• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Oh, Sea Manky is mod now! Congrats :)
Even with KZ2 I still miss Warhawk. So I'm going to go ahead and buy the expansions as a motivational boost to play more WH ^^

Tntnnbltn

Phantast2k said:
Oh, Sea Manky is mod now! Congrats :)
Even with KZ2 I still miss Warhawk. So I'm going to go ahead and buy the expansions as a motivational boost to play more WH ^^
Once you go BM-CTF you never go back.

carlos

I've tried the 2 latest levels, the snow one is very disorienting for me, I can never tell which way I'm going without the map being displayed (I do like the layout, however). It has some framerate issues when boosting with a warhawk as well :(
The apc really adds a new aspect to capturing bases and ctf; I have to learn how to destroy it more efficiently, but I enjoy having it available.

The fallen star map I've never found any server hosting it the last couple of days, nor the jetpacks as an option :(
I know some say the jetpacks unbalance ctf, but I wish some would use it and let me try them out....
The map itself LOOKS great and strategic, I wish I could actually play in it once!

edit: I also ran into a couple of weird glitches yesterday; on badlands, a guy in a warhawk somehow squeezed into one of the broken buildings near the main base and managed to get under the level; while he didn't manage to kill anyone, it was quite annoying to have him appear right in our base and shooting the machine gun through the floor while distracting a large group of people on my team for a long while.

and in destroyed capitol, how is it possible to get both a warhawk and a tank inside the tall building right where the flag is? there's no entrance big enough fr those vehicles, am I right?

Tntnnbltn

I still get the "Join Failed. Unable to join game" bug thing. :(

Happens when I try to join official servers that I've played on before. Just says "Joining Game..." for ages then brings up the error. But if I go to any other official server that I haven't played recently I can get in instantly. Doesn't resolve itself by logging out, or even quitting + resetting the console. Then eventually it just starts working again.

Really annoying, because there's usually only on BM-CTF room going at any one time, and I currently can't get into it because I played the same room yesterday. I'll just go join FR-(ALL)-CTF instead. [Edit: I did, and the connection worked first time like I expected]

The Frankman said:
Is that where you are? Well then, NOW YOU DIE!!!

*Fires up Warhawk*
You can try...

Tntnnbltn

Some annoying twerp kept killing me today in BM CTF. I kept stealing the enemy's APC on Island Outpost, but he was patrolling the base in a jeep with 3 mines attached. If I tried to charge him, I'd blow up on contact.

Usually the 'mines on vehicle approach' is retarded, because
1) you're going to suicide each time
2) if a single bullet hits those mines, you're going to blow up instantly
3) it means you're going to be constantly taking away mines that team members could be putting to good use

But against an APC, it actually works well. You're getting rid of a fast, high HP vehicle that can wreak havoc in your teams base. On top of that, an APC is the only circumstance where you'll have a vehicle actually trying to make collision with you, meaning the mines are especially effective.

slider

I'd never thought of that. Very good point. I see people attaching them to jeeps sometimes and I think "wtf?"

My aerial combat is coming on a little. You really have to be holistic in the view of the map you're on. Danger comes from all sides. And I pulled of a great aerial move. In fact I reckon it's the best thing Warhawk has ever seen. I wish I could've video captured it; it truly deserves a bigger audience. So here's what I did...

Saw a slow moving enemy. I had a number of missles, including the electricity bolts and a TOW. But what I did was follow up behind this guy, double tap past him and planted an air mine in his flightpath; it was in High Rise (Hip) Hop. Taken out in one. Noobs eh?

EDIT: On a related note, cos I only ever seem to play Warhawk I've noticed I've been removed from some people's friends lists - well I'm comfortable with my decision. Every other game can wait! :eek:

I all of a sudden have gotten REALLY GOOD at air combat. Spent all 30 minutes in the air, shot down like 7 planes and only died w/ like 2 minutes left due to 2 planes using homing missiles on me. :D

carlos

Good to see that people are still playing; I'd like to host a small 8 player gathering, but my DSL issues have gotten even worse. I've only finished 2 games in the last 8 hours or so of playtime due to my router/connection crapping out on me :mad:

Oh, and I had such a LOLworty moment the other day, I was playing zones on island outpost and was at one of the bridge bases capturing it along with 4 or 5 of my teammates (we had all gotten there on an APC). I see a tank in the distance coming towards us, so I take out the binoculars and start charging the blast.

All of a sudden, a jeep spawns/materializes right in front of me and blocks the green laser from the binocs just as it was fully charged; I killed myself and all the teammates around me and get instantly booted from the game for teamkilling....that's definitely in my top 5 dumbest moments X)

Tntnnbltn

carlos said:
All of a sudden, a jeep spawns/materializes right in front of me and blocks the green laser from the binocs just as it was fully charged; I killed myself and all the teammates around me and get instantly booted from the game for teamkilling....
:lol :lol

I hate it though when I'm in a room where team damage is turned on but I don't realise. First thing I try to do on CTF is drive to the person running with the flag. I invariably run them over, then feel guilty picking up the flag from their corpse.

slider

Hehe. Nothing as bad as either of those but I do regularly get team mates running right past me as I throw a grenade or fire a rocket launcher and end up suicided.

Carlos, hope the rationing you were trying to implement worked! It'd be great to have a GAF get together again at some point.

Tntnnbltn

I played an entire match of CTF just now in a Warhawk instead of in an APC. It was fun. :D Helped that I had a good flying team, so there wasn't much danger from other Warhawks. I kept flying around and getting lightning bolts to take out the steady parade of APCs marching into my base.

My favourite is when you charge up the lightning and use it on a single person. POW!

slider

Tntnnbltn said:
My favourite is when you charge up the lightning and use it on a single person. POW!

The most satisfying way to kill Warhawk -> to foot. And the best bit? It's almost like it's personal... :D

Tntnnbltn

So Firmware 2.7 added a sustained text chat party system that supports up to 16 people... Chat room party stays connected even if you leave, turn off your system, etc. I'm going to make a Warhawk room. :D

(I've FR'ed a couple people from this page who had their PSN name in their profile)

Tntnnbltn

The Frankman said:
WTH? All of a sudden all the BM CTF games are gone. And I see dogfight games there, never seen them. I didn't change my filters, what's up?
Yeah, I noticed it too. I think they've replaced all of the (BM)-CTF with updated versions of (ALL)-CTF. Applies to US, FR and DE servers.

The new FR-(ALL) has also been updated to include Tau Crater. Pretty sure it used to just be BM and OD.

Tntnnbltn and I played opposite each other in a [ALL] CTF game. I must've killed him like 4 times in a two-minute stretch. Apparently he didn't know the bliss of the bombs... :D

slider

The Frankman said:
Tntnnbltn and I played opposite each other in a [ALL] CTF game. I must've killed him like 4 times in a two-minute stretch. Apparently he didn't know the bliss of the bombs... :D

Ooh, it's on. I tried to join Tntnnbltn yesterday - he was only on for a short while though - but apparently my rank was too high. WTF? It's a well known fact that I'm the worst player here. :|

Grayman

Good Sir, I am certainly worse! At one time I invited over a friend to play DM who had never played Warhawk before and he gave me quite a trouncing.

Tntnnbltn

The Frankman said:
Your mines on Archipelago? I had to keep charging to try and capture the centre base. Had to keep rushing it because there were tanks and planes guarding the first base. And each time I got to the centre base I tried a different way in. Eventually was able to sneak around the outside (on the non-mine side), go past the backdoor to get mines for myself, and come in through the backdoor.

But then after I captured the base only 1 of my team members spawned there to help me defend it. :(

Anyway, I do remember killing you a few times in the centre base for Destroyed Capitol. ;)

As an offnote, I got my PC gaming roommate playing a bit of Warhawk recently. We've been hanging out on Player CTF w/ splitscreen. It's been good.

Tntnnbltn

The room: DE-(ALL)-CTF
The map: Tundra Assault (or whatever it's called)

Ten seconds to go and the lead flag-carrying APC is blown up by a tank. I jump out of my APC and grab it, then keep heading towards the base. No way I'll make it, but still a good way to end the match.

Suddenly, a plane comes in behind me, shooting with it's regular gun. I wonder (1) who tries to kill a high-HP, well defended APC with just a regular gun, and (2) who would be stupid enough to trail that close to an APC in an undercover area.

Whack out the shield, huge explosion, and the message pops up.

[GAF]Tntnnbltn killed [GAF]Carlos

(Game cuts to post-match lobby)

:D

Tntnnbltn said:
The map: Tundra Assault (or whatever it's called)

Ten seconds to go and the lead flag-carrying APC is blown up by a tank. I jump out of my APC and grab it, then keep heading towards the base. No way I'll make it, but still a good way to end the match.

Suddenly, a plane comes in behind me, shooting with it's regular gun. I wonder (1) who tries to kill a high-HP, well defended APC with just a regular gun, and (2) who would be stupid enough to trail that close to an APC in an undercover area.

Got killed by your dumb ass twice in a row.

slider

Grayman said:
Good Sir, I am certainly worse! At one time I invited over a friend to play DM who had never played Warhawk before and he gave me quite a trouncing.

:lol

Well in that case... we should, y'know, maybe be crappy together...
I'll kick your butt.

carlos

Tntnnbltn said:

heh, there was no time left to capture any nearby bases and I wanted to screw around for a sec; I planned to hit you with the machine gun just to let you know I was there and then ram into you with the boost...

kinda forgot about the bubble shield, though X)

and man, Tundra continues to be extremely disorienting for me; I HAVE to fly with the map open or I have no idea where I'm going...

Text chat is pretty nifty, I got knifed once while using the on-screen keyboard, though; I guess I should find a usb keyboard before trying to type a long message.

Btw, I've been trying to get all the in game medals (missing 3; TDM, DM and Legion of honor?)

The TDM one I'm not sure why I haven't gotten it yet, but no worries; the DM one is going to be pretty impossible: need 33 more dm wins :/

But that last medal, it says I need 20 zone defends in a round; what exactly is a zone defend? does killing an enemy inside the colored circle count as one? or do I have to let him get close enough to the flag so that the meter starts going down?

Not that I'll ever get near 100% trophies/badges in this game, but I was reading another thread where a psn account known as Kingofallgames has platinums in pretty much EVERY game. I checked warhawk, and of course he has one there too. Thing is, he got it in around 270 hours which indicates that he was clearly cheating, but it's still impressive, since that seems awfully fast for the high requirements on each weapon/vehicle badges, etc...

Been playing a lot lately.
Got shit loads of ribbons, badges and medals.... but i'm stuck.

I'm stuck at Airman 1st Class.
I got the ranking for the 2 medals above sergeant, but i can't fucking get the Warhawk recruiting for the life of me!

I get in a warhawk, hide for a few minutes then go and try and kill a foot soldier and a vehicle, but can I...? Nope!

When i'm on foot, warhawks kill me quickly, yet i was shooting guys for what seemed like forever and they don't die.

I just take to turret work and sniping instead. got 10kills from 10shots in a game last night

Friendly advice when caught on foot by a Warhawk:

1) Serpentine
2) Don't tip your concealed rocket launcher too early.
3) Grenades are your friend.

slider

DefectiveReject said:
Been playing a lot lately.
Got shit loads of ribbons, badges and medals.... but i'm stuck.

I'm stuck at Airman 1st Class.
I got the ranking for the 2 medals above sergeant, but i can't fucking get the Warhawk recruiting for the life of me!

I get in a warhawk, hide for a few minutes then go and try and kill a foot soldier and a vehicle, but can I...? Nope!

When i'm on foot, warhawks kill me quickly, yet i was shooting guys for what seemed like forever and they don't die.

I just take to turret work and sniping instead. got 10kills from 10shots in a game last night

What The Frankman said. Also what missiles do you use for splatting those suckers on foot? The electricity bolt, fully charged, is great as is the TOW (duh) and the cluster bomb.

dorkimoe

only thing that irritates me about warhawk is, I quit playing for along time and bought all the expansions. But I can't tell which server has what expansion. I know they have the symbols...but i dont remember which symbol goes to what and what expansion had what in it :lol

I just wish everyone had all the expansions and all the servers had the updates so i could play with all the new stuff

slider said:
What The Frankman said. Also what missiles do you use for splatting those suckers on foot? The electricity bolt, fully charged, is great as is the TOW (duh) and the cluster bomb.
whatever missiles i have!
i SWITCHED TO THE PRO CONTROLS AND found it a little easier to kill people.
Tanks are seriously OTT though.

Tntnnbltn

dorkimoe said:
only thing that irritates me about warhawk is, I quit playing for along time and bought all the expansions. But I can't tell which server has what expansion. I know they have the symbols...but i dont remember which symbol goes to what and what expansion had what in it :lol
OD - Omega Dawn - Dropship - Omega Factory
BM - Broken Mirror - APC vehicle - Vaporfield Glacier
FS - Fallen Star - Jet packs - Tau Crater

Most servers now days are (ALL) and contain rotations of OD, BM and FS.

WTF is up with this game?

I got Warhawk Recruiting awarded at the end of a round but the fucker didn't show up in my awards page....?
That was a day and a half ago!

GodofWine

After not having played this since the launch of KZ2...and getting to the point with that 'beautiful mess' that its simply not fun..I popped this in for 2 zone matches tonight and my god I forgot how fun warhawk is...its just so good.

carry on fellow warhawkers.

slider

GodofWine said:
After not having played this since the launch of KZ2...and getting to the point with that 'beautiful mess' that its simply not fun..I popped this in for 2 zone matches tonight and my god I forgot how fun warhawk is...its just so good.

carry on fellow warhawkers.

Time differences aside hit me up. I'm pretty sure you're on my friends list. Same goes for anyone else who's up for some Warhawkery. I wanna show off my new found mine laying skillz.

I'm GMT and hank_scorpio.

(Ignore the "z" at the end of "skillz" - I'm trying to be edgey.)

GodofWine

slider said:
Time differences aside hit me up. I'm pretty sure you're on my friends list. Same goes for anyone else who's up for some Warhawkery. I wanna show off my new found mine laying skillz.

I'm GMT and hank_scorpio.

(Ignore the "z" at the end of "skillz" - I'm trying to be edgey.)

You were...until my account got fried and I lost my entire friends list and game history (luckily online games keep my stats there...) I'll add you back.

I play Warhawk (and motorstorm 2) under my old PSN - TheGodofWine

and everything else under the new account I made while my old one was DOA - PSN - Skigazzi

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Dizzan said:
anyone up.

PSN dizzan

Headset not charged.

I'll add you, I've had a serious Warhawk craving this past weekend.

Oh yeah, and I bought all the expansions when they were on sale last month. So I'm ready for anything.

Lord Phol

This game still worth spending money on? ^^
As is there still a solid online playerbase? :eek:
Guess you'll have to get all the expansions as well.

slider

Fallen Star, IMO, is by far the worst. I never play that map! Not only because of the map itself but I have very little time for the jetpacks. They sounded great in theory but I felt they skewed the balance of vehicles and, crucially, gameplay modes.

Hope someone else chimes in with an opinion though.

Tntnnbltn

My PS3 is back from repair service! Hurray! Except my internet is capped until Tuesday. :(

slider said:
Hope someone else chimes in with an opinion though.
Well regulars know what Warhawk expansion pack I'd vote for. :p

Top Bottom