• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

deepbrown

Sea Manky said:
We never got out of pregame, so for the most part I was screwing around and being a jackass. :X

TTP and Jayeden are still on, we had a nice TDM dogfight in pregame.

Come on people, join in and fuck around with your clan mates!
Pregame is the same as full game as far as I'm concerned. I get really pissed off when I'm playing a pregame for 25minutes and then the 8th person joins. I HATE IT!

Yes you were just using the binoculars...until i found you and killed you :D

User 406

Banned
Bah, everyone left. I'll just play with myself then. :(

Hopefully more of you will be interested in playing later. The server's up til 6pm EST now!

Grayman

I always sleep this late so the timing is bad for me.

My dad is on the tv and I have a NAT problem("upgraded" our modem from telus and the router in it doesn't play with the ps3 Upnp and DMZ fail to work). Though, If you keep running GAF servers I'll eventually come to one.

Sea Manky said:
Bah, everyone left. I'll just play with myself then. :(

Hopefully more of you will be interested in playing later. The server's up til 6pm EST now!

I know I tried to play you and that other guy. Pah. 2 vs 1 is not all that great. :D

Foil

I'll try to jump on at some point today if there's a server up. I don't have the expansions yet thanks to no PSN cards and my mic has pretty much died. However I can hear everyone clearly through the TV speakers so I can follow orders.

Tip: Don't get in a Warhawk with me unless you want to die.

Company is looking to watch something on the tv soon, so I am going to shut the server down at the end of the current game (in about 10 minutes). I am glad to see that there is a real game going on right now.

Oni Jazar

I joined at the last couple of mins and didn't get the rivaly trophy. I did get the one where I blow myself up with my own landmine though. Jeez right when I join I become the hero. lol

If we need a host I can handle a a good number.

User 406

Banned
Okay, so it works. We should do this clan server again. :D

Oni: If you feel like hosting now, I'm down. :D Just make it a clan server and set both teams to "NeoGAF Forums".

User 406

Banned
Oni: An assortment is good, just stay away from the booster packs since not everyone has them all.

Hmmm, I wonder if the trophy only goes to the top player then? That would suck.

Edit: DURRRRRRRRR Guess we'll need to fight another clan then. :p

CSSer

Shouldn't the rivalry trophy be awarded to the winner of two clans facing off? It wouldn't be right if we could get it under one clan.

I need help and tips on how to kill ground troops with the Warhawks and how to kill anything with the lightning gun. Those are the only things missing for me to get the bandit award trophy.

I basically just try to shoot ground units but I don't seem to do any damage to them, I throw missiles, cluster bombs, etc...sometimes I kill them, but 4 in one round seems kind of impossible to me, I think the most I've ever gotten was 2 and that was luck and more often than not the troop guy ends up killing me :lol

With the lighting gun I just try to charge and shoot on tanks, or jeeps, or people or whatever, I've never been able to hit a Warhawk with that thing and I don't know if they follow the Warhawk like other missiles. I've been able to get a total of 3 kills with the lightning gun, unfortunately on 3 different rounds lol

I still suck at flying but I've gotten decent enough where I can evade some missiles and stuff like that, I still get way more deaths than kills though, so any help or strategy would be appreciated.

Damn, I suck at Hero. Of course, I kinda just suck in general. I'm not even all that clear on how the scoring works in that mode. I prefer to play CTF mostly. At least then all my deaths don't directly affect the team score

Kinda short, is the dedicated server down? :(

Sorry I had no mic on, it's too late for me to speak loudly at home.

TelemachusD said:
Damn, I suck at Hero. Of course, I kinda just suck in general. I'm not even all that clear on how the scoring works in that mode. I prefer to play CTF mostly. At least then all my deaths don't directly affect the team score
Yes, same here. I need to read on how to play Hero.

Foil

TelemachusD said:

I usually just run around like a crazy person while being the hero trying to kill anyone in my sights. I usually die everytime but I take down people with me. lol. I think you get points for killing the hero, killing as the hero, and killing the opposite hero as the hero. Not sure, I don't play that mode too often.

I don't know who I was fighting with over the middle spawn point in that last game but congrats for killing me again and again. I finally just gave up and spawned elsewhere. :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
AranhaHunter said:
I need help and tips on how to kill ground troops with the Warhawks and how to kill anything with the lightning gun. Those are the only things missing for me to get the bandit award trophy.

I basically just try to shoot ground units but I don't seem to do any damage to them, I throw missiles, cluster bombs, etc...sometimes I kill them, but 4 in one round seems kind of impossible to me, I think the most I've ever gotten was 2 and that was luck and more often than not the troop guy ends up killing me :lol

With the lighting gun I just try to charge and shoot on tanks, or jeeps, or people or whatever, I've never been able to hit a Warhawk with that thing and I don't know if they follow the Warhawk like other missiles. I've been able to get a total of 3 kills with the lightning gun, unfortunately on 3 different rounds lol

I still suck at flying but I've gotten decent enough where I can evade some missiles and stuff like that, I still get way more deaths than kills though, so any help or strategy would be appreciated.

On lightning gun: I used to do same as you, try the charge thing, then I learned that its a fantastic anti Warhawk close range weapon. Line up behind a Hawk, and the small circle reticule for MG will turn red, then get closer and the whole reticule will be red, when its all red, tap the lightning gun, 3-4 bursts combined with MG bursts kills a warhawk. It takes some practice to keep up with a hawk, but once you can sneak in close enough, he is done in about 3-4 seconds. Once I learned that, I got 6 LG kills in one round. And before I learned it it took me about a week of trying to kill stuff with the stupid full charge of lightning to get that badge with no success. Credit goes to the official Warhawk board, they have a good FAQ on all the weapons.

Oni Jazar

That was fun. I never played the token game before. I've gotta stop for now i've got a killer headache.

Thanks SeaManky for giving me the Saboteur trophy. :D

Damn network error. I was having fun there. a full GAF complement. I haven't seen that since launch. Hopefully my connection will be a bit better behaved next time. Any plans for tomorrow?

edit: Warhawk without voicechat makes me sad. I need a decent router and Sony need to fix BT support, quickly.

User 406

Banned
god damn, its 8 fuckin PM already? I've been playing since 11 this morning. :X

And only one full game. XD

But that was was a lot of fun getting some time in with just GAFfers, screwing around and getting practice. We should do this regularly. :D

User 406

Banned
I'm sorry. ;_;

And for those of you confused on how to play Hero, only kills involving the hero count towards your team's score. If the hero kills the enemy hero, your team gets 3 points. If the hero kills an enemy peon, your team gets 1 point. And if a peon kills the enemy hero, your team gets 1 point. So basically, the hero's job is to go forth and kick ass, and everyone else either provides support for him or stays the hell away from the enemy hero. :p

andydumi said:
On lightning gun: I used to do same as you, try the charge thing, then I learned that its a fantastic anti Warhawk close range weapon. Line up behind a Hawk, and the small circle reticule for MG will turn red, then get closer and the whole reticule will be red, when its all red, tap the lightning gun, 3-4 bursts combined with MG bursts kills a warhawk. It takes some practice to keep up with a hawk, but once you can sneak in close enough, he is done in about 3-4 seconds. Once I learned that, I got 6 LG kills in one round. And before I learned it it took me about a week of trying to kill stuff with the stupid full charge of lightning to get that badge with no success. Credit goes to the official Warhawk board, they have a good FAQ on all the weapons.

Yeah that sounds like a good strategy, albeit a bit confusing....so you're saying to shoot the machine gun and just shoot the lighting gun, without charging, at other Warhawks? Does that strategy work on ground units and tanks and jeeps as well?

deepbrown

Sea Manky said:
I'm sorry. ;_;

And for those of you confused on how to play Hero, only kills involving the hero count towards your team's score. If the hero kills the enemy hero, your team gets 3 points. If the hero kills an enemy peon, your team gets 1 point. And if a peon kills the enemy hero, your team gets 1 point. So basically, the hero's job is to go forth and kick ass, and everyone else either provides support for him or stays the hell away from the enemy hero. :p
I never stay away from the enemy hero...I always kill it. :)

F-Pina

Nice games yesterday, very few people though :(

In hero i was trying to go after everyone but with 400 ping when i ear the warning of incoming missiles it means i already got them :p I release chaff but it doesn't make any difference hehe.
So i stayed put in the ground trying to lure you guys in :D

User 406

Banned
deepbrown said:
I never stay away from the enemy hero...I always kill it. :)

Yeah, that's very action movie cool and all, but all the losing Hero games I've been in have been because my teammates thought it was a good idea to charge at the enemy hero on the ground as if he were any other foot soldier. :p I go after the enemy hero too, but it's either in a warhawk where I know I can stay behind him, or from a distance.

slider

It's good to play with you guys. Hopefully I'll get a new BT headset soon (or maybe even a USB one) cos the current one is way too patchy to use.

Sea Manky and others, feel free to post your thoughts on how the games we've played so far have played out. Y'know, if you saw someone making the same mistakes over & over. In Hero I did think to myself "hmm, I may get killed whilst Hero yet again... but screw it... I'm having fun!"

I must say, PlayerBeyond(?) is an amazing pilot. Scarily so.

Tntnnbltn

slider said:
Sea Manky and others, feel free to post your thoughts on how the games we've played so far have played out. Y'know, if you saw someone making the same mistakes over & over.
I recognised the mistake I kept making...... I kept dying.

Solution: I stayed the fuck away from deepbrown

slider

Tntnnbltn said:
I recognised the mistake I kept making...... I kept dying.

Solution: I stayed the fuck away from deepbrown

You and me both. But, actually, I think we were on separate teams. Someone needs to teach deepbrown a lesson. I think that person will have to be... me?

Despite the new expansion I find myself a) not using the jetpack that much (at least not as much as I expected I would) and b) inadvertantly avoiding Tau Crater.

User 406

Banned
slider said:
It's good to play with you guys. Hopefully I'll get a new BT headset soon (or maybe even a USB one) cos the current one is way too patchy to use.

Sea Manky and others, feel free to post your thoughts on how the games we've played so far have played out. Y'know, if you saw someone making the same mistakes over & over. In Hero I did think to myself "hmm, I may get killed whilst Hero yet again... but screw it... I'm having fun!"

I think the only thing I noticed was a bit of poor coordination in some of the collection rounds. One time we had all four cores back at the base and one guy scored 3 even though the guy with the fourth was right there too.

Other than that there's not much that can be easily judged since it was almost all just pregames and we were horsing around so much. Normally I focus a lot more on taking bases and controlling the battlefield, instead of just randomly dogfighting or sneaking around and acting the prick. So I can't really say that people weren't doing things right when I wasn't either. :p

In the one full Hero game we had, we had a lot of monsters in the air, so a bit of hero camping there was not a bad idea.

Hopefully we can get more full game scrimmages and work on things.

>____>

<____<

slider

Sea Manky said:
One time we had all four cores back at the base and one guy scored 3 even though the guy with the fourth was right there too.

Heh, I think that was me unfortunately. But only cos a WH had zoomed in and started pounding our base. I thought better three than none.

>____>

<____<

We were mainly on the same team, hence the lack of comment!

User 406

Banned
slider said:
We were mainly on the same team, hence the lack of comment!

Sorry, inside joke. Every time I tell PlayerBeyond he's one of our top guys, he starts in with that damn emoticon. :p Yeah, he's a beast.

CSSer

slider said:

>________> I suck really really bad as a pilot.... trust me; always lose targets, can't turn fast/evade at all, avoid dogfights at all cost

slider

CSSer said:
>________> I suck really really bad as a pilot.... trust me; always lose targets, can't turn fast/evade at all, avoid dogfights at all cost

>____>

<____<

Dude, I got you once. Once, dammit! And that was with a mine on a WH I think.
Yes!

Incidentally, any advice on the following issue would be appreciated. I keep finding I'll sometimes get WHs to within a few bars of dying and they'll evade me.

Is this pilots only taking serious evasive action when they're in danger? Or, more likely, do I have a fear of success? Some sort of mental issue because my parents used to beat me when I used to fail at Tetris.

It's very frustrating. I've rationalised it to myself by thinking the enemy is slowly pulling away from my onslaught and at the crucial point I find they're too far away... :-\

Actually, I think I need a little more stick-to-it-tiveness.

BeeDog

Is there a game going on later today, if yes what GMT+1 time?

Also, earlier during the morning I tried to grab as many trophies as I could. Is it possible to get these trophies while splitscreening?:

Lone Wolf (play perfect deathmatch, first & no deaths)
Cowboy (play perfect TDM, first & no deaths)
Emergency Evasion (break at least 6 locked missiles with a chaff)
World Victory (Control all capturable bases in a Zones match, and reduce the enemy's home base to level 1)

Also, has everyone here gotten the Warlord trophy yet (create clan with 9 people joining)? If people are missing it, it'd be swell if people could help each other out with it.

Sorry for the trophy hijack.

User 406

Banned
slider said:
>____>

<____<

Dude, I got you once. Once, dammit! And that was with a mine on a WH I think.
Yes!

See what I mean? :p

Incidentally, any advice on the following issue would be appreciated. I keep finding I'll sometimes get WHs to within a few bars of dying and they'll evade me.

Is this pilots only taking serious evasive action when they're in danger? Or, more likely, do I have a fear of success? Some sort of mental issue because my parents used to beat me when I used to fail at Tetris.

It's very frustrating. I've rationalised it to myself by thinking the enemy is slowly pulling away from my onslaught and at the crucial point I find they're too far away... :-\

Actually, I think I need a little more stick-to-it-tiveness.

Many pilots do go into RUN AWAY RUN AWAY evasive mode when they're down to low health, it's only natural. There's a couple things you can do about it.

First, keep honing your following skills. The more you dogfight the better you'll get at following the enemies' turns in the air, even when they leave your view. Pay attention to their contrails. And if they're just spazzing the hell out trying to avoid you, slow down to make it easier to get them in your sights. When they finally break and run, use your boost bar judiciously to keep the enemy in range, three short boosts can work out better than one long one.

Second, try changing your weapon tactics. Instead of hitting them with a big attack and then trying to get the last bit of health, first whittle them down a bit while they're still healthy and complacent, then get in close to nail them with a homing missile as a finisher.

A lot of it is really just experience and practice.

slider

Thanks Sea Manky, all pretty obvious. I'd been sort of following those guidelines already. Just not very well. The use of the right weapon at the right time is crucial of course. 5% of the time I'll use homing missile but the rest of the time I find I'm usually unleashing 5/6 swarm missiles.

Practice, practice, practice.

Heh, Incog should introduce "no-fly-zones". That'd be interesting. :)

Top Bottom