• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

CSSer

slider said:
Dude, I got you once. Once, dammit! And that was with a mine on a WH I think.
Yes!

Blah hank_scorpio; you got me lots of times yesterday in that hero game with your flamethrower. Stop killing me :(

deepbrown

Sea Manky said:
Yeah, that's very action movie cool and all, but all the losing Hero games I've been in have been because my teammates thought it was a good idea to charge at the enemy hero on the ground as if he were any other foot soldier. :p I go after the enemy hero too, but it's either in a warhawk where I know I can stay behind him, or from a distance.
Ditto. I do know what I'm doing :D (most of the time) ....and I usually go after heros who don't know what they are doing lol.

AndyD

aka andydumi
AranhaHunter said:
Yeah that sounds like a good strategy, albeit a bit confusing....so you're saying to shoot the machine gun and just shoot the lighting gun, without charging, at other Warhawks? Does that strategy work on ground units and tanks and jeeps as well?

I dont know if the short burst works on other vehicles. But it does not work on ground troops. But yes, use the LG as a MG just remember that its range is even shorter, although it is much more powerful.

You can set up a local game in split screen if you have a second controller, and just practice the range and the destructability with a hovering hawk for your second controller.

AndyD

aka andydumi
deepbrown said:
Ditto. I do know what I'm doing :D (most of the time) ....and I usually go after heros who don't know what they are doing lol.

The biggest mistake is people who assume that by hiding and surviving as hero they benefit the team. I wish Incog put a good manual in the game teaching the modes and the controls for new vehicles (like people who don't know how to boost in the APC).

slider

andydumi said:
The biggest mistake is people who assume that by hiding and surviving as hero they benefit the team. I wish Incog put a good manual in the game teaching the modes and the controls for new vehicles (like people who don't know how to boost in the APC).

:lol

I still don't know how to honk my horn in the jeep. For shame.

andydumi said:

My whole strategy as the hero was based on the trophy (survive). I had no idea the hero is souped-up.

deepbrown

I have a couple of questions.

When and why did they change the button for beeping your horn.

When and why did they remove capturing bases/zones as points for your team in TDM? It's only kills now - didn't used to be that way.

Why is that I can only play some of my stored HDD music in WH, but not the rest? (I can play it on the dashboard and in Stardust etc.)

Yeah, the hero gets more hit points and does more damage, plus he comes fully loaded with all weapons. So if you respawn as the hero then survive the entire minute you just netted yourself all of the pickups.

Hello folks, just got my PS3 back from repair and they wiped the whole HD clean :( So I need some nice people to play with :)

PSN name : Melhisedek__ (2 underscore lines)

User 406

Banned
deepbrown said:
I have a couple of questions.

When and why did they change the button for beeping your horn.

It's different now? I just hit the shoulder button and it beeps. Or did they switch which one does it?

When and why did they remove capturing bases/zones as points for your team in TDM? It's only kills now - didn't used to be that way.

Because it's team deathmatch, not team basetaking. :p I like this change, because it makes the battlefield control support for the killing, instead of the main way to score points. I also hated how I'd take bases, and then the enemy would take them back because my team wouldn't hold them, and we'd somehow end up losing out in the deal. :/

I don't recall exactly when they did this one, but it was a patch or two before 1.5.

Why is that I can only play some of my stored HDD music in WH, but not the rest? (I can play it on the dashboard and in Stardust etc.)

No clue, all of mine works. Do you have different codecs for some tracks? If so, try converting them to the same as the ones that work. I use AAC or MP3 for everything.

deepbrown

Sea Manky said:
It's different now? I just hit the shoulder button and it beeps. Or did they switch which one does it?

Because it's team deathmatch, not team basetaking. :p I like this change, because it makes the battlefield control support for the killing, instead of the main way to score points. I also hated how I'd take bases, and then the enemy would take them back because my team wouldn't hold them, and we'd somehow end up losing out in the deal. :/

I don't recall exactly when they did this one, but it was a patch or two before 1.5.

No clue, all of mine works. Do you have different codecs for some tracks? If so, try converting them to the same as the ones that work. I use AAC or MP3 for everything.
I think they swapped the shoulders.

Well that's true...but I think there was some tactics involved in it all...I quite like jumping from base to base and then killing whoever tried to capture it.

Well the thing is - all of the different types work (even WMA) but not all the albums. Tis very weird - I can't see a link at all. And they all play elsewhere. So why should WH be different?

Oni Jazar

I haven't been able to get any WMAs or PCM (MP3s bought from Amazon) to work. :/

BTW the Gaf clan really needs to get the last map as a group. Playing over the weekend was fun, but jetpacks makes everything even better.

User 406

Banned
Oh, almost forgot, I finished the Omega Factory map.

Low quality sample:
Attrition.jpg

As before, the maps are archived in GIMP, Photoshop, and flat jpegs. The jpegs show everything, but with the GIMP/PS files you can choose which sets of pickups to display by enabling or disabling layers.

Get them here (14MB RAR): http://rapidshare.com/files/145496640/Warhawk_Maps_-_Omega_Factory.rar.html

I've also made a minor correction to the other maps where the Chernovan and Eucadian home bases had the wrong letter on them. Not a big deal, but I'm anal retentive like that. :p

Here they are for those who missed them:

Original Maps (30MB RAR): http://rapidshare.com/files/145496637/Warhawk_Maps.rar.html

Tau Crater (11MB RAR): http://rapidshare.com/files/145496641/Warhawk_Maps_-_Tau_Crater.rar.html

maxax

I finally decided to get the game, partly for throphies but also because GAF is praising it everywhere.
I played a little local split screen and a bit of online and it's really fun, definitely worth my money.
Just one question about the trophy "Bandwidth Donor":
If I have a slow connection that can't host ranked matches, there is absolutely NO WAY for me to get it? That seems really unfair.. I can't get a faster connection where I live.
Or did somebody find a way to get it?

Tntnnbltn

New favourite tactic: riding passenger in tanks. It's so good being in there with a fully stocked arsenal... Rocket launching Warhawks, laying down mines while still driving, hopping out to give the tank a quick wrench fix...

Last time I played the Badlands map I ended up loitering outside the tank hanger waiting for people to drive by.

maxax said:
I finally decided to get the game, partly for throphies but also because GAF is praising it everywhere.
I played a little local split screen and a bit of online and it's really fun, definitely worth my money.
Just one question about the trophy "Bandwidth Donor":
If I have a slow connection that can't host ranked matches, there is absolutely NO WAY for me to get it? That seems really unfair.. I can't get a faster connection where I live.
Or did somebody find a way to get it?
You know what else isn't fair some of the trophies are from the expansion packs so I can't get all the trophies unless I buy more expansions. Same with SSHD. Kind off topic but yeah that's unfair...
Tntnnbltn said:
New favourite tactic: riding passenger in tanks. It's so good being in there with a fully stocked arsenal... Rocket launching Warhawks, laying down mines while still driving, hopping out to give the tank a quick wrench fix...

Last time I played the Badlands map I ended up loitering outside the tank hanger waiting for people to drive by.
Riding in the top of the tank with a rocket launcher taking out planes/warhawks is a lot of fun :D

I joined Sea Manky's game earlier today. It was a Hero match with only two spawn points right next to each other. Average life expectancy, (edit) 2 seconds.

Madman

Tntnnbltn said:

Just making sure, but you know that you can fix the tank with the wrench while popping out of the top, right?

Anyways, I have had amazing runs while being a passanger in a tank. The only problem I usually face is running out of ammo/supplies.

User 406

Banned
InterMoniker said:
You know what else isn't fair some of the trophies are from the expansion packs so I can't get all the trophies unless I buy more expansions. Same with SSHD. Kind off topic but yeah that's unfair...

Just so you're aware, you don't need any of the booster pack trophies to get platinum. So they're really just a separate set of trophies.

Madman said:
Just making sure, but you know that you can fix the tank with the wrench while popping out of the top, right?
It's great in CTF when you repair a flag carrying tank just as fast as it's getting damaged. It's got to be frustrating for the other side.

carlos

TelemachusD said:
It's great in CTF when you repair a flag carrying tank just as fast as it's getting damaged. It's got to be frustrating for the other side.

And that's precisely why I still don't like the new TOW missle spawn delay (it's now 2 or 3 minutes I believe)

Especially in archipielago where there's only one spawnpoint :/

Lately I've been getting killed while still carrying the TOW because I'm afraid to use it and not have it available in an emergency situation....

carlos said:
And that's precisely why I still don't like the new TOW missle spawn delay (it's now 2 or 3 minutes I believe)

Especially in archipielago where there's only one spawnpoint :/

Lately I've been getting killed while still carrying the TOW because I'm afraid to use it and not have it available in an emergency situation....

I thought something was going on with the TOW. I ended up camping for it in a game of CTF earlier. Any other 'adjustments' in the past 9 months I need to be made aware of? I'm on top of the CTF rules, I think. How long before sudden death kicks in though?

I hopped in a small game with Manky earlier too. I think I was lasting maybe 4 or 5 seconds. :lol

edit: Great maps Manky! I'm going to pore over the Vapourfield map, I get so lost on the driving around.

User 406

Banned
freethought said:
I thought something was going on with the TOW. I ended up camping for it in a game of CTF earlier. Any other 'adjustments' in the past 9 months I need to be made aware of? I'm on top of the CTF rules, I think. How long before sudden death kicks in though?

Don't know how far back it was, so you might already know this, but they tweaked the damage and ammo on the 50 cal/4x4 gun to be more powerful. They also can lock onto aircraft now. More recently, they made it easier for people riding in a jeep to take splash damage from explosions because jeeps were chewing up tanks a bit too easily. They also did a similar damage/ammo upgrade to the flak turrets. And of course I'm sure you've noticed that neat new 50 point Winning Team ribbon, which you get for being on the winning team for the entire match. :p

I hopped in a small game with Manky earlier too. I think I was lasting maybe 4 or 5 seconds. :lol

That was MrPips' server. For some reason, today he set up his rotation to be NOTHING but Close Corridors with various game modes. :X After I inevitably got kicked for too many teamkills, I moved elsewhere. :p

edit: Great maps Manky! I'm going to pore over the Vapourfield map, I get so lost on the driving around.

I haven't done a Vaporfield map because Incognito never posted a big clean map like they did for all the others. ;_;

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just got this for my birthday. I feel kind of pressured to get the booster packs...

User 406

Banned
Don't worry, there's still plenty of vanilla Warhawk action going on, so try that out first. If you find it to be as addictive as the rest of us, get the booster pack bundle, all three are totally worth it. :)

carlos

:(
if they offered some kind of discount for those who own OD or just the 2nd and 3rd boosters bundled together, I'd probably bite....
That's the cheapskate within talking...getting left out because of my unwillingness to fork over a few bucks

Up until now, my average lifespan in a Warhawk was about 15 seconds. If someone got a lock on me I would always just spaz out with the sticks and hit the turbo which really doesn't work, but yesterday I was looking at a FAQ, and it said, "to dodge missiles, just push both sticks left or right." Why did no one mention this before? It's so simple, and it works almost every time. I was able to last for minutes at a time in the air in my last game. It's like a whole component of the game I was mostly avoiding just became available.

ChryZ

carlos said:
:(
if they offered some kind of discount for those who own OD or just the 2nd and 3rd boosters bundled together, I'd probably bite....
That's the cheapskate within talking...getting left out because of my unwillingness to fork over a few bucks
You spend 579h12m53s on this game, yet you're NOT willing to invest a few bucks?

2exy3rb.gif

carlos

ChryZ said:
You spend 579h12m53s on this game, yet you're NOT willing to invest a few bucks?

2exy3rb.gif

Haha, yeah, and that's without the tens of hours that weren't recorded during the first couple of months; I should be closer to 750, I estimate O.O

lol, I just haven't been playing that much in the last few months to justify it....but yeah, it is kinda ridiculous to not buy them because of a couple of bucks...

User 406

Banned
That reminds me, I need to update my Warhawk Entertainment Value spreadsheet now that I've passed the thousand hour mark and the one year anniversary. :D

>CHUG CHUG CHUG<

<ding>

79 cents per hour. I'm definitely in paperback book land. XD

Sea Manky said:
Don't worry, there's still plenty of vanilla Warhawk action going on, so try that out first. If you find it to be as addictive as the rest of us, get the booster pack bundle, all three are totally worth it. :)

Even if you have to buy two of the packs separately, it's still cheaper than Wow.

At this point getting the GH version and the booster bundle is cheaper then most games on the market and (if you like the game) it will provide a substantial amount of entertainment (see: Sea Manky, Carlos). I have only put a little over 200hr hours into the game and with the continued support this game is receiving I will probably put in at least another 200. Sea Manky, I think you are probably around the $0.08 cph now! And to think that you have only invested about 66% of the time the top players have! Has anyone received the Platinum yet?

Nice to see that people are still picking this game up. Perhaps we can get some more clan action going on?

I will be setting up a server this Saturday for EST Gaf (and anyone else who has the ping to play). I think I will keep the same settings as last weekend, but will reduce the number of maps in rotation. Last week I ran the server for 8hrs but we only got through about 16 games. This was primarily due to the fact that we never really got a full game up and running. So, this weekend I will set up the server for about 4 hrs and it will run from 4p to 8p EST to hopefully catch some of you west coasters. I will put 7 games into the rotation. Review my setup from last weekend to see what was played. If you have any requests or recommendations please let me know.

Also, we will not be able to get the Rivalry trophey playing against our own clan, so perhaps if we can get enough people to commit to a few rounds one weekend we could set up a second Gaf clan and have some inter-gaf competition.

Sea Manky, would you be able to amend the clan list with what expansions clan members own? That way we can set up some servers that run the booster packs (I really like small scale death match at Omega Factory, and love the jet pack). I have all three expansions.

User 406

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
Sea Manky, I think you are probably around the $0.08 cph now! And to think that you have only invested about 66% of the time the top players have! Has anyone received the Platinum yet?

Since Warhawk is the only game I own for the system, I factor in its cost, the two extra controllers I got on sale, the game, the boosters, and the repair charge when I stupidly fried the USB ports with static. ^_^

And yeah, there are people out there with the Platinum trophy, I know one guy got it the day after trophies were enabled. There has been a LOT of trophy padding. :X

Also, we will not be able to get the Rivalry trophey playing against our own clan, so perhaps if we can get enough people to commit to a few rounds one weekend we could set up a second Gaf clan and have some inter-gaf competition.

Interesting idea! Judging from our GB experience, it might be hard to find clans at our skill level to play, since after our win against FGC nobody but the very top clans would accept challenges from us, and we always got hammered after that. :X

Any word from the B3D or CAG guys, those of you who mentioned them?

Sea Manky, would you be able to amend the clan list with what expansions clan members own? That way we can set up some servers that run the booster packs (I really like small scale death match at Omega Factory, and love the jet pack). I have all three expansions.

I am planning to do just that as soon as I get the completed roster info together, because then it'll be easier to mass email everyone asking for that info. I've still got about 23 people who have either read my PM but haven't replied, or have read it but didn't give me everything. >:| I'll probably do an update post today or tomorrow after I've recompiled everything.

F-Pina

I do think we have already a lot of people who do play Warhawk to make some cool matches. We are just all scatered playing other things.

Maybe we need to ramp things up again with some oficial matches against other clans.
I wish i had more time to take care of things for the clan, i have already done so in the past with another clan but nowadays it's impossible for me :(

Someone should volunteer to make this happen, Sea Manky already did once, is there anyone else up to this GREAT GLORIOUS task? :D

Sea Manky said:
Don't know how far back it was, so you might already know this, but they tweaked the damage and ammo on the 50 cal/4x4 gun to be more powerful. They also can lock onto aircraft now. More recently, they made it easier for people riding in a jeep to take splash damage from explosions because jeeps were chewing up tanks a bit too easily. They also did a similar damage/ammo upgrade to the flak turrets. And of course I'm sure you've noticed that neat new 50 point Winning Team ribbon, which you get for being on the winning team for the entire match. :p

I had noticed a few weird explosive jeep kills that wouldn't have happened before. I'm going to have some fun with the 50 cal though, didn't know about the lock on or damage tweaks. I've been gone a long time. :(

Sea Manky said:
I haven't done a Vaporfield map because Incognito never posted a big clean map like they did for all the others. ;_;

I get so lost driving around, the fact that it's the APC map makes it worse. I need the map up to even know which direction I'm facing.

keyrat

There's no way for me to get any type of deal on the two newest booster packs when I already bought Omega Dawn, is there?

If anyone is thinking of buying just one booster pack, don't bother. I have Omega Dawn and I can't ever play it because there's really only two types of servers: vanilla, and all booster packs.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sea Manky said:
Yeah, that's a bad trophy, as is the one for joining a clan if it isn't awarded to people who are already in one. I think the intention was to promote community interaction, but since Warhawk has been out for a year, there's already a thriving set of well established clans, and this is just screwing with that. The Warlord trophy in particular is just going to encourage a lot of temporary clan invite screwing around, and frankly I wouldn't blame anyone who did. They're the only ones that logically can't be earned by everyone if earned as intended.

Hey Manky,

Warlord can be had by passing the leadership around supposedly. Could we do that, rather than have people leave and come back?

Andy

keyrat said:
There's no way for me to get any type of deal on the two newest booster packs when I already bought Omega Dawn, is there?

If anyone is thinking of buying just one booster pack, don't bother. I have Omega Dawn and I can't ever play it because there's really only two types of servers: vanilla, and all booster packs.

Are you only looking at the Official servers? I usually don't have a hard time finding servers set up for either Omega Dawn or Broken Mirror. If you try to join an all server will it not allow you, or do you just get kicked once a booster comes up that you don't have?

In a few months they really need to make one of the boosters free so that everyone can play. I think making Omega Dawn free and dropping the combined booster to about $10.99 would be a good deal.

Sea Manky said:
Since Warhawk is the only game I own for the system, I factor in its cost, the two extra controllers I got on sale, the game, the boosters, and the repair charge when I stupidly fried the USB ports with static. ^_^

This really is a game that show cases the PS3 and the PSN and is definitely one that (if you love the game) makes the cost of the system a moot point. I am really impressed that Sony was able to get this together and show that consoles can do multiplayer only. I just got a new tv (much bigger then my old one) and sound system and this game just keeps on giving.

My hope is that Incog. keep releasing new content. Without substantial changes to the game I would much rather have expansions then a sequel.

keyrat

the_prime_mover said:
Are you only looking at the Official servers? I usually don't have a hard time finding servers set up for either Omega Dawn or Broken Mirror. If you try to join an all server will it not allow you, or do you just get kicked once a booster comes up that you don't have?

In a few months they really need to make one of the boosters free so that everyone can play. I think making Omega Dawn free and dropping the combined booster to about $10.99 would be a good deal.

Yea, I mean, if I set it the map filter to only Omega Dawn maybe I find one server, but usually once the level is over I get kicked. I usually have the filter set to "all maps resident".

I end up joining vanilla servers and don't ever get to see the dropship. It doesn't matter, though, because I'm buying the packs right now.

slider

Has anyone ever experience "invisible air mines"? I've been suffering from this with increasing frequency recently. I'm not imagining it - I just suddenly explode in mid air (and the air mine symbol shows up). It's very frustrating, especially as I'm focusing on improving my flying. :(

I remember asking the same question (a few dozen pages back) and this is an issue in the game with the mines. I am sure someone else can give you a much more lucid explanation of the issue, however I believe it has something to do with a player placing the maximum number of mines they can (then anymore that are placed will remove an older mine) however the older mines disappear graphically but are still active.

I think that this is definitely the most annoying element of the game (that and people spawning as invincible AND invisible - I hate trying to capture bases and getting knifed by someone I never could have seen)

slider said:
Has anyone ever experience "invisible air mines"? I've been suffering from this with increasing frequency recently. I'm not imagining it - I just suddenly explode in mid air (and the air mine symbol shows up). It's very frustrating, especially as I'm focusing on improving my flying. :(

Could be lag. But, experienced players are good at hiding the mines.

I was in a player hosted server on Badlands, and died 3 times right after I entered the game, just walking down the street in front of my main base. No explosions, nothing, just fell over dead. Each time it said it was mines and the player hosting was the guy who supposedly got me. I suppose this was the invisible mine issue the_prime_mover was talking about.

slider

Now you mention it I've often been caught by land mines too! No beeping to tip me off either. Humph.

I don't think it's a lag issue though devildog. The first thing I do is check everyone's ping - anything over 300/350 and I'm outta there.

Well I'm sure Incog are aware and investigating. I love those guys.

F-Pina

The knife is awsome.
If you stand still in a corner in a shadow the enemy does't "see" your name above your head anymore, so he doesn't know you are there :) It's more awsome when you catch someone doing that whithout him seeing you :p

Top Bottom