• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

User 406

Banned
Just get the bundle, that way you'll have all three and won't be booted out of any servers because a map you don't have pops up.

And personally I liked all three expansions, the jetpacks rock and add a nice dimension of gameplay.

User 406

Banned
Eh, the blue servers suck now anyways. Not only have they turned off friendly fire in all but two of them, but they all seem to have lag problems where you can shake off a missile and still take damage a few seconds later, even when everyone in the server has pings under 150. Player ranked is where it's at. BM is pretty popular on a lot of PR servers too. nitto420s is a good server with some BM in the rotation, and MrPips uses it a lot too.

slider

The official servers are weird these days. Dunno why but I always play in official servers (usually prefer the simple rotation set ups).

But yeah, I been getting all sorts of weird lag forcing me to pause and check everyone's ping. A few nights ago everyone was well below 300 but there was all sorts of laggy problems. Throwing grenades and seeing them land at people's feet with no effect. Bah.

Tntnnbltn

Goddamn, played Warhawk for the first time after getting my PS3 back from the repair centre (over a month?).

I forgot how damn awesome this game is. Everything just feels right. The maps, the weapons, the everything.

slider

Tntnnbltn said:
Goddamn, played Warhawk for the first time after getting my PS3 back from the repair centre (over a month?).

I forgot how damn awesome this game is. Everything just feels right. The maps, the weapons, the everything.

Totally agree. But one small niggle... I dunno if it's the servers I'm picking (oddly I only use official ones, despite the troubles they've been giving me recently) and the community definitely seems on the way down. Either servers that aren't full, not that that can't be enjoyable, and the ration of noobs to experienced players is too heavily in favour of noobs. Killing them is fun for only so long.

From the above you'd think I was pretty good. I'm not but I still love this game. Love it!

dorkimoe

i just wish the expansions were free now because its kinda annoying paying for it and then joining servers that dont have it activated. I think it splits up the userbase

i understand they deserve the money, but if i buy it and my friend doesnt (for whatever reason) we get split up and i just hate hunting for specific servers

i just wanna click and join

Tntnnbltn

slider said:
Either servers that aren't full, not that that can't be enjoyable, and the ration of noobs to experienced players is too heavily in favour of noobs. Killing them is fun for only so long.
Maybe you actually are just getting better? It's not out of the question.

When I first started playing blue official servers I used to think it was impossible. I'd go anywhere and get killed. Used to make me want to go back to the noob servers. Now I'm one of the best players each match. I don't get a lot of points because I usually just ferry people carrying the flag, but it takes a damn bit of effort to kill me in an APC.

That being said, I've started flying Warhawks for actual combat instead of transport. It all started because of OD games in my BM rotations. I'm actually starting to get somewhat good. Last night the only times I got killed was when I was hovering around trying to kill someone on the ground and didn't notice someone coming up behind me.

Favourite aerial weapon is the fully charged lightning bolt. Makes the Attrition (OD) map quite good for me. Main reasons:
- No lock-on time required. I can shoot it as soon as I have a good angle
- You can't throw it off like you do a missle lock. Good players are almost untouchable with missles.
- It can hit ships in stealth mode. They are usually a bit more relaxed and don't notice you coming up behind them
- Even if it doesn't kill you, it will incapacitate you. I've seen a whole heap of planes fly up in the sky doing twirls and whatnot to avoid me, only to die from the electricity damage-over-time. You have to either have a health thing nearby, or land your plane and be out of action until you can get to a new one.

Tntnnbltn

The Frankman said:
THAT'S IT> I'm getting on WARHAWK! PM me your game!

EDIT: Coward.
Haha, I wrote post when I got to uni this morning. I can't do miracles. :p

(Still at uni, for the record. Won't be home for a few hours yet)

slider

Sea Manky said:
Woohoo! Hit another milestone today, half a million points. :D

Now I just need to work on the other half. XD

Congrats!

Is that the only stat you keep an active eye on? For me it's trying to edge closer to a positive K/D ratio! I swear those first few months of sucking are still haunting me.

slider said:
Congrats!

Is that the only stat you keep an active eye on? For me it's trying to edge closer to a positive K/D ratio! I swear those first few months of sucking are still haunting me.
I don't even pay attention to positive K/D ratio. The game is designed for you to die. If I die so that others may get the flag/base/live, I don't care.

slider

I used to be like that, I really did! Being a self-sacrificing sort. But then I kept noticing at the end of rounds the top players always had a positive K/D ratio. The straw that broke the camels back was a PSN buddy messaging me to say he was leaving a game because it'd mess up his positive K/D ratio. I'm led astray so easily.

Tntnnbltn

The Frankman said:
I don't even pay attention to positive K/D ratio. The game is designed for you to die. If I die so that others may get the flag/base/live, I don't care.
This. I was going to say "If you play CTF and worry about KDR, you're doing it wrong." :p

Anyway, I think a positive KDR is always going to be elusive. You can have a tonne of good games, but then follow it up with one where your team is getting base-raped and your only option is to keep respawning and try to capture another base or something.

User 406

Banned
Screw KDR. I've won countless games with a KDR close to or below 1.0 because I kept throwing myself at a base that needed taking or the flag until we finally got it. KDR is only meaningful in team deathmatch.

I'm a stat whore in the love looking at them and fiddling with them sense, but not in the playing a certain way to artificially raise them sense. So I just get a kick out of seeing certain numbers pop up like the above or getting 100,000 kills, or comparing the relationship between certain stats.

Probably the only stat that I could say I'm stuck on kind of the way KDR whores usually are is my win/loss ratio. I'm always trying to win.

GodofWine

My KDR blows, but my (recent) winning ratio is good, and I always seem to fall in the top third of points per game.

...now...if Verizon would fix my DSL (6 days now....) I'd gladly be driving people to and from collection points in a non-self-serving manner....f'n verizon.

carlos

congrats on half a million,sea manky, I'm nearly halfway there O.O

oh and screw kdr; got it as high as 2.25, but now its a bit under 2

It's not as fun to play carefully than going all out, all the time

slider

Hehe, I'll take it from guys that know: screw K/D ratio. (I never really liked it anyway.)

The Frankman, PM Sea Manky. He'll see you right.

slider said:
Hehe, I'll take it from guys that know: screw K/D ratio. (I never really liked it anyway.)

The Frankman, PM Sea Manky. He'll see you right.
I pmed him like 5 times...
EDIT: wait I see it in-game. I just joined but I don't see anyone...

User 406

Banned
Frankman, the notification that you FINALLY accepted the clan invite popped up on my screen earlier.

In the middle of a match.

While I was taking an enemy base.

While an enemy warhawk was strafing me.

THANKS FOR GETTING ME KILLED

:p

dorkimoe

i played last night, first time in months

fucking awesome, im getting back into it, no more excuses. I was however sadened by the liek 10 official servers that are up :(

im going to go for the hosting trophy and host a gaf room all day today

NeoGAF-Ranked look for it
20 players little bit of everything

dorkimoe

ok set it up

Didnt know the popular game modes, but i always liked ctf/zones and theres a tdm also

Neogaf[ranked] is the name 20 players, guess thats the best i can do :(.

appreciate it if people play, not that it matters cuz ill still get the trophy, but might as well get some use

Tntnnbltn said:
I've been owned?
Yes you have. Whatcha gonna do about it? Nothing, that's what.

rock.jpg

slider

dorkimoe said:
ok set it up

Didnt know the popular game modes, but i always liked ctf/zones and theres a tdm also

Neogaf[ranked] is the name 20 players, guess thats the best i can do :(.

appreciate it if people play, not that it matters cuz ill still get the trophy, but might as well get some use

Arrgghh, missed it cos I'm travelling. Hopefully see it up again (PS3 back in action in say... 2 weeks). That's if Starhawk hasn't stolen all the thunder at E3.

DireStr8s

quite pissed no "starhawk" @ E3. been playing the shit out of warhawk recently. mostly getting my ass KICKED. psn be DireStr8s. add me!!

dwin45

I just played for the first time in about 5 months. What's the deal with not being able to find what game types I like. For example I want to just play with APC's on CTF. Can I no longer find official servers with just those settings?

Tntnnbltn

dwin45 said:
I just played for the first time in about 5 months. What's the deal with not being able to find what game types I like. For example I want to just play with APC's on CTF. Can I no longer find official servers with just those settings?
They got merged with OD and FS into (ALL)-CTF. :(

On one hand, at least now there's always at least one (ALL) room running. On the other hand, I miss BM Island Outpost :(

I think a large portion quits whenever Tau Crater comes up as well.
At least, I know I do. Doesn't make for exciting CTF in my opinion. Jetpacks are better for modes like DM.

JardeL

I just can't get enough of this game... I've played KZ2 270 hours or so it is good but , Warhawk has something different , it is unique ...

Sony must re-launch Warhawk and make sure everyone play it , at least the demo...

GodofWine

JardeL said:
I just can't get enough of this game... I've played KZ2 270 hours or so it is good but , Warhawk has something different , it is unique ...

Sony must re-launch Warhawk and make sure everyone play it , at least the demo...

agreed, I just got two of my coworkers to buy it...so Im coming back to this with a vengeance. Fear my tank!

I started playing SOCOM too, these two games are so different, yet so good at what they do, I love it. And both communities are small, but stable, and play the games right...unlike those 'big' shooters.

User 406

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Warhawk has that intangible quality that games like Counterstrike and SOCOM have that keep people playing forever.

Been seeing DireStr8s/Nickslicl in a lot of games lately, even saw carlos a few days ago. :)

slider

I'm getting serious withdrawal symptoms. PS3 still offline and I haven't played in over a month.

On the up side I'm now in the same time zone as Chicago so may find Gaffers online more often.

carlos

Sea Manky said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Warhawk has that intangible quality that games like Counterstrike and SOCOM have that keep people playing forever.

Been seeing DireStr8s/Nickslicl in a lot of games lately, even saw carlos a few days ago. :)

Yeah, I'm gonna keep playing till general rank at least (about 130 hours or so to go)

Unfortunately, my router has always been causing me problems and every time I get a call, I'm disconnected from the PSN.

That's why I usually play very late at night only; I only managed one full game on that day we played together

GodofWine

Sea Manky said:

I just got two of my coworkers to buy it...one loves it, one it didnt work for, like the game just didn't work, I wonder if it had to do with the server issue reported above....

I just started playing SOCOM, and I love it...I could sell all my games but these two and be very happy.

slider

Yes! PS3 back online. Although my set-up necessitates a wireless connection; signal strength at PS3 is 47%. Hmm. Currently my old friend is getting a FW update which is taking forever (maybe the crappy ISP or the crappy wireless network) but after that I'm back on Warhawk... (at the current rate that'll be an hour or two!).

God I love this game so much. I am decent in everything but flying. I jump in to a ship every chance I get, but I get blown out of the sky almost instantly.

Is there just a steep learning curve, or am I destined to 4x4 and run?

User 406

Banned
Steep learning curve. There's a ton of badass pilots out there now, but there's no reason you can't learn to be one of them. Just keep at it, and watch what they do and try to emulate it. Here's a good missile dodging tutorial for proflight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX1gDnqJBGM

You can practice the missile dodging in training until you get the hang of it. And eventually you'll be able to refine the rhythm and make the motion smaller, so you can dodge large strings of missiles while still chasing and locking on to a target.

When attacking, always try to release your missiles as close as you can to the target to give them less time to evade. So get your locks, boost in close, and release at the last moment.

Sea Manky said:
Steep learning curve. There's a ton of badass pilots out there now, but there's no reason you can't learn to be one of them. Just keep at it, and watch what they do and try to emulate it. Here's a good missile dodging tutorial for proflight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX1gDnqJBGM

You can practice the missile dodging in training until you get the hang of it. And eventually you'll be able to refine the rhythm and make the motion smaller, so you can dodge large strings of missiles while still chasing and locking on to a target.

When attacking, always try to release your missiles as close as you can to the target to give them less time to evade. So get your locks, boost in close, and release at the last moment.

Awesome - thanks a lot.

I'll just keep at it then.

slider

ShadyMilkman said:
Awesome - thanks a lot.

I'll just keep at it then.

I think Warhawk's like that all round. You take a beating (whether on foot, road or air) but you keep at it.

I'm now comfortable flying but don't have a thing on the expert pilots. I always find you get a measure of the players in a game pretty quickly and I adjust my tactics to what'll work best. Hehe, I'll never forget the time I locked onto Sea Manky with some swarm missles, he evaded and then promptly killed me. How he knew it was me (if he did?) in a 32 player game I'll never know. Needless to say I avoided him thereafter...

Good luck!

Tntnnbltn

My main problem with flying is when I'm under attack by other people. I evade their missiles, and keep evading, and keep evading... until they finally kill me. I'm never able to turn the fight around and get them.

User 406

Banned
Once you get used to dodging missiles, you can start to incorporate it into maneuvers in the direction you want to go. So you can dodge while turning to get on your enemy's six.

And slider, I doubt I knew it was you specifically, I just check my map to see who is shooting at me and get behind them. :p

Top Bottom