• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

AndyD

aka andydumi
F-Pina said:
The knife is awsome.
If you stand still in a corner in a shadow the enemy does't "see" your name above your head anymore, so he doesn't know you are there :) It's more awsome when you catch someone doing that whithout him seeing you :p
Or when you know where the ambush corners are and you toss a grenade before you walk up and they die... its hilarious.

borsdy

Banned
After 40hrs of play this game as really clicked, warhawk has to be my favorite ps3 game right now.

I have a question about awards. Are ALL the ribbons only obtainable within a single game? Including the ones that say in the discription 'most bestest murder' etc?

Jaeyden

If you are experiencing invisible mines (air or ground) it's a latency issue. Look at the pings and I guarantee you'll find someone over 400. I just leave the server when that stuff starts happening.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So far Warhawk is both awesome and crappy, although I've only been playing team deathmatch. The mode itself is awesome, but my team was sooo dumb. I'd immediately capture every point, but my guys would stay at our home base and jump into turrets, which nobody would ever go near. They kept only using our original spawn point, and didn't even try to defend any of them.

It's not like the other team was any good, I kept killing tanks and other dudes while on foot. I'd run up to turrets and blow those up, I blew up a Warhawk with a tank (wasn't hovering, that was satisfying) and I seemed to be able to stay alive in a Warhawk forever. If I babysat one point, all the others would be captured, although I kept recapturing because it was easy, but that wasn't enough to win.

It seems like the game didn't pay attention to stats, so one team would get 4 good guys and the other would suck, so you'd win or lose if you were on the good team. So I'm thinking maybe regular deathmatch may be more my thing or maybe all the guys that aren't stupid are playing with the booster packs.

I do love all the thing you can do, and the controls are amazing once you turn the sensitivity down (WTF @ default settings) and it has great balance.

-edit-
Haha, I just realized that Team Deathmatch is like a crappy hybrid mode. I didn't know standard Deatchmatch is a team-based setup, and I didn't know there was a Zone mode where all my hard work would actually mean something rather than just give my dumb teammates more spawn points to disregard. This is about to become my favorite game...

icechai

Dice said:
So far Warhawk is both awesome and crappy, although I've only been playing team deathmatch. The mode itself is awesome, but my team was sooo dumb. I'd immediately capture every point, but my guys would stay at our home base and jump into turrets, which nobody would ever go near. They kept only using our original spawn point, and didn't even try to defend any of them.

It's not like the other team was any good, I kept killing tanks and other dudes while on foot. I'd run up to turrets and blow those up, I blew up a Warhawk with a tank (wasn't hovering, that was satisfying) and I seemed to be able to stay alive in a Warhawk forever. If I babysat one point, all the others would be captured, although I kept recapturing because it was easy, but that wasn't enough to win.

It seems like the game didn't pay attention to stats, so one team would get 4 good guys and the other would suck, so you'd win or lose if you were on the good team. So I'm thinking maybe regular deathmatch may be more my thing or maybe all the guys that aren't stupid are playing with the booster packs.

I do love all the thing you can do, and the controls are amazing once you turn the sensitivity down (WTF @ default settings) and it has great balance.

-edit-
Haha, I just realized that Team Deathmatch is like a crappy hybrid mode. I didn't know standard Deatchmatch is a team-based setup, and I didn't know there was a Zone mode where all my hard work would actually mean something rather than just give my dumb teammates more spawn points to disregard. This is about to become my favorite game...

Zone, Collection, Flag, and Hero are pretty much the only modes I play, and out of those its usually CTF more often than not :p Deathmatches are only scratching the surface of this awesome game.

User 406

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Good to see some GAF peeps remembers Warhawk Wednesdays.

Now about the rest of you dirty so-and-so's! :mad:

Sorry, but I've currently got a rented dumpster in the driveway that I'm filling up with all the shit from my basement and garage every evening, so I'm tied up this week. I also probably won't be able to play in any clan matches this weekend for the same reason.

slider

Jaeyden said:
If you are experiencing invisible mines (air or ground) it's a latency issue. Look at the pings and I guarantee you'll find someone over 400. I just leave the server when that stuff starts happening.

Cheers Jaeyden. I'm gonna have to be extra careful on the in-game-pings. As I said I usually jump ship if anyone is over 300/350.

Hmm.

AndyD

aka andydumi
borsdy said:
After 40hrs of play this game as really clicked, warhawk has to be my favorite ps3 game right now.

I have a question about awards. Are ALL the ribbons only obtainable within a single game? Including the ones that say in the discription 'most bestest murder' etc?
What do you mean within a single game? One round? Then yes. Ribbons do not accrue across rounds. Medals and Badges do.

Dice

icechai said:
Zone, Collection, Flag, and Hero are pretty much the only modes I play, and out of those its usually CTF more often than not :p Deathmatches are only scratching the surface of this awesome game.
I hate CTF in any game. I've never understood the draw.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dice said:

I agree. Although its the best way to get points in this game, so a lot of people play it exclusively.

My favorite would be a mode like Assault I think in UT, where you take your base, then the next closest one and so forth, building up. And you cant attack back bases of the enemy. So that way you get fights over 1-2 central key bases until one team pushes the other towards their own base. Zone mode is fine, but on a huge map, the back bases are under attack, and turn over, but there is little incentive in terms of points to stay back and defend.

Warhawk needs to improve the points award system to be more rewarding for little things. First kill in a round. Rivalries (you killed Joe234 5 times bonus). A driver point award bonus (so instead of running around trying to collect cores or the flag, people actually protect and carry the core carrier or flag carrier). If you give 25 for flag capture, give 5 for driving the flag carrier, and 1-3 to each person protecting him. Also give a point for each assist, not every 5.

Points are the driving force to a certain extent and they need to be more liberal with them in a way that promotes teamwork. Give points for repairing a tank, for laying down a health spray when friends heal, for the rider in a tank, for the driver of a jeep when the machine gunner kills someone... That way people work smarter knowing that no matter what they do they will get rewarded.

ChryZ

Dice said:
Dude, CTF is awesome! Snatch their junk, bring it home, score and own the whole other team ... it's as good as it gets :lol

slider

And if you're the flag carrier and your team is fighting tooth and nail to protect you.. sniff, sniff... Well I've never felt so close to other men before.

CTF rocks. There is single-style shooting and there is strategic base capturing too. What's not to like??

ChryZ said:
Dude, CTF is awesome! Snatch their junk, bring it home, score and own the whole other team ... it's as good as it gets :lol

If the teams are balanced though nobody ever even attempts to go for the flag, because doing so normally results in insta-death. It's still fun, but it doesn't really feel like CTF.

Playing smaller maps is better. Archapelago (sp) is most awesome in CTF.
Generally I find collection to be a better mode though.

ChryZ

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
If the teams are balanced though nobody ever even attempts to go for the flag, because doing so normally results in insta-death. It's still fun, but it doesn't really feel like CTF.
Create a back bone of bases, rack up a few kills, go in, once the flag is on the move then your team will follow. IF they're not totally retarded :p

User 406

Banned
I love all the modes, but there's a certain special kind of chaos you can get with CTF that you rarely find elsewhere. Even in Zones there's rarely just one single focal point of EVERYONE'S attention. The most balls-out crazy moments of both teams rushing to a single point that becomes a cauldron of exploding hell are nearly always found in a good CTF game.

Then there's the thrill of pinning down the enemy to their home base and trying to get the flag out from under the noses of the entire enemy team. I love it so much. >:D

Jaeyden

andydumi said:
Warhawk needs to improve the points award system to be more rewarding for little things. First kill in a round. Rivalries (you killed Joe234 5 times bonus). A driver point award bonus (so instead of running around trying to collect cores or the flag, people actually protect and carry the core carrier or flag carrier). If you give 25 for flag capture, give 5 for driving the flag carrier, and 1-3 to each person protecting him. Also give a point for each assist, not every 5.

Points are the driving force to a certain extent and they need to be more liberal with them in a way that promotes teamwork. Give points for repairing a tank, for laying down a health spray when friends heal, for the rider in a tank, for the driver of a jeep when the machine gunner kills someone... That way people work smarter knowing that no matter what they do they will get rewarded.

Agreed. Although, the points system has been getting tweaked for about a year now. Don't forget that the reason a lot of points AREN'T awarded is because they could be easily abused to pad stats. Repairing a tank for example, one person throws grenades the other bangs away on the tank etc. I think Incog certainly needs to start up some double points weekends and whatnot, I've got around 700 hrs in this game over the last year and I'm only half way to General. It makes my Warhawk Platinum trophy feel like it's another year away....ughh. I love the game but should a person really have to put 1000+ hours into a game just in order to get a platinum trophy? You can get platinum in Uncharted in a week or less. I had always thought that they should have made the ranking system more dependent on in game accomplishments and less on points. Then they could have just kept adding more ranks along with some of the booster packs/game patches/skin additions. The free skins kind of took away a lot of the drive to rank up, the last 40k points have felt like a grind and I'm sure the next 140k will too.

User 406

Banned
You know, I can't stand the raver pads on the troops, and I hated most of the warhawk paintjobs above 6 or so, but I can say the rusty warhawk skin for General was totally worth it. :)

Dice said:

Squad rushing the flag! Two jeeps, a tank and a couple of Warhawks for air support. Coordinated assaults are so awesome. The first jeep is basically a minesweeper/target, the tank protects you from other tanks, and the air support backs you up. Awesome stuff.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jaeyden said:
Agreed. Although, the points system has been getting tweaked for about a year now. Don't forget that the reason a lot of points AREN'T awarded is because they could be easily abused to pad stats. Repairing a tank for example, one person throws grenades the other bangs away on the tank etc. I think Incog certainly needs to start up some double points weekends and whatnot, I've got around 700 hrs in this game over the last year and I'm only half way to General. It makes my Warhawk Platinum trophy feel like it's another year away....ughh. I love the game but should a person really have to put 1000+ hours into a game just in order to get a platinum trophy? You can get platinum in Uncharted in a week or less. I had always thought that they should have made the ranking system more dependent on in game accomplishments and less on points. Then they could have just kept adding more ranks along with some of the booster packs/game patches/skin additions. The free skins kind of took away a lot of the drive to rank up, the last 40k points have felt like a grind and I'm sure the next 140k will too.

I agree. The ranks ought to be medals/badges based. The points take forever, in terms of hours. For 100-200 hours worth you should be able to get through at least most of the ranks and their skin rewards.

slider

The Frankman said:
just started out and and playing in the recruit_practice server. Join in if new to the game! :D

I don't think there's too many noobs in this thread. Could be wrong of course.

And you'll only find one who admits to being rubbish -> me!

mintylurb

The Frankman said:
just started out and and playing in the recruit_practice server. Join in if new to the game! :D
Mmmm fresh meat..
03lag2.gif

Dice

devildog820 said:
Squad rushing the flag! Two jeeps, a tank and a couple of Warhawks for air support. Coordinated assaults are so awesome. The first jeep is basically a minesweeper/target, the tank protects you from other tanks, and the air support backs you up. Awesome stuff.
You're assuming that your teammates aren't a bunch of monkeys who think randomly killing enemy fighters will magically capture the flag for you.

slider

The Frankman said:
Maybe to Warhawk but not games of that ilk. I'll frag you in under 10 seconds if you mess with me. :D

It's on!

So it seems, does it not, that perhaps you were playing the same trick as mintylurb? I mean if you're an old hand... and you're in "recruit_practice"... hmm!

slider said:
It's on!

So it seems, does it not, that perhaps you were playing the same trick as mintylurb? I mean if you're an old hand... and you're in "recruit_practice"... hmm!
no, I am really playing Warhawk for the first time. But Deathmatch/CRT games? I've played them for over 10 years, including fighter games on PC (JetFighter 2).

EDIT: Although one setback... flying planes on a controller doesn't feel as comfortable as a keyboard. Weird, but plane combat is not that easy for me. :C

slider

The Frankman said:
no, I am really playing Warhawk for the first time. But Deathmatch/CRT games? I've played them for over 10 years, including fighter games on PC (JetFighter 2).

EDIT: Although one setback... flying planes on a controller doesn't feel as comfortable as a keyboard. Weird, but plane combat is not that easy for me. :C

Haha, it's all good in the hood. If I was that intrigued I would've asked for your PSN and checked your stats.

I just pictured you having lots of experience of similar games then going into a noob server and dishing out hell on a plate to all those suckers. :)

I've never done a "flight-sim" on keyboard. Well not for years. I'm struggling with the concept. Have you got WH set up for motion control? I don't but I think a lot of the experienced pilots do. May be worth experimenting.

Yeah I should probably try that out it might interesting (using the motion controller that is). I'm trying to raise my level past recruit. Also for some reason after about 35 minutes I get randomly disconnected. That a common occurrence?

slider

I know some people suffer occasionally. I never have. What's your PSN connectivity like generally? Ever get disconnected in other games? I think the servers do very occasionally get temperamental - but I do mean very, very rarely.

Whilst I'm here I'll just throw this out for discussion... since the last update I've found the controller buttons aren't as responsive as they used to be. There hasn't been a FW update in that time so I'm sure it's only in the case of WH.

For instance I have to sometimes press a button a couple of times to select, say, the rifle. Similarly, when airborne I'll have my finger pressed firmly to target an enemy and it will not registed until I remove finger then reapply it. Never used to be like that. Anyone else had similar experiences? Maybe my controller's borked; but I haven't noticed it in any other game.

Dice

This might be the greatest game ever made...

Using a tank was pretty sweet, but blowing up a warhawk with a grenade is incredibly satisfying, makes me feel like a jedi or something (specifically Luke taking down an AT-AT). I'm guessing only a far sniper headshot on a pilot not in hover mode would be better.

Warhawk controls are so perfect and natural, I feel like an air-ninja. When I get irritated by ground stuff it's wonderful just hopping in and getting away from it all, it's almost like a whole different game in the skies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dice said:
This might be the greatest game ever made...

Using a tank was pretty sweet, but blowing up a warhawk with a grenade is incredibly satisfying, makes me feel like a jedi or something (specifically Luke taking down an AT-AT). I'm guessing only a far sniper headshot on a pilot not in hover mode would be better.

Warhawk controls are so perfect and natural, I feel like an air-ninja. When I get irritated by ground stuff it's wonderful just hopping in and getting away from it all, it's almost like a whole different game in the skies.

I always laugh when a warhawk comes after me and i run around with my knife out and he thinks I have no weapons, and he gets on the floor and then I toss a grenade or a mine on his wings... and watch his ragdoll fly.

I have had people harass me for the whole round after killing them that way.

User 406

Banned
Okay, after compiling everything, here's the state of the current roster:

Code:
Miss	PSN Name		GAF Name		Host	Email?	Timezn	Packs	GB Name			Available

0	carlos			carlos			2	Yes	EST	O	gafcarlos		Anytime
0	Foil			Foil			12	No	EST	-	-			Irregular
0	hank_scorpio		slider			8	Yes	GMT	OBF	-			9pm-10pm GMT some WD, some WE
0	Palantiri		the_prime_mover		16	Yes	EST	OBF	Palantiri		Evenings & WE 5p-11p
0	Sea_Manky		Sea Manky		8	Yes	EST	OBF	Sea_Manky		Almost anytime
0	solbad			sol_bad			8	Yes	GMT+10	OBF	-			WD >5p
1	AndysPants		andydumi		8	?	CST	OBF	-			Evenings
1	angelcage		angelcage87		4	Yes	GMT+1	?	angelcage		WE
1	Arkestra		Ceb			24	Yes	GMT+1	?	Arkestra		F-Su 2p-6p EST, S-Su >4a EST, WD <6p EST rnd
1	burnfout		burnfout		8	Yes	GMT+1	?	burnfout		>8p GMT
1	ChryZ-US		ChryZ			4	No	GMT+2	?	ChryZ			WD 7p-11p GMT, WE 12p-5a GMT
1	cjdunn			cjdunn			0	Yes	EST	?	-			WD evenings except We
1	deepbrown		deepbrown		4	No	GMT	?	deepbrown		Irregular, after 10p
1	devildog820		devildog820		20	No	EST	?	-			Irregular
1	DireStr8s		nickslicl		8	Yes	EST	?	DireStr8s		WD >5p EST, WE
1	ElStupido83		Phantast2k		16	Yes	GMT+1	?	ElStupido		all week til Oct, WE after
1	Escalation		Escalation		20	Yes	PST	?	Escalation		WE
1	F-Pina			F-Pina			4	Yes	GMT	?	Pina			WE
1	freethought69		freethought		8	Yes	GMT	?	freethought		1p-5p WD, some nights, most WE
1	Goonboy			Roxas			8	Yes	GMT	?	Goonboy7777		Most evenings
1	icechai			icechai			20	Yes	EST	?	icechai			F-S >1a EST, possible WE daytime
1	JackScofield		Jack Scofield		24	Yes	PST	?	JackScofield		Most evenings, WE preferred
1	Jaeyden			Jaeyden			8	Yes	MST	?	Jaeyden			Mostly WE, flexible WD
1	Jazar			Oni Jazar		20	Yes	EST	?	Jazar			random, mostly WE
1	Mintylurb		mintylurb		2	Yes	EST	?	mintylurb		WE 2p-5p EST
1	Nohne			kazenone		8	Yes	GMT	?	Nohne			>5p GMT
1	pancakesandsx		pancakesandsex		20	Yes	EST	?	pancakesandsex		Su 3p-5p EST
1	PlayerBeyond		CSSer			12	Yes	EST	?	PlayerBeyond		WE open, WD 6p-11p EST
1	Queeg500		Queeg			8	Yes	GMT+10	?	-			Random
1	REDEMPTOR		RoH			24	Yes	EST	?	rohscx			WE >3p EST
1	revolverjgw		revolverjgw		8	Yes	AST	?	-			WD >9p EST, WE afternoons
1	SgtSpud			SpudBud			24	Yes	EST	?	-			5p-9p, irregular
1	Steroyd			Steroyd			8	Yes	GMT+1	?	Steroyd			Every day except F-Su 6p-10p
1	TEEPO			teepo			24	Yes	EST	?	teepo			Irregular
1	TelemachusD		TelemachusD		24	Yes	EST	?	-			Anytime with a couple days notice, except after 2a
1	The_Marquis		The Take Out Bandit	12	Yes	EST	?	The_Marquis		WE open, WD >8p EST infrequently
1	Tiduz			Tiduz			24	Yes	CET	?	-			Irregular
1	Trevelyan		Trevelyan		8	Yes	EST	?	Trevelyan		3pm Sat ok, almost anytime
1	womfalcs3		womfalcs3		8	Yes	EDT	?	-			WD irregular, WE 11a-1p, irregular afternoons, can't host
2	BeeDog			BeeDog			?	Yes	GMT+1	?	-			Su, sometimes early Sa
2	BlackGoku03		BlackGoku03		?	Yes	EST	?	-			F-Su >11p, sometimes WD
2	Bloody_Marcel		TTP			12	Yes	GMT+1	?	Bloody_Marcel		?
2	Cacophony		onadesertedisland	?	Yes	CST	?	onadesertedisland	>8pm CST
2	Methane47		methane47		?	Yes	EST	?	methane47		Evenings except Su/We
2	Tntnnbltn		Tntnnbltn		12	Yes	GMT+8	?	-			?
3	decon89			decon			8	Yes	GMT+1	?	?			?
3	GimmeCat		Eccocid			?	Yes	GMT+2	?	?			WD 9p-11p, WE evenings
3	GoncaloCastro		GoncaloCCastro		?	?	GMT	?	GoncaloCastro		WE
3	JohnFkennedy		johnFkennedy		8	Yes	CST	?	?			?
4	kassatsu		kassatsu		?	Yes	PST	?	?			?
5	J-Wood			j-wood			?	?	CST	?	?			?
5	m0nkeyhero		h3ro			?	?	EST	?	?			?
6	aprodigalson		?			?	?	?	?	?			?
6	CaliChronz		InterMoniker		?	?	?	?	?			?
6	Flo_Evans		Flo_Evans		?	?	?	?	?			?
6	Huggers			The Hug Dog		?	?	?	?	?			?
6	InfectedZero		InfectedZero		?	?	?	?	?			?
6	JupiterUnleashed	so_awes			?	?	?	?	?			?
6	OmegaSpur		OmegaSpur		?	?	?	?	?			?
6	PaiPai			Pai Pai Master		?	?	?	?	?			?

6	Gowanz007		Gowans007		?	?	?	?	?			?  -- Note, waiting on PSX3 to return
6	TKAwsome		TKAwsome		?	?	?	?	?			?
6	seikenchan		Seiken			?	?	?	?	?			?
6	aj2good4you2		aj2good4you2		?	?	?	?	?			?

SCROLL TO THE RIGHT TO SEE ALL THE DATA.

Thanks for all the responses, we've got a lot more info now. There's still a lot missing though, and a lot of you read my PM but never replied. >:| The last guy who hasn't played since the first half of the year has been cut, so new cuts will come from outstanding idle invitations first, and people in the roster who haven't provided data second. There's also a few of you who did reply, but didn't give complete info. EVEN IF YOU REPLIED BEFORE, PLEASE CHECK BY YOUR NAME. I've added a new column for booster packs, with O, B, and F representing Omega Dawn, Broken Mirror, and Falling Star respectively, so I'll need to know what everyone has there. Thanks to Steroyd for initially pointing that out. :)

Again, the first number is how many pieces of data haven't been supplied. A lot of the 1's are just missing the booster pack info, but there's still quite a few below them that are missing some/all the info. Please PM me with the info for anything that has a "?" on the row with your name.

A recap of what we're looking for:

- How many people you can host: To find this out, just log on to Warhawk, go to Create Game, and the game will test your connection. Under Server Options, go down to the Max Players option. The biggest number you can host will be there.

- An email address we can use to contact you about clan business: If you don't wish to submit an email address, that's fine, just tell me so and I'll mark you down as a "No". All email addresses will be kept private within the clan, and only used for emails about matches or clan stuff.

- Your time zone: Let us know where you are in the world so we can coordinate playing times better.

- What booster packs you have: Just list the ones you've got, and we'll be able to make better server rotations to accommodate everyone.

- Your username on gamebattles.com: If you don't have one, that's okay, just let me know that you don't. Registering on GB is optional, but in the event we start up GB activity again, you'll need to register if you want to participate in GB clan matches.

- Your general availability: Just a basic summary of the typical times you're playing Warhawk. If you're completely irregular or always available, just say so. :)

Anyone new who wants to join the clan will need to provide this info first.

Now, about the Warlord trophy. People have been asking me to pass it around, and I fundamentally don't have a problem with this, and I don't want to stay clan leader for long. But like I've said before, I'm going to wait a while to see what happens over on the Warhawk boards just to make sure Incog doesn't start wiping stats for trophy padding as well as stat padding. There's been a lot of clans who have done this already, and I want to see if anything happens to them. Color me paranoid, but I've put a thousand hours into this game and I don't want to lose my stats because people are too eager for a trophy. :/

If anyone is impatient, and wants to temporarily leave the clan to get this, I have no problem inviting you back when you're done.

NOW SEND ME DATA! Let's get some clan matches together this weekend! :D

PMs people!

Dice said:
You're assuming that your teammates aren't a bunch of monkeys who think randomly killing enemy fighters will magically capture the flag for you.

:lol

Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes. Usually two or three others are all about rushing the flag though.

Kazenone

I've got all packs, so you can update me.

I would like to participate more, so I'll check this thread more often. I'm at college again now, so my availability is still the same, 5PM GMT onwards each weekday.

Tntnnbltn

Sea Manky said:
Thanks, but I'm also missing availability times for you.
That's because I haven't thought of any yet. I usually play a night time local time... After 6pm GMT+8 (10am GMT)... Which would be some unforsaken hour in the US. :p

User 406

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
That's because I haven't thought of any yet. I usually play a night time local time... After 6pm GMT+8 (10am GMT)... Which would be some unforsaken hour in the US. :p

That's all I needed to know. :D

Spy

I just created a clan since I'm trying to get the Warlord trophy. If anyone would kindly post their PSN name so I can invite you to my clan that would be awesome!

Top Bottom