, how was the lag? Good, bad, unbearable?

F-Pina

Hey, nice games today.
I had always over 300 :( Dificult to kill Sea Manky on foot like this :)
Won the achievement of running against my own mine in Dog Fight TDM :p

slider

ugh- had a bit of a shocker today. i'll make my excuses later when i'm on my pc. some of you guys are beasts!

thanks for the server jack - lag was fine and i'm uk.

Agent X

Jack Scofield said:
Doesn't seem to be a very big turnout today. Ah well, maybe next time I'll exclude expansions and lower the player limit to 12 or so.

For those who played, how was the lag? Good, bad, unbearable?

I was in there briefly. I only played one game, though, as I only have the first of the three expansions, and the game after that required one I don't yet have.

I didn't noticed any problems with lag.

Glad to hear you guys had a good time, despite some poor option selections on my part. Let me know if you guys ever want another get-together, and I'll be more than willing to host another server, provided that we all contribute to the gamemodes and map rotations. :)

And I need to add some of you guys, like F-Pina, decon, slider, and others in this thread. I could always use more PSN friends, especially those who play Warhawk.

slider

Jack Scofield said:
Glad to hear you guys had a good time, despite some poor option selections on my part. Let me know if you guys ever want another get-together, and I'll be more than willing to host another server, provided that we all contribute to the gamemodes and map rotations. :)

And I need to add some of you guys, like F-Pina, decon, slider, and others in this thread. I could always use more PSN friends, especially those who play Warhawk.

Pfff, no one's complaining - at least they shouldn't be!

I'm not a whizz in a WH so my vote would defo be against any dogfight exclusive maps! And I'm a little old skool in that, as good as Hero and Collection are, I prefer CTF and Zones.

That being said, I'd love more of us to get together in the future - despite my BT headset no longer working (c'mon the official one) it's the teamwork that really gets me off.

Cheers to all. Although I now do hate ChryZ! :)

PS: I'm hank_scorpio if anyone wants to add me - although I'm always available through the clan.

carlos

Same here as agent x, only have the first expansion, so I could only get in on the dogfight level :(

Lag was fine, I've learned to live with the inevitable hiccups here and there; great seeing everyone again :)

Sorry I couldn't make it, I had an epic session on MGO with Steroyd and a few other GAFfers but it meant nothing to me, I swear! :lol

If you're doing it again tomorrow I'll hop on. You have to put at least one BM layout on though, jetpacks are just too awesome. If you're going to buy one expansion, make it that one.

edit: Nice to see Manky still terrorising GAFfers. I remember him when he was just a lowly command sergeant, he was still a nightmare in the air.:lol

Atrus

Gold Member
So I'm getting back into the game after a hiatus but for some reason I get a network error after awhile. Sometimes I'll get to actually complete a game or two but it never ceases to disconnect at some point. I don't think I've played more than 3 games before I get booted.

Is anyone else having this problem? Did they change something?

decon

mintylurb said:
No. If you're using a bt headset, try switching to a usb one.
I don't have a USB headset and I won't be buying one. I got a game that came with a headset. That should be enough really.

Top Bottom